Rescue Me Forums

FX (ended 2011)

Finale

gpatton

[1]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 3

Once more, after a fairly decent season, the writers slowly lost their way. How many times is Tommy going to "die" avoiding the actual death by some kind of miracle at the last minute (fire at Sheila's and now shot by Teddy; what a crock! YOU KNOW that someone is going to distract Teddy, grab the gun and call 911. The only other option is that this is the end of the series, unless they twist it and he becomes Jimmy's partner in the nether-world.

The Sheila and Janet twist? Low point of writing: this is the best the writers could do? Both need to have their head's examined and they need to be put away. Katy? A bit of a coniving witch like her mom, wouldn't you say--the irony is that she feels the same way about Janet.

The only high point of the season was Lou's smackdown of Candy. Loved it and it was funny. Funniest spot--Jergen's Rub On Tan.

WHY this show is getting the accolades it is, is beyond me.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pgsuperfan

[2]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 25
    What a surpsise ending to the season. Who would have thought that Tommy would get shot. Love the fight between Janet and Sheila WOW

soccermom

[3]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 11
    As someone who has not watched the show before this season, Haven't see any oher cliff hanger but I feel that I sort of have a good handle on most of the characters. I found the finale to be a hoot and a heart shaker. Don't know Ellie....or the Teddy situation. LOVED Kelly's analogy of why Sheila and Janet are at odds -adults and the fact that her character appears to be the only 'adult' among man, many nonadults. Actually enjoyed Katy's scene.....especially Lou's 'you should be so proud' comment. As for the end, it totally caught me by surprise but in retrospect, I suppose it was a coming. Teddy was right. Tommy IS the only one that apparently doesn't pay when he screws up. IF he does in fact die....and we have to deal with Tommy as a ghost next season...I am gone as a viewer. But I am holding out for that 'miraculous savior' (Damien...on the muscle about his Mom?? Janet...looking for Katy??) to step in and save his sorry excuse for a butt. I seriously want the dip sh** to live happily ever after with Kelly.

SMGslayer97

[4]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 34
    Look I won't say that the shooting wasn't dramatic, scary and suprising but I find it hard to accept story lines like this as actually believevable in the sense that Rescue me is more or less (in a general sense) the Tommy Gavin show. Short of the series finale they aren't actually going to kill him off so for me that takes away from some of the drama. Were in any other character it would have a much more dramatic feel but it's Tommy so that takes away from the possibility that he might die.

The rest was good though. The Sheila/Janet stuff was hilarious on all counts. Loved that they put them together in this episode, made a great resolution to both of them getting reinvolved with Tommy this year. The Tommy/Sheila stuff was all very appropriate and for me was the most dramatic part of the episode. Janet mya be manipulative at time and the new girl Kelly may not take any of his stuff but Sheila out of the three is the one who more often then not takes the low road. Bringing up Kelly's baby! Tommy should never have told Lou, Damian shouldn't have ever repeated something like that but Sheila was the one who really took it to that disturbing level. I sometimes forget the depths she'll sink to.

krussell47

[5]Sep 3, 2009
    • level: 12
    The shooting, I think, wasn't the most shocking part about what when down this episode. I think it's the fact that Teddy shot Tommy in front of everyone and is holding them at gunpoint, forcing them to watch Tommy slowly die. That is the crazy part and I can't for the new season to start up so we can see what eventually happens.

bmbusaf

[6]Sep 3, 2009
    • level: 3

Sooo, a lead character nearly dies twice in 5 years in dramatic series and that's your problem? "how many times is Tommy gonna 'die..." makes it sound like they've done it over and over again.

I think the reason you don't understand the accolades the show gets is because you don't get the show, or because you are one of those people who never has anything good to say about anything, because being negative somehow makes you feel special.

SMGslayer97

[7]Sep 4, 2009
    • level: 34
    bmbusaf wrote:

Sooo, a lead character nearly dies twice in 5 years in dramatic series and that's your problem? "how many times is Tommy gonna 'die..." makes it sound like they've done it over and over again.

I think the reason you don't understand the accolades the show gets is because you don't get the show, or because you are one of those people who never has anything good to say about anything, because being negative somehow makes you feel special.

....mad much? j/k

My point was that when a lead character comes close to death it just isn't as dramatic as when for example a supporting character comes close to death because there is almost always little no chance that they would or could kill off the lead character.

Having said that of course Tommy is going to almost die many, many times. For starters he's a firefighter and he's also a crazy ballsy irresponsible guy (the blow torch incident) who likes to associate with people who like to try and kill him. He's boung to almost die really ever couple episodes or so. I have no problems with that. It's these kind of cliff hanger ones that I just don't care for because as I said there's little to chance they'd actually kill him so the drama is lost. At least when it's not a cliff hanger the drama of the moment is easier to feel and accept.

Anyway...

DreamCruise

[8]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 13
    I don't think the point of the finale was Tommy getting shot (of course he will survive), I think the point will be how he reacts to it next season. Will he regret all his drinking and womanizing? Will he try to change? Maybe......at least it would be a new twist for the storyline. I am getting tired of what IMO is turning into the Tommy and his Women show, I"d like to see more action (fires..hello?) but it's still a brilliant series.

tjaman

[9]Sep 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    SMG: That was probably more of a reaction to the first entry. Me, I loved the finale. There's been so much really good dialogue in this show lately, and the Janet/Sheila/Kelly exchange was wicked. Sheila: "Oh so that must mean you've checked out my ass. You know Tommy has. He likes the shape." Janet: "He didn't mention the size?" Sheila: "You know, I quit smoking."

More of my reaction at my podcast. Enjoy!