A Revenge Community
ABC (ended 2015)

Revenge S03E15: "Struggle"

Contrary to what Revenge might like us to believe, there's more to the Hamptons than just the Graysons and Emily's revengenda against them. The show doesn't have a huge regular cast, and there are only so many times Emily can declare she's going to destroy the Graysons only to exchange death glares with Victoria instead, which means the writers often create and introduce new characters in order to expand the show's horizons and heighten the drama. Unfortunately, Revenge also has a horrible habit of letting them languish in relatively poorly drawn storylines that only mildly affect the main cast, thus leading viewers to wonder what their purpose in the Hamptons actually is. 

The latest victim to fall prey to Revenge's secondary character disease is Justin Hartley's abs Patrick, Victoria's first-born son. When he was introduced at the beginning of Season 3, he was an intriguing mystery—who was he and where did he come from? What was his life like before he was reunited with his mother? Did he have an ulterior motive for moving to the Hamptons? Nolan tracked down Patrick's ex-wife to get the dirt on the newcomer in town, but Patrick's storyline was never as good as it should have been. That ultimately wasn't surprising, given the series' proclivity to stumble in these situations, but when he first showed up, he was the first character to feel like he could have been as unpredictable and interesting as he appeared to be. His oddly close relationship with his mother, a woman he'd just met, was weird enough to make viewers sit up and take notice, as was his growing relationship with Nolan.

But by the time Patrick packed his bags and hopped a plane to Italy in "Struggle," he was nothing more than another wasted character in a long line of them (see also: Ashley, and to an extent, Declan). His once intriguing relationship with the mother he'd only known for five minutes became unhealthy. He was a twice murderer who blamed his rapist father for the darkness that dwelled within his soul, rather than someone who could accept that his actions were his and his alone. His every move was made for one reason—to please his mother, a woman who wasn't asking him to clean up her messes. It was horribly cliched for Patrick to blame his father for his actions simply because he was born from a horrible situation, but we never got to know Patrick well enough to truly know whether or not this was a recent development or something he'd lived with his entire life. And the result was a rather hollow exit from the series as Victoria eventually realized that Patrick was never going to stop trying to protect her, and schemed with Nolan to save him from himself. 

I won't miss Patrick, and I wish him well in his next life as an apprentice to a famous artist, but the writers obviously thought he was far more interesting than he actually was. Instead, his presence in the Hamptons hindered the story, rather than added to it. Not only did he make Victoria go soft, but it took time away from other arcs the series should've been concentrating, like Emily's revenge.

From where I sit, it's pretty clear that the reason Revenge keeps introducing mysterious new characters like Patrick and Stevie Grayson isn't to expand the world of the Hamptons, but to avoid having to spend too much time on Emily's mission to ruin the Graysons. The show is stalling, and although that could be a good business decision that might help the show's creative team remain employed for a longer period of time, it's not a great call, narratively. Stevie's storyline is still too new to know what effect she'll have on the show, but she's far more integrated into the Revenge saga after three episodes than Patrick ever was.

Stevie is the owner of Grayson Manor, which pits her against Victoria—a situation that could bring back the venomous Queen Vee we've missed this season—but she's also Jack's birth mother, and she might be tied to Emily's father. The lady's got lots of secrets (like, I'm confused as to why her hair isn't bigger in an effort to conceal them all), but I worry that Stevie will suffer a similar fate as Patrick, who went from the intriguing new man in town to a stereotypical character written out of the series because he'd run his course. I don't trust Stevie, but that's part of the reason she's exciting. She hates the Graysons as much as Emily—who discovered this week that the cause of her blackouts was a hidden memory that revealed she actually blamed her father for everything that happened—and that could lead to a partnership down the road. Stevie feels like the type of woman who could take on Victoria, and while I'm steeling myself to eventually see her lifeless body in a ditch, I'm looking forward to the shockwaves her presence will inevitably cause. Plus, now that Patrick's gone, her life expectancy probably just went way, way up.

"Struggle" was an episode that tied up lingering storylines while introducing new ones, so it's hard to judge it beyond the fact that it was merely an in-betweener. But it also proves the sad truth of Revenge: The series excels at creating new and interesting storylines and characters, but often fails in its execution of them. Emily's blackouts are gone, having been swept under the rug like the failed Initiative plot of Season 2, and Patrick is gone because he wasn't interesting enough to keep around. He was the human embodiment of all that's wrong with Revenge, and it's my hope that Stevie will finally buck the trend and get the series back on its once-exciting path. She's injecting life back into the series, and it's my hope that she'll help Emily refocus her plans, because despite the name of the series, it's been far too long since she's actually done much to reach her goals.

