A Revenge Community
ABC (ended 2015)

Revenge S03E08: "Secrecy"

Revenge is taking a three-week break before Emily and Daniel's wedding, and I think it's for the best, because "Secrecy" felt too much like a struggling writers' room blindly throwing ideas up in the area and just hoping some of them stuck. Emily is now pretending to be pregnant in order to manipulate Daniel into staying in a relationship he no longer wants to be in, Lydia Davis is unsurprisingly not dead, and Victoria tried to ruin Emily at her bridal shower by inviting her first husband. Oh, and there was a subplot with Aiden and Charlotte and some nude photographs that I completely spaced during. Guys, I'm not kidding, that is a storyline that actually happened. 

It's like the writers bought a Soap Opera for Dummies book and all of the originality of the series has been sucked away and replaced with boring cliches. At this point, I'd trade any of those plots for Conrad's faked Huntington's Disease story because despite being mostly unbelievable, at least it didn't reek of desperation.

If it sounds like I'm being harsh, it's because I'm being harsh, but that's only because Revenge used to be a series that surprised me with its twists and turns and now it's a series of bad ideas strung together by familiar faces just going through the motions. I applaud the writers for making Emily have to work for her plan to succeed, because for so long everything came so easily to her and it was wholly unbelievable. And I even like the idea that Daniel no longer wants to marry Emily (finally!). But the way that story has been executed has fallen short of my expectations. 

For so long Daniel was the one fighting for Emily, fighting for their relationship, and a few episodes ago I wondered why he even bothered, why he cared when Emily so obviously didn't. I was practically begging him to wake up and smell the roses. I know that I'm in the minority here when it comes to liking Daniel's character, but the way his storyline has been written this season has been a let down. Yes, he's striking out on his own and attempting to be less Grayson, more Daniel, but as soon as his ex-girlfriend reappeared in his life, the strides he'd made to separate himself from his family's legacy by partnering with Margaux for Voulez have almost been erased.

Here he was this week, in the Grayson Family Sex Den in the City, hooking up with Sarah, because their love was apparently so epic it moved mountains and angels sang about it. Wait, no, sorry. Daniel drunkenly crashed his car and sent her to the hospital where she almost died and then his family screwed her out of a lot of money so she's going to be in debt for the rest of her life paying off monstrous medical bills. But yeah, I'm sure she totally still loves him and has forgiven him for all of that in the span of a few weeks. Revenge has never been all that believable in its complicated and convoluted schemes (or in how long they think dogs actually live), but this is a little too far fetched.

I'm willing to accept, and even believe, that Daniel still feels all those feels, or thinks he does because their relationship is unfinished to him, but for Sarah to just throw aside all of her anger (remember her introduction two episodes ago? Yes, it was only two episodes ago), feels a bit ridiculous. I'm still mad at people who didn't call me back three months ago. I've hated people for far less than what Daniel and the Graysons did to Sarah, so I'm sorry, but I'm never going to believe that she just threw her anger in the nearest trash can and skipped off into the night with Daniel. 

The entire foundation of Revenge is about not letting grudges go, whether we're talking Emily's revenge plan, or Victoria and Charlotte hating Emily for something she did and attempting to make her life miserable. I'm not saying that's healthy, because obviously those three women are all in need of some therapy, but this series was built on basically never letting shit go. If I thought this was the series purposefully attempting to show us another side to the human psyche in which people aren't manipulative and don't hold grudges for years upon years, I'd be the first person to stand up and congratulate it. But it's not, it's just a plot device meant to make Emily flail a bit, so I'm calling shenanigans on Sarah, who has every right to hate Daniel and his family forever, for jumping back into bed with Daniel after two weeks. 

Wow, that got a little ranty. But I can only take so many rushed storylines before I snap. Emily might be robotic and single-minded, but I will give her props for remaining unswayed in her convictions. She's been working this con for years and she hasn't let up. It would have been more believable if Sarah had teamed up with Emily than it is that Sarah would be so quick to dismiss everything that happened. 

What's more upsetting about this particular storyline is that I don't dislike Sarah as a character. In fact, she seems perfectly nice and is the most down to earth character of anyone on Revenge, but it's frustrating that the writers want us to care about her when all we've seen is a 15 second glimpse at what Daniel and Sarah were like before the accident, and a few weeks of her wildly fluctuating between different ends of the emotional spectrum. We still don't know anything about her or about her relationship with Daniel, and we still don't have a reason to care about it either. This storyline could have worked if only the writers had taken the time to make us care, or if she'd been introduced in the beginning of Season 3 and had several months of build up, but instead, we're supposed to believe that their romance was rekindled in the span of a few weeks. 

When you add in the fact that Emily is now stooping to fake baby-levels of desperation to ensure that Daniel doesn't leave her, this entire series is beginning to feel a lot like Glee. And that's never a good thing. Faked pregnancies and storylines with absolutely zero build up are never a good thing. Faking a pregnancy will never turn out well, because there are only two ways for that story to end: Either Emily fakes nine months of pregnancy during which Daniel never touches her and then she finds a baby on the street to call their child, or she has to fake a miscarriage. The only thing that can save this storyline is if we find out Emily really is pregnant. As cliched as that storyline might be, it would be a hell of a lot more interesting to see Emily pregnant with a child she doesn't want with a man she doesn't love, than whatever mess is sure to be born from faking a pregnancy.

