Remington Steele

NBC (ended 1987)

Gislef

Remington Steele Fan Reviews (24)

• a real good show from the 80's

7.6
    this show was actually one of the best shows from the 80's in my opinion. it was one of those weekly mystery shows that had plenty of romance and comedy. it always ended the same way, they solve the mystery at the last few minutes and the bad guy goes to jail.
  • It never tried to be anything but entertaining...

...and in that "Remington Steele" succeeded.

It was presented as a tongue in cheek detective show and it never strayed from the path in that sense. But where the show won hearts I think, was in its entertaining if implausible story line, the relationship between the protagonists, the bumbling but lovable supporting characters and the never dull life they all found themselves entwined in. It kind of reminded me of a scaled-up version (in terms of scope and characters) of "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" which I also loved to watch. Too bad this kind of lighthearted fun is largely considered passe today.

Of course Pierce Brosnan was an instant attraction and he played this lovable scoundrel to a T. Though I admit I was always feeling the need to feed him a sandwich or something...

Stephanie Zimbalist was a perfect foil to Brosnan's "Steele" and their chemistry was a large part of the show's success. Wonder where she is today??

Definitely not brain surgery, but infinitely more fun!
  • Remington Steele is just hilarious. It is amazing that a show made in the 80ies still works today.

Remington Steele is just hilarious.
    I know the show since I was a little kid of about 10 years and I totally loved it then. Now with a rerun (in German Television) and the season 1 DVD release I re-discovered it and well, I do still love it.
    But I have to admit that I totally forgot that Mildred Krebs wasn’t always part of the show. And to be honest: I don’t like her nowadays. Having watched season one with Bernice and Murphy I think they were more fun than her. And the dynamic between Laura and Remington was better in season 1 as well. Because their relationship was full of (sexual) tension and one was excited whether they will get together or not. In season 2 they do kiss one episode but then for another three episodes nothing will happen. That’s so unrealistic. Well, at least from present point of view…
    However, it is amazing that a show made in the 80ies still works today.
  • Laura Holt is a female private detective who has a fictional male boss. A con-man/burglar who is after the jewels she is hired to protect gives up his pursuit of the gems and assumes Remington Steele's identity.

I was in high school when this show debuted. I heard that accent and took one look at Pierce Brosnan in that tuxedo and KNEW that he would be the next James Bond. My father, who's favorite 007 is the original, said that PB was too thin (I believe "candy-ass" was term he used). But I was convinced.

This was a very cool show, especially when we got a glimpse into Remington's past. I liked the earlier episodes with the other male detective who worked for Laura and competed with Remington for her affections. I guess the producers decided to eliminate a rival and introduce some comic relief by getting rid of Murphy and bringing in Mildred.
  • A quirky role reversal detective show, with the girl calling the shots, and the guy providing the window-dressing.

This show was definitely a favorite, coming out during my senior year in college. The day I saw Pierce Brosnan in this role at the show premiere, I *knew* he would be a Bond one day. And so it would later come to pass once Timothy Dalton was out of the way. Brosnan would go on to handle the role of James Bond for real, with the right mix of sexiness and aplomb.

The quirky platonic twosome with the sparks between them, is an old pairing going back to the days of the "Thin Man" series in the 1930s with William Powell and Myrna Loy, or similar early pairings of Fred & Ginger or Bogey and Sophie, etc. And so, with their winsome advisor played by a younger Doris Roberts, this new twosome - Stephanie Zimbalist (then touted as Efrem Jr.'s daughter) the career woman, and Pierce Brosnan, the former petty thief and con man, would work their way through a myriad of mysteries - she always mindful of using her skills to solve the crimes and keep her business intact, and he bumbling about using old mystery movies as his resource, but managing to play the fictious role of head of his (fake) namesake's detective agency, when needed.

All in all, an enjoyable hour, and its success would spur on copycats like "Moonlighting", which debuted a few years later on ABC. Unfortunately due to its surprising success as a freshman series debuting on the so-called death night of Friday, they moved the show around alot (to Tuesdays, and even Thursdays and I think even Mondays), in order to have it be a lead-in to less successful shows. It essentially became a part of the Brandon Tartikoff revival of NBC, joining shows like A-Team, Cheers, Family Ties, Gimme a Break!, Knight Rider, Hill St. Blues, St. Elsewhere, Miami Vice, and finally The Cosby Show, that would propel the network to the top after years in the ratings cellar. But like most shows, it would run its course, and after just barely getting the go-ahead for a 5th season at the last minute (scuttling Brosnan's plans to be Bond in License to Kill), it drifted to finality in 1987.
  • Comedy and Drama mixed perfectly.