NOTES

– Stevie helped Jack get his house—which okay, if anyone would like to come forward and help me buy a house (preferably by paying for it in full), I'd be grateful. That woman is sneaky and I don't trust her and I love it so much.

– Charlotte pretending to be an actual adult might be the funniest thing Revenge has ever tried to convince us of. 

– "Stop torturing yourself about the past." Oh, Victoria, if we did that, you wouldn't have a show!

– LOL @ Daniel's P.I. because he's like 12 years old. But now Daniel has photographic evidence that could be used to annul his marriage to Emily, or blackmail Emily into doing what he wants.

– Nolan's new infinity box was a sweet gesture. Smart, too, since it can only be opened with Emily's fingerprint. One day that will probably come back to bite Nolan in the ass, I'm sure. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/10/2015

Season 4 : Episode 23

77 Comments
Comments (77)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I find it hard to believe Daniel thinks he could use Emily kissing Aiden as an excuse for divorce since he pretty much moved Sara into the house right after the wedding.
Flag
I really, really hoped that Aiden would be going away, but he seems to be getting even closer with Emily. I really hate that. Maybe Daniel will do something terrible to him after seeing the picture and he will actually go away and stay there.

I'm pretty sure that it is going to be revealed that Conrad is actually Jack's father. That would cause some pretty good drama.
Flag
Maybe Aiden can get killed in the season finale!
Flag
"...who went from the intriguing new man in town to a stereotypical character written out of the series because he'd run his course."

To be fair, a lot of shows use this unfortunate technique. At least Revenge uses them and puts them away. Unlike other show *cough* OUAT *ahem* that just keeps bringing in more and more characters without telling us what happened to a bunch of the previous cast and has left their story lines up in the air.
Flag
I hope Aiden stays until the end. Emily, Aiden and Nolan makes a great team against the Grayson's.

Jack is one dimentional.
Flag
Stevie adding support on Revenge as the one grown up in the first generation of the show, would be fabulous. Emily came to the Hamptons to get revenge and ultimately heal. She needs relationships with continuity (Jack) to for this. Hope she and Stevie, Nolan, Aiden and Jack team up, leaving Victoria and the rest dead in a ditch with her Dad's reputation avenged. There was no point in the show without love and revenge. There has been enough loss.
Flag
I like Daniel getting pictures of Emily with Aiden because I want them to get divorced. I didn't like how it ended with her still pretending to love him and remaining his wife after he shot her. I want her away from him now, but get revenge on him from a distance. I don't want her to act like a vicious housewife - that's Victoria's role.

So glad to see the end of Patrick! Hopefully Aiden is gone for good too now.

I like Stevie's introduction. She seemed so sincere with Jack, but there's something fishy about her. Poor Jack.
Flag
Thank God Patrick is gone. I am equally grateful that Jack FINALLY has an interesting storyline and isn't being pushed at Margaux the masher. I am vaguely curious about Stevie but not overly so. I really enjoyed the tender moment between Jack and Emily. Want more of these. Aiden finally gone I HOPE!
Flag
i think revenge should try what the wlaking dead its doing right now..maybe if they split the characters into diferent episodes the stories wolud be more interesting...theres no need to show every character per episode
Flag
Revenge better do something.. If the storyline keeps going downhill. I want Aiden back . I think their best characters r Emily, Aiden, and Nolan. They r like the good guys trying to bring down the bad. All the characters r wasted space. I'm soo soo sick of jack and charlette
Flag
Sorry a/b typos. Typing w/o my contacts. Lol. But I need my "revenge" man back.. Aiden! Aiden!
Flag
NO MORE AIDEN!!
Flag
Totally disagreeing w/u loldude1. Aiden has the 007 suave. He's hottest guy on the show.. LOL ..
Flag
It pains me to see what the writers did to Patrick! he could have been such an interesting character (I mean, he was between NOLAN and VICTORIA, how can you be more potentially interesting than this?)
Flag
I think Emily has more than enough on hand to counter any photos Danny has. He had an affair openly. At best she'd keep the name and continue to be a Grayson like Victoria. Heck she'd just team up w/ his father.
Flag
hmmmmm... So if Stevie visited David C when EManda was a teen (presumably as he hoped SHE would be visiting) and Stevie was still drinking, that means the 19 years sober token is a lie! Shame...
PS. the PI is played by Steven Strait of 'The Covenant' and '10,000BC' leading man infamy ... perhaps that means he will be around for a bit .... anyone think he may be an EManda ally?
Flag
So the blackouts are just gone? thats just stupid
Flag
If Stevie Grayson is Jacks mother... who was Declans mother?
Flag
Carl's wife? The woman who raised both Jack and declan before blowing town 20 odd years ago.
Flag
thats exactly what i was wondering since this reveal.
Flag
this show is so painful for me to watch now it's sad. needs to end asap
Flag
haha i'm so glad i don't feel this way anymore coz i cut my losses while i still could (couldnt get past halfway the first episode this season)
Flag
Patrick and Aiden were used as eye and bod candy distraction when the plot of Revenge became absurd. Now that they're gone, can we have some real strategies like in Season 1? When Stevie declared to Jack she was his mother, I thought to myself, really? Is it time to really dump the show? Seriously?
Flag
so many doubters here have patience people! although not much happened in this episode but i think that this episode was a way for the writers to say that they are getting back on track.
Flag
I didnt understand why the show's creator Mike Kelley left.... I do now. My favorite show is going downhill so fast, i need seatbelts to watch it. Its another 'Heroes' where you get to the point, you dont even care anymore what happens... SAD :(((
Flag
At least Stevie is already way more interesting that Patrick ever was...

