A Resurrection Community
ABC (ended 2015)

I recently finished watching The Returned (Or rather Les Revenants). By U.S. TV standards, the show was sexually graphic and showed more than I think even HBO or SHO would air. By the end of the season, I was still left with plenty of questions with very few answers. I wanted more!

Thankfully....a second season is supposedly in the works. Considering that the show ended in December '12, I am wondering when the second season will premiere.

Resurrection appears to be the American sibling of The Returned, complete with a doctor, a priest and a police chief/sheriff and a little boy in a red shirt as part of the main characters. Set to premiere in about two weeks, I am hoping for a show that gives me more answers than questions, but still leave a nice mystery that makes you come back for more every week.

With it airing on ABC, I am pretty certain that we won't be seeing the nudity we saw in The Returned, which is good because I think (as least I hope) the show will be forced to focus more time on the story.

Ultimately though, it got me wondering; Can this show hold its own against The Returned or even against the AMC network's juggernaut The Walking Dead? I know that TWD and Resurrection take two completely different approaches to the dead rising, but the comparisons will be made. These same comparisons were made when Revolution first aired too. People seemed to either be Team Revolution or Team Walking Dead.

Resurrection is going to be modeled after a show that was allowed to be more explicit and could drop a few more swear words.

And....it will be airing on Sunday night, TWD's night. Even with it being an hour or so after, that is a pretty tough competition. A competition for an audience who are used to seeing a well crafted story with creative filming and intense action scenes.

I am always looking for a new show to capture my short attention span. I truly hope that Resurrection does lure me every week. I hope it exceeds it's French predecessor.

I am a die hard TWD fan and so far, it has captured my attention.

So...where will Resurrection fit in? Can it capture the same attention as people who have seen The Returned? Does it have a chance to capture any TWD fans?

Let me know what you think.
Comments (55)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
and now you can grow a real ZOMBIE PLANT at home that Plays DEAD over and over when you Touch it Grow a Zombie Plant
Flag
Resurrection's trailer reminded me of Touch on many levels but, more so a bastardized PG rated Cocoon version of The Returned - I kept expecting to see the J-pop girls at 65! The 'mature' leads are great actors but I think I'll be steering clear of this, unless I need to top up my ill/hung over media stock pile. I'm guessing that the only fear this will induce is whether I'll end up shouting at kids to get off my lawn; wear alike clothing or, read the back pages to see who's passed and say, "You're dead, I'm not!".
Why anyone would compare Resurrection or The Returned to the TWD is beyond me. When one considers that the latter is full of insatiable flesh eating instinctual cabbage brained zombies, whereas the former two have fully sentient 'revenants' in which some have 'special' abilities to boot. I think it'd make more sense to ask whether viewers will see this as an adequate companion piece to other shows with the un-dead in, or, if it'd likely end up being bunged in with your general 12+ drama section?

Just finished The Returned and liked most of it a lot. There were some continuity errors which spoiled bits but overall well worth a view. Trying to twin and/or oppose it with the shows above feels somewhat unwarranted. The Returned, thus far, is more about questioning the ideas and moral imperatives of life and death. For all its mystery, TR turned into simple questions of how to achieve goals/revenge and whether it's worth it. And the frequent realisation that humanity, alive or dead, can rely on itself to destroy itself. The revenant's appear to have rather less time to achieve their goal/s before turning to putty and that, and their rapido hunger did have me wondering if it'll turn into them needing human flesh - as Serge appeared the only one not decaying. Lena bearing Camille's decay, at first, was a nice twin connection continuation until Camille's goal, but later repentance, over trying to make Lena suffer over Frederic appeared to set her free.
More+
Flag
To me, the themes were completely different: the french Resurrection was about rebirth and rekindle as you growth again, where The Walking Dead is about dying and the connections forming as you do.

I expect Resurrection to be about rebirth and rekinle rather than connecting and dying.
Flag
Can it capture the same attention as people who have seenThe Returned?

I guess not! Les revenants had brilliant atmosphere, soundtrack, mystery and actors. While Resurrection's plot is similar I just can't see it ever even coming close to French original. As for nudity - I'm not sure if it is necessary, but it's one of the reasons why I love French movies / Tv series, even USA cable channels don't show so open scenes.
Flag
"Can Resurrection Hold Its Own Against The Returned or The Walking Dead?"

Almost everything can hold its own again The Returned, which started out interesting, and then just got more and more bizarre and nonsensical until I couldn't stand it anymore. I think the first episode I really disliked was episode 5. I finally dropped it after episode 7, with only one episode left. At that point I didn't care about answers to questions, because I knew that they couldn't possibly make sense.

I understand the comparison with The Returned, but as far as I can tell, Resurrection is nothing like TWD. It probably has more in common with Modern Family than with TWD.

"...the show was sexually graphic and showed more than I think even HBO or SHO would air."

