Rescue Me

Pieces

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 01, 2006 on FX

• Stack's not doing so well, Probie is outed, Jerry's losing Jeannie more and more, Nat's live-in isn't what Franco thinks, Lou's looking toward the southland and Tommy gets even more bad news. And Garrity's an idiot. But then we already knew

Standout performance of the night was Garrity, edging out Mike just by a bit.

Garrity asking for Tommy's dad's blessing to marry Mags. And that whole conversation -- him asking Garrity if he's really sure about this.

Then [i]all[/i] of Garrity's touching of Tommy. Hilarious.

But the biggest thing. Oh. My. G-d. Garrity confronting Mikey about "playing for the other team."

Sean is such a [i]dumbass[/i]!

The writing on that skite was beautiful -- "How come you never told me? I might've joined you!"

Last week it looked like Chris came right out and told them. And prick that he was, if he'd talked to anyone a little quicker on the pickup, he pretty much did.

But to parlay Sean's breathtaking density into an accidental outing ...

That was some funnyass skite.

The crew's reactions reassured me at first -- that they'd on some level or another just been assuming that Mikey was gay.

Then when it became "[i]gay[/i] gay," I was a little taken aback.

Jerry, however, who awhile ago didn't even want to hear about Sean getting blown by a preop, telling everyone to shut up and let Mikey speak ... that guy's grown a lot of class over the years. And also some respect for Mikey, I think.

The guys really turned on him, tho. I mean, none of them have ever given Mikey a little smile. Or a series of smiles. Tho the show is real enough. I mean, everyone was horrified by Sully -- in fact, if you want to picture them mincing up and down on chairs clutching at their skirts screaming "Eek! A [i]f--[/i]!" the image isn't out of place.

Mikey is still Mikey. And Tommy knew it. And his own ... uncomfortableness about Mikey's possibly ripping his clothes off with his eyes every 10 seconds aside, he knew how much he needed to keep the house together.

Because from his perspective, it's all falling apart.

But if Tommy hadn't been there to stand up for Mikey, how do you think that scene would've played out?

Maybe Jerry would've reached out to him. But like his best friend, the little deer in the woods, was going to a scary place. Franco, the "that's a g-ddamn no" calendar poser couldn't deal.

I wonder if Lou would've stood up for him.

Lou is a big ball of bitter sometimes, and we know he absolutely loathes women. But he's probably the smartest guy in the house and he ...

If Tommy wasn't there -- and even tho Tommy is -- Lou might be out of it himself. He might not have the emotion to invest in making sure Mikey feels comfortable staying in the group.

And he was the one who who floated the bet -- "$10 bucks Mikey's hard."

I don't know if a hug from Tommy will keep Mikey in the house -- in the family -- but it was a nice gesture. And really this is something that probably comes up occasionally with guys working together really closely with each other, and this show had the balls to discuss it.

Sully was out. But Sully hadn't grabbed Stack and Sully had been all over everyone in the house while pretending to just be one of the guys. It took him in a dress to get Tommy back to the house, so yay. But Mikey's been a part of their lives for a good long time.

I need to talk about Deb and Sheila. Sheila misses Jimmy -- a lot (and never mind Janet. How Sheila's gonna explain her [i]own[/i] pregnancy is beyond me -- especially when Tommy finds out it's his [not a spoiler; pure speculation -- but it's a natural progression of this storyline].) But she's distanced herself from the loss some and the money seems like it could be important.

Deb is right at the dawn of her loss. And from her perspective, the widows have nothing. Because her husband is half a man, possibly at death's door, and he's her entire world. All they've got is a little bit of money.

Even at $3.1 million.

Which surprised me. And unsettled me. I wondered if that was all Sheila's or it was the entire account and she misread something. But even if it wasn't all hers (and it probably is), her portion would be a nice chunk of change.

In other scenes ...

It was nice of Karleen to absolve Jerry of his guilt over Rose. She did presume and intrude, but she meant well, and honestly it's something Jerry needed to hear. Remember Jeanne the way she was. Remember the way she looked at you with love. She's in a fog of confusion and you're getting her the best care you can. You're standing by her in sickness.

Forsaking all others didn't necessarily include [i]yourself[/i], too.

Some guys really need to be married. I get the sense that Jerry's one of those guys. The fact that he reached out to Rose for some support ... well, Bud may not approve, but I'm not judging.

Nat's brother is a problem. He's unstable and he's insufficiently medicated and it's hard to get a read on him, but damn, taking care of him has to be a day-in, day-out job of work for her. And if he lashes out in some way, well ... he's a pretty big guy.

I was just watching Tommy through this entire episode. Watching him try to hold it together. Just knowing the tiniest bit of what kind of pain and pressure is on him and waiting for the explosion.

It didn't come.

But I don't remember any music, either.

Tommy finds out about Mikey maybe leaving last week ... crying jag. Not necessarily over him, specifically, but over his loss in general.

Lou maybe leaving, Franco studying for that exam, Garrity's future in no way certain ...

Tommy. Alone.

Maybe with Sheila and maybe not (and what a homey scenario [i]that[/i] is -- Mr. and Mrs. Psycho-Slut).

Him losing pieces of his family left and right. And Janet pregnant.

Nice.

That guy is heading for a very deep end.

So dark and depressing. Let's just leave off with the image of Teddy gettin' some. :D

All in all, tho ...

... damn' fine and powerful show.

Good work as always, guys. :)