And after all that, I don't even have the energy to deal with the fact Lydia Davis is back from the dead and willing to spill all of the Grayson family secrets to Margaux. Especially when Conrad name dropped her in an earlier scene, basically ruining any surprise that scene could have held. Though, to be fair, that was also shown in promos for the episode last week, so that reveal not packing the punch it should have was not entirely the writers fault. I was never a fan of Lydia, but I felt that her death in the plane crash was a good move for the series, but I could be open to where her storyline with Margaux takes us.

In case you couldn't tell, this episode, and most of Season 3, has been frustrating for me to watch. I don't hate Revenge, but I am very disappointed in the direction it has taken. I like that Emily is flailing and grasping at straws because her plan is falling apart; it adds a bit of drama we've never seen before, and it means she's human and doesn't have superhero revenge powers in which everything goes pretty much to plan because she's Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke. But the emotional stakes that are supposedly thwarting her relationship with Daniel aren't there to make me care about the outcome either way. Give me some backstory, let me get to know Sarah and maybe I'll care about her relationship with Daniel. But right now, the series is lobbing unoriginal idea after unoriginal idea at us and expecting us to gasp in awe and shock. But I can't. And I won't. 

NOTES

— Did you see how quickly Emily was able to recover from Victoria's ambush with her first husband at the bridal shower? Daniel was right about one thing: Emily is exactly like his mother, and I'm so happy he's finally wised up to that.

— Nolan and Aiden are now roomies, and Nolan's Post-It notes were a nice touch.

— Charlotte: groan

— Conrad's memoirs: groan

— The butler at the Grayson Family Sex Den in the City: A+

— As if you couldn't have guessed, Nolan's best look this week was his lavender bridal shower ensemble:

thekaitling:list:revenge-what-did-you-think-of-secrecy/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/10/2015

Season 4 : Episode 23

144 Comments
Comments (157)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love it
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I mean now Daniel (finally) doesnt love Emily anymore.. but it will still be a massive shock for him. He still spent years with her
Flag
do you actually watch the show?? emily is going to fake her death in 2 weeks. there will be no fake pregnancy storyline.

also, emily set victoria up for the first husband reveal. remember?
Flag
Emily doesn't need to be pregnant for more than 2 weeks, because after the wedding she is going to escape with Aiden. Then, I think in this ocasion is the best decision to hook up Daniel to filful her plan.
Flag
Did you guys hear that Josh Bowman( danny) might leave the show!!! He said, "He should be despicable, disgusting and emotionless — worse than Conrad, Everything that he never wanted to be times 10", or they have to kill him!!!!! I am very sad!! I don't know if I can watch the show without danny!!!!
Flag
He's right. They don't use all his potential as an actor since the beginning of this season 3. The show is about Aiden and Emily love and Victoria. All the other characters story line are weak. They are stupid, unconsistant.
Flag
I don't know about the rest of you but I think this review was to harsh. I absolutely love Revenge and still do. I do think the plot has been kind of repetitive, but being a show meant for plot twists and drama I am ok with it. I really thought this was one of the better episodes of the season so far and do see a way for it all to work out and her take down the Grayson's. I don't support Sarah at all and believe she is just a gold digger. I am still a little sympathetic for Daniel and was actually a little upset when he really did go for Sarah while he was still with Emily, because I believe he could be a good guy if he really tried. I have been an Emily supporter all the way and I really want her to realize that revenge isn't everything. I really do not know who I want her to be with at this point but it is definitely not with Adien, I just get a bad feeling about him and dint want her to be with him. I am not a fan of Jack and don't really care what is going on in his life right now. Emily made the scene at the bridal shower happen by feeding information to Bizzy, so no wonder why she was so fast to come back from that. I get the whole predictable pregnancy thing but I didn't mind it. Daniel wouldn't leave Emily with her pregnant or at least if he was douchey enough to do so, Sarah wouldn't let him. She is planning fake a death in a couple of weeks so it doesn't really matter if she is pregnant or not, it will only make Victoria look more guiltily. I really don't get Charlotte's point in the whole show right now all she does is criticize Emily and thats about it. Overall I am pretty satisfied with the show and yes, it is supposed to be cheesy and soapy! It is a TV show its not supposed to be right on point with everyday life!
More+
Flag
I can't wait for them to reveal that Nolan and Emily are brother and sister !!!!!
Flag
Normally I hate fake pregnancies, but considering she plans to fake her death in a fortnight (no fake miscarriage or trying to adopt a baby required) this didn't bother me.
Flag
I don't get the point of Emily. Why she can't just shoot the Graysons or burn down their house after she took the money is beyond me.
Flag
Oh hell too much negativity in this review. This is Revenge, afterall!! We have been to much more unbelievable places! I enjoyed this episode, it was like licking icing from a cake that you're not supposed to. Such a guilty pleasure.
Flag
As I have stated many times before, if you stop thinking about what is going on on Revenge, it's a really good show.
Just don't think about it at all after the episode ends.
Do that and every episode is fun and enjoyable.

Lydia survived a plane crash? Don't care how that happened omg she is back!
Conrad has a secret love nest, yet sleeps with Lydia at the Southfork Inn? Don't care why he would do that, but hey that butler looks like Albert!
No one seems to care that Declan died? Well, you know, life goes on.

