A Revenge Community
ABC (ended 2015)

Fellow Revenge-rs, I've gathered you here today to discuss a few very important things regarding our favorite (or least favorite) Hamptonites. It's not exactly a secret that I've felt a little let down by the bumpy road Revenge has traveled this season, but I do think (and hope, and pray) the worst is behind us. In "Control," Emily claimed that she couldn't stand being around Daniel. At the time it felt a little out of place, because although we all assumed as much, there wasn't really any empirical evidence to support such a statement. But Daniel's no longer in the dark, and he's playing full-time for Team Grayson. 

Drunkenly shooting Emily out of anger at having been lied to and betrayed for two years was only the first step in Daniel's transformation from moderate good guy with a trigger-happy index finger to 100 percent full-on asshole. He then flaunted a relationship with Sara in front of Emily's face as she recovered from her wounds and fully embraced what his genes have been trying to make him his entire life: A selfish, always-looking-out-for-number-one Grayson. Now that Sara has seen the light and Emily has a real, true reason to hate him—she might never be able to have children of her own due to the surgery required post-shooting—I think we're looking at much smoother waters for the S.S. Revenge from here on out.

That isn't to say the series is without its flaws, because that's possibly even more ludicrous than the Initiative plot of Season 2, but I do think if there are certain aspects of the series that are clicking and have quite a bit of unrealized potential. If the series focuses on what's working while also fixing a few of its lingering problems, I could see the series returning for Season 4 without the rest of the world scratching their heads and wondering if Niko's been dosing us and everyone at ABC with drugs to give us temporary amnesia. I've laid out a plan of action below, and as long as the writers follow these three easy steps, I think we'll be well on our way toward a better show and a shot at that renewal.

Forget the shipping and embrace the possibility of all out war 

As I mentioned back in January in my review of "Hatred," the last new episode before this horrendously long hiatus, a psychological war between Emily and Daniel has tremendous potential. It's far more exciting to watch a war in which both parties are aware of their participation in said war, rather than a one-sided secret offensive. As Emily continued to fake her feelings for Daniel in the episodes leading up to their doomed wedding, it became obvious that something needed to change. Watching this particular storyline was only slightly more exciting than watching grass grow, and I didn't want to be there anymore than Emily did. 

Emily's relationship with Aiden isn't faring much better these days, and I think the series would be wise to cut all romantic ties, not just with Aiden, but with all future men, too. I've made no attempt to cover up my dislike for Aiden's character over the season, and I'll be the first person in line to help him pack his bags should it eventually come to that, but I think the series has wasted too much time on shipping in general. Sorry, I know that's a big thing for many viewers, but the series suffers when it spends too much time on the romantic storylines and not enough time on the actual revenging. Simply put, too much has happened to Emily lately that she needs to forget boyfriends and focus on her mission. 

The promise of a new war between Daniel and Emily has gained considerable momentum since the shooting. Although many fans wish Daniel would fall right into a dumpster, I think the series is far better off with a Daniel who's embracing his inner Grayson than a Revenge without his character entirely. His time spent with Emily means that whether she admits to it or not, he probably knows her quite well. Sure, he doesn't know that she's actually Amanda Clarke, and he doesn't know her true motives, but he knows her well enough to know how to push her buttons, get under her skin, and undermine her every move. He hasn't exactly given us any reason to believe he's as smart or as cunning as his parents, or smarter than Emily for that matter, but he's probably the series' best bet—outside of Victoria, who I will get to in a moment—to go up against Emily in a psychological battle of wills.

Long live the Ice Queen!

The Emily/Victoria hatred is the bedrock upon which Revenge has built its professionally decorated mansions. Seriously, those two women make Hannibal Lecter seem friendly and warm. Every word that comes out of their mouths is either a thinly veiled threat or outright hatred for the other. More than any other relationship, it has been Emily's ice-off with Victoria that's given the show its necessary spark. But somewhere in the middle of Season 3 it became abundantly clear that Queen Vee was put on a leash. I don't know who made this decision, but if the series wants any hope at sustaining itself long enough to earn a Season 4 renewal from the network, they need to reverse that decision as quickly as possible. We know that Emily eventually has to win this battle against the Graysons—she has to—but just as Emily's relationship with Daniel began to flame out, so too did the fire that once ignited her feud with Victoria.

Emily began to thwart Vee at every turn this season, and while we're essentially rooting for that to happen, there are no stakes if one side wins every time. Given that Emily is now officially a Grayson, and that Victoria knows the truth—or what she thinks is the truth—about who Emily is and what her agenda has been along, one would think that now is the perfect time for each side to regroup for the next round. And that's how it should be. An Emily who's backed into a corner by both a husband she doesn't love and the mother-in-law from hell, can only bring out the best in her. It'll only fuel the fire that's been burning since the moment she learned the truth about what really happened to her family. I know I've been hard on Emily for the cold, heartless, emotionless robot she's become, but maybe it's time to embrace that side of her personality. It's probably her best option to take down the Graysons once and for all.

Get rid of the dead weight

At first I enjoyed the presence of Justin Hartley's Patrick as a possible boyfriend for Nolan, but ohmygod has he not lived up to his potential or what? Hartley's provided a nice visual all season long, but Patrick has proven time and again that he's untrustworthy and he's unstable, but more importantly, he's simply not adding anything to the story at this point. And you know what happens to characters who've overstayed their welcome? They die. They either get shot out at sea and sink to the bottom of the ocean like a Jack Dawson wannabe, or they're injured in a bombing and succumb to their injuries off-screen. It's time for Patrick to fall off a cliff, or at the very least, run away to Italy to practice his angry painting skills. His presence is at least partly responsible for Victoria having thawed out this season, and while I'm happy that she's rekindled her relationship with her first born child, it's made her too soft. Not to mention the fact that their relationship borders on weirdly sexual and it's entirely uncomfortable to watch.

