Renegade

Second Chance

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 24, 1992 on USA

• Conman Lou Delgado skips out on the bail his girlfriend pays to spring him from jail. Soon after, he witnesses a murder arranged by crime-lord Karl Swan, and is ends up on the run both from Swan's hitmen, and Reno, who is sent to bring him in. Excellent..

This review contains spoilers.

A few episodes in, and 'Renegade' has really found it's footing by now. Coming after "Mother Courage", this is the second episode in a row that I have totally loved.

James Darren (star of everything from 'The Time Tunnel' to 'T.J. Hooker', future recurring role in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' et al), puts in a great performance as conman Lou Delgado. Darren is always good value for money, and I really warmed to his character in this episode.

A trivia note: much of the helicopter footage in this episode, is recycled from the first season 'A-Team' episode 'Till Death Do Us Part' (also produced by Stephen J. Cannell); I've watched 'The A-Team' for too many years to be healthy (I even run my own detailed fan site, shameless plug!) and love spotting these little things.

Anyway, the plot of "Second Chance" is very enjoyable, and held my attention throughout.

Unsurprisingly, Lou turns out to have a good heart, but I could live with this, as I would have felt kinda ripped off if such a character, especially one played by Darren, hadn't come up trumps in the end.
    I actually foresaw the twist of his girlfriend Jeanette only posing as Swan's new girl to find and save Lou, but I think this was just more down to be being waaay to familiar with TV shows of this genre, and it was still a nice twist.

The final scene, of Lou marrying Jeanette before behind handcuffed and led away, is a nice close to a really enjoyable episode.

I give "Second Chance" a definite 10 out of 10.