And so on, and so on.
Flag
You are right Revenge is not for the brain. It's a fantasy world. That's the way it is!
Flag
Just plain fun and rest for the brain.
Flag
Flag
"No one seems to care that Declan died? Well, you know, life goes on." - LOOL, thats EXACTLY what I've been thinking though!
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I don't care that Declan died. But at least his brother or girlfriend should, you know. Instead, we have Charlotte banging someone in Paris and Jack mourning Fauxmanda (that's what we're shown at least) more than his brother.
Flag
And don't forget Amanda's mother and Conrad's father,written in as major characters and then completely absent for things that they would have wanted to be involved with.
Flag
Exactly! People just come and go without any sense whatsoever. Hell, the entire show is mostly nonsensical so I don't see why people are trying to be to smart about it.
Flag
I agree that it is kind of hard to believe Sarah falling for Daniel so fast. I get that they both still have feelings but from utter disappointment, regret and anger she's falling into his bed in a couple of weeks even though he's getting married to another woman. This kind of longing and aching is hard to get when there has been zero connection between those two characters during the last few years. The storyline would be fine if they had worked it a bit more and for a longer time.

Otherwise I disagree with a couple of notions. Emily didn't need recovering from the first husband as she was the one who orchestrated the whole thing. I'm quite sure she was well aware what was going on the whole time. Secondly the fake pregnancy only has to last for another few weeks, Yes, it's desperate, but there really isn't that much risk if Emily has already planned to move on right after the wedding.

Nolan is the best and most sympathetic character hands down, but I still like Emily too. No, she's not a nice girl, but I like her anyway.
Flag

Alike or not------EP8

Daniel said in EP8: Emily and my mother are the same person.

Emily said: Daniel and I are nothing like you and Conrad.

Victoria said: we’re more alike than you think.

The show always tries to tell us how Emily and Victoria are similar, or Emily is a young Victoria, but actually, they are nothing alike, they are totally different person.

Apparently, Emily seems to share common features with Victoria, they are smart, elegant, ambitious and sometime cruel. But in nature, they are totally different person.

Emily is more evil than Victoria, and also has more guts than Victoria. Although writers in this show try to described Victoria as an equal rival to Emily, Victoria’s character is not as amazing as writers expect, this character’s storyline is not compelling or juicy enough to attract audiences, many times Victoria seems to be described as a cold, pathetic coward.

In season 3 EP8, Victoria said Emily cares about nothing but money and status, which is exactly applied for herself.

Victoria is kind of person that she has described to Emily------cares about nothing but money and status, she married Conrad just for money and status, just for the Grayson’s name and its fortune, after chasing her desire to be famous and rich, she found out she would never ever love Conrad, then she cheated on her husband, when we thought she was fallen in love with David, she betrayed the man she called true love just because she feared to lose her fortune and status.

Emily would never do that, Emily would never marry someone she doesn’t love, she would never marry someone just for his fortune. Victoria didn’t divorce Conrad because she does not want to lose her fortune and status even she hates Conrad.

If Emily is same situation of Victoria, she would divorce thousands of times, Emily has a backbone to divorce, she cannot stay with someone she does not love just for money and interests, whereas victoria didn’t have guts to divorce and also couldn’t accord to divorce even she have to skated around with Conrad on ice and razor blades, what a pity coward in her marriage.

Emily would never betray the one she loves. Victoria betrayed the men she called true love in term of self-preservation, and ultimately she set David up and got the man killed for her self-preservation in which she feared to lose her fortune and status.

Is there any possibility that Emily could do the same thing to Jack as Victoria did to David? Never. Emily could never turn back on Jack, even Jack couldn’t see Emily’s heart, couldn’t understand her feelings, even Jack married another woman, even Jack couldn’t love her any more, Emily always puts Jack in the first place and cares about him deeply without a word.

Emily gets lost in her revenge and Victoria never gets lost in pursing her self-preservation.

Therefore, Emily and Victoria are totally different person in nature, the latter always did something out of self-preservation in which all she cares about are her fortune, status and herself.

More+
Flag
Its true, they both have different motives, Victoria does anything for status and power, and Ems has no boundaries for revenge. In the end they are both crazy psychopath bitches who love to scheme, which is why i love them. All the other characters in this show are big sissies. Except for Nolan, who i will marry.
Flag
But so far this has been my favorite ep of season 3. I love Ems fake preggers, because she is fkn crazy. I wish jack dissapeared, he is judgemental and an idiot. Danny boy deserves whats coming, and Aidan will eventually die. I think Emily will end up alone, because, cmon, she cant love anyone, shes insane. But i do like her.

Flag
Btw, who is running Grayson Global? Did they just forgot they owned a family bussiness? Couldnt they just embezzle money to gain back their wealth?