The problem with Revenge has always been that it spreads itself too thin while attempting to tackle too many storylines that are seemingly disconnected. The show has scaled back considerably from the widespread mess of Season 2, but this season, while better, is still not as focused as it should be. Now that Emily has a renewed sense of vengeance, the show needs to capitalize on it and have her face the Graysons head-on. Otherwise, I'm not sure there's much life left in the series.

What do you think, Revenge fans? Do you have any ideas to add?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/10/2015

Season 4 : Episode 23

96 Comments
Comments (96)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Get rid of Margo, Jack, Patrick, Charlotte.... Focus on Emily getting revenge, it doesn't seem that hard.
Flag
Margot can't disappear soon enough (but the actress has a contract for next year damn it!) but Jack is mandatory endgame.
We should have a clear revenge plan that gets into conflicts but doesn't get milked
and the series needs a clear END.
Flag
"Not to mention the fact that their relationship borders on weirdly sexual and it's entirely uncomfortable to watch."

THANK YOU KAITLIN!! I thought I was the only one that noticed that!!! The stares between them are not like mother and son!! And they are always so intimate and close.

The show is being dragged down by characters that add nothing to the show. I like Jack but he serves no purpose whatsoever now. Since Jack is no longer a romantic interest for Emily, who care about him? I think this revelation of Mommy Dearest is a way to make him relevant again. But really is it worth it to make Jack relevant again? Also why do we have Margo and Patrick??? They waste screen time every time they are on. We already have a useless Charlotte and then they added more useless characters. Why oh why?!&

Flag
Honestly, I have come to the conclusion, many others before me have already reached, that the show has jumped the shark. I think your observations have some relevance but really are simplistic and paired down versions of the deep and entrenched problems the show has.

We now have a show run by someone other than who created it. We thought this would fix it as it appears this series was a 'one season' hit wonder. The creator thought a LOT about the first season, and not really how to carry that into a 3-5 season arc. It is quite obvious.

The only season worth really discussing with 'Revenge' is the first season. It was high in the ratings and popular for two reasons: great storytelling and great characters, all tightly told and created. Now it is a mess. A complete soaperatic mess. They don't know how to keep the original very concise premise alive without bringing in extraneous characters, muddying up the relationships that were actually strong and compelling and ridding themselves of stupid soap-opera tropes and gimmics. I guess the network decided at some point 'oh well, this is a nightly soap, not a book by Alexander Dumas, so let's just run with it!!". Bad mistake. It has become a dredge. Characters we really don't care about, relationships based on these newfound characters who appear out of the blue to allow some type of sub-plot to unfold and perhaps, maybe, influence the central characters arc. It is a farce. Who cares about Aiden? Where the hell did he come from? Oh yeah, the Japanese liked the show so much the producers had to create a Japanese character to keep that audience alive so voila! Takeda! And originally a famous, popular actor played him. And we got character after character to try to distract the audience from the bad character development, the lack of a cohesive story and a decent show ultimately.

The strength of the first season was its tightness. There has been nothing tight about the show since. I would gather (from the little I can from interviews with the actors) they recognize this as well. I believe they HAVE to believe in the characters and show as they are being paid highly to do so. But by no means is it believable anymore at all. They seem like they, too, don't like the scripts, hate the plot lines, abhor the idiocy and probably think ultimately it has become trash for them when they thought, maybe, just maybe they had signed onto something more.

They should get back to the core group of the show. The original tension with the Graysons was magnified by the possibility, just the chance, that the character seeking revenge MIGHT just might be in love with the son of the family upon whom she was seeking revenge. This, if you ask me, was the biggest mistake the show made. Bringing yet a THIRD potential love interest into Emily's sphere was just really bizarre. Someone we had no relationship with and were supposed to accept as this 'previous' true love. Hollow. All of it hollow. The most interesting course (and perhaps the course the writer's may still take) would be for Emily to fall in love with the enemy, i.e. Daniel. The conflict already established by this happening was why the first season was so strong. There was conflict. Some actual resistence or conscience, perhaps, to her decision to wreak havoc on a family that had done so much hurt. Further, Daniel's conflict upon finding out the woman he had fallen in love with was such a victim of his families transgressions and acts would have made it all much more powerful. Add to this the OBVIOUS chemistry that the two people playing the parts at that time had and have in real life and guess what? You have a far more interesting plot line than what has been served up in the last two seasons.

They should hone the compete focus of the show on Emily her hatred and eventual forgiving of Victoria and the Graysons and her conflicted self falling in love with the son who shoud have stayed decent and not have become a character who has been tossed about by the writers whenever they deem it necessary to move the plot along in one direction or the other. Daniel Good. Daniel Bad. Daniel Good. Daniel Bad. It's a joke. Daniel Human would be acceptable.

As for Jack, he could still serve the story line. As the id for the innocence of who Emily was and her having to come to terms with not being that person anymore. But trying to make him more than this was yet the other biggest mistake. He should have stayed more in the background and allowed his presence to be Emily's conscience. Inferior writers have just mangled his character up to no end.

