A Revolution Community
NBC (ended 2014)

Revolution S02E11: "Mis Dos Padres"

The most impressive thing about the world of Revolution isn't that there is a cloud of micro-nanites that are coagulating into an ethereal, omnipresent artificial intelligence that can set dudes on fire or create hallucinations of schoolchildren that give cryptic directions to abandoned towns so people can reunite with their ex-wives, it's that nothing can keep our core group of Revolutionaries locked up. As fast as these lucky bastards can get captured, they can also break their chains. And there must have been something to "Mis Dos Padres" to make that fact really stick out, because my friend Les from the popular Internet Web site AVClub also noticed the same thing in his review of the episode. In fact, he did some digging and estimated that roughly 60 percent of Revolution's episodes involve some sort of capture-and-rescue plot (the other 40 percent must be some variation of "my mommy/daddy/Miles doesn't love me" story). Given Revolution's knack for repetition, this is hardly surprising.

And why does this come up now? Well maybe it's because in "Mis Dos Padres" (which did not have a Mexican Paul Reiser impersonator), Monroe got captured, Miles got captured, Granddaddy Gene got captured, Charlie got captured, and Jason got taken into custody, which we'll call being captured. And only one of those nabbings happened together (Charlie and Gene). These people wear more handcuffs than a dominatrix, yet don't even have enough time to notch their first hashmark on a cell wall before they're sprung. And without thinking hard about it, I can instantly recall that Charlie, Monroe, Miles, and Gene have already been captured by someone this season. Revolution, it's time for an intervention. We need a moratorium on captivity, because it only leads to the bad habit of improbable escapes and weakens the very notion of imprisonment. Quit it with the captures. It's an insult to anyone who has been taken captive. Do it for Dick Cheney.

Revolution has also put itself in a situation where the action is spread out wayyyyyy too far and wide. There were four stories going on in "Mis Dos Padres": Charlie and Gene investigating a Patriot camp, Miles, Monroe, and Rachel in Mexico, Tom, Julia, and Jason infiltrating the Patriots in Washington, D.C., and Aaron in Spring City following the advice of a hallucination. There's a plan down the line I'm sure, but it felt like we were changing channels and everything on just happened to be taking place in a post-apocalyptic world, and splitting these people just to go on their own little time-wasting adventures takes away from any good character interaction they could have (not that the show is good at that, either). There's no glue to the story, which made it a chore to get through the episode and also diminished each individual story to whatever it could get through in the short amount of time it was allotted.

And the episode didn't even do a good job with the time it had. The whole ordeal with Gene rushing into the Patriot camp to save his friend was just a way to introduce a new plot about a typhus outbreak. Sorry Gene's friend, you died as you lived: as a plot device. Also, outbreak? Boo. The "borrowing" from The Walking Dead continues. Over in Washington D.C., we sat through Tom and Julia figuring out what to do about Julia's fake husband just so Jason could learn about a new plan to build more reprogramming camps and then break into an office. I'm still unsure why this entire plot matters or why I should be interested. In Mexico, Monroe got whipped and there was one hell of a fiesta, but the end result was that everyone escaped with Connor, Monroe's son, which could have easily have happened in last week's episode. If this is it for the Mexico storyline, it's a waste of Nunez and his non-stop fiesta fortress, which was one of the more interesting settings of the show (and finally made good on that promise of Mexico being affluent). And Aaron made it to Spring City to find his ex-wife was also trippin' on fireflies and that the nanites were coming together to be some sort of God that thinks Aaron is its dad. Ugh, I thought and hoped we'd seen the last of Priscilla. And about that whole omnipresent entity that is helping out, Person of Interest runs with that idea a whole lot better. That seems like a lot to happen, but that's about one scene's worth of stuff for each story stretched out over an entire hour. 

