Revenge Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

?! Preg 'Amanda' to Charlotte"A Journal her Father Kept in Prison. I marked

danpianoman

[1]Oct 23, 2012
    • level: 1

Please help clarify this confusion from Season 2 Episode 3: 'Confidence'

[Preg Amanda to Charlotte:] "A Journal her Father Kept in Prison. I marked the entries ...

This line has gotten me quite confused after initial shock and things not adding up. It seemed to imply upon viewing the scene happening around 29 minutes in, that Pregnant 'Amanda' had at this point already previously revealed 'Emily's' true identity to Charlotte, which would be a huge plot point --- but it wasn't given the kind of attention one would think such a huge revelation deserves, with regards to any dramatic background music, timing, camera use, and finally even a review of events in the subsequent episode. I watched it a few times and it still nags me. Preg Amanda really says those words. Was this a blooper?!

The only explanation I can give for why this isn't any dramatic secret revelation is that Preg 'Amanda' previously said "Your sister has her ways" in response to Charlotte asking how she got up there. The use of the 3rd person might have carried over to "a journal her father kept in prison" ... but it's still not sitting with me right because Preg 'Amanda' uses proper pronouns for a while before and after the shocking quotation being presented in this thread. It would be strange to humorously use the 3rd person to refer to oneself (normal), subsequently use proper pronouns a few times (normal), and then non humorously very seriously use the 3rd person to refer to oneself (contextually confusing), only to summarily return to proper pronoun use thereafter without a flinch.

Can anyone who thinks this through offer your thoughts? What happened in that scene?!

Help understanding this perhaps trivial if not pivotal scene is appreciated.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mfontana

[2]Oct 26, 2012
    • level: 3

She said "A journal OUR father kept.."

She has a weird way of talking because she's russian so some of her words kind of sound a little off sometimes, but she said 'our'.

loldude1

[3]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 10
    mfontana wrote:

She said "A journal OUR father kept.."

She has a weird way of talking because she's russian so some of her words kind of sound a little off sometimes, but she said 'our'.

The actress is from Russia,but the character said last year she'd never been out of the States.The accent adds up to miscasting.

mfontana

[4]Oct 28, 2012

Well maybe she hasn't been out of the states in a long time or something, but she was born in Russia..so she's definitely been out of the states at some point.

danpianoman

[5]Oct 29, 2012
    • level: 1

I wish I could believe your explanation, but I keep listening to it and there is a clear 'h' sound before 'her'. Does a Russian accented 'our' sound exactly like a well pronounced English 'Her'? This doesn't add up because the actress seems to pronounce words so well and I've never mistook any words she's said before. I also have Russian friends and have never witnessed this. Please be sure to listen to the scene and confirm you are certain she is saying 'our'. She does say 'her' other times in the scene and it sounds the same to me. I am sure if I hunt for the word 'our' in other scenes it will sound different. What do you think?!?

Edited on 10/29/2012 11:53am

mfontana

[6]Oct 30, 2012

Yeah I did go back and listen to it and it really does sound like 'her' but I do think it's 'our'. She says words weirdly and then other times they sound normal but I've noticed that when she's talking in a quieter tone she sounds more off than when she's talking normally. It's like she doesn't open her mouth wide enough to pronounce the words right or something. I don't know what it is but she's saying 'our', there's no reason for her to say 'her'. Hope this helps!