Renegade

Lyons' Roar

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 04, 1993 on USA

• Reno sets out to bring in a former comrade from his Army Ranger days, who now is addicted to morphine and has gone insane, living in the wilderness, who is being hunted by both trigger-happy authorities and drug runners. Not quite a classic, but good...

This review contains spoilers.

Although not quite perfect, "Lyons' Roar" is a decent first season 'Renegade' episode, that sees Reno forced to go up against an old Army Rangers comrade who has now gone insane after being dishonourably discharged.

Playing the troubled Early Lyons, is Sam Jones (who sometimes uses the credited name Sam J. Jones). Jones is a regular 1980s/90s TV guest performer, who never quite made it to the "front line" of TV stars, but put in some respectable performances, and starred in the excellent, sadly short-lived 1987/8 TV series 'The Highwayman' (which I am lucky enough to own a "private" complete set of on DVD, and have recently reviewed every single episode of here on TV.com).
    Jones' acting as the wild Lyons is hardly the sort of performance that would win an Emmy, but does what's required for the episode, and it may just be my previous connection with Jones, but I did take to the character.

This is a pretty good 'Renegade' episode. I did feel a few of the earlier scenes didn't fully hit the mark, bringing my overall rating down a bit, and maybe the limitations of budget and filming time also kicked in, as the whole cat-and-mouse game between Lyons and Reno feels like it should have been more elaborate. But this is made up for by some much better scenes later on, with a good climax with Reno and Lyons once again fighting side-by-side against the drug runners whom Lyons double-crossed, and a nice final scene, with Lyons (whom Reno saved from being shot by the authorities) now in a Veterans Hospital, being treated and making a good recovery for his condition(s).

In all, this doesn't quite make a series classic "10" rating from me, mostly due to the odd earlier scene that doesn't fully work (and I can't help but feel that if someone like series creator Stephen J. Cannell himself had penned this episode, it might have been sharp enough to be the 10 it might have been), but even so, the far better stages later on, and a good guest turn by Jones, lift this episode to a very respectable 9.5 rating from me.