Rescue Me

Pieces

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 01, 2006 on FX

• Hilarious!!!

This is one hilarious episode. The part where Lou is writing down what is happening when Sean asks for Maggie's hand in marriage so that Tommy won't miss it is classic, I am glad that Lou is back and in full form! Also, the Sean misinterpretation of "batting for the other team" is a perfect example of why Sean wants to marry Maggie, he is stupid. The tommy and Sean dynamic is funny too, it is so indicative of the way Sean looks up to Tommy, it is almost like he is marrying Maggie just so that he can be Tommy's brother. Tommy is his idol, and leads the cast well. Tommy trying to keep the crew together is also an example of why Denis Leary leads the cast. He is the heart and soul of the firehouse. He even sticks up for Mike when he reveals his secret in an attempt to keep their crew fully intact. By far my favorite part of the episode and maybe the entire series up until this point is when all of the guys are high from the "smoke". That interaction is so funny, and I had to keep stopping the DVR because I was laughing so hard I kept missing parts. Sean posing for the parking meter, and Mike only putting "6" as his social security number, Franco wanting to listen to Reggae, Tommy and Lou talking about food, and who they would and wouldn't sleep with, and Tommy's reaction in the very beginning when he has dry mouth, and starts to drink the rain, is completely hilarious, along with the line about recalling his disbelief in God, because he sent Pizza when they were hungry. Also, the guy that was growing the "stuff", says he was growing Geraniums, and looked so funny trying to keep a straight face. This kind of writing is the reason I watch the show.
  • Janet is knocked up

Great episode, Cant beleave only 4 eps are left, But Janet is knocked up, There's a twist. And then Lou gets a nice new bike, Almost looks custom built, But they dont give you a good enough side glance to figure that out. They house finds out Mike had some male on male experiences, threatens to leave the house but then Tommy gives him a big hug and assures the house that hes fine.
  • Stack's not doing so well, Probie is outed, Jerry's losing Jeannie more and more, Nat's live-in isn't what Franco thinks, Lou's looking toward the southland and Tommy gets even more bad news. And Garrity's an idiot. But then we already knew

Standout performance of the night was Garrity, edging out Mike just by a bit.

Garrity asking for Tommy's dad's blessing to marry Mags. And that whole conversation -- him asking Garrity if he's really sure about this.

Then [i]all[/i] of Garrity's touching of Tommy. Hilarious.

But the biggest thing. Oh. My. G-d. Garrity confronting Mikey about "playing for the other team."

Sean is such a [i]dumbass[/i]!

The writing on that skite was beautiful -- "How come you never told me? I might've joined you!"

Last week it looked like Chris came right out and told them. And prick that he was, if he'd talked to anyone a little quicker on the pickup, he pretty much did.

But to parlay Sean's breathtaking density into an accidental outing ...

That was some funnyass skite.

The crew's reactions reassured me at first -- that they'd on some level or another just been assuming that Mikey was gay.

Then when it became "[i]gay[/i] gay," I was a little taken aback.

Jerry, however, who awhile ago didn't even want to hear about Sean getting blown by a preop, telling everyone to shut up and let Mikey speak ... that guy's grown a lot of class over the years. And also some respect for Mikey, I think.

The guys really turned on him, tho. I mean, none of them have ever given Mikey a little smile. Or a series of smiles. Tho the show is real enough. I mean, everyone was horrified by Sully -- in fact, if you want to picture them mincing up and down on chairs clutching at their skirts screaming "Eek! A [i]f--[/i]!" the image isn't out of place.

Mikey is still Mikey. And Tommy knew it. And his own ... uncomfortableness about Mikey's possibly ripping his clothes off with his eyes every 10 seconds aside, he knew how much he needed to keep the house together.

Because from his perspective, it's all falling apart.

But if Tommy hadn't been there to stand up for Mikey, how do you think that scene would've played out?

Maybe Jerry would've reached out to him. But like his best friend, the little deer in the woods, was going to a scary place. Franco, the "that's a g-ddamn no" calendar poser couldn't deal.

I wonder if Lou would've stood up for him.

Lou is a big ball of bitter sometimes, and we know he absolutely loathes women. But he's probably the smartest guy in the house and he ...

If Tommy wasn't there -- and even tho Tommy is -- Lou might be out of it himself. He might not have the emotion to invest in making sure Mikey feels comfortable staying in the group.

And he was the one who who floated the bet -- "$10 bucks Mikey's hard."