Sad. All of it. I had such high hopes for the series and would imagine all of the main actors who have been involved from the get go are now just in it for the money and they have contracts to fulfill. I bet they surely didn't think they would end a nightime soap opera to the degree they have. It's pretty awful and quite a shame. Good acting, potentially great story telling, all down the tube.

Guess that's how it goes in TV land of 2014. Especially on ABC, the network with the highest and quickest cancellations out there. The writers are just saving their skins and the show. Wait, they killed the show but saved themselves I guess.
More+
Flag
Totally disagree. I can't imagine people had a problem with the Initiative storyline compared to the bizarre S3. There is no continuity in the episodes. And they have so many deadweight characters...what purpose does Jack or even Charlotte serve anymore? So now we have Jack dating Margo, then acquiring a rich mommy..all to make him relevant. He is boring and pointless and the writers need to finish him off. Not sure how people can even ship them..they have not nothing except some childhood memories. He doesn't even get her, forget build a life with her. Nolan and Aiden are the ones that can help her....Aiden is the only character in the show, and Nolan to some extent, that truly understands her, and the writers are pushing him away. The show is getting convoluted with extraneous characters just to drag it along. They have to do this to get a S4....so need to watch more nonsensical story lines.
Flag
Don't forget how they just ditch characters who have supposedly been important and then expect us to forget all about them.
Conrad's father played no role in Daniel's coup at Grayson Global despite being chairman of the board?
Fauxmanda's death didn't bring Amanda's mother to the funeral?
Flag
Keep Patrick, just put him back together with Nolan. Pit Emily against Victoria and get rid of the Emily's psycosis.
Flag
Agree, they should put Patrick back together with Nolan! I hope they bring him back in the next season as an ally of Emilys crew! Or at least give Nolan some other MALE lover!:)
Flag
No,no more male lovers for Nolan!!
Flag
I agree, far too much screen time has been spent on shipping. The bedrock is Emily/Victoria hatred and when the show was good it was balanced out by the partnership Emily/Nolan. This partnership has been neglected sadly and Nolan hasn't had a good SL since S1, fix this please writers! I'll help you pack Aiden's and Patrick's bags.
Flag
Get rid of Jack - he is super boring
Flag
I don't agree with you! Shipping is vital to this show.. Viewers love the romance! they keep coming for more
Flag
Get rid of Jack - such a one sentimental character -
Flag
That's why we MUST keep him!!
Flag
It's easy... Get rid of Patrick and Aiden. Aidemily can be cool but it often gets too soapy just her tell that they can't be together because she wants to stay and commit her revengenda and he should go back to Japan.

Get rid of First Grayson.

Get rid of Voulé. She is cool but we all want to see more Nemily revengenda(nolan using his tech skills to install cameras etc) and Emily taking them down using her subtlety and Takeda fighting skills.

Actually Voule's father can be in the conspiracy vs David Clarke so they should definately make revengenda on him.

Make one mini season(12 episodes) to be final. At like 5th episode all discover who Emily's father is and plan to take her down meanwhile she takes them down but something else and interesting happens.
Flag
The problem with Revenge has always been that it spreads itself too thin while attempting to tackle too many storylines that are seemingly disconnected.

this is a an asinine comment!! the problem is that they need to develop them more!!! please their is more storylines in GOT,Parenthood, PLL just a few and these are doing just fine

overall Revenge is awesome their is no perfect show every show as flaws even the great DALLAS!!
Flag
Staff
You can't compare Game of Thrones and Revenge, or Parenthood and Revenge. They're entirely different series with different objectives. Not to mention the quality of writers on their staffs. Revenge simply cannot handle that kind of storytelling.
Flag
so bad its good lol
Flag
I remember reviews where you were rooting for the exact opposite things which would translate to a confusing show to watch. The problem with Revenge is that it was not meant to run for 3 season. It was a filler show with a 12 episodes order. When this thing took off like a sky rocket it all of a sudden became part of the dull 20+ episode programming. It changed the speed of the show and they needed more characters with almost independend story lines. All the top drama shows in the world right now are on cable and air 10 to 16 episodes. Those with 16 episodes (Breaking Bad / Walking Dead) been blown up from originally 13 episodes. Revenge does not need a signficant story change, it should simply be shorter in order for the directors to pace it faster. 1/3 of each episode is so "Telemundo" i literally use it to download new apps to my phone. You already know the dragging conversation on your screen is irelevant when they cut into the scene.
Flag
Staff
Revenge would have greatly benefited from the cable episode model. 13 episodes a season would have been perfect for this show. Alas, network TV wouldn't allow it.
Flag
exactly and thats a big Problem. See sometimes I just dont understand those writers cause most of them are not that good in their Job. How could it be that there are Shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, House of Cards etc. where 70% (at least) of the fans say: wow this Story is awesome and the characters are great and every Story makes sence - ok u might not like every bit but u dont think: whaaat? Why did that happen thats not realistic. And then you have Shows like Revenge where u just wanna throw your head against a wall screaming whyyyyy are u doing that? you know what I mean? is it really that hard?
But you are right - with 12-16 episodes you can make a plan and thats what you are supposed to do as a writer! Revenge is all over the place and cant be rescued. it can turn okish but too much happened - what a shame
Flag
Agreed whole heartedly Kaitlin! I remember watching this show in 2011 thinking (Emily/Jack 5EVA)! But now I don't ship Emily with anyone at all. Let her be single and let's kick it into high gear and let season 4 be the final act of the show. Let her get her revenge and then gtfo.