Flag
The whole business aspect of the show has just about zero realism.
Who owns shares in Grayson Global seems to change from script to script.
Conrad's father is chairman of the board but disappeared when there was the fight over who was to be CEO.
Flag
Im not gonna complain about Revenge, because i still like it, but i think it was a mistake to just change the direction the show had. I loved season 2, for all the crazy conspiracy, the dissaster capitalists, Emily ninja sociopath and Nolan master hackerisms. Even Fauxmanda. After S2 finale i was quite excited about where the show was heading, so it was a great dissapointment to see how they killed all those storylines and now seem to be going nowere. Even Victoria is loosing her allure. I would still love to see Conrad as Mayor or whatevs, planning terrorisms with the dark people.
Flag
Seriously. I wish someone else would write the comments on Revenge's episodes.
Even if something was amiss with the show, one could put it in more subtle words, even use some humor. It's not entertaining to read someone else's ill-humored rantings.
It's Revenge, it's supposed to be soapy, it was from the start. It will always be over the top and most of the story lines are exaggerated and unbelievable. So what?
I still like Revenge and I liked this week's episode. What's there not to understand?
Daniel is a douche. He was then and always will be. He crashed his car and cowardly let his family handle the so-called love of his life. He's an unsure twit with no spine and it's very believable that he falls for Sara's Spaniel eyes. He just experienced that his fiancé has triple the balls he has, no wonder he feels threatened and wants someone like Sara by his side. With her, he can play the hero he'll never be. If he was an honest man, he would have refrained himself from sleeping with his ex and it that sex mansion of his father's, for heaven's sake. He really did Conrad proud, I must say.

Emily faking pregnancy is a master stroke. How long until the wedding? Two more weeks? *lol*
Daniel wouldn't notice that something's not right for a far longer period of time. Some women don't show until the fourth month. (A silk ribbon - 1 Dollar; Picture of a sonogram - 250 Dollars; the look on Daniel's face? - Priceless!)
And Emily can always fake nausea now, if Daniel wants to get near her. Brilliant!
And what an abomination it would be, if Victoria killed her son's pregnant wife. That even adds more spice to Emily's plan. I like it very much. Let's hope that we get a tiny glimpse of the mother of the groom in handcuffs.
Knowing Victoria, it won't be for long, but it sure would be priceless to watch the look on her face, when she finds out that

I, for once, can't wait to see what will become of Emily's great plan to get shot and disappear. And Sunday's episode kept me nicely entertained, even without a glass of Merlot.
More+
Flag
"He just experienced that his fiancé has triple the balls he has, no wonder he feels threatened and wants someone like Sara by his side."

This was classic Daniel to actually let his mother publicly abuse his betrothed at her own bridal shower then somehow try and blame his betrothed for it. Little wonder Emily can't stand him... I never could.
Flag

Kaitlin, thanks for your weekly review. You write each of them with your heart, and you are clearly honest with your feelings, and I like that. Below my cold and emotions free insight.

Since the beginning of the season 3 we have been informed that Revenge was becoming a soap opera, so I just get it. Everyone has an extra lover, and everyone sleeps or will sleep with somebody. So they are calling that LOVE. I get it too. The quality of the plots are not, the showrunner priority at least for now. What he wants is for us to discover Emily through her lovers. So, his team decided to define each lovers characters, and force Emily to choose one. They are also using her friendship with Nolan for this purpose.
Here the main problem with that approach: no one needs lovers to know who s/he is. In real life, it's not through lovers we usually discover who we are, but through challenges; and our action speaks for us.

I have to agree on that point with you: not only they rushed the plots, but also they didn't take time to build relationships between new comers.
1- After 4 years, Sara came from nowhere and she has to be the ONE for Daniel. Why on earth has he needed a lover to figure out that his relationship with Emily is weak, multiple times her own mother prove it to him?
2- Emily's first hubby, out of the blue showed up whereas in S1 Frank (an excellent investigator) found out for her Juvelile center stay, her switch of identity but not the husband. However, Victoria asked him to investigate her past.
3- Did Aiden also give Emily his agreement to marry the 'green card lover'?

My final points are this show conveys two wrong messages: the first one is Human beings are lovers independent or sex addict. Being single seems to be an anomaly. The second one our identity (who we are), are defined by lovers. Jack, the 'true love' of a 8 year-old girl, sets that idea. In previous messages, I did write that Revenge show lost its inner soul, and each new episode proves it to me.

More+
Flag
Yeah, im bored with Emilys lovers, i just want to see her kick ass, Buffy the vampire slayer style. That is who she is! Bring her back!
Flag
I'm bored too... but unfortunately that's the showrunner choice.
Flag
error: human beings are lovers independents or sex addicts...
Flag
Flag
I am really struggling to sympathize with anyone this season, except for (at times) Nolan. It's been entertaining, for sure, but lately the show has seemed like it's missing something. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the writers have been struggling to provide us with a reason to care that any of these characters succeed with their goals?
Flag
Can I haz Nolan and Aiden sun tanning scenes please?
I loves *>
Flag
This was the first episode this season that I really liked! I was wondering what Emily was going to do to keep Daniel. Fake pregnancy is an oldie but goodie. I am not understanding this quickly rekindled relationship with Daniel and Sarah. I was actually angry with Daniel for cheating on Emily. For all he knows, Emily is now his faithful and loving wife to be. I was confused with his wanting not to marry Emily because she was able to handle Victoria's grenades. He should have been proud of her because he knows how his mom chews up the women in life and spits them out. And Emily made it look like she was a martyr by marrying a guy so he could get his green card. And Daniel doesn't admire that but instead hates Emily??
Flag
Daniel doesn't hate Emily, he just can't get through the wedding because of his feelings for Sarah. ^
Flag
Sorry, you are right. He doesn't hate her but no longer loves her because he said she is very much like his mother.
Flag
And he is right, Emily is a lot like Victoria, she is also obsessed with her and remember that deep inside she hates that smarmy ass Daniel. He is no man for her, he is a coward. And eventually he would sense that, and be scared and run away with whatever guest star they give him. Good thing she pulled the preggers card, so his little affair will have to wait.
Flag
Does anyone know are they going to shot 22 episodes like in previous seasons?Because this is definitely become quantity over quality.I always prefer 5 great episodes instead 22 average ones.
Flag
Best part of the episode was when Emily snapped at Jack. I was like you go girl. That man manages to drive me crazy every other episode. He's sooooo annoyingly judgmental. I don't hate him, but boy, do i sometimes wish to just reach out and slap him good.