And I thought about that when Nolan gave Emily the new infinity box. Sweet, but somehow it's gonna be problematic.
Flag
Whats your problem. You didn't discuss the episode, you just discussed how wasted and pointless some characters on revenge are. Yeah it's true, it's sad. Revenge keeps extending itself with pointless characters because seriously Emily can complete her mission in 2 seasons straight and so Patrick should have never been introduced.. but still. The show just got rid of a pointless character, of some mess, and for the first time in lots of episodes Emily was herself and they also made another referrence to David Clarke and gave us more details on the moments before he was arrested. They made an interesting twist with David and Stevie and uncovered another EXCITING mystery that makes us wonder can Stevie be a true ally of Amanda and what did she want with her father. In addition, we saw NEMILY again after so long time,,,,I just got rly excited...
Revenge is back so be happy..and watch the promo of next episode to tease yourself.
Flag
Staff
My problem is that this episode was largely a way to make the series problems magically disappear. Revenge is stalling and barely moving forward at this point, only introducing characters who have no purpose only to write them out when they realize it. There was very little that happened this week to discuss, except that Patrick left. Emily's storyline was hardly the A story this week. She had her head dunked in a basin full of water over and over and it magically knocked a memory lose? A memory that made her have blackouts? It's another example of how the series presents an interesting storyline only to throw it away several episodes later because they can't follow through on it, just like Patrick. The discussion of how terrible the Patrick arc played out is representative of everything that's currently wrong with the series.
Flag
Don't forget Edward Grayson and Kara Clarke Murphy being casually written out after being central to plotlines and the viewers being expected to forget.
Flag
I agree about the uselessness of Patrick. He had such potential. I had been waiting and waaaaaaaaaiting for the other shoe to drop and an ulterior motive to appear because I didn't think it made any sense for him to be so devoted to his mother that he just met. Then they write him out because deep down he's a good man who needs to be saved from his own savior complex? Are you effing kidding me, show? That is so dumb. And dull. Feh, good riddance, Patrick, though I will miss your shirtlessness.