YES. Bring the Emily vs. Victoria dynamic back to the forefront please! This definitely was the meat of the show considering Victoria is supposed to be her primary target. With Daniel and Emily's ship officially sunk, Emily should have no issue with bringing him down to really hurt Victoria. Then it'd also be interesting to see how Vicky takes advantage of the info that she thinks she knows.

Patrick has been extremely underwhelming since coming on the show. As a love interest, I honestly see no spark between him and Nolan. Tyler and Padma had that down better than he does. And just, idk what's his actual deal? Regardless of whether or not he is a psycho, I don't care anymore. They can get rid of him. If Emily can't get to Victoria through Daniel, then let it happen with Patrick. Bring the full on hatred back out for Victoria! Set the stages for season 4 being the act before the curtain call because honestly the show can't go on that much longer anyway lol love the show, but I really think 4 seasons would be enough.

Awesome article as usual Kaitlin!
More+
Flag
I absolutely don't want the show to reach a season 5 because there'd be nothing left not stretched into uselessness.

Why hasn't our heroine done more to alienate Charlotte from Victoria when she said she was going to?
Flag
... and the first thing they should do is show Emily pondering the photo with the x'd pic with a thought narrative of the future-planned endeavor AND a following visual of Victoria's perspective of her realm depicting EVERYTHING she could/will lose!
Flag
Staff
Thanks!
Flag
Should have been one season with a clear goal. Al the soap opera stuff gets in the way.
Flag
I just wanted to say, I agree with EVERYTHING YOU WROTE. Especially the bit about too much emphasis on the romance - Aiden's pretty, but he's always butt-hurt and untrustworthy, and honestly, a loose cannon. How many times does he go behind Emily's back on missions? I miss the old Vicky, too, and Patrick? I originally thought Patrick was going to be revealed to be some sort of grifter (remember the whole thing with his ex-wife/fiancee/girlfiriend?), and would have been kicked out of Castle Grayson by now! You're totally right - Revenge has lost its fire. I couldn't figure out why I haven't been so involved in the show as I have in the first two seasons. It got boring because everyone got soft.

That said, I am grateful for the addition of Niko, and here's why: At first I thought, "Oh geez, here's the addition of another deadweight character!" *rolls eyes*. But that scene where Niko punched Emily in her wound to remind her of her fire, her pain caused by the Graysons, her goals for revenge, was simply awesome. And although I know they're obviously going to use Niko for yet another love triangle, and to cause strife between Ems and Aiden, that scene was a great reminder for why I tune in every Sunday night. And I hope it's a reminder for our lovely characters and TPTB. :)
More+
Flag
Revenge is pretty much a lock for a Season 4 renewal. I mean, what else does ABC have on the table besides Revenge and OUAT? Resurrection will be going up against The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, so that's pretty much a bust right off the bat. Anyway... I've made my opinions on the show pretty clear with every review, and I'm in the minority of loving every ridiculous situation that comes out of this show. An Emily vs. Daniel war should be pretty fun to watch, but I don't feel like Daniel is really on par with Emily's level of backstabbing, but I guess we'll see. Maybe with her blackouts they'll be more equal. What Daniel and Victoria should do is almost a tag-team deal on Emily if they really want to torment her, that's my opinion and would make for good watching. Now if Emily is working with Conrad, I'd actually be all for that. Emily and Conrad vs. Victoria and Daniel? Yeah, I'll take that. I'm also in the minority of really thinking that Emily needs Aiden, not necessarily as a boyfriend, but as an ally. I know she has Nolan, but Aiden is just different for some reason, he gets her. I don't know. I've seen some sneak peeks for the upcoming episode and it looks like it'll be exciting to watch. I think the new 10pm time will be good for Revenge, it'll be less competition and darker story lines.
More+
Flag
Maybe the 10pm slot will let it get a little more "scandal "ous. Jack needs to go.. That childhood lovestory is dull. Aiden needs to b the one Emily ends up with.
Flag
Hell no!
Loose cannon Aiden must DIE!
Flag
That's what the writers are saying about the 10pm slot, that it will allow them to explore more scandalous/darker stories. So we'll see. And I really don't care if she ends up with anyone, because I don't think it will matter in the end. I'm calling it right now that she dies in the process of getting revenge.
Flag
Staff
I've said all along that I don't think Emily will ever end up happy. I wouldn't even be surprised if she dies in the end.
Flag
Which would leave a lot of people wondering why they watched.
Flag
I love Aiden.. I think he is great. I don't understand why alot of fans r against him. I think he gives an exotic (007) kinda vibe. I don't like niko. It's time for somebody to die. Preferably a Grayson. Jack and Patrick need to go.
Flag
Ditch Margeaux, she's just annoying. Give Charlotte something to do. Let Jack and Emily be together. Bring back the chair.
Flag
Actually, I've found Margeaux to be a really good addition - because she is the only character who genuinely seems to be who she appears. Sure, that may be a bit boring, but having every last character on the show have some hidden agenda and secrets does get a bit ridiculous. I spent most of this season so far wondering what hidden scheme she is really pulling, but I do believe she is genuine, and I think that's great.
Flag
My problem with her is that her being so nice sort of steals from Jack's character and purpose. As it is he doesn't get much to do on the show and when she's there, she shares his thunder. I don't like that.
Flag
I totally disagree with u a/b Aiden.. I think he's great.. He's like Emily's shadow. He looks out for her. And it's good to see Softer side of Emily w aiden. I so hope they end up together. I'm kinda over jack.. I do agree that there are too many mini stories going within the big story. I hope they trimmed down soon.
Flag
Yes we need more of Victoria and Emilys awesome interactions, and we need more Emily and Nolan cause they are just so good friends. But more importantly we need drama, ninjas and Nolan looking spectacular.
Flag
What this show actually needs is a good cancellation. Don't wait till tomorrow, do it today.
Flag
It needs a cancellation in time for the writers to FINISH it before that deadline.
Flag
'Revenge' died when Mike Kelley got fired from the show he created. 'Dallas' is back and so much more fun than this one. They are embracing their soapiness and its campy but fun with a good cast. Linda Gray and Judith Light are looking fabulous and having a lot more fun than Madeline Stowe. This show just lost its way. You want that Emily-Victoria from Season 1 try checking out the queens on "Reign". Emily Victoria is little leagues compared to 'Catherine de Medici' and 'Mary Queen of Scots' as being played by Megan Follows and Adelaide Kane with the help of the stories being told by great writers.