I don't know if a hug from Tommy will keep Mikey in the house -- in the family -- but it was a nice gesture. And really this is something that probably comes up occasionally with guys working together really closely with each other, and this show had the balls to discuss it.

Sully was out. But Sully hadn't grabbed Stack and Sully had been all over everyone in the house while pretending to just be one of the guys. It took him in a dress to get Tommy back to the house, so yay. But Mikey's been a part of their lives for a good long time.

I need to talk about Deb and Sheila. Sheila misses Jimmy -- a lot (and never mind Janet. How Sheila's gonna explain her [i]own[/i] pregnancy is beyond me -- especially when Tommy finds out it's his [not a spoiler; pure speculation -- but it's a natural progression of this storyline].) But she's distanced herself from the loss some and the money seems like it could be important.

Deb is right at the dawn of her loss. And from her perspective, the widows have nothing. Because her husband is half a man, possibly at death's door, and he's her entire world. All they've got is a little bit of money.

Even at $3.1 million.

Which surprised me. And unsettled me. I wondered if that was all Sheila's or it was the entire account and she misread something. But even if it wasn't all hers (and it probably is), her portion would be a nice chunk of change.

In other scenes ...

It was nice of Karleen to absolve Jerry of his guilt over Rose. She did presume and intrude, but she meant well, and honestly it's something Jerry needed to hear. Remember Jeanne the way she was. Remember the way she looked at you with love. She's in a fog of confusion and you're getting her the best care you can. You're standing by her in sickness.

Forsaking all others didn't necessarily include [i]yourself[/i], too.

Some guys really need to be married. I get the sense that Jerry's one of those guys. The fact that he reached out to Rose for some support ... well, Bud may not approve, but I'm not judging.

Nat's brother is a problem. He's unstable and he's insufficiently medicated and it's hard to get a read on him, but damn, taking care of him has to be a day-in, day-out job of work for her. And if he lashes out in some way, well ... he's a pretty big guy.

I was just watching Tommy through this entire episode. Watching him try to hold it together. Just knowing the tiniest bit of what kind of pain and pressure is on him and waiting for the explosion.

It didn't come.

But I don't remember any music, either.

Tommy finds out about Mikey maybe leaving last week ... crying jag. Not necessarily over him, specifically, but over his loss in general.

Lou maybe leaving, Franco studying for that exam, Garrity's future in no way certain ...

Tommy. Alone.

Maybe with Sheila and maybe not (and what a homey scenario [i]that[/i] is -- Mr. and Mrs. Psycho-Slut).

Him losing pieces of his family left and right. And Janet pregnant.

Nice.

That guy is heading for a very deep end.

So dark and depressing. Let's just leave off with the image of Teddy gettin' some. :D

All in all, tho ...

... damn' fine and powerful show.

Good work as always, guys. :)
  • the probie reveals his secret. johnny gives tommy the news of janet\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s pregnency. garrity continues wedding plans. franco learns of his girlfriend\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s secret. very good episode, sort of a link to whats to come.

well i\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d say theres evidence in this episode that garrity may in fact be the funniest character on the show. his density in this episode was probably at his highest. some important things were revealed in this episode other then the information of janet being pregnet which actually was sort of predictable. francos girlfriend\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s brother obviously has some problems but he seemed pretty violent which may lead to franco breaking up with the girl. i dont know how anyone would be able to deal with that. there was nothing wrong with this episode, i\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d say the season has been doing very well and the story lines are very well balanced and well written. there are actually only 3 episodes left of the season, not 3 and then the season finale. i really only like to review episodes towards the end of the season but i thought i\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d give my comments on this. i liked the part with franco and i thought the thing with garrity was funny... and the part with uncle teddy was amusing but maybe not completely necessary. can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t wait to see how things play out.
  • Another episode that keeps me watching.

This episode was great. The scene with Stack was heartbreaking. Tommy staying with him was very cool. I just have to say that Sean Garrity is amazing! His timing is perfect. When they were finishing up with the fire and he kept on saying Bong. That's such a funny word. I was cracking up. And then when Sean thought that the parking meter was taking his picture. Seems as thought the house is falling apart. Lou gets a motorcycle and is talking about Florida, and Garrity is going to marry maggie and that means he only has 3 1/2 month tops right? lol Franco is going for the Lt. exam. I loved when Tommy said to Garrity that he was going to opunch him in the face....hard.
    So many things happened. Sheila is pregnant. Probie talking about his gay moment. And where is Keela?