Flag
Me too! He is the stupidest man on this show. He should start scheming with Emily and get on with the program. But since he is an ass, i think they should have killed him instead of Fauxmanda, who was a cool chick who wasnt affraid to smash brains and shoot guns if needed.
Flag
Amen.
Flag
Just felt displaced by this episode and like Whaaat? Zzz. As usual, Nolan was fun.
Flag
Did anyone else notice that Sara wants to put strawberries in the wedding cake and asked Daniel if Emily would take issue? Isn't Em allergic to those? Of course Daft Danny didn't know. Just wondering if there's more to Sara than meets the eye.
Flag
Omg its true. Bitch is up to something...
Flag
I thought the same thing when I saw her with the strawberries! But "Amanda" is allergic to strawberries, so Daniel doesn't know anything about it because "Emily" supposedly isn't.
Flag
After all of this time one would think that he should at least know that she doesn't eat them even if she kept the actual allergy a secret. The bigger point however is what happens if Sara does add a strawberry layer to the cake. Strawberries? lol This is too random for it not to be foreboding... and why would someone add strawberries to something as important as a wedding cake when lemon was specifically requested.
Flag
Could the strawberries be motivated by a suspicion of Victoria's?
Flag
You know how great it would be if strawberries were the demise of Emily though? She can survive two gunshots to the abdomen, but one bite of a strawberry and she's as good as dead haha.
Flag
I basically agree with everything that was said in the review (with the exception of being a Daniel fan). Watching Revenge this season has been frustrating. This showed is supposed to be my guilty pleasure, so at the very least it should be pleasurable.

I hate soap operas and while Revenge is one big soap, it held my interest the last two seasons because of its plot twists. Now everything is boring. I feel like this episode was a rehash of last week's episode. I don't like that the writers are trying to force Sarah down our throats. Sure, she's a nice girl--whatever. Can we please move on from this cliche? I'm bored to tears.

I feel like Daniel's affair and wanting to leave Emily would be more suspenseful if we didn't already know they make it to the wedding day. They should have been more discrete in the opening scene during the season premiere. I predict Emily's scheme doesn't go exactly as planned and she really does get shot. However you know either way she's going to be okay because hardly anyone ever dies on this show.

That leads to Lydia... How the hell is this chick not dead yet? From now on I refuse to believe anyone actually dies on this show unless we see a body. That means for all we know Declan is alive. A really cool plot twist would be if David Clarke is still alive.

More+
Flag
"Hardly anyone dies on this show" What??? Frank, the guy dead in the bath in the pool house, Tyler, Fauxmanda, Nate Ryan, Helen Crowley, Colleen (Aiden's sister) , The white haired man, Padma, Trask, Takeda, Declan, the priest...... I'm sure there are some others that I have forgotten. I would say dying is high risk on Revenge.
Flag
Let me rephrase to "hardly anyone that we care about"
Flag
"A really cool plot twist would be if David Clarke is still alive."

No, just no. ^

that would ruin the entire premise of the show.
Flag
It would be a good FU moment
Flag
That reveal would make me immediately quit watching.
Flag
this show is definitely not the same without mike kelley i say lets all sign a petition to bring mike kelley back
Flag
Yeah, this show is starting to feel like a parade of cliches...its so ridiculous how Emily had to basically spell it out for Spaniel that she is with child...because most men know what usually comes after "I was all high on emotions...not really typical for me....so I went to the doctor". LOL, the look on Danny's face....what a bastard!
Flag
Emily is only interested in getting him on the boat, so she needs the wedding to take place. She's not planning on a fake 9 month pregnancy. Remember, she doesn't WANT to be with him. Yes, the whole Sarah thing is completely ridiculous. Jack angry and hateful one week and jealous the next annoying. But I watch the show for Nolan and Emily's interaction. Nolan is great every week no matter the weak plot line. Watching Emily and Victoria fake smile never get old.
Flag
I must be a true fan of this show because I know that this id ridiculous in a not-good way, but I am still really enjoying these episodes. And I am usually one who starts criticizing shows when they start to change for the worse, but for some reason I still love Revenge. I even like it more than season 2..... Anyway I know this says more about me than the show though.
Flag
finally! i must be a true fan as well cuz i found the episode to be very good. im still really in to the show
Flag
My theory is that Sarah is a Revenger and Daniel is her way in. Think about it.
Flag
It's funny that the review is so harsh this week b/c I thought this was finally one of the better episodes;
Emily managed to rather successfully manipulate Victoria, Daniel, and Sarah. Something she has not managed to pull off all season...so it was good to see her in fighting form, even if it did involve a fake pregnancy, which is FINE, since she's supposed to be 'murdered' in the next episode by Victoria...plenty of excuse for a miscarriage don't you think?
Flag
I thought the episode was adequate. The fake pregnancy didn't bother me much. But I have to say that I was hoping that Daniel would dump her anyway.