My hope for 'Revenge' more Stephanie Jacobsen! I've liked her ever since she was she was on 'BSG' as Michelle Forbes best Viper pilot in 'Razor'. She was also the best thing about the 'Melrose' remake. I think 'Nico' is going to be the solution to the Aiden story! Just please don't let Corad and Emily have had sex. Even Conrad can't be that disgusting - awesome. (Just kidding, I hope he did because that is Soap 101 and it makes everything that is already pretty gross about all of their relationships more foul.) I see some hope that there may be some life left in this show. Just bring back Victoria Grayson.
More+
Flag
The thing I don't like about Revenge is that they made up the initiative-storyline and then ditched it and pretend it never happened. That seems like an easy way out of a storyline they couldn't come up with a solution to. It kinda proves they lost direction for a while and had to make up something else instead because they didn't know how to finish what they started. Although season 3 got better despite it's minuses (Patrick, Aiden, a weaker Victoria, Lydia's return).
I also never though there was a dull moment in this show. It's always been fun to watch, and Emily offensively trying to hide the truth from Daniel & co was part of the fun for me.

Jack needs to stay! The Jack/Emily(Amanda) lovestory is not yet over as far as I can see. They are the only good thing that could come out of this show once her revenging is done, and the only thing she has left it seems, apart from Nolan, who himself can't find a decent relationship. That's why the shipping is still important the way I see it. Without it there isn't any good ending in sight - simply having completed her revenge seems too empty for it to be a proper closure. No, Jack needs to stay and help Emily the right way and then end up together, slowly. That is what's romantic. Aiden was/is an ass and he needs to go. Patrick too.
Jack needs to be the new guy on the Revenge-team because he too has lost so much thanks to the Graysons and needs revenge almost as much as Emily. It seems like he started to understand that. They have that in common and I seriously doubt Emily is the purpose of all his misery. You can't blame Emily for other people's actions. Even without her in the picture Jack could have become a victim of the Graysons eventually, and Declan surely would have somehow since he and Charlotte were an item so they were going to get involved with the Graysons anyhow. Emily also can't be blamed for Jack having a fling and a baby with Amanda - that was their own stupid choice. He just wouldn't have met her if it wasn't for Emily, that's all.
Emily is vengeful and have done bad things to accomplish it, and Jack is a good guy that ideally deserves better than her, but Emily is also a victim and she needs someone like Jack and Nolan on her side. It's also romantic because of the shared childhood they had and especially since there OBVIOUSLY is still a spark there... I don't understand how people can't see that, or how they can't want that to happen.

We don't need any more evidence to support her claim that she can't stand being around Daniel in order to understand why she feels that way. I think we have seen enough evidence actually. Of course she doesn't enjoy to sleep with him or kiss him or pretend to be in love around him, knowing that he is a killer and a liar and a cheater (even if she doesn't love him herself)... He is the "enemy" now, he became his father. Of course she can't stand him anymore.

Niko is a new character introduction that I don't like and I already want to see her go. I don't care for her tears over her father, it is irrelevant! She should kill Aiden for what he's done to her and then leave to never return.

I look forward to a stronger Victoria and more bitchiness between them, and also to more psychological war between Emily and Daniel. With all this poison, she needs some love to keep her sane = Jack. :D She can't get pregnant thanks to the Graysons, so she can raise Carl with Jack. I don't care how tired everyone else is of the Emily/Jack shipping, but that is what I want to see happen so that the ending can feel a little more satisfying.
More+
Flag
Yes, Jack needs to join Team Revenge. And although I love Margeaux as a character, as a plot device, she causes Jack to turn soft. I mean, with Margeaux around, Jack doesn't focus on the pain of losing Declan and Amanda, right? And despite the fact that I shamelessly ship Jack and Emily - they're childhood sweethearts! - you are absolutely right: there is still that spark between them. Why would Jack get so angry at Emily for all the lying and deception, otherwise? And it's obvious how painfully Emily hides her feelings for Jack.

About Niko, I really enjoyed the scene with her punching Emily to remind her of her mission. But I agree with the Niko/Aiden thing. I don't dislike Niko, but I don't want to see her become a recurring character. You're right: she should get revenge against Aiden, and leave.
Flag
And I would rather see Charlotte get a bigger part, maybe learn Emily's secret and be on her side by helping her "from the inside" so to speak. I don't want her to disappear, but she needs to be less stupid and irrelevant.

Margaux needs to go! She is a boring character so far.

