Revenge

Pilot

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 21, 2011 on ABC

• I absolutely live for mystery and drama shows with great webs of detail. I am pleased to say I was captivated by this show!

Gotta love shows about pure and simple revenge... As a child, Amanda Clarke moved with her single father, David, to a beach house in Southampton, NY. He tells her that he loves her double infinity, and hours later, FBI agent bust in and arrest him for treason. She is taken away screaming while he screams this is a mistake. David Clarke was framed by a group of colleagues and close friends. His boss, Conrad Grayson alleged that David supplied money to terrorists that were responsible for a plane crash that killed 246 Americans. Who really did it??? I can't wait to find out.16 years later, Amanda is 24... But Amanda Clarke doesn't exist anymore. She is now Emily Thorne and she has sworn revenge on all those responsible for ruining her life and the life of her now deceased father... She rents that same house for the summer, where her neighbors are the Graysons. I love the way they wrap up all the details... This is definitely one of those shows that, after the season is over, you can start over and catch all those little things you hadn't caught before all the secrets were revealed...The first person that she goes after is Lydia Davis, David's secretary who testified against him, and also the owner of the house she is renting, who is going through a messy divorce. Michael Davis is supposedly having an affair with someone half Lydia's age... My money is on the girlfriend somehow being Emily... But, Lydia is seeing someone else too... Conrad Grayson. Thorough planning and scheming results in Emily exposing the relationship to Victoria in a very public way, while still maintaining her secret identity... Wasn't it fun to watch how Victoria said so long to her closest friend... She publicly humiliates her without actually bringing any bad attention to herself in the process... except from Conrad, who knows exactly what Victoria is doing...
    The show actually starts present day, at an engagement party for Emily and Victoria's golden boy son, Daniel, where he gets shot and killed on the beach yards away from the celebration. But it backtracks to five months earlier when Emily arrives in town. Through a series of flashbacks, we see into her memories of her time in Southampton as a child. They had a puppy, Sammy, that she was playing with when she met a young boy, Jack (who was standing over Daniel's dead body, though I, for one, don't believe he actually pulled the trigger, being more of a humanitarian himself) and they became instant friends. Walking down the street (five months ago) she recognizes Jack and her old dog, Sammy, who has grown also. Sam recognizes her too... Jack tries to introduce himself and get her name, but she rushes off without telling him. As she gets in her car, it looks like realization, or at least an inkling spreads across his face... He still clearly cares for Amanda, since that is what he named his boat.
    There is someone in town who knows who she really is... After spending who knows how long in a juvenile detention facility for who knows what she did, Amanda was released on her 18th birthday. Nolan Ross pulls up outside. He was a friend of her father's and came to tell her that (1) he's dead... sorry, (2) he was innocent, and (3) he left a box, engraved with the double infinity symbol, for her. Inside is a letter telling her he didn't do what he was accused of, journals, photographs from her childhood and a key to a lock box in Zurich. Nolan also tells her that her father was the only one who believed in his company and invested in it. So now, since David's death, she is a 49% owner... That means a lot of money... A LOT!! 6 years later, when she makes her way to the Hamptons, it doesn't take Nolan long to figure out who she is. When he does, he offers to help her, but she declines. He's a quirky little thing isn't he? Odd to say the least, but I think he will be a good ally to her.
    I like Charlotte Grayson. But, she is slumming with Declan and her mom will not approve. And Declan? LOVE HIM... He is outspoken and pretty real. A far cry from his gay Upper East Side character on Gossip Girl (which I love =D)
    Predictions?????? Hmm, I really want Emily to be the girlfriend of Michael Davis, but who knows... She sure did a lot of planning for this and we have a long fall/winter season to watch how it unfolds... Could Daniel maybe be sick? he mentions being really tired after reaching the Hamptons and wants to lie down... But then again, he could just have been tired. He has a rocky past though with drinking.
    But the thing that really gets me... the affair that Victoria had with David... he had a watch that was engraved from her: 'David "until forever" Victoria'... When she makes the phone call to David the night he was arrested it almost made it seem as though she was calling to warn him. But she and her husband were standing on the porch. maybe the police had her call to make sure he was home... too soon? maybe... Either way, in the ending scene, Victoria can tell that something is up with Emily and calls some unknown man to dig up all the dirt on her... She is not going to go down easy... Fun.