So now we're just past the halfway mark of the season and the show has gone far enough off course that I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking forward to as terrible stories are thrown in to fill out the required 22 episodes of the season. The Patriots are friends with Gene and Charlie again? Jason is probably headed back to a reprogramming camp? Aaron is back together with his ex-wife? Revolution is a very fitting title for this show, because all it's doing is going round and round. And what the heck happened to those oranges from last week?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2014

Season 2 : Episode 22

56 Comments
Comments (56)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
⩓ what the heck happened to those oranges from last week?

I just watched this episode so everyone probably is ahead of me, but I thought it was clear when Jason said that they're going to start to killing people. Remember the injection of the oranges last week? My guess is that the oranges were the source of infection.

Tim touched on the idea last review about the notion of kids being destined to be like their biological parents. I was disappointed he didn't reflect on this with this week's announcement that Aaron and his (ex?) wife are the parents so to speak of the nanite intelligence. Are the nanites going to strive to be like them?

Instead of complaining that things are so spread out, I see it as all the plots are going to intertwine and bring everyone together. Miles wanting to build an army to go after the Patriots, Tom wanting to become the new President, Aaron and the nanites possibly forming a third front, Jason opposing his dad (again), everyone else caught in the middle. It's taking its sweet time coming together, but I think (hope) it'll be worth it.
Flag
The lone 2 second shining star of this episode..."This poker face IS my face". I wonder if Giancarlo Esposito wakes up at night in a cold sweat wondering how in the world he got tied into this train wreck of a series.

The number of stupid character decisions made, wild speculatioin that of course turns out to be true and the disbelief suspension level is off the charts. It really is "borrowing" from The Walking Dead, but it's cranked things up to 11.

I lost count of the number of, "Wait...whaaat?" moments this episode, but when a freshly whipped Monroe started whippin' ass and talking trash, I could only laugh and shake my head.

Sometimes the absurdity of this show is fun and sometimes it's a chore...there was more of the latter in this episode.
Flag
Please, for the love of GOD, get someone else to review not only this show; but this genre. Surette, hates these sorts of shows so why let him review them? There's no fart jokes, no drunken men leering around at a hooters bar - he's utterly lost, and can only dish out the hate because of it. So, put him and us, out of his misery and have him review family guy or beavis and butthead - that's his comfort zone.
Flag
Well my major thought was wow Charlie just has to be Miles' daughter and I think Monroe thinks that too. And then I was humoring myself with how the introduction of Charlie and Connor will go.
Flag
I actually thought this episode was quite entertaining and fun to watch. Tim, your review was funny as well - I did read your frustration between the lines, though - and the capture-escape-thing is getting hilarious. Still, Miles and Monroe are Revolution's pendant to a Western's "Most wanted" and the overall Mexican style of the two last episodes, including Spanish titles, was fitting their adventures in the wild west. I just don't take it (so) seriously anymore, this way it is much more delightful!

I like the Sebastian-and-Connor-interaction, even if it was predictable. I am sorta fond of this "my enemy is becoming my friend"-story line, it comforts my need for harmony... :)

I am just kind of bored with Sebastian's misguided sense of omnipotence: Seriously? Getting back the Monroe-Republic? Where the hell did that come from? I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, given his former power driven character, but I believed he has moved on and learned his lesson. Yeah, well, obviously not and I might forgive him, cause he is easy on the eye (likewise his pretty handsome son - very good cast, I agree), so I am pleased to have them around a little bit longer.

The nannites, gathering their forces (and Aaron and Priscilla) in Spring City, was an interesting twist of the story. I am excited how Revolution will work this out - hopefully in a way not too ridiculous as the show tends to screw up its own story lines.

I couldn't care less about Charlie (still I think she has so much improved compared to the whiny girl from the first season) and her grandpa digging around in poisoned oranges, and about Tom and What's-her-name, besides I find myself being somewhat appalled by her perfectly horrible face.
More+
Flag
I had to check the cast to see if Mat Vairo (Connor) was actually related to David Lyons (Bas) because I felt they looked so similar that Mat could actually be David's kid. Great casting IMO.
Flag
"wouldn't you do the same for Charlie?" was that a confirmation that Charlie is Miles daughter?
Flag
when the show first introduced priscilla, i thought, she was a "pretty" girl for aaron. now she was on the team that helped google billionaire aaron create the formula. there couldve been a easier way to back.
Flag
The oranges contained typhus.
Flag
Who thought that Monroe's son'd be a Dan Humphrey inpersonator????
Nanites're a religion as of NOW!!!!
Revolution you nasty tv show, what're you doing with us.....