I havn't seen all that many episodes of it, but the ones i have saw are pretty good. It mixes Comedy and Drama pretty well perfectly. Noramly i really don't like all that many Drama shows, but since this show as humor mixed it i like it haha. Remington Steele acts like a James Bond at times. The funny thing is that the same guy played both Remington and Bond. I think its a superb classic series that should of been a bit more populour. Well thats about all i can say about the the show. Later. . . .
  • Ten Best Remington Steele Episodes

A little-known fact about "Remington Steele"--it was originally conceived by long-time director Robert Butler in 1969--the same year "Star Trek" was cancelled by NBC. Perhaps Butler meant to pitch "Steele" to NBC as a possible replacement for "Trek". Unfortunately, as he found out, this series about a woman fronting a detective agency but choosing to invent a character who turns out to be an agent adopting her imaginative moniker was too far ahead of its time. That may explain why there was a 13-year lapse between conception and reality. In the meantime, here are my all-time favorite episodes:

10. "License To Steele"/Tempered Steele"--These two episodes from Season 1 are combined as the series pilot, which establishes the aforementioned premise;

9. "Steele In The News"--Remington and Laura investigate threats at a television station after its newscast switches from hard news to a tabloid-style format;

8. "Steele Crazy After All These Years"--Laura and Remington investigate the events surrounding Murphy's college graduation reunion;

7. "High Flying Steele"--Remington and Laura go undercover as circus performers;

6. "Scene Steelers"--This episode focuses on sabotage during filming of TV commercials;

5. "Stronger Than Steele"--Apparently "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening watched this episode, as he developed the Radioactive Man character who is similar to the Atomic Man that is featured;

4. "Illustrated Steele"--A comic strip artist illustrates events that literally come to life;

3. "Steele On The Air"--A traffic reporter's death features a prominent morning duo as the prime suspects;

2. "Love Among The Steele"--A 1936 roadster keeps appearing, leading to a trail of murder and intrigue;

1. "Steele In The Chips"--A scientist who invented the no-cal cookie goes missing; the chase scene parallels both "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and the later 2001 remake, "Rat Race". A definitive classic; it was the only one co-penned by actress Stephanie Zimbalist.
  • Remington Steele the great detective does not exist is the lead in for this show.

Laura Holt (Stephanie Zimbalist) a female private detective. Loved adventure and apprenticed and put her name on an office. Nobody knocked down her door. So she invented a superior named Remington Steele. Then a man shows up and assume Remington Steele's identity. Remington Steele (Pierce Bronson) was blue eyed and dark brown haired man with a mysterious past who always wore suits and quoted movies. They teamed well together through 4 seasons 5 if you count two two-hour movies. They were joined in the cast by Murphy Michaels and Bernie Fox in season 1. They left the show Murphy (to open his own detective agency) and Bernice (who ran off with a guy). Then they were joined by Mildred Krebs (former IRS women who became their secretary and a helper in detecting. This is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I also got to meet Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimablist so that makes it very special.
  • the show is about a female p.i. that has trouble attracting with her name so she decies to use a mans name and bingo cients galore. but in the process a mystery man shows up an assumes the role.

i really enjoy watching this show because it's funny, it has a battle of the sexes theme thru out the series. i one thing i did not like was when they put tony roselli in season 5 because it was like starting the series all over again. this was pierce brosnan breakout role and also stephanie zimbalist's. they had good chemisity between the both of them. loved the movie refs. and the locations. hope a movie is in the works. the guest stars were on there game. the action was great and exciting. the series ended right and finally made them consummate there relationship.
  • The Humphrey Bogart connection

Our nameless hero has 5 passports in 5 different names. These names are all characters portrayed by Humphrey Bogart in various films. "Harry", as he is called by his mentor (played by Efrem Zimbalist, is an expert on old movies, especially Bogart he assumes the identity of Remington Steele, he never mentions that Bogart portrayed a character named Dixon watched every episode numerous times and he never refers to this coincidence! Are the writers playing a joke on us? Could they have been unaware of this? Any thoughts?
  • Since This show dissappeared from my television network my heart has been utterly smased ino pieces.

As a child i would watch this show everytime it came on. I'd get the remote switch it to 61 and watch Remington Steele right after Scarecrow and Mrs. King. I remember sitting just a few inches away from my television set and wishing i was in the show. i loved it when they went under cover. One of the epiodes that sticks out is that of when They went under cover as a married couple. The whole premise of the show is wonderful. That A frankly stupid good looking male takes all the credit for a womans work. The fact we know who really solved the case makes us above everyone else in the show. I'd love to see more and more of them and maybe just maybe some GOOD remakes.
  • When you combine Laura Holt, a smart, brassy, and attractive woman who is determined to make a name for herself, with Remington Steele, a cultured, handsome, and extremely charming man without a history, you get the best detective show of the 80s.

