We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Revolution Community
NBC (ended 2014)

Revolution S02E04: "Patriot Games"

For a show called Revolution, Season 1 was less revolutionary than it was revolting. What exactly was this revolution? Because it certainly didn't fit the small band of people fighting the scattered and disorganized Monroe Militia. Was the so-called revolution a fight against the tyranny of electricity? Was it a war against our conception of what post-apocalyptic hair would look like? Or did "revolution" just sound cool as a show title and fit right in because the second "O" in the word created a perfect opportunity to create a logo with the universal symbol for the power on/off button? And let's not forget that if you drop the "R," you get "evolution," which is another cool-sounding word. The title Revolution was everything the show needed, except for one small thing: It didn't make a whole lot of sense with regard to the show itself.

"Patriot Games" finally made good on Revolution's title by preparing the show's world for an actual revolution, and while it was at it,  the episode figured it would take care of the "evolution" part, too. It's getting increasingly more difficult to make fun of this show as it continues to scrub my brain of Season 1 by being better-than-good in Season 2. I mean, people spontaneously combusted in this episode and I didn't groan! Instead, it was totally cool. Though "Patriot Games" may not have been as eventful as the previous episodes, it served as a great act break and continued the series' unbelievable upward swing. Seriously, if I hadn't seen all four episodes of this season I'd think I was crazy, too. 

The addition of the mysterious Patriots has provided the show with the scary enemy that the Monroe Militia never could be. Monroe's army was a pathetic clown club of idiots who couldn't shoot, and it was helmed by a guy who always looked like he was about to cry. These Patriots are the real evil deal; they've been infiltrating Everytown, U.S.A. with sleeper agents for at least seven years while the leaders hunkered down in Cuba, and they fly the American flag as propaganda for their nefarious true motivations. You can't punch someone when they're draped in the American flag, Uncle Sam would have a heart attack! And old Stars & Stripes is a very effective symbol in this battle for power. People tend to blindly follow someone who is waving Old Glory, because who would ever abuse its majesty? Ummm... EVERYONE, if given the chance.

It's impossible not to see the connection between these Patriots and the parties involved America's current political mess our country is currently in, with both sides of the real-life Congressional aisle rebutting debates with larger flags and increasingly bigger symbols of patriotism instead of collaborating, using common sense, or exhibiting any real desire to make the country a better place. I would not be surprised if Allerford descended on Willoughby in a giant, steam-powered bald eagle robot next episode as an appropriate allegory to the way both Democrats and Republicans throw around the word "freedom." And I'm totally on board with the Patriots' "We have this flag, we're the good guys!" hoopla; it's resulting in the perfect enemy to be toppled as catharsis for all of us who are sick of the present state of the bickering United States government. We'll all get misty when Miles shoves a REAL American flag down the impostor government leader's throat and screams, "Pledge allegiance to my ass!" as the people rise up and retake control. This is the type of revolution I can get behind. 

Getting on to what actually happened in "Patriot Games," which admittedly was mostly a reinforcement of what we already knew, Rachel took the spotlight as she awoke a few days after getting shot by an arrow in the Battle for Willoughby last week. The Patriots firmly planted their feet in town, establishing a sorta Halloween celebration that was good for the kids and even better for keeping its citizens from prying around the Patriots' true intentions. But not Rachel! Rachel is—as her dad told us and her in a splendidly stern talking-to—a Nosy Nancy with nothing better to do than question everything at all costs. To paraphrase: Chill out and stop getting shot with things, Rachel! But of course her crazy hunches were right, and she snooped around Patriot bigwig Ed Truman's house because that's what Rachel does. The giveaway was more of that Illuminati-style symbolism on every secret document the Patriots pass around, which doesn't sound like the best way to keep something secret, but does make it a lot easier for viewers to recognize an evil thing when they see one, so let's call it a wash. 

Concerned about Rachel, Butcher Ken invited her over for a round of wine-chugging and secret-spilling, and it only took a few Merlots for Rachel to tell Ken all about her involvement in vaporizing the East Coast with nukes. Soused up and thirsting for more, Rachel followed Ken down to the wine cellar to grab another bottle, which is a television no-no. Note to everyone: If someone invites you down to the wine cellar in their basement, PASS. "Wine cellar" is just another name for "murder chamber." It took Rachel slightly longer to figure that out, but after seeing one of those Patriot symbols (sloppy, Ken, real sloppy), she got wise to Ken's betrayal. Ken was a Patriot all along, and that bummed me out because he and Rachel had a good thing going. They watched Spaceballs A THOUSAND times together! A little scuffle later, Rachel the blabbermouth was chained up and Ken was digging a grave for her because Patriot secrets needed to stay Patriot secrets. But Rachel squeezed out of her chains because binds mean nothing on this show and then she butchered the butcher. I would have been overjoyed if she'd stabbed him and said, "May the Schwartz be with you," but her silent slicing sufficed. Finally, a murder by Rachel that wasn't completely insane! 

Every other story was patched together pretty quickly. Over in Savannah, Tom Neville was having problems with authority, but lucky and super conveniently for him, his boss was a heroin junkie who liked to shoot up in the peace and quiet of whorehouses. So Tom caught him mid-stupor and made a deal with him: Promote Tom and tell Tom where Jason is, or everyone finds out about his drug use. Bossman didn't know where Jason was, but he promised Tom a promotion, but sorry, that wasn't the answer Tom was looking for so Tom shot him up with double dose of smack as a permanent lullaby. Cold, Tom! And in the next scene, Tom was taking over for his boss because his boss never showed up for work, and Allerford approved. That's how you climb the Patriot chain of command (provided your boss has a debilitating addiction to drugs)!