I don't see how Daniel could possibly blackmail Emily with this Aidan business. He SHOT her, I think her leverage is still better.
Flag
I'd love to see Victoria out of the house and Stevie as the owner. And a kind request to the writers: Nolan deserves to be happy for once in his life (with Patrick or smb else I don't care). Come on, give him a break!
Flag
Ownership of that house has been unrealistically presented from the first time Victoria ordered Conrad out and THEN demanded to become owner in the divorce.
Flag
I think you hit the nail on top of the head with this review; I've been giving this show the eye roll for a long time because of it's wasted characters, it's true the show keeps bringing in people that seem like that come on like a hurricane but exit with a wimper such as Emily's brother, mother, Declan, Ashley, the Initiative, um what happened to Nolan's boyfriend that came back for is bi-sexual triangle with Padma who was also a wasted character, Patrick was wasted, Aiden is wasted, Takai and his daughter both came and went, the only one that really came and wient with any impact was Amanda. When it was first announced that Stevie was going to be added to the cast I gave her four episodes, five tops before Victoria sent her packing. I guess I"m wrong about that but the reviewer is right the writers/producers are stalling. Why has Emily not gotten revenge on Daniel as evil as he's become towards her, what was the point of making Emily think she slept with Conrad if it didn't happen, Why has Victoria not come up with some crazy plot to get rid of Emily? How unnecessary has Charlotte become? Without her one little story Declan; she has no purpose, the mean girls are gone, the shows just a mess right now, I keep holding on hope that the show will get back to it'season one glory but I think I'm just fooling myself. I don' t think anything exciting will happen until May sweeps leading to the shows finale. I hope I'm proven wrong, next week looks good but the teasers always use misdirection. I"m sure Daniel leaked the picture of Aiden and Emily kissing and that's what the big fuss is about; but what about his very open affair with Sara that he rubbed in Emily's face. Come on Revenge pull the pieces together; I no longer watch the shows on Sunday's I watch it Monday now, its no longer must see TV
More+
Flag
Sometimes these reviews are a "struggle" to read (did you see what I did there?!) On top of the constant nagging of the show, we still have no "Nolan Outfit of the Episode" and now no poll. But thanks for the Mean Girls reference about Stevie, I actually laughed. I thought the episode was a good reset for the season. Patrick's out, Victoria's back to bitchy form, Emily's blackouts are over, Nolan gave Emily a new infinity box, Daniel wised up and finally had his wife followed (which he really should have done when she first started disappearing in Season 1), and Stevie is officially in the fold and is about to bring a whole new element to the show. Geez, even the Aiden and Jack 'shippers out there each got a moment. I mean, pretty much what everyone has wanted to happen just happened, and everyone's still complaining. I like to look forward to what the rest of the season has to bring. How will the photos Daniel has have an effect on the marriage, are they really going to get divorced now, and how will the effect Emily's plan? Does Stevie already know that Emily is really Amanda, or will Jack maybe tell her? What connection to David Clarke does Stevie have? Stevie has a lot of potential to shake things up quite a bit. With Victoria, Conrad, Emily, and Jack. It should be interesting to watch. What does Charlotte have on her phone that is "so shocking". Will it ruin Emily, probably not, but it should be fun to watch. The power of positive thinking, people! I just wish people would stop being so critical and enjoy an our of mindless entertainment, but I guess that's too much to ask.
More+
Flag
Staff
I've been really busy with choir.
Flag
Staff
Just kidding. Nolan's wardrobe and the poll will both return next week. Things have been busy, but don't worry, I haven't forgotten about Nolan's unparalleled taste in mens wear.
Flag
I watched about 15 minutes of the episode and then decided just to read this recap instead. I don't care about Emily's lost memories at all. Why is that important to the overall arc? Why do minor characters like Patrick need an own storyline? So far this season just felt too much like stalling.
Unless Emily starts revenging again I think I'll take break from the show. Until then I'll just read the recaps here and tune in again if it seems necessary.
Flag
So now what's going to happen on this catastrophe of a tv show ? Jack's formaldehyde faced, plastic surgery crazed alcoholic mother visited David Clark in prison ? For ?????
Flag
Oh Kaitlin, your review is hilarious! Definitely agree with you about Patrick. Justin Hartley is a legit actor, but they wasted his character so much. I feel like they never really let the audience get behind his character and understand him. His view points and so on seemed so random at times. Nolan is truly the most selfless character on this show and I really hope they start to show good things come his way. With respect to Daniel's P.I., he's actually 27/28 in real life. I know this because I've seen him in Magic City; which definitely in my opinion, cancelled way too soon. His acting in that show was really really good just fyi!
Flag
eh.. ehh.. A vague comment about a lawyer with gin breath and then... bingo!, she now know that Stevie visit her father in jail several years ago and that SHE KNOW SOMETHING!.. wth! xD... Well.. at least she didn't deduce that the gin breath lawyer killed JFK.. 'cause that for sure will be insane for revenge... not.. :P
Flag
Goodbye blackouts and Patrick! Trust me, you won't be missed. Of course Grayson manor will unfortunately always be Grayson Manor, so I doubt Victoria will be gone, if for long. It would be hysterical if Stevie got the house for Jack, but that's not who he is or anything, but I'd just love to see Victoria and Conrad's reaction lol Idk why I thought Daniel getting a PI on Emily was so stupid, maybe because it was? Oh well, whatever gets these two separated quicker idc anymore. I'll still watch, but the show really doesn't need to go beyond a fourth season honestly. Only so many years you can be on here without achieving revenge. Otherwise, it's just pathetic.
Flag
Exactly.
The next season should be the last season.
Flag
DeJa Vu all over again... Another mommy reluctantly abandons baby storyline. Oh well.
Now to the main point.
I loved the first season but the poor casting, or maybe writing, of new characters has been a constant since then. Hopefully they will get it right eventually.
The core characters still are of interest, although Daniel as some high powered business man strains credibility, as does Jack's love life.
I will hang in there with the series, mainly because of Emily, Nolan and Victoria.
Flag
This episode felt like a housekeeping one. Emily overcoming her blackouts, Daniel scheming, Patrick leaving, Stevie being mysterious.I'm simply not interested in Stevie though, because i feel like shes going to be another fringe character in the end, and add mostly nothing. We all know Victoria is somehow going to keep the house, and Stevie will be gone by the end of the season. This is just another distraction to prolong the show. You feel like they're running out of ideas. The finale is really going to have to help me restore faith in this season, because it started out so focused and now its just going everywhere like in S2.
Flag
I bet that before the end of the season the Graysons will have the mansion back and Stevie will leave the Hamptons for some stupid reason.
Flag
I'm really hoping that Stevie turns out to be as intriguing as she is right now because lord knows this show needs a jolt. I really hate that Emily and Daniel going head-to-head has been put on the backburner because that was one of he few interesting storylines this show still has.
Flag
Yawn...that was kind of my reaction. Listen, as recently as the first half of the season, the Monday and Tuesday following Revenge would consist of me sending emails to my sister with the subject heading, Read only after watching Revenge (because she and her husband are kind of annoying, they go to bed at like 9:30...this is my little sister, and we are at that weird point in our ages where that is significant again because she is in her early thirties and as of a month ago, I entered my, gulp, late thirties). But, I don't know if we have exchanged one email about it in weeks.
Flag
Kaitlin,I think it's struggle with her past and with her relationship with Aiden.
Flag
Almost fell asleep during the episode.
Flag
Last night's episode was refreshing! If we weren't already more than halfway through the second half of Season 3, I would want to say that it felt like the actual beginning of Season 3B's arc. This show had me worried for a while, but I actually feel hopeful that next week will include some actual "revenging", and that Ems is back on track, baby! They even made the whole "Jack I'm you mother" thing that I thought had to be a pure fiasco, pique my interest a little bit at the end there. Maybe Stevie Grayson will actually add to the revenge story, rather than detract from it like I originally thought. Also, Patrick is leaving! Maybe this will herald the return of the evil Vicky we know and love. Patrick's leaving will totally obliterate the softness we've seen from her over the past season. But, I do have to say, I was really touched by that scene between Victoria and Nolan who both came to an understanding over someone they both love. Let's not make that a thing, though, guys!