They need to start crossing out more people on the revenge-list, but sadly this is probably another storyline that's left behind since the initiative part got ignored. Without a conspiracy there isn't a lot of people for her to go after anymore except the Graysons.
Flag
Staff
I keep hoping that Margaux will join Emily's fight against the Graysons, but I'm not sure it will happen. I can't imagine why they'd bring her in and up her to a series regular (she will be if the show is renewed) unless she's meant to play a larger part in all of this. Considering how fast she was able to turn on Daniel, I think I have a new respect for her.
Flag
And that she was so quick to turn on Daniel (right choice and I loved that part too, but still...)although he was an old flame of hers and she tried to seduce him a little earlier, think how quickly she could turn on Jack, or anyone else if she "needs to". I am thinking she is not going to stay nice for very long and she will turn rotten too, which means she won't be such a good girl which Jack deserves for long. So another reason why he might as well go for Emily in the end. Frankly, I'll be surprised if Margaux stays nice the whole series, because nice doesn't get you much in Revenge it seems.
Flag
Unfortunately the Revenge philosophy seems to divide all people into bad guys and future bad guys.
Flag
Emily needs to actually achieve something. Three summers in the Hamptons, and all the Graysons are still rich and healthy. If anything Emily has just made their lives more stressful. I was very disappointed the buildup to the midseason finale was basically for nothing, as the Graysons went unpunished again. Its nothing against the actors that play them, but Emily needs to achieve something very soon, and I wouldn't mind Conrad or Daniel getting the boot. This show needs to end in S4 unless its going to go nowhere. S3 still better than S2 so far.
Flag
Lose dead weight, agreed, somebody pleasee get rid of Jack, this Emily/Jack thing is so old, i think love can emerge from the Emily/Daniel Situation, sorry for Jack's fans but is just so boring.
Flag
I think the writers have just been trying to include Jack in the storyline somehow this whole season, when hes really not needed. I'd rather see him and Margeaux go on a vacation or something for half a season, so Emily can focus on her revenge, then have them come back after Emily actually takes down one of the Graysons. Right now Jack is just distracting and useless.
Flag
1. It needs more revenge. It was much better when Emily was getting even with people. After season one...it has been more of a temper tantrum than revenge.
2. Emily and Nolan against the Graysons. No more distractions with boy/girl flings. When these 2 get rolling...the TV gets good.
3. More physical kick butt from Emily. When she is using her Ninja skills that is worth watching. Get her back in training and getting physical.
4. Since you can't really knock off a Grayson...you need to get back to the revenge against co-conspirators. Bring them on and let Emily/Nolan knock them down. Use that as a lever to make the Graysons more paranoid as each one falls.

Flag
It needs to get on toward its endgame already.
That does involve knocking off Graysons.
Flag
I actually think the death of at least one Grayson might be a good thing. It will make the others close rank until Emily knocks them all down. I vote for Conrad because his manipulation of Victoria is disgusting. Although I have no love for her either, as a woman, I'd like to see Conrad dead.
Flag
The biggest problem with the Emily/Victoria fued now is that Victoria can never really, truly win. It was fun in season one because Emily had an ocean's worth of secrets that could come out at any moment but since then, they've all slowly come out. Now the only card Emily has in her deck is that she's Amanda Clarke and Victoria can't find that out just yet because that's a final season reveal. I feel like Revenge should get renewed for a season four and then let that be its last.
Flag
I actually think Niko could be adding some freshness, even be the one to remove dead weights (I wish she killed Aiden!)
Flag
I hate Niko. The writers have added another strand to the revenge bow and it's just muddying the waters. I don't give a rats arse about Niko's revenge on Aiden, she lied to him and Emily, she needs to never come back. R.I.P to her dad and all that but go away Niko.
Flag
I understand your point but still, I'd rather they introduced Takeda's daughter than any Margaux, Jack, Declan, Charlotte, Emily's mother and all the other weights that added really nothing to the story! At least we know that Niko's from revenge school, so she might be really dangerous!
Flag
Mmm. If Niko was team Ems and didn't have the hots for Aiden that would have been OK. Anyone who can get Emily on her revengda would have added to the plot.
Plus not fond of the actress since Battlestar Galactica Razor.
Flag
Well Niko is the consequence of Emily letting Aiden in on the revengenda and I like that she's just another aspect of everything falling apart or getting out of Emily's control.
About the actress, I love her from Razor and Melrose Place, so not much to do about it :D
Flag
Staff
Maybe Niko and Aiden will kill each other? I could probably get behind that.
Flag
lol. Hating on my Aiden. But being as he's such a loose canon maybe it's time I got over my Aiden/Emily ship and embrace this idea.
Flag
I think you're absolutely right about those 3 things.
Buuuuuuuuut... If it's dead weight we're talking about and, please, I'll be the first in line to kill them, it's not just Patrick that needs to go. Charlotte, Margo, even Jack. THEY'RE ALL DEAD WEIGHT!
Basically, the only characters that still matter are Emily, Nolan, Victoria, Conrad and (as much as I hate to say it) Daniel.
The rest can go jump off a cliff and stay dead.
Flag
Staff
Considering Charlotte is her half-sister, she'll probably never be killed off,, though I do agree that show hasn't been able to find a use for her in a very, very long time. It's my hope that Margaux will join team Revenge and become useful because I really liked the way she didn't think twice about betraying Daniel. As for Jack, he hasn't really been all that helpful, but I don't see them doing away with him either, unfortunately.
Flag
Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking on my behaf. I wouldn't mind watching them all live IF they had an interesting storyline that would entwine with the main plot somehow interestingly. I yawn everytime I see one of them, that's my issue.
Flag
I wish that Victoria eventually will team up with Emily to take down Conrad and the company. I think that would be a fitting end to the series, if we're hoping for a happy ending. I at least think that someone else needs to find out the truth about Emily before this season ends (if we get another)
Flag
This is the first season I've thoroughly liked. Season 1 started off good but got a little boring in the middle until the season finale pulled me back in The same goes for season two. It started off good and I got bored and was planning on giving up on the series until the season finale drew me back in. But, Season three has kept me intrigued throughout the season so the new show runner must be doing something right.
Flag
I've really been enjoying Revenge this season, more so than the first season, purely because it's embraced it's rightful serialised plot over it's episodic and formulaic Revenge 'take down' of the week nature that the series employed earlier in it's run.