Charlie and Monroe continued their trajectory toward friendship. Charlie, probably bummed that her sexy bounty hunter friend was still knocked out cold on the road somewhere, was drinking her sorrows away and eating in a very unladylike fashion at a dive. And you know what happens to hot women wearing tight pants like Charlie's in a crusty old bar like that: roofies! The locals were looking to grab a slice of Charlie pie, but she fought back until the drugs kicked in. And who should come to her rescue but The Cape Monroe! And that's TV Writing 101 on how to redeem a bad guy and get two characters to come to an understanding. Except it didn't go that smoothly, and I appreciated the way Charlie still thought Monroe was a dick even after he saved her from a gang rape. 

One of the most difficult tasks Revolution faces in Season 2 is to bring Monroe into the fold, so in the next scene a pouting Charlie was in a carriage with Monroe, rolling toward Willoughby. This wasn't the most engaging story because we all knew what the writers were trying to do, yet they still had to go through the process to make it seem believable. At least it was much better than last season, which would have had Charlie say something stupid like, "I didn't trust you before, but you saved me. You're a changed man, I can see that in you." And then she would've kissed him on the cheek and they would've exchanged friendship bracelets. What's happening here, the time-consuming predictable push-and-pull, is much better. 

Finally, Miles broke the Patriot rule of "don't leave the Willoughby town gates in order to see whether the threat from Titus's war clan is still a real thing." Nope! But Miles did run into Titus and stabbed him, making for another Revolution baddie gone before his time. That's too bad, because I liked Titus and his sinister headmaster attitude. Before he died, Titus told Miles that the Patriots had rounded up all his people and were holding them captive at a train yard—and sure enough, they were. I know I just made a bunch of comparisons regarding the Patriots, but here, they were reading from the handbook of Nazi takeovers. The Patriots rounded up remaining war clan members and stuck 'em in train cars, where they were systematically killed and then choo-chooed into town as trophies, to further fake the Patriots' importance to the Willoughby citizens.

And that's when this episode got weird. Miles was caught spying by some Pats, and Aaron saw all of this through the eyes of a firefly swarm. Wait, what!?!?! Yup, Aaron, Lord of the Fireflies, can turn on Firefly Cam while he's asleep and possibly control their actions. But that wasn't even the weirdest part. The two Patriots who had Miles dead to rights were suddenly engulfed in flame like Michael Jackson in a Pepsi commercial, and it's obviously because Aaron made it happen. So there you go, Revolution is going full-on supernatural/paranormal now by giving Aaron the power of firefly sight and pyrokinesis, and so far... I'm surprisingly into it! This series has nothing to lose, so I say go for it. I still suspect Aaron's power isn't the last one we'll see from our gang, and all of them being in the Tower during its meltdown had something to do with it all. This is crazy stuff to introduce at a time like this, and it may put some people off, but I'd be more skeptical if the show wasn't in Eric Kripke's hands. 

The insta-inferno of Miles' captors made for a great breakfast-time story the next morning, but we're still several episodes away from seeing whether it will actually work or not. Instead, it's Revolution's new universe that's propelling the season. This darker, grimier world seems much more believable than whatever we were dealing with last season, and bringing in the Patriots to occupy it was one of the best decisions the show could've made. While putting the fire in fireflies will grab the headlines, it was something else Miles said that really drove home the Patriots' role in the series' improvement: "This is an occupation. Every good occupation deserves a resistance." And every good occupation makes for a good Revolution.

POWER LINES

– Another thing Revolution has done to radically transform itself is completely change its tone and presentation. The Stepford quality of the town that Rachel woke up to, complete with the scary trick-or-treater shown above, elevates the show's quality—or at least its impression of quality. 

– Charlie got punched in the face again! Even though Charlie is much improved this season, it's always worthy of a celebration with she gets punched in the face. Yay!

– Life tip to all heroin-via-injection users: Don't roll down your sleeves. 

– Someone on Twitter told me that the broadcast version of Episode 2 was missing a scene I mentioned in my review, which was based on an advanced screener. In the version I saw, there was a flashback to what happened after the Tower blew up, involving our heroes outside on the ground waking up from unconsciousness. NBC did not send out a note that the broadcast version would be different, so I'm sorry about the mix-up. However, it wasn't that big of a scene, and I suspect we'll all see it eventually, as more of the flashbacks are rolled out. 

– It's so nice not to care about the power, isn't it?

Revolution continues to improve, but viewers don't seem to care. Without The Voice as a lead-in, the show hit another series low in the ratings last night, with 5.4 million viewers and a 1.4 rating in the adult demo. That's down from last week's then-series-low of 1.5.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2014

Season 2 : Episode 22

151 Comments
Comments (151)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Eh. It was an OK episode. I didn't like the ham-handed exposition about Rachel always sticking her nose in things. It was mentioned, like, three times in a 45-minute episode.