I remember some boobs, but that's it. HBO shows more than that. So you're making me wonder if there are two versions.
Flag
It sounds more like In The Flesh rather than Walking Dead considering it involves dead people assimilating back to normal-living life. I honestly don't understand why its being compared to TWD because it doesn't look violent or have any rotting flesh at all. I think In The Flesh is a better comparison but even that show had rotting flesh.

Since it has Omar Epps, for the sake of House (RIP), I'll give the pilot a watch.
Flag
Concept wise, thus far it loos like Resurrection will be able to separate itself from much comparison from The Walking Dead, The Returned and In The Flesh, because it seem the dead are not living corpses, but have actually started living again. That's just my opinion, but for me, I doubt I'll be pushed to thinking of similarities between Resurrection and the other series.

I always bemoan the premiere of a new series on Sunday night. I'm already watching The Walking Dead, True Detective and Looking, which is enough to handle on one night. While these will all conclude during Resurrection's run Revenge's return, plus new seasons of Game of Thrones and Califorincation will unfortunately make the series a very low priority on my list, and probably won't be watched until a day or two after.
Flag
I gave up the French series after 4 episodes. I guess having to read sub-titles played a big part. I actually liked the pilot very much.

Exploring the concept of how the family will react to seeing their supposed "dead" ones come back alive is very interesting. However by the 3rd episode, The stories drag too much. It seems to be repetitive. Knowing there are no answers at all at the end of season 1 was also another reason that stopped me from contiuing.

I really hope this American version will be good and have some good answers by end of season 1.

Flag
it is an american remake, those tend to not stand up well against the originals and well, come on now. The Walking Dead will walk all over it. (Yes I used the word walk on purpose.) While ABC is not as bad as NBC at times. Broadcast tv is mostly dying and CBS is the ruler of broadcast.
Flag
I think the concern ABC should have is that it is against not only whatever of The Walking Dead might be playing (there are only six episode left this season) and the maybe two weeks that the Walking Dead overlaps with Game of Thrones.
Flag
You made me think of an idea, it is not something that would ever happen. but what if you put Walking Dead up against Game of Thrones and told people they could only watch one or the other. No DVR or anything like that.
Flag
Could NOT do it. They are both my favorite shows.
Flag
I truly love both series. but I honestly dont think The Walking Dead has much of a leg to stand on and would lose its head against Game of Thrones. (See what I did there?)
Flag
If you just go by viewing numbers, TWD would eat GOT alive. But GOT is the number one pirated show. I don't know what those numbers are past one.
Flag
If it want's to succeed it needs to go more in the direction of the returned. There's no way network TV can compete in the graphic violence department with TWD although they sure gonna try. If not resurrection then with Babylon Fields 2.0 (a 2007 pilot failed to go to series) or a direct remake of Les Revenants.
Flag
I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. And to be totally honest I have always thought that The walking dead was slow and a tad overrated.
Flag
Also, the impression I got from all the previews for Resurrection is that it was more existential drama, then violent zombie drama. More The 4400ish than Walking dead
Flag
I am going to have ao many supernatural type shows at 9 on Sundays( The Walking Dead, Resurrection, Believe)
Flag
"By U.S. TV standards, the show was sexually graphic and showed more than I think even HBO or SHO would air."

Have you seen True Blood or Game of Thrones? Though GOT has more graphic nudity than graphic sex, TB has very graphic sex scenes. I thought Les Revenants, was tame in comparison.

Les Revenants is number four on my watchlist. Right after The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and American Horror Story. It caught me up almost immediately, in the mystery and story. From what i've seen, Resurrection will have enough differences, to make it interesting. I have hopes for it.

And oh, A&E is doing an Americanized version of Les Revenants. They will call it The Returned, English for Les Revenants. It is suppose to be the same story. I think i'll pass on it. And stick with the original.
Flag
Nudity isn't sexual as much as emotional in Game of Thrones (I'm thinking Jaime & Brienne's Harrehal Bath scene), where teen sex is more graphic on The Vampire Diaries than Les Revenant (but that show is way more desperate for ratings than the french one).
Flag
I was going to ask that...
Flag
You do have a point. True blood and Game of Thrones can be pretty sexually graphic. But I don't recall any of them depicting teen sex which The Returned did.
Flag
Camile would be an exception to my point. But no nudity was involved. And they kept flipping back and forth, between Camile on the bus, and Lena at home. Of course, Zoe on American Horror Story: Coven, had a couple of graphic simulated sex scenes. And i believe she was portraying a minor.

Still i was a little taken aback at the scene at the time. I believe the scene was meant to point out a psychic/ mystical connection between Lena and Camile, as much as a sibling rivalry between them.

Europeans are a little more free when it comes to things like that. Though much tighter when it comes to violence vs. American television. I doubt we'll see anything like that on Resurrection (i hope not). It is network tv, even though it's NBC.
Flag
Oops my bad, it's on ABC.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members