I generally have no interest in shipping, not on Revenge, or any other show for that matter, so when people state that the writers devote too much time focusing on various couples (or not focusing on them) I usually scratch my head in confusion because I myself don't look for that in a series, so I guess I'm less inclined to notice it. I could care less about who Emily ends up with (I'm guessing Jack, though) so if there's an opportunity to make Daniel, Aiden, or even Jack into a more interesting character by exploring their darker sides, and pitting them against Emily in the process, I'm all for it.

I agree to a certain extent about Victoria. Her relationship with Emily has continuously provided the series with a much needed spark, yes, but for me its also been one of the most laughable and drawn parts. How long can two women exchange 'thinly veiled threat(s) or outright hatred for the other' without any actual consequences? I'm sick of all the tip-toeing between them, I want to see some real, uncensored arguments between them, and them actually following through on their threats. There's just been very little action behind their words throughout the series in my opinion, and that needs to change. And a little off-topic, but while we're talking about Victoria, why are the writers insistent on force-feeding us storylines that paint her in a sympathetic light to viewers? I don't want to like Victoria. I want to hate her so much that I love her, you know?

I'm going to be a hypocrite here, because even though I just said I hate shipping, I absolutely love Nolan and Patrick as a couple. I know their relationship is pretty much dead at this stage (they've broken up and kissed and made up so many times in same repetitive way over a very short-time frame), but Daniel's been an entertaining character to have around in my opinion. Jack, Margo, Aiden, Charlotte could all qualify as dead weight characters to a varying degree, but ultimately they all have the potential to be characters that are vital to the story the series tells, so perhaps the writers could work on including them more in the serialised storylines or developing their characters in general?
More+
Flag
I couldn't agree more. Season 1 was an amazing piece of television and because of that I've suffered through the past two seasons out of loyalty. But if they don't fix the series in season 4 I will have to say adieu.
Flag

I LOVED Revenge - when it started I coudnt get enough of it - every monday night I had to watch it ( no time for going out or anything haha) I was addicted in a good way (like with Breaking Bad) - the story was good, the characters where well writen. Vicky was bad, yes BUT she had a good side - I sometimes felt sorry for her, Daniel was awesome - I liked him and I hoped he would turn his back and be happy with Emily, Nolan was fun and Jack was okish (better than now). Emily fell in love with Daniel and for a long time I thougt : Maybe she will realize that Revenge sucks, and that her Daddy wouldnt support this anyway and she will run away and her live will be awesome. I even started to like Amanda and then she got pregnant and Jack was so happy all good

AND THEN THE RUINED EVERYTHING

I tell you in season 1 when Daniel decided to stick with his family i was truly pissed off and not because he did it, no because of the writers. The ONLY reason why they did that was because they needed Daniel to be mean otherwise how would the story go on? (well a good show writer would find a different way) And of course Emily could have talked to Daniel - he could have said: honey look I know they are horrible but they are still my family. If your dad or mom would have done something bad u would have helped them or? etc. etc. BUT of course they writers didnt do that and Emily and Daniel didnt talk to each other at all about it and in my opinion since that episode it went downhill, thats why:

X Daniel changed 180° about 7 times in the last 2 season and now he is the mean badass? I know Josh wanted it and yes I know its way better than what we had before BUT I CANT EXCEPT IT I WANT MY OLD CUTE DANNY BACK (wont happen haha)

X Emily got just so annoying and mean that I actually want her to lose this whole ,,war" (look I get people fight about how horrible the Graysons are and she only does what she needs to do but for me she is a crazy bitch by now and I couldnt care less about her - sorry) and I would love if she would find out her daddy did something horrible aswell cause I would laugh. They missed making Emily a character u care for cause there were moments where she was just ...horrible and looked like she doesnt care about anything or anyone (oh sorry of course except Jacky Boy) AND the most STUPID Thing was Emily last plan to Frame Vicky - how the hell does that clean her dads Name??? And what about Conrad??? Why doesnt she just go to the Police?? She has so much evidence and now she really doesnt need to be scared of the Graysons anymore (cause remember in season 1 everyone that wanted to go to the Police got killed or stuff) but the wouldnt be able to do anything against Emily cause they dont know who she is

X Jack, Daniel, Aiden..... Look we all know that the writers wanna end with Emily&Jack - we knew that from the beginning and thats so lame. First of all they should be together cause they were friends as kids, then didnt see each other for like 20 years but hey thats a reason to be together? + every other relationship they had was doomed anyway and thats boooring. How should i care about Aiden or Margaux if I know that its not the endgame cause everytime Emily and Jack meet they look at each other like two lost puppies who wanna have sex and Amanda was the only one who had a Chance but they killed her. And like with Aiden: She had everything with him, she could be honest but the writers had to make him a jealous crazy man and then suddenly from one day to the other Emily didnt love him anymore - wow

X Declan, Patrick, Charlotte: I know a lot of people are bored of those characters but I have to say I always liked them cause they were nice people and you need a few normal ones aswell but they had to kill Declan, make Charlotte a bitch who is nice/mean/nice/mean and Patrick - i dont even know where they are going there

X Vicky and Conrad: its the same here... So once you feel sorry for Vicky, then she is mad again, then she turns again - like I get that every character has different sides but her and Conrad have like 25 and I cant follow those split personalities anymore ;)

What Im saying is, okay now the chances of making it a bit better now are there BUT thats not why I started to watch this show.