Show, don't tell, writers. That's pretty basic.
Flag
I think its time I pull the brakes on this show. Been waiting for it to go from zero to sixty in two seconds but its taking forever. I have stuck with it far enough. This is the last episode for me. Adios revolution, I ain't gonna miss you.
Flag
Excellent episode and WTF scene with Aaron burning the patriots to save Miles.
Flag
This show is getting interesting and what is going on with the fireflies not to mention Aaron. I'm really liking Charlie this season and this episode showed how much she learnt from miles last season, I don't think she ever would have been able to break a mans arm twice her size and while being drugged, she's growing up. I'm not sure how I like this redemption story for Bas I love his character but still you can't really fully trust him. Loved this episode.
Flag
This ain't no Jericho, so I don't think I'll be sending any nuts if its canceled.
Flag
While Neville was entering the whorehouse, a gramophone was playing A Whiter Shade of Pale. Do gramophones work without electricity?
Flag
Yes, they will.
Flag
Im still kind of looking at this show as a Rev 2.0, I m not sure how i`d rank this in season 2, it was ok, but I`d rank it above all of season 1 :)
Flag
"I mean, people spontaneously combusted in this episode and I didn't groan! Instead, it was totally cool. Revolution is going full-on supernatural/paranormal now by giving Aaron the power of firefly sight and pyrokinesis, and so far... I'm surprisingly into it!"

I hate to say it, but I think that says more about you than it does this show.

I've asked the general question before, how long is "well, it's better than season 1" a qualifier for what this show does now? I give any new show I might be interetest in a 5 episode trial, so that means the next episode will be the last time Revolutions can use that crutch...at least for me anyway.

And if this episode is any indication, I can get used to this show being ridiculous again. To recap:

- Aaron had a seizure for no apparent reason and got his Firefly vision on
- I won't ask what the fireflies were doing following Miles in the first place. Maybe they're like Lassie and knew that Timmy was going to get stuck in a well.
- I don't know if it was bad CG or I otherwise didn't get it, but our two flambe victims, did I see ants gathering around their feet before they burst into flame? While a fire ant joke would be funny, it doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I didn't stop at groaning but continued into a facepalm headshake
- It's too bad this world doesn't have power because somebody really should have sat Ken down to watch 'The Incredibles' and take to heart the lesson that VILLAINS SHOULDN'T MONOLOGUE!!! Idiot! So, Rachel was out cold and he went through the trouble of "cuffing" her to the ceiling of the murder room. For what purpose, so he could confess his love and tell her the entire Patriots' plan before shiving her? Like many Monroe soldiers before him, dude deserved to die for not killing Rachel while she was out.

I like me some Kripke. But this reeks of "stick to what you know" and seems more 'Boogeyman' than 'Supernatural. Come in and fix this show, that's great...but completely changing the rules and turning post apocalyptic into some paranormal universe? Really? Makes Kripke look like he can't do anything else. And based on the new poster for the show, this firefly business is only going to get worst

"A new power lights the way", huh? Oh god!
More+
Flag
I like the new direction there going on and when those guy burst into flames I was like YESSSSS! While going wat the heck
Flag
I thought I was the only one that didn't like this episode, but it seems someone else didn't either. I was so put-off by the crappy dialog that I was listening to the radio while I finished the episode. How long did they have to work to come up with the Charlie in danger cause she decided she was so tough that she can go into a bar to get some eats and then SURPRISE!, she is gonna be drugged and raped. I was hoping that the show would let it happen just so she would quit being so cocky, but deep down I knew they would have her sorta-kinda white knight Monroe save her instead. Then next we have good old Miles & Rachel both going off on their own and SURPISE!, both of them are caught and just when it seems they are done for, SURPRISE! they are once again saved from their own stupidity. I have to give Kripke a little credit though, at least the Patriots can shoot and kill a lot better than the Monroe milita could, I think the Patroits kiled like 6 people in the couple of minutes of screen time they had. I wish the writers would provide better reasons for the characters actions instead of them ending up in these situations because they are stupid about how they go about doing things. At least Neville was following someone when he ended up in the whorehouse shooting gallery.
More +
Flag
Of course the Patriots are half decent shots...they've been taking aim at war tribe cannon fodder, just wait till they start aiming at people who appear in the title credits. All of a sudden, I think they're going to start missing A LOT more ;)

Upon further review, at least the firefly angle lets them avoid the tried and true method of getting people out of danger...miraculously finding where they're being held, magically bypassing all levels of security, and on their way out, alerting everybody to their presence by doing something stupid, getting into a fight, and escaping by the skin of their teeth. Spontaneous combustion...WAY easier {facepalm}

Monroe saving Charlie was so contrived. It's one thing to manipulate viewers while they know they're being manipulated...and it's another to do it well. Was there ever any doubt that the second Charlie found herself in danger that Monroe was going to save the day?