"there are only two ways for that story to end: Either Emily fakes nine months of pregnancy [...] or she has to fake a miscarriage."

Did you forget that she's planning to fake her own death very soon?
Flag
Didn't forget. Just didn't care, because Emily doesn't know whether or not her plan will succeed.
Flag
I'm not rich nor were my parents, so please explain to me what a secret-sex-den-butler has to do? it's not like it's been visited on a daily basis (and if, only for a couple of hours tops) - so, he has the house for himself most of the time? do they call before they come over or does he have to wear his cute little uniform every day, just in case? what do you shop for a secret sex den? champagne and strawberries? or do you have to come up with extravagant recipes, also just in case? it's either the worst or the best job - I can't decide!

am I the only one puzzled by this? I need some answers!
Flag
A) it's a night time soap so I can accept some of the ridiculous plotlines
B) Maybe Sara's just one of those poor wanna-be's happy just to have the attention of that clueless 1%er boy. Daniel's character has for too long been a wasteful presence on a show about Emily's revenge against the Grayson elders. Sara and Daniel deserve each other.
C) Lydia coming back actually makes sense and is good soapy drama. She's no fool. I remember after the plane crash and Victoria showing up, I looked for Lydia. If Vic got off that plane no doubt Lydia would've seen and followed her off.
D) There's nothing wrong with Charlotte. She's Dumbo's baby sister and senses his fiancé is full of doggydung. Her response and disdain for Emily is one if the most honest things about this show right now.
E) The problem with Revenge is that this story has been dragged out for too damn long. Emily could've cleared her father' name, and if her previous takedowns are any indication she could've also ruined them financially and in any other way by now. They've milked this beyond it's sell-by date. An American Horror Story-type format would've fit this series much better with EVC, Stowe and others returning as different characters in revenge scenarios.
F) I've personally thought that Emily's revenge was always doomed to failure, despite the early red sharpie fun. Wasn't that the whole purpose of the series in the first place? Her father's warnings, "...dig two graves", the folly of revenge? It's all a matter of what she loses in the end (Jack? Nolan?) and how she learns this lesson.
More+
Flag
Yes,the showrunners want to keep milking a plot that can only have a satisfying ending if they don't!
Flag
Yes, Revenge is doomed. Emily will surely fall apart at the end. Will she learn to let go? Or go up in flames? That's the interesting part of the series. The rest is just a journey with some successes and some failures.
If it has to end, I'd prefer Jack. Nolan is too ambiguous for my taste. He'd make a great godfather, though. :)
Flag
I loved your idea for the format, it would make the series way more interesting.
Flag
It would be fascinating to see the actors in different roles too.
Flag
Emily didn't recover from Victoria's ambush that quickly, because she had everything planned. She told the reporter about her first husband because she knew Victoria would do something (she even said it to Nolan).

We, the fans, knew how the episode was going to end, it was so obvious.

I'm hoping for a big wedding !
Flag
Yeah I also felt like we were getting way too soap opera with whole Emily is pregnant stuff but to be fair she was desperate. She knew Daniel was going to leave her and she is supposed to disappear in the next two weeks (revenge's timeline) soo it kinda makes sense... to me.
Damn it is so cliche and snobbish and Downton Abbey-like but I want a butler!
Nolan and Aiden are roomies... weird.
I kinda like that Aiden is showing his true colors (the whole Emily doesn't need to know that I'm using her sisters stuff)... he is a wild card. I know he says he does things for Emily's sake but he is too unpredictable.

Flag
I SO want Aiden dead!
Flag
Revenge has reached a new low. A faked pregnancy?

I love Karine Vanasse but her Margaux has got to go. She does not bring anything new to the dynamic of the show.

And dnt get me started in Charlotte. What is her purpose on the show?

Oh dear writers, delivre-nous de ces histoires a faire dormir debout.
Flag
Also? I couldn't help laughing at Daniel's face when Emily told him she's pregnant. He looked like he was about to vomit.
Flag
I'm still mostly enjoying the plot and the twists in this show, but it really doesn't have the same impact as it used to. Maybe it's because I'm used to it now and expect it from the show, but I think it's mostly just not written as well anymore.