Flag
I think the problem with the show its gone back to same old routine storyline in the first season, This season started off well the heroes and heroines were under threat now I am getting bored with the capturing and the sterotypical mexican village , jason daddy issues again, arron clueless again and grandpa gene turned into rambo. The show is silly at times but if it carry on like this it wll end up like the Dome!!!!!! ARRGHHHHHH!
Flag
You know, i loved the first season. The story line was very clear. The lights went off and you had this medailions which created light. There were a bunch of it and they had to find them and get to the tower to turn the light on again...that would you think in a series where there no electricity...
Then things went wrong at the tower...and that was the mistake of the series i think...
Now the series is all over the place...with a lot of drama storylines...
i mean come on...supernatural Aaron and now his wife too. The like the Matrix orso...it's everywhere the nano thingies...stupid story line...
The whole Monroe finding his son, was annoying...as i rather see Monroe as the bad guy, which he played in season 1..fantasticely.
This episode he looked so weak. Of course he has a plan to become the Monroe he was again, but now he has help from his son..
Tyfus?? Really??? What has that to do with the whole point of the series...
The light must go on, so everybody will try to contain it or control it, then you will get a nice storyline...seeing that everybody is trying to live like normal people again...
More+
Flag
Typhus might be part of the Patriot plot Jason found to wipe people out.
Flag
That is indeed a option...still Typhus??? Really??
Flag
lol...........there's just no pleasing some people!:)
Flag
They're not happy unless it's bubonic plague.
Flag
The episode was not fantastic, but I read the review first and honestly it makes the episode sound much worse than it is. Beside the "capture and escape" issue we also had story lines involving Nerville + wife, Aaron + Grace, Charlie + grandpa. I'll be tuning in for the next episode.
Flag
My DVR didn't record the last five minutes of the show--evidentially I'm offending its sensibilities by recording this show. It stopped recording when Charlie and Gene entered the tent in the Patriots camp. Did I miss anything?
Flag
They go in, see sick people on drips then leave. Gene says its Typhus and the Patriot guy confirms that 3 days before they had one case, now they have four. Gene guesses that it is now a quarantine camp and the Patriot tells him that despite differences they have one thing in common, if they work together, which is to save the camp. If you don't get the 'oranges' from last week and agree with Tim's review, then I think that the 5min you missed won't make much difference to your outlook. Hope this was helpful.
Flag
I guessed the oranges were to pass some sort of disease along, so yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!
Flag
There's a lot of directions this show has gone in. It had character potential, real sci-fi potential, post-apocalyptic (kinda, given the state of things) rebuilding story. What we've wound up with is a pseudo-action show. Non-bloody sword fighting and Tinker Bell lights that almost have a storyline that could be interesting.

We've got a village storyline set in North America. The scale of everything feels off.

I'm glad Charlie isn't terribly annoying anymore. I'm confused at how we're supposed to be ok with Monroe's status, even though he's written better now.