Sure, it's all "better than season 1", but I've never one to be impressed by exceeding exceptionally low expectations. I'm patient enough to give them a little time to shower off the filth that was season 1, that's a tough stain...but I'm seeing enough independent issues that "better than season 1" is quickly being a weak excuse.
More +
Flag
LOL, look how touched up Rachel's face is...she looks 30. TOO fuckin funny!! I know they do this all teh time, but it never gets old...Charlie is so photoshopped as well, she actually looks pretty, rather than ok I'm used to her face already...
Flag
This show is nowhere near brilliant.. Season 1 was not interesting at all.. just some sci-fi bs thrown around.. Now that we have gotten used to that fact and well switching our brains off while watching, this has started becoming interesting.. And that means it will be canceled by the end of season 2.. :D
Flag
No mention of the Arabic writing in this review? That should seriously be blowing your mind right now. How the FUCK does every patriot magically know Arabic?
Flag
The magic of the script! The better question is why wouldn't the message be in some mathematical code or something? They could all use Decoder Rings from Captain Crunch Boxes circa 1975???
Flag
This show sucks now. The writing is transparent as hell and I don't have time for this crap.
Flag
Now? More used to... You really preferred the Xena/Hercules Ripoff that wasnt funny from last season?
Flag
It just figures that the ratings are low, without The Voice as the lead in. Last season I was appalled that it didn't get canceled because it was horrendous; and now when the show has successfully pulled a 180 and is not only tolerable to watch but actually enjoyable it will likely get cancelled due to ratings. This reinvigorated version of Revolution deserves to be on Mondays again, where it has a fighting chance of pulling in the ratings needed to get renewed. Unfortunately NBC, being historically idiotic, will likely not go this route. You would think for a channel that has fallen so far from grace they would have the common sense to adjust accordingly.
Flag
It does deserve a better spot, but not Mondays. That would be a death knell for sure, unless they move it to a much later hour. Sleepy Hollow and Almost Human have it tied up at 7 & 8 CT.
Flag
Last season it was on Mondays at 10 (ET) I believe, which was a great time slot. And a later slot would allow it to go darker. However, with as much as NBC is putting into the Blacklist they're likely not going to move it so I'm very doubtful it will move nights. The other thought I had was it taking Parenthood's spot on Thursdays - Parenthood has it's following who will watch no matter when it's on, even though it's been on the cusp of getting cancelled before. However the target demographic isn't the same and the lead in of Sean Saves the World and the Michael J. Fox Show won't help. I just think NBC is setting it up to fail Wednesdays because it's up against Arrow on the CW, and the key demo for Revolution has a HUGE overlap with Arrow's.
Flag
Hmm, maybe they should swap spots with SVU and hope to keep some of its audience. They're both gruesome in content, so Revolution's new darker tone shouldn't cause the vapors.

Or they could put it on Fridays. Pair it with Grimm and the new Dracula. I won't be watching either of those, but it seems like the audience would overlap.

Lol, look at us scheduling.
Flag
I agree that pairing it with Grimm on Fridays would work, so long as they're back to back because I'm committed to Haven at 10 PM ET :-) Friday nights are tough. Fridays used to be reserved for reruns of shows that aired earlier in the week but it seems people are going out less making Fridays less of a death night for TV shows. Though, Grimm did MUCH better in the ratings when they moved it temporarily to Mondays. And a huge part of the fan base stopped watching after the first part of the season because it took SUCH a long hiatus - people forgot about it and then with its night being changed from the normal Fridays to Mondays then back to Fridays it didn't help with the confusion. I still think a new night is needed for Revolution though, anything would be better than where it is now.

NBC should offer us both jobs considering we're better at scheduling their lineup than they are! I've been ranting about NBC on another post re: Community coming back Thursdays at 8 when it will surely fail up against TBBT.
Flag
So I guess Aaron is like a warg now.
Flag
Ha yeah, he wargs into fireflies and incinerates peopel. I wish I was there when that idea was pitched..
Flag
Rachel is driving me mad....what part of keeping under the radar and healing does she not get??? Shouldn't she prepare.. the woman is an idiot. Reminds me of Andrea of the Walking Dead..oh lord please help!!
The opposite is Neville, even though i can't stand him, he's very clever.. oh and Charlie's wrong about Monroe, ....Very much enjoying this show
Flag
Tom's clever? I think not. Tom should realize that if the Patriots know who's in charge of the militias and where the bombs have dropped then they have a serious information gathering system in country. So that means they probably have a list of all potential threats from personnel in the Monroe and Georgia Militias. So, since they cannot be sure that the bombs will get all of them on their list-- they need to have a list that will allow them to find and follow the people who potential threats to the Patriots. So, it doesn't pay to reveal yourself to the Patriots. Instead he should start getting loyal people have them infiltrate the organization and then determine the weaknesses of the enemies. He would also need to develop a system for guerrilla warfare that will openly erupt and disrupt the moment of the Patriots movement westward.
Flag
True, i agree but as much as he's as asshole i bet he gets what hes after, he always surprises me, his balls are bigger than texas, he's such a narcissist. But your right the patriots are onto everything and def have a list of threats.
Flag
I think the second season is so far much better than the first. It's still pretty far from great, but it's less stupid, it's less of a problem of the week show, and I think the storytelling trick to show what's going on at 3-4 different locations is working pretty well. I also like the "Aaron controls the nanites"-arc so far, and I think Charlie and Monroe are both better characters now than last year.

Flag
If the show continues on this path and get's the axe I will kill whoever that was involved when getting it renewed during season one.

Flag
It will get cancelled for sure. I actually thinks it's pretty good now and last season was pure trash. For that reason alone, it's a goner....
Flag
Really... well then I would just stop watching now.