It had the potential to be a good show with good characters and not a cheesy ,,The bold and the beautiful" but thats what it is now

So for me no more Revenge

(haha that turned out a bit long sorry - but Im so dissapointed ;) )

More+
Flag
yeah, ditto. its almost like i wrote it myself.
Flag
oh except for the fact that I'll keep watching it in hopes it gets better.
But from the pilot we know that Emily is suppose to lose everything in her search for revenge unless she gives it up. (the quote about if seeking revenge bury two graves one for your enemy and another for yourself.) So i am glad that at least that seems to persist.
I really do hate the Danny turn about. and I don't understand how the defining moment for him was supporting his dad in the interview after finding out those facts about Clarke . I would have done the same. You support your family first. And you sure as hell don't take them down in public without first trying a different approach that isn't an instant execution. So I think Emily gave up too quickly on Daniel too. She could have won the war and the love if it wasn't so black and white with her. I like how Nolan is dissenting from her because it really is her way or no way. And he is clearly tired of it and soon she will lose him too. She is all that she has left since they killed off Amanda (a real real horrible move in terms of plot. She brought so much to the show. Her zealous loyalty to be Emily's hitman while at the same time being so zealous that she kept screwing things up for Emily. She was an awesome character and ever since her death there has been a void. ) and Aiden in no way can fill her shoes.
As for the initiative. Like in Sunnydale, it is a poor plot choice. However they could have used it and made it work. We could have had a Team Emily /Team Grayson team up to take them down. That could have been fun. But no they just cut off the plot off screen in the summer which to me makes absolutely no sense that they were taken down so swiftly when they are suppose to be this super powerful entity that was able to make puppets out of so many people.

It seems that a lot of the depth has been taken out to be replaced only with pettiness.

Man I can think of so many different ways the plot could have progressed better.
More +
Flag
Get rid of Jack, Aiden, Patrick, Sara, Margot, and Charlotte.
Bring back the red Sharpie fer Chrissakes!
More Nolan and his awesome technology.
More Emily vs. Vicky
Flag
I ship Aiden and Emily but the writers keep jerking around with the relationship so yeah, maybe it's time Ems flew solo. I can't see the point in giving Nolan a love interest just to break his heart again, they did that to him with Padma, not cool. I think Nolon should also fly solo for a bit.

What I'd like to see now is a final season where Daddy Grayson dies, Victoria and Daniel Grayson are somehow left holding the bag and facing long prison sentences and bankruptcy. Or something but kill at least one of those slimey people.

Emily in season one was so much better at the whole revenge thing. The writers have lost the plot.
Flag
Isn't Justin Hartley set as a lead in a new show for next season? So your 3rd wish will be granted :)
Flag
Staff
Right now it's just a pilot, so we'll see. Barry Sloane is also doing a pilot, so both Patrick and Aiden could potentially be done away with this season, but we'll have to wait and see!
Flag
I totally LOVED Season 1. Couldn't get enough. Then, somewhere in Season 2, it became a soap opera and I totally lost interest and stopped watching. Sounds like it was the right call.

I miss the days when every episode or two, Emily crossed of the face of someone involved in framing her father.

The problem with a show like this is that if it's well watched, the network wants to keep it going as long as possible. But, the longer a show like this goes, the harder it is to keep interest in the concept of getting revenge. If we're to believe Emily is as good as she seemed to be in Season 1, then she should have won by now. But, if she wins, the show's over. So, they drag it on and make her look incompetent, thus we lose interest.

Catch 22.
Flag
Exactly.
They need to commit to an end date and finish things.
Flag
I would have been happy with a single season if Emily managed to cross every one off her list. Stretching it into so many seasons is beyond ridiculous, I'm not sure why I'm still watching to be honest.
Flag
but Patrick is cute!
:P
Flag
You're right in saying it needs fixing. I agree, that's why I clicked on the link to the article. The show is all over the place and it's a shame because Nick and Gabriel are great actors. I am also not over Declan's death, that's when I stopped watching. It's a little too cheesy with the "Revenge" training she received. She's horrible at revenge b/c she's still working on it all these years since she got out of Juvenile detention. Nikita was never cheesy. Just over-looked. This show is the opposite: over-exposed. Does not live up to it's press coverage.
Flag
You're still not over Declan's death? You poor thing... that was one of the best things Revenge ever did.
Flag
I don't have any ideas how to improve the show IMO it's doomed, however I really wish David Clarke's still alive & for some reason disappeared(amnesia or else) & reappears in final episodes to either help Amanda get Revenge or shows her she already harmed too many to get this Revenge, yeah who'm I kidding, this never gonna happen.....
Flag
If the show is renewed for season 4 they should make it the final season. Then they can plan the whole season and the end of the show without more pointless stretching.
Flag
I haven't seen the show since the end of Season 2, but from the sounds of it, it isn't hardly better at all, and the storyline definitely still sounds like it is going nowhere.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members