"Remington Steele" has the elements of humor, mystery, and most importantly, romance. Together, Laura and Steele solve complex murder mysteries in high society, while maintaining a relationship that borders on the romantic. Yes, this is one of those shows where the couple has an 'on-again, off-again, rocky-romance'. So, maybe you could add suspense to that list of elements. But this was one of the reasons the show did so well. Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist did a superb job in their roles, creating that chemistry, humor, and class that drew me to the show. One of the first episodes that I saw was "Red Holt Steele", and it is one of my favorites. Steele's love for Laura shines through in this episode as he puts her ahead of himself and we see his character develope. And of course the best scene, in the whole series in my opinion, is in this ep. Your heart just starts fluttering and tears start to fall as Laura walks into her new apartment (her house was burned down and she lost everything-specifically her piano) and in the middle of the empty room is a baby grand with a vase of flowers and a big bow. AH. Tell me that's not romantic.
  • Humorous detective story with a pinch of romance

I came across this show quite recently and needless to say, I got hooked up on it right away. It is very different from current detective series like "Law and Order" or "CSI".

"Remington Steele" is not only about detective work and mystery, but also about the complex relationship between Remington Steele and Laura Holt. It is a Screwball comedy where the viewers know that the characters are meant to be together, because the chemistry is there, but something or someone always gets in their way. For example, every time they start kissing, either bullets fly around their heads, Mildred comes into the room or some other emergency interrupts them. That is not the only problem: Laura desperately wants to know about Remington's shadowy past, which he does not like to talk about. She wants to know his real name, which how it turns out, not even he knows. Only in the final episode the viewer is convinced, that they get together.
  • A woman private eye needs more clients so she make a fake male boss to draw more people in. When things are strating to look up, alot of clients have been ? about this Remington Steele fellow but lucky Pierce Brosnan charcter comes in and try his best to

I watched the show for only to seconds and i was hook. It\'s like a new drug for me i watch as much as possible meaning everynight it\'s that good. I also love this show because without we won\'t have Pierce Brosnan. What a great show it should get a 20 out 10 because it\'s that good. You can say whatever you want I will always love it.
  • this is the story of a female PI who decides to make up a boss so that she can have clients. the plan worked until a gorgeous con man assumes the role of this ficticious boss.

I love this show and I did from the beginning. this show is so funny and so romantic. it was also great to remember about all those movies Steele was so fond of. Brosnan and Zimbalist looked amazingly great together. I was (and still am) so fond of this show that I remember I had to wake up at 5 am to watch the 5th season( all because of the French broadcasting). I've always been happy to be able to catch any re-run. the two actors were great with their mimics. I loved when Remington and Laura were figthing. Now I\'m delighted about the dvd release. I\'m so much looking for the last three seasons to be released.
  • Fluff, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Today, people remember "Remington Steele" more as Pierce Brosnan's break-out role and that it cost him his first shot at the role of 007. But it's more than that (not much more, however). It's a light-hearted romantic comedy/mystery that stood out in the 1980s field of tough guy, shoot 'em up action shows.

On the one hand, "Remington Steele" is pure 1980s TV fluff. Like so many other shows, the acting is hammy, the scripts are predictable and nothing about the episodes stays with you long. But on the other hand, hidden within this are two great performances, strong chemistry and a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor that occasionally elevates the material.

What set "Steele" apart from the pack? It's the stars - Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist. Sure, they were gorgeous people on dangerous assignments in exotic locales, but they were damn fun to watch, particularly in their flirtatious banter and frustrated arguments. The show itself was sometimes a bit smarter than the competition as well. For one thing, a woman was the star (not just eye candy) and actually more capable than her male counterpart. Secondly, the stories were (at first) a bit more farcical and light hearted. The notion of making Brosnan's character a film buff also allowed for a lot of allusions to classic films and actors. As the show went on, the action was amped up a little more and Brosnan's Mr. Steele became more of a man of action. But at first, he was essentially a dandy who needed Stephanie Zimbalist to bail him out at the sign of trouble.

If you're a fan of mysteries, or if you want to see how Pierce Brosnan showed the world he could be James Bond, "Remington Steele" is worth a spin on your rental queue. It's great viewing - it's light, entertaining and when it's over there's nothing left hanging.
  • A light-harded, descent television show.

Remington Steele, the super-sleuth invented by Laura Holt because nobody would hire a woman, showed up on her doorstep one day. The man without a name assumed the role of Remington Steele, always making mistakes and accusing the wrong people until Laura steps in and clears everything up, and him always taking the praise. The show, while not being too funny for it's genre, was always light-harded, such as them being shot at every time that they try to kiss. Season two brought the addition of a secretary, former IRS officer Mildred Krebs, who became so intrigued by their lifestyle while she was investigating them, that she left her position as an IRS agent to become their secretary. Not that she was to lead an unadventurous life- quite the opposite: I recall a time when she was kidnapped, and herself shot at, to name a few of her trials. A wonderful show that ended too soon.
  • Since nobody trusts her to solve their cases, Laura Holt invents a masculine boss ..