Flag
I loved it and thought the episode was brilliant.I find the show to be very entertaining.I agree with this writer almost word for word.Talking about a Revolution,bring it on.Because as the writer said this show has nothing to lose and always fear someone or something who has nothing to lose.We all need to join the Resistance and support this show.
Flag
Join what resistance???
Flag
On the show Miles said every good occupation deserved a Resistance.I meant join the Resistance against the Patriots as a metaphor for we all need to get on the side of Miles and company ,who will be the Resistance,and support the show.
Flag
I like the idea of what the show could have been. But the show itself is just piss-poor. Now, as to your other question about why I cannot understand you? I just don't get some one who says we all have join together to save it and then says no big deal. I would have just said " I'm only curious how it will all end". Myself, I'm right now more curious how far do they think the audience will go before they totally alienate them.
Flag
You have a point there.I responded that way because if you care a lot about something and people know that they tend to just keep needling you about it so I try to just blow off the negative.I like Revolution,I look forward to it,but I do watch other shows.I try to support what I like but if I responded that I would be sad if it ended people will usually just keep being negative about it till they get their desired response,So I blow it off,that way they don't get the response they want.Do I care if it gets canceled,yes.Will my life go on fine without ,yes.What I love about the show is the action and adventure,i try not to be to critical of details because I am watching television,I know it is fiction.I just want to be entertained and I personally am entertained by Revolution,if others are not that's fine.I'm an adult,I know majority rules,if people don't like something it will get canceled.But I don't mind being in the minority and saying I liked it anyway.
Flag
I think you need to get ready for the cancellation blues.
Flag
Do you like Revolution or not ? I can't tell,you talk about the show but you seem eager to get it canceled.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Yeah, that makes no sense your comments...
Flag
I don't get the cancellation blues when a show I like gets canceled or ends because I have other shows I like and support,so I always have something to look forward to.If Revolution goes off tomorrow I will still be happy that I watched and enjoyed it for as long as it was on.There are many shows I've liked that were canceled after one season and I still watch and enjoy the episodes to this day.I don't like your negativity and I don't need your advice.Why don't you concentrate on you and what you do like,which obviously isn't Revolution,so you shouldn't even be reading about the show but about something that you like,instead.
Flag
I have decide today, after watching this episode, that Elizabeth Mitchell is a horrible actress. I had my doubts during Lost, and also during V 2009, but now today I had to give up on her. You just cannot use the same stonned face for everything, really. It was enigmatic and cool the first time we saw you in Lost, but now it's time to go to acting school, woman. See, after Revolution revamp, all the other characters have been improved or at least polished, but Rachel is still Rachel. And she gets too much direct screen time, if you ask me. Well, it was a rather uneventful episode anyways.
Flag
And yet Twilight had/has a huge following... LOL and now Charlie with Monroe? Yup you guessed it, still a better love story.
Flag
Yes, it is known. Woman is waaaaaay overrated.
Flag
You mean that look of an asthma attack coming on as I call it isn't working for you? Damn, one more reason to kill off Rachel.
Flag
Well,Elizabeth Mitchell has had that same expression since 1994 when she was on the soap opera Loving.I've just grown used to it over the years and try not to notice.
Flag
ok, so glad it is not just my perception, as I thought at the beginning - I can live with it, as long as she doesn't take too much screen time. I hope she doesn't become essential to this season.
Flag
LOL, I think that ship has sailed....She's like the main character now!
Flag
yes, that one look she has - I have the feeling that she will die this season too.
Flag
As much as I want Rachel dead this season-- I fear it is not to be the case. Still want her to finale come out and say Charlie-- Miles' is your FATHER!
Flag
I like that idea but I will take it another step further and say Danny was Miles' too
Flag
"I still suspect Aaron's power isn't the last one we'll see from our gang, and all of them being in the Tower during its meltdown had something to do with it all."

que:
AVENGERS assemble and fight the patriots.

Flag
I vote for Miles being Aquaman.... And Charlie can Batgirl. And Rachel can be Wonderwoman... Oh and Aaron is what Pyroman?
Flag
That's Justice League, not the Avengers.
Flag
Justice League , Avengers, Fantastic Four or whatever, it is all the same to me. I hate comic books and super-heroes!
Flag
maybe even far less amazing than Aquaman
http://www.cracked.com/article_16547_the-7-crappiest-super-heroes-in-comic-book-history.html
Flag
I like them... They need a few of those super powers on this show ASAP!
Flag
maybe rachel can attain the power to emote!
Flag
Wait.....what?.....Is Aaron now God?
Google guy is God?
WTF
My brain hurts...
Flag
Google Guy is a Cyborg-- the nanobots have taken over all of his cells and now he is part machine part man all Stephen King FIRE STARTER... And as soon as the power needs to go on he will sacrifice himself and turn on the power. Think original Tron-- he will jump into the Tower's Particle Accelator and turn on the world with a big boom!
Flag
I would actually watch that
Flag
Chuck stuck around on NBC longer than it should have given its numbers. Chuck was renewed for a 13 episode final season with only 5.55 million viewership the season before on average. So I'm guessing that if we season season 3 it will be something like that.
Flag
Yes, but it required everyone to eat like 5 Subway sandwiches every episode...Ok, still worth it..although the ending of Chuck hurt my mind...
Flag
I agree about there being an ideological problem, but I also believe its rooted in poor character development.
For all the talk of Monroe being a sociopath or evil, we actually saw more of Neville as a big bad - he was, and is now more devious and amoral than Monroe.
Monroe never really developed as a character and his stalker like relationship with Miles added to this problem. It seemed like he wanted him dead but wanted someone else to kill him - which made him weak in my eyes.
Also it would seem they were aiming for the Patriots to be the overall big bad from the start, with Randall somehow easily manipulating Monroe and eventually setting off the nukes - which might e the reason for not fully developing Monroe as a bad guy, but leaves the audience with a poor villain.
Not actually showing Monroe commit atrocities or even planning them- and instead having henchmen do most of them out of fear - stopped the audience hating him.
In Breaking Bad we see Walter plan and actually do horrible things, so we know he is capable, with Monroe its all implied.

The poor development doesn't stop there though.

Without a strong bad guy, the good guy does not inspire viewers either, so Miles is hamstrung for the whole season. You can have all the sword skills in the world, but without a protagonist the audience truly wants to root against there is no substance to the cause

Charlies brother was another problem - we never knew him really, so when he was killed we didn't care and had no emotional investment in Charlies revenge motivation.

