Rescue Me

Animal

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 15, 2007 on FX

• It was like a Gavin Family Christmas!

A fantastic episode, through and through. Well, maybe not all the way through, but still... good stuff to be seen here. Mike's depressed stupor in which he tried to kill himself, but only ended up cutting himself several times on the butt with a razor blade; Uncle Teddy and his adversity to rehab or any sort of intervention; the new chief and his misguided rand; and finally, Tommy's jump from the roof of a 30 story building. Now, I know that the show has always been racy and is consistently toeing the proverbial line, but when Tommy jumped from the roof, I was beside myself for a moment. Was the Dolorean waiting beneath to bring him up? I wondered if Dennis Leary had the balls to kill himself off as lead in his own series. Of course, he just hit the fire escape, and in true Gavin fashion, nearly died due to faulty construction.

The arc with the insanely jealous and naively optimistic Janet was interesting, and to see how things play out with she/Sheila/Tommy will probably end up with a character offed or in prison. I think that the odds of at least one series regular going bye bye by season's end is pretty plausible at this point. Probably Mike, the chief, Sheila, or Janet. This episode seemed to support the theory.