Oh, and I did spend the entire time in the first season right up until the last second thinking Daniel was going to die.
Flag
I agree that it was a pretty average episode, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Emily only has to fake pregnancy for the few weeks of the leadup to the wedding anyway because that it when the big take-down happens and she disappears, so that is a moot point. Still think Jake and Emily are inlove deep down and will end up together, they deserve it!
Flag
Finally, someone who wants Jack and Emily together. I think they are in love and deserve to be together. I just wish the writers would make Jack a better written character. I never thought when this season started he would be mad at Emily and not want to have anything to do with her, and I don't like the fact that "Frenchie" was added to the mix.
Flag
Sorry Jack I mean!
Flag
It's not like Emily is planning to fake a pregnancy for nine months, she just needs to do it for a couple more weeks and then she's "dead." Quite frankly, it's a brilliant move, what's a better plan than framing Victoria for killing her son's bride. Framing Victoria for killing her son's PREGNANT bride. A jury would fry her.
Flag
I think this show is looking the plot now; too many variables. Emily was meant to have her day then be with Jack. Fake Amanda having Carl; What is Charlotte up to now? Lydia is back I just think too many people; there was the initiative, Victoria's son. It just feels like there are so many cooks contributing to one dish.
Flag
Ok I'm obviously in the minority here as I am most every week, but I'm just so tired of people bitching about the show. I liked this episode, and I've liked every episode. So what if it's as soapy as an oil-slicked penguin in Dawn soap, I love every minute of guilty pleasure. I'm just so tired of people bitching about it. I feel like it's the only satisfaction they get after each episode "Hm what was bad about this episode that I can complain about that I haven't complained about before? Aiden? No I've been bitching about him since Season 2 because I just don't like him and I'm so close-minded as to why anyone would ever like him. How about Jack? No he's always been boring and serves no purpose. Sarah? Yeah why should I care about her, she's useless they should have introduced her earlier or not at all." You're not supposed to care about Sarah!!! And if the writers would have introduced her earlier in the season people would just bitch it was an unnecessary character taking up plot space and you wouldn't have cared about her anyway because you would have never given her a chance!!! I'll give you a reason why Sarah has "forgiven" Daniel so quick, because she's a gold digger. Plain and simple. That is her plot point. Jesus she worked with Victoria to break up the marriage without knowing if Daniel was even interested. And you're seriously going to complain with how Emily played off the bridal shower surprise? It was her plan!!!! They explained it at the end of the episode that it was part of her plan! I was genuinely surprised to see that Victoria found Emily's ex husband, and that Emily was really married before. That can't be something to praise, instead you're going to spin it and bitch about it? And the Lydia deal I saw coming last week, and I'm a little disappointed she's "back from the dead". I was really hoping for Mason Treadwell and still waiting for that story. But you know what she was a great villain in Season 1 and I'm sure it will be interesting to see what she brings to the table. And the whole fake pregnancy, of course Emily had to manipulate Daniel to get him to stay with her. What else was she going to do, kill Sarah? Look at the poll at the end of the review, clearly some people have some faith in this show and enjoy it. Wow, that got a little ranty. So there are my frustrations. I've been trying to see some light in these reviews, and sometimes they have good points. But I am so tired of reading them and scrolling through the comments and seeing bitchy rant after bitchy rant. So here's my bitchy rant to counter your bitchy rant. I miss Lily terribly, she always saw the light in the show and wrote about that, along with fun photocaps that got us through the rough times. Now go ahead and play a drinking game to how many times I said "bitch" in this comment.
More+
Flag
well said girl! i totally agree!
Flag
If there was any light in the show, I would write about the light in the show. But so far Season 3 has been disappointment after disappointment. If you're tired of the reviews, maybe don't read them.
Flag
But I want to read your reviews, don't get me wrong I do, or else I wouldn't. And I know you've been getting a lot of flack on here, and I know it must be a rough job to write reviews for a show that is slipping in quality. I get all of that. In reading the reviews it gives me the opportunity to see something from someone else's perspective that I may not have seen before, and that's what I like about the reviews. I may not agree with your opinions or someone else's, but that is bound to happen anyway with a show like this. What I don't get is why the people commenting complain about the same thing every week and keep tuning in to see if anything changes when they know it won't. Just stop watching if you don't want to keep getting disappointed. My initial comment was 8 weeks worth of frustrations that I kept my mouth shut about, and I let it all out. I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention. On the plus side though, I look forward to your Nolan Outfit of the Episode bit, so keep up the good work on that.
More +
Flag
"In reading the reviews it gives me the opportunity to see something from someone else's perspective that I may not have seen before, and that's what I like about the reviews."

"Trust me, you don't need to compile a list of everything you're bitching about. I've been reading the same shit with difference words for about 5 weeks now."
Flag
I've been reading about your 1 dimensional perspective for weeks. There's nothing new there. What I'm talking about is something that happens in the episode that maybe I didn't think of. For instance when she said if it turns out that Emily actually is pregnant. I didn't really consider that a possibility until she shed some light on it. But go ahead and continue to troll on my comments without answering my question. I'm tired of arguing with a faceless person over the internet.
Flag
"I'm just so tired of people bitching about the show."

*goes onto writing a 20 minute essay/rant of bitching about people bitching*
Flag
It was a counter-bitch to people's bitching of the show, as you do every week. Just airing my frustrations in one post rather than spreading it out over the course of an entire season.
Flag
Oddly enough, this series of comments is better than what this show has become.
Flag
And yes, I've stopped watching...
Flag
casssize

Yes, I say that they recycle storylines because every week it's a new thing they recycle. Why should I stop saying it, as the writers keep doing it and they keep recycling different things every single episode?

- Patrick vs Tyler and his connection with Nolan
- the engagement/wedding fiasco from the first part of season 1
- the small take-downs Emily did in the first part of season 1
- Daniel meeting Sarah's brother (and Daniel telling Emily about the accident that "supposedly" left Sarah an invalid) in S1 vs Daniel meeting Sarah and his connection with her is revisted yet again in S3
- Lydia in S1 vs let's bring Lydia back (S3) even though she died in Season 1's plane crash and we'll come up with a bs retcon reason as to why she's still alive (she should have stayed dead)
- fake-Amanda pregnancy in S1 vs Emily faking pregnancy in S3
- the boat incident that happened in S2 vs Emily getting shot on the yacht in S3
- Victoria trying to break up Emily and Daniel in S1 vs Victoria doing the exact same thing in S3

Should I even keep going?

it's just a running theme throughout season 3. Why should I be happy about it? or excited that they are doing the same things over and over while they are giving us nothing new in return?