Rachel actually comes across as a unsympathetic. She left her family to save them, but we never saw her put up much resistance - we didn't see her fight for her family - then when she is finally reunited with Charlie she goes off with Aaron, basically abandoning her in favor of stopping the nanites. There is no real connection between them because of this and Rachel ends up looking like a poor parent - and no one will empathize with a bad parent.
In fact her parenting style easily draws parallels with Neville.

The lack of good characters, motivation or any real development stopped the audience investing in situations or the protagonists
More +
Flag
The problem with the first season is still plaguing the series: the ideological differences between the factions at war in the series. Revolutions tend to have a strong ideological element to them. Think of the Marxist-Leninist Revolutions in Russia and China (later Vietnam) and so on or even the American Revolution. It is as the old saying goes: "hearts and minds" must be won. We ran into the same problem in Iraq as we did in Vietnam-- we couldn't really win over all the factions "hearts and minds" especially not with Bombs! So, until Kripke comes to grips with the rather lack of ideological context of his villains and heroes he will always have a flat show.
Flag
I have to agree about the poor writing and the shambles of the overall arc. After spending the first half of the season looking for the brother and then killing him was very annoying

But the Cyborg-Googler-Fire Starter idea does sound intriguing
Flag
I disagree with the thesis that the long break killed the ratings of season one. I think we could look at the ratings of AMC's series The Walking Dead which took many months off each season- had fewer episodes per season as well still ended up being a show with 10+ million viewers at the end of season 3 with. So, I'm pretty skeptical of this theory that a long break will drive fans away. I think the problem with Revolution is that it is just not well written.
Flag
It also depends on their scheduling plan for Revolution.
Last season they gave it a huge break, which actually hurt its ratings, and they have Believe -( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2592094/?ref_=nv_sr_1) and Crossbones -(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400631/?ref_=nv_sr_1) both scheduled for mid season - either could inherit Revolutions time slot
I do think Revolution will see out its season, but it is getting close to the same low ratings which led to NBC cancelling Deception

Ironside is in a worse position than Revolution (right now it has the same ratings as Deception) which means we will probably be seeing The Night Shift - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2477230/?ref_=nv_sr_3
or Crisis -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2322158/?ref_=nv_sr_1 taking its slot (both are scheduled for mid season anyway.

If Revolutions ratings rebound to 1.8 to 2,0 levels, it may get a third limited run season - and they rebrand it as a special event or whatever nonsense lingo the networks decide to use for mini series
Flag
I saw those numbers as well. The question is does NBC want to gamble on a new show in the 8pm Wednesday slot at this point? It is still doing better even with these numbers than the previous shows were doing in the same slot. Given that fact and the general lack luster performance of NBC's shows for the last few years-- I'm not sure that NBC will cancel this show without giving it an ending. I think it will get some sort of ending in a third season even if it is only 13 episodes?
Flag
Last night episode was 1.4 in the key demo and 5.39m in total - not adjusted for DVR numbers yet, but last week there was no jump because of DVR numbers.
The Toy Story special probably took a chunk of viewers, but as it was only a half hour show, and Back in the Game lost nearly half the lead in from it, there may be a spike for the final half of the episode
The main worry would be the week on week slides in viewership - if this trend does not stop, then the buzzards will begin to circle.
However, if there is no baseball next week the ratings may increase
Flag
I wouldn't watch it. And I don't believe anyone will if this season doesn't start to show at least 2.0 in the 18-49 demo and 6.0 million viewers overall.
Flag
Considering this episode drew a new series low (1.4 i think), they better bring out the Cyborg Googler arc soon
Flag
"by being better-than-good in Season 2" ~ts

Sorry, no clue what you get paid for writing this, but better than good is totally delusional. This show is beyond repair ...
The "REVENGE, Kill Monroe!!!!"-storyarc ... The hot chick that can't act finally reaches Monroe and he shows her a bounty for him and her mother and they just part ways "WTF!?!?!?!" Instead of collecting the diamonds, (diamonds as currency, lol?!?, makes perfect sense ... after all 20 years from now, without machines, power, sea travels every citizen has a a couple of diamonds with him ... heck even fallouts currency of bottle caps is more believable) they just band together after Monroe killing father and brother ... sure ...
Can't name a single character that is "authentic" for this world ... this season isn't darker, sluttier ... its just worse and I can't understand why they won't pull the plug on this show ...
Flag
I agree it has not gotten better, but worse. I do say it has improved the unintentional comedy bits-- they are now twice as absurd as before i.e. Aaron the Fire Starter...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Tim, besides being a rather erratic reviewer of this show-- I'm starting to cement my theory into fact that your a not so closet misogynist.

A little list of things that you mentioned all last season but haven't done so far:

1) Deus Ex Machina Moments... Like how the Patriots just manage to show up in time to save the Town from the Andover Clan-- even though clearly the battle plans have been substantially moved up on the time table. Thus, making it either a case the Patriot forces would be so close that they would be seen or the Patriots have horses that run at the speed of light thus making long distance communication possible. And they also have transportation faster than horses and marching... Any way you slice it no way the Patriots could make it on time without the help of a very happy God of WAR!

