Rescue Me

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 20, 2007 on FX

• Yeah well, you know, quite frankly, Rich, we could buy your girlfriend a beveled glass doorknob, and it would keep her mollified for at least a month.

Sure, this episode was amusing and enjoyable. Sure, it had an ending that made the wait for next week hard to bear. But somehow I still don’t feel like season four has really started yet. It’s almost as though we’re just being entertained with shiny objects until things really get going.

However, there were still plenty of good things that went on here. First of which, I’m really glad to see how happy Jerry’s been lately. I mean, when was the last time he’s been in this good a mood? Ever? And it’s nice to see him put Needles in his place. The firehouse really does need ya back, Jer.

Eddie’s sheer joy at hearing of Tommy’s supposed deficiency was just great. I guess every dog does have its day. It’s also wonderful to see Teddy back, advising Tommy against drinking, but since he’s going to drink anyway to bring some back for Teddy. Not to mention he gave us some of the best limping I’ve ever seen.

Mikey’s storyline has some potential too. Speaking as someone who watched as her mother teetered on the brink of death in a hospital for two months (with colon problems, no less), I can only imagine how Mikey must be feeling right now. For your own mother to ask you to kill her…there’s no way. All that you can do in that situation is be there for her and pray that she’ll get better. The doctor may be able to lose hope, his own mother may even be able to lose hope, but Mike knows that his mom is the Babe Ruth of moms. He can’t lose hope quite so easily.

The spank bank scene was good. Not great, but good. Tommy’s expressions were just priceless, though. Of course, pretty much any time T and Garrity interact is golden.

All in all, it’s just another day in the life for these guys. And that day is Tuesday.