Laura Holt has always dreamed of playing detective and enjoys solving mysteries. However, because she is a woman, nobody seems to trust her in solving the cases. So she invents a fictitious boss “Remington Steele” who is always unavailable because he’s busy or not in the country, but in fact, she is the one solving the cases. Her ruse seemed to be working fine until one day she is busted by a mystifying man who assumes the identity of Remington Steele. Mildred Krebs is the secretary of their agency by is more of a motherly figure that watches over both. While working together, Laura and “Mr Steele” start to develop a certain attraction towards each other.
  • love this show!

I would have to say that I've been a fan of Pierce Brosnan eversince I saw Remington Steele! Mystery, romance and comedy all-in-one show, what more can you ask for! I think that's the main reason why it captured the hearts of its audiences. Well, one more thing, Pierce is damn hot in this show! I bought my own copy at dvdbooth. comcertainly good quality! Surely a must have for every Remington Steele and Pierce Brosnan fans. This show is really an epic!
  • Witty and romantic sleuth drama featuring the down-to-Earth Laura Holt and the suave, enigmatic Remington Steele. Step into a world where the client's case is only the second mystery.

Laura Holt heads up a detective agency that bears her name. She has a partner and a sharp-as-tacks secretary. Everything should be fine.

Except it's not.

The world does not beat a path to her door. Anxious for some opportunity, Laura creates a fake associate, a man with a past--if only he had a future: Remington Steele.

This does the job. Suddenly Holt has more cases than you can shake a stick at.

It's even more of surprise when a man shows up with the actual name of the invented personality.

At first 'Remington' galls at the idea of helping Laura sort out her workload, but despite the clash of wills, Steele learns to fit in. If only to shake off the people still trailing him because he made his name on the other side of the law.

Together, the straight arrow and the daring card make for an odd but fitting team. They solve cases using a mixture of Steele's unorthodox brainstorming and Laura's more conventional methods. Over time, the two also discover that a personal magnetism is among the most compelling of mysteries.

With funny scripts that play out like good whodunit novels, and character styles drawn from the classic movies they often quote, 'Remington Steele' was a remarkable success on many levels. Still a treat to watch.
  • A Very Smart Show

When i first saw it on dvd i said wow. Its just smart and funny. Remington Steele is one of those characters u just gotta love. The story is simple. Laura Holt is a private eye who gets no case cause she is female. So Laura Holt makes Mr. Steele up for her job. Now she gets cases all the time. Then a con man shows up trying to steal some diamonds. He doesnt and decides to take over Steeles idenity since he dont exist. So he goes straight and no longer a con man. She goes along with it cause it makes thing easy for her. Since in pilot someone wanted to meet Steele though he didnt exist. So he helped her out by becoming steele. I like the plots and the actors. Murphy & Fox were good characters but are only on season one. When season two starts, it just gets even better. With Mildred Krebs a new character. She works well as she gives more respect to Steele than Holt. In the end just a great mystery show.
  • What a great show!

I was born in 1986, so I never got to see the show when it was first on the air. I got hooked on this show while living in France, and watching it with all of the dialogue dubbed over into French! When I got back to the states, I noticed that it was playing on a local station. When they stopped playing Remington Steele, i was so sad!! I just reconnected with the show through DVD..
    Always a classic. Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimblist are two great actors! The plots of the episodes are always amusing, and very clever.
    Another reason to watch? Pierce Brosnan is just plain cute!
  • One of my all time favorite shows! I have loved this show since it first aired on NBC in 1982. I wish that I could find it on tv somewhere now.

This is one of my all time favorite television shows. I have loved this show since it first aired on NBC in 1982. Pierce Brosnan is one of my 3 most favorite actors. Stephanie Zimbalist is also a very talented actress and had alot of chemistry with Brosnam I think. The plots were always intriguing and always kept me coming back. Even at my young age then. I think that NBC made a HUGE mistake in cancelling Remington Steele when they did. It was/is one of the best shows EVER shown on television.
  • Fantastic Show

' Remington Steele ' was a show ahead of it's time as had this show premiered 5 years later it would have been a bigger success. The show starred great talents in Pierce Bronsnan and Stephanie Zimblast (Daughter of of the great Efram Zimblast Jr).
    The producers cast this how perfectly as Pierce Brosnan was an ideal fit for his role. Who couldn't believe Pierce as the con artist who assume the role of Remington Steele or Stephanie Zimblast as the vulernable beauty who c eated the mythical Remington Steele.
    This show also starred Doris Roberts in one of her best roles ever.
WZME