The show needs to do more, but not flash-bang-wow more, just more story.
Flag
Over all this show is great and the main characters of Miles Bas and Charlie have developed into the perfect versions of them selfs, Rachel still needs work for me I don't like her character never really did and Neville and his wife need to die in a ball of firefly fire, any way I think sometimes this show needs to put more meat on its stories they are most of the time have done.
Flag
Another session of people rescuing people, Rachel with the poker face and Aaron with the scared face. The revamped the style but the story is back to boring, dragging around the couple interesting plot pieces forever and never moving forward. Yikes.
Flag
I agree with everythign in the review, and I honsetly have no clue why do I keep watching this. But I do. Yes, the plotlines are very bad (almost every one of them), and yes, we are going in circles, but I just can't get off the merry-go-round. Everyone, who suffered through the first season can agree that this one is much better. For me everything changed in this season. I was very annoyed with Charlie, now I actually like her. I hated Monroe, now he is my favorite and funniest character (I hope they won't give him any real power again, because I think that would ruin him). With the whole A.I. thing it actually became a sci-fi series. Basically what I'm saying is that I just keep hoping it will get better. Maybe in the next season it will be a great show. There are much less stupid and illogical things now, and that is a big plus for me.
Flag
I agree that if they give Bas his power back it will ruin what character development this season has done for him, and I love Charlie's character now she gets things done fights and kills when needed but still has her "humanity" despite gramps giving her that holy crap who are you look
Flag
I know, what is it about this show that makes me watch it, and then hate myself for watching it afterward? The problem is the actors are good; Billy Burke, Elizabeth Mitchell and David Lyons do some great evening out of some terrible, whackado plotlines. It's just enough believability to bring you back. Maybe that's not a good thing.
Flag
Yeah, I'm a huge EM fan since Lost. I even tried to watch "V" for her sake, but that was a show I could not keep down :D
But it's not just her and the acting, the characters in general make much more sense this season. Maybe the reason the plot is so terrible is because the new showrunner had to tidy up the charters first. So maybe now he can start to focus on the bigger picture. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Flag
I thought the episode was really good. Revolution is growing on me more and more.

Anyway, as to the lack of glue in the episode, I think there is a connecting thread between: the oranges, the Typhus outbreak, Tom, Julia, Jason and Gene and Charlie. In last week's episode we saw the delivery of the oranges to what I believe is the same camp as the Typhus outbreak (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Later in the episode we saw some guys injecting the oranges with a substance before unveiling and distributing them. In this episode, suddenly, there is a Typhus outbreak and just before Jason got taken into custody he was desperately trying to tell Tom, who did'nt listen, that he also found evidence of plans to wipe people out. So, if I've made the right connection, the oranges were injected with Typhus hence the outbreak, Jason has discovered this and Gene saving his friend allows for him to be used to validate a bogus treatment program. We'll probably see Monroe rise again to be the only viable threat to the Patriots and the Nanites intervene in their new role as 'God Almighty.' If this is the case then I'm looking forward to see what unfolds.
More+
Flag
I think you're right on the money. This is what I was thinking the entire time I was reading the article. I don't understand how this isn't obvious to other people.
Flag
Me three! (Yes I'm a few episodes behind). The New Monroe Republic vs. The Patriots with the Nanites as an unpredictable 3rd faction and our main heroes caught in the middle with conflicting loyalties. And Rachel may find some way to accidentally make things even worse for humanity. :-)

I guess we're not counting the prison escapes which gives us time to focus on the bigger picture and see how they're planning to (slowly) draw all of these disparate plots together. There's also the meta plot of nature vs. nurture. Will we see the children become their parents (Charlie, Connor, Jason, Nanites) or rebel against them?
Flag
You and me both kiddo!:) Seriously though, when I was watching last week's episode, my attention wavered around the oranges segment. I rewound it to find that I had missed that very crucial and very fleeting injection scene. If memory serves, all we saw was one guy injecting them and another walking in. The scene was'nt explained in any way. So, if like me people were'nt paying attention, that one crucial connecting scene was easily missed.
Flag
It was good I liked it
Flag
Tim Surette I just want to say that you just made my day with the title of this post, I am mexican even though the title of the episode is in spanish I was not expecting this, thank you very much this just made me laugh a lot btw your reviews rock I'm a big fan of your articles...
Flag
The episode was not that bad, it was just predictable. Miles having to save Monroe and Rachel having to save the both of them and Connor having to make a choice. The only interesting arc is that Aaron finally made it to Spring Hill to find his long lost wife. Why have the nanites brought them together?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Carmichael Show President Trump
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm
    American Ninja Warrior
    NEW
    NBC