2) Helsinki Syndrome Relationships: You spent the entire summer whining about how unbelievable CBS' "Under Dome's" primary relationship between Barbie and Julia was due to the little thing of Barbie killing her husband. Then you say absolutely nothing of how Rachel has gone from grudgingly accepting Miles' help in season one to Schoolgirl Crush in season 2. What gives? It is not just as traumatic to be taken captive for a decade or so-- miss out on your children's childhoods, face torture from Miles and Monroe, and be forced to help build a weapons' system? I might find those things as negative in a future relationship with Miles--don't you? But not lately, I guess.

3) Monroe appearing from out of the frame to make the hit-- you know homage to Miles' most amazing tactical achievement-- waiting off screen to kill the bad guy in the scene. You spent all of last season whining about that--now Monroe does it you don't even blink about it.

4) Villains that don't do anything remotely scary? Was I the only one who thought that Matt Ross' character was about as scary as a the Tooth Fairy? All I wanted to do was to shoot him in the head as soon has mob of wannabe zombies showed up at the front gate. There is something to cutting off the head of the snake! Especially, when you do with a M2HB 12.7x99mm Nato Heavy Machinegun:

5) Limited Ammunition-- Last year they spent the first half of the season complaining about limited ammunition. Then by the second half of the season they were shooting M134 Mini Guns with a standard rate of fire of 4500 rpm ( Rounds Per Minute)... And now we are to believe that the Cuban Refugee government has an endless supply of military grade tents, cots, food stuffs for Refugee camps-- but also endless supplies of small arms and ammunition as well for the ground forces? All while keeping their logistical chain supplied by late 18th or early 19th century Sailing Ships? I'm sure the Tim Surette review of season one would have said something about this inconsistency.

6) Convenient Villains... Kenny the Butcher was a convenient villain... It would have made more sense for Ed Truman to out Miles Matheson and Rachel Matheson as leaders in the Nuclear Explosions along with Aaron. They could easily rounded them up and taken them away as being enemies of the people! Oh wait... that would be logical and not so mysterious.

7) Do we need more Mystery? I think not... especially not when it screams oh look I stole my best ideas from Stephen Kings "Fire Starter"...
More+
Flag
I guess no one liked my theory that Tim is a not so closeted misogynist???
Flag
I am curious what made Aaron drop down (unconscious) the first time the firefly cam came to life. Is there a mechanism that makes sure he is out when one of his friends might need him through the fireflies? Is it sponsored by Google glass as a possible future implementation? So much possibilities....
Flag
Tim is drunk with lowered expectations. Revolution is only marginally better this season. Charlie's character is as one dimesional as always, and the acting is still terrible. That said, it is technically better...but hardly as "better than good" as Tim is proclaiming. As much as I enjoy hate-watching revolution, I do prefer watching good TV more. So I'm hopeful this show follows through. These for episodes, while admittedly improved, prove nothing.
Flag
No, Charlie is better only because does she say now per episode- 10-20 lines at most. The less she speaks the better her acting. These episodes haven't improved anything actually, they only have added mystery where none needed to be.

Let me ask you question: Can you honestly say you care about who the President of The United States is? I for one cannot care about it. Because the entire Coup Conspiracy Patriot arc is so boring that I wish it would just get to the Insurgency Again!
Flag
I don't suppose I disagree. I was trying to give the show a few extra points for not sucking as much. But you're right, sucking less doesn't mean it's better.

Side note: can someone buy Gun Fring's son a whole shirt? And also, stop gluing his hair to his head.
Flag
I am liking it a lot better (and weirdly, I too appreciate the wtf Aaron and that he is going to bring it up to his little trio next week...good, address the weird stuff...it might get Rachel on something other than causing so much goddamn trouble). If the quality stays good and the ratings stay eh..and lets say a show falls on its face like I expect it too, but NBC shouldn't be too frightened by Fridays at ten. Grimm has a following and there are lots of people who give ratings to those CBS shows on Friday nights. People are tired come the beginning of the weekend...
Flag
Monroe and Charlie. People bursting into flames. Occuption. Scheming Neville. Revolution you crazy little show - I love you!

They created the best thing they could have - a common enemy that brings out different facets in everybody and gives them a chance at a new role on the show. Also there could actually finally be a revolution on Revolution.
Flag
That poll. Yeah, what the hell happened to the Canuks? Did they build a wall and say, "No former-American wannabe despots allowed, eh." Did Russia take them over? Did the Queen sail in on a ship and declare them reclaimed? Did French speaking Quebec finally kick off a war with the rest of Canada? They are getting messages across the U.S. at lightening speed. I would like some other country rumors and gossip actually. What has 2,000 year old China been up to?
Flag
You are not supposed to ask those questions. You supposed to only be balled over by the mystery of the POTUS Coup Conspiracy!
Flag
http://revolutiontvshow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=914#.UmAjACT9tT8
Flag
It was a build up episode without the build up to anything at all!
Flag
Oh jeez, so Aaron is the new messiah or something now? The king of the fireflies/nanites? How retarded. Will someone please kill this guy?
Welcome to the swashbuckling adventures of Charlie and Sebastian! The redemption story begins... lol
Good to see the ruthless Gus Fringe back in action. That guy's a bad ass. He's probably the only character I really like right now...Everybody else is either too annoying or just plain stupid at the moment. Miles is ok but they've really dialed back his badassery...
Flag
I absolutely loved the episode,it is in my top tier episodes of Revolution.I really never saw the Monroe/Charlie thing coming but I'm really hoping these two get together in some way.The show wouldn't have been nearly as good had Rachel listened to Miles.Rachel getting in trouble was great.Love anything Miles is doing,so he was getting in trouble,as usual,just the way I like it.God that man is hot!!!I'm so into the science fiction elements going on with Aaron,I'm not afraid to watch a show that embraces science fiction,like some people.So all and all,excellent episode!!More please,like now.
Flag
When I start liking Charlie, she goes and open her big mouth...She's not only back to annoying , she is childish & a jerk-face.... I mean, mocking Monroe's tears and pain.... Look, I understand that this guy kill half your family and you hate him but that's not way to treat someone who just save you from being rape by a bunch of guys... Not cool
Flag
LMAO! What?