The one con of the episode: I suppose with that kiss Aiden and Ems are back together? Meh. I was kinda hoping with Patrick leaving, Aiden would also be gone for good, and that Revenge was pruning its cast that - let's face it - don't really add to the storyline all that much.

More+
Flag
I still feel the writers spend far too much screen time on trying to please "ships", I am looking at you Jemily & Aimily shippers. Writers please see Kaitlin's article on fixing the show! The Aiden water boarding scene felt like semi closure, thank God, since it seemed at throw back to the ep we met him. Remember Emily under water to remember her mother.. The Jack /Stevie SL, hasn't Jack yet learned his lesson to double check everything females tell him? Emily seems to doubt this development, so let's see where this goes. The only ones with an executed plan this ep were Nolan/Victoria, sending Patrick packing. I am all for more pruning of the cast, Charlotte seems completely lost and could be shipped off to college for example. And please, after almost two years there has yet to be a scene Nolan/Conrad, which could be highly entertaining. Give Noland and Conrad something to do and stop catering to shippers!
Flag
Good point about "ships" and Nolan & Conrad,it's weird they had no scene together,shame really...
Flag
Tonight's episode was refreshing. It felt like a proper reset, especially at the end when Nolan gave Emily the new and improved double infinity box. While I didn't really feel the justification behind Emily's blackouts, I'm just glad that they're over. I'm really bummed about Patrick, because the character seemed so mishandled given his potential with Nolan and also illuminating Victoria's better qualities. Hopefully Justin Hartley will return, and Patrick's character will make more sense.
Flag
Good Parts
Nola's white suit with the mosaic shirt
One last shirtless Patrick before he left hopefully for good
Baby Emily
Daniel hopefully finding out the truth and then dying
Blackouts gone
The Sweet New infinity box
Emily back on track

Bad Parts
Nolan and Vicky teaming up
Aidan sticking around
Steve Grayson (unless she becomes an ally)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members