Restaurant: Impossible

Sunday 10:00 PM on Food Network Premiered Jan 19, 2011 In Season

Restaurant: Impossible Fan Reviews (5)

• What is great about a show what reveals the dirt and drama of America's Eating Establishments?

2.5
    This is a miserable rehash of "Kitchen Yes "Kitchen Nightmares is brutally grotesque, but it's more realistic than this duplicate will ever be. Between the two shows, it comes down to who you prefer, of the two, I prefer Gordon. Gordon may be seen as an "asshole" to some or a "bully" to others, but I see that he manages to pull the owners out of hot water and throw them into a ice bath- shocking them back to reality. He doesn't try to sugar-coat bullshit, and he genuinely gives a damn about the business-there are no ridiculous money limits, time limits-he realizes that the importance of these businesses. Some of these businesses have been in the family for several generations. It's vulgar, it's crude, there are relapses, and even part 2's and 3's. but it serves as a special reminder that running an eatery isn't a piece of cake (no pun intended). What is Robert's version? "Smack talk, emphasis on the outdated furniture, his "team of designers" bragging about how resourceful they are: "I used these 10 cent hangers" gimme a break. What does this got anything to do with preparing food? I don't understand how renovating a restaurant makes me hungry to go there-this is someone's livelihood, and the fact that he acts as though his career depends on this restaurant-versus the owner's, is kinda where the egotism arises. At least in the earlier seasons, they gave an update on the restaurant-now they give a little blurb for the viewers to log onto the Food Network website to check on the restaurant, like a reviewer mentioned. I genuinely feel that they don't a damn about the actual restaurants. They're just moving on from one establishment to another for mere publicity, and it's not something worth watching-it's unappetizing.
  • Good but formulaic

With minor exceptions (like the host, Robert Irvine, throwing up while cleaning a putrid kitchen or having to deal with an owner who asked him to be there, then takes umbrage at his well-founded criticisms), the show is formulaic: Find an old restaurant that with out-dated menus and decor, chefs who don't know what they're doing (or worse, come close to poisoning their customers!), uncaring serving staff, and managers who are totally clueless as to their own business' accounting, and make it a success in only 2 days with a mere $10,000 budget for re-decorating.

Sometimes, however, it doesn't go far enough. For example, one small, family, restaurant owner alleged that he paid a contractor $500,000 for "renovations", which Robert said (and I agree) was grossly overpriced and with underwhelming results. Why didn't he sic lawyers after the contractor?

Another negative is that, during the early seasons, each show ended with a few lines on the screen indicating the results of the restaurant a few weeks later. Naturally, the vast majority seemed to be doing well. However, later seasons changed that to a blurb by the chef telling viewers to go to the Food Network site to see how the restaurants are doing. This should have been anathema to the chef, whose basic philosophy is to not make customers wait! In other words, why in the world would I want to take the time and trouble to do something they could have told me in 10 seconds, possibly while the credits roll? Worse that you have to search for the restaurant or show, which the Food Network does NOT make easy!

Having said all that, it is interesting to see what Robert is up against, and how he handles it all, especially with proud and hostile owners/managers/chefs/staff. It's good human drama, even though it is predictable.
  • One of my favorite food shows

Love Chef Irvin. He cares so much for the people in trouble. Love the before and after.
  • Excellent!

I really love this show. Chef Irvin is positive and energetic! I see a difference between Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant Impossible. Chef Irvin teaches and does not humiliate those that he helps. He may speak roughly to them, but he explains to them what he's doing. When I watch his show - it makes me get up and work on my personal projects! I am inspired to go online and try some of his dishes. I never felt like that with Kitchen Nightmares or F Word. Also, Chef Irvine does charity work!!!! He is awesome!
  • Ramsay clone

I agree with Skaizun. The show suffers from being a clone of Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" and it boils down to (no pun intended) whether you like the guy or not. When I first experienced this fella, it was on "Dinner Impossible" (worth a watch) and I really didn't like his abraisive manner but I warmed to him and seeing as Ramsay is suffering with a serious case of celebrity-itus, Irvine can fill the gap when it comes to this type of show.
FOOD