Like I said, if the show was any good then people would stop complaining.

and seriously don't you dare call me hypocrite, at least I'm consistent in my dislike of the show and that has never changed.^
More +
Flag
Trust me, you don't need to compile a list of everything you're bitching about. I've been reading the same shit with difference words for about 5 weeks now. "Don't you dare call me a hypocrite." LOL, you called me a hypocrite and you're getting mad that I (in your words) "called you on your bs, and hypocrisy." Are you a writer for the show, because you seem to be recycling your comments like the show is recycling plot points. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that. And are you implying that my views of the show are inconsistent? Every week I find something positive in the episode to write about, and I guess you find the same thing to bitch about every week. But whatever floats your boat I guess. And if you're not excited, or happy, or satisfied, or whatever with the show then, for the third time, why the hell do you keep watching it?!?!?!?
Flag
that makes no sense whatsoever. and it doesn't make you less of a hypocrite.

anyway, if you are not happy with people complaining just ignore those comments. no one is forcing you to read them.

if the show was any good, people wouldn't complain.
Flag
Seriously, reasons? I'm all for you watching the show, whatever floats your boat, but why do you watch it if you constantly bash it? How many times can you reword "They're just recycling the plots from Season 1" with different gifs and pictures? In that case then you're the hypocrite because you're recycling your same comment week after week. I really don't know what "bs" I'm being called out on, but whatever. And as for my hypocrisy, if I were complaining about the show then yes, I would be a hypocrite. I just hate to see the same people week after week bicker about the same things but they continue to watch it. Obviously y'all like something about it that y'all refuse to share that you keep tuning in to see. And I didn't start an argument, that was all you when you called me a hypocrite.
Flag
idk. reasons?

I like bitching about Aiden? (sue me)

and I'm not the one "bickering" as you are the one who started an argument by saying people should stop complaining in a comment in all you do is complain about people complaining.

I just called you on your bs, and hypocrisy.
Flag
Then why do you keep watching the show if all you do is bicker about it week in and week out?
Flag
This show has become so ridiculous. Actually, let me rephrase that: this show has ALWAYS been ridiculous (as all soap operas are wont), but it's shifted from delightfully-unexpected-and-highly-entertaining ridiculous to WTF-am-I-watching-right-now-and-why ridiculous. This episode was awful. It was highly predictable, relied FAR too much on tired tropes, and I have lost any interest in rooting for any of these characters anymore (except Nolan....I will always root for Nolan!). I do not care who "wins" at this point. I miss wanting Emily to win. I miss seeing moments of humanity in Victoria. I miss the unpredictability of this show.

I will continue watching for now with the hope that they will recover some ground, but if things continue this way, I will not be tuning in for much longer.
Flag
"It's like the writers bought a Soap Opera for Dummies book and all of the originality of the series has been sucked away and replaced with boring cliches. At this point, I'd trade any of those plots for Conrad's faked Huntington's Disease story because despite being mostly unbelievable, at least it didn't reek of desperation."

Yes, yes, yes! This is spot on!
Flag
Can someone else review Revenge? I'm all for calling it out when its lacking (and a lot of this season has been lacking) but it just kind of feels like these reviews are being written by someone who doesn't want to like the show and those are never fun to read.
Flag
The reviewer asks "Did you see how quickly Emily was able to recover from Victoria's ambush with her first husband". Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Emily feed information to Bizzy last week? So presumably she knew this news would come out? Therefore was fully prepared?
Flag
You are correct. She even confirmed so with Nolan a few scenes later.
Flag
Well she doesn't have to fake it for long, the wedding is supposed to be in two weeks from the show time (and I am willing to be that is a picture of baby Carl that Fauxamanda gave her at some earlier point). What'll be funnier about that is that Emily pretty much has to do the next three episodes stone cold sober.

So, I wrote this earlier, I am getting Aiden gets waylaid from picking Emily up in the boat, I am guessing the purchase of the gun doesn't got the way Aiden wants it to, I am guessing several witnesses will be willing to testify that Jack and Emily had some heated discussions over the past several weeks and Nolan realizes because Aiden is either in jail or otherwise occupied, no one picked up Emily and she is stuck in the Atlantic Ocean (because that route is no Nantucket Harbor) in a heavy wedding dress and Nolan is the only one who knows she should have that watch on, Nolan and either Aiden or Jack follow the signal and Emily is gone. Mid season finale.
Flag
I'm going with the Aiden framing Charlotte out of convenience angle,it fits with how he has hurt Nolan and Jack when he felt like it.
Flag
Fantastic prediction! Lets see! :)
Flag
Yeah I do feel like Revenge is on it's last leg, and that last leg is like "can I finally sit down yet?" and this is coming from someone who loved the show. I felt it improved over last week because A) it kept my attention and B) I finally felt like Emily got somewhat of a win finally! So much shit has gone wrong for her consecutively but this came together nicely, although it could've been done better but I won't continue to rant lol we'll see if Revenge pulls a season 2 finale move and reel us back in.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members