When Monroe mumbled, "I was a perfect gentleman the whole time," upon Charlie waking up like a newborn uncoordinated gazelle. I was like, "Do you want a cookie or something?" Shit. You don't get props for not being a rapist.

Also, I found her mockery of his watery eyes hilariously meta. David can act. Tracy can not. He can apparently, make his eyes water at will. Didn't half his scenes last season have him looking like he was about to bust out in sobs or gunfire. Not a single manly tear falling down his cheek without his consent. Talent.

I will agree that Charlie is terrible. They're trying desperately to cover it up by having her talk less, appear less, display unearned fighting skills, and do THE SEX with strangers in a world without birthcontrol or STD treatment, but underneath it all she's still an awful character.
Flag
This is silly. He's responsible for boatloads and boatloads of deaths, not just her. Just because he shows remorse doesn't mean he gets off easy. So far, I haven't seen him do anything that would truly redeem him.
Flag
He has no pain. As far as we know he's literally a sociopath.
Flag
5 Key Points:
1. Charlie got punched in the face! classic Revolution.
2. Aaron is effectively Skylar from Heroes. Revolution writers, remember how insufferable Skylar got after season 1, please don't keep this up long.
3. Rachel is at her best when she's in full on psychopath mode, remember in season 1 when she stabbed that guy in the neck while apologizing to him? Love that bitch.
4. Terrible casting choice with Steven Culp, (Edward Truman, Patriot Leader in Willoughby) I can buy him as a bad guy as a loveable douche, but not a ruthless manipulator with no regard for life.
5. Good call bringing the gang back together, especially Bass and Miles, the relationship with the single most sexual tension on this show.
Flag
You mean Sylar? and I'm confused by that comaprison. Unless you're refering to Skylar from Breaking Bad, thennnn I get it...
Flag
Oh, ouch. I'm super sorry Breaking Bad for associating a character from your show with the drivel that was Heroes S2-end. I do mean Sylar. How about an edit button TV.com?
Flag
Lol.. Walter white would forgive you if he wasn't dead...
Flag
The best thing to do if they want to improve the show is to kill off Charlie.Awful actor (pretty though) but that Hunger Games thing (a girl with o bow) isnt working
Flag
I don't want Charlie to die (now). Because it would be cheap. Rachel and Miles, etc. making constipated, "I'm feeling emotion right now," faces, while the audience is cheering at home because Charlie is dreadful.

I want Charlie to walk away because she's fed up. Has some principles. Something. I would think she would eventually be overwhelmed by the facts:
  • Her mom cheated on her father
  • Her biological father is either her uncle or her sworn enemy
  • Her parents had a role in the black-out that killed billions of people
  • Her uncle and his bestie were tyrannical despots that held people hostage under their reign and killed lots of people; eventually leading to the death of her father and brother
  • Joining the cause to turn on the Power lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and the Occupation of the remaining peaceful outposts in the Nations
  • She will have to work with and rely on the man responsible for the death of her family members and friends and feel guilt for liking or appreciating him at any given time
  • She will have to observe and deal with the interesting, but completely twisted love-triangle that is going on between Rachel-Miles-Monroe
I'm probably missing something.

Frankly, I want her to fight the good fight and then run off with Jason never to be seen again. They both have such terrible families.
More +
Flag
I guess drunk Rachel is slightly less psychopathic than sober Rachel. Season 1 Rachel would you definitely thrown the torch right at his face. I was worried that she was slipping, but she obviously reemerged to break her own thumb and take care of business. Filling in a six foot deep hole with a broken thumb though? Ouch.
Flag
I was sure she was gonna set him ablaze! Then the thumb dislocation scene AFTER just being shot in the pectorals with a bow and arrow. I'm still confused as to where this academic got her fighting skills, but OK, Revolution, stay crazy.
Flag
I loved the Charlie scene.
And Monroe rescuing Charlie after she was drugged, and all the possibilities that storyline has to offer.
Aaron having dreams/flashes/control over the fireflies better not last long. it is stupid and I don't want to hear any geek-speak trying to explain why it makes sense in a world without power for him to be able to control nanobots or anything else with his mind, or in his dreams, or any other dumb crutch for bad storytelling.
Rachel is still caring a huge stupid sign on her back front and everything in between. What am I missing about this character????? The show set her dead husband up as the scientist to watch and has done nothing to replace that idea other than her telling people she was a superviser for the project. Superviser is code for not the person who knows what they're doing. I know they shot themselves in the foot on that front when they killed Ben, but still they have done nothing to make me believe Rachel is worth a damn, let alone worth watching.
I hate to say it, but the brief action scene with Monroe was easily worth any scene Miles has done. MAybe it was the director but maybe it was just that the younger acor is still action star material. They slowed Miles down with the sword last season and sped up all the guns and explosions as they started giving eyone and tir mother power, so maybe Miles just needs a good couple fights.
ANd Rachel killing her captor/admirer while handcuffed to the ceiling days after being shot in the chest (andshoulder area) by breaking out just in time was incredibly stupid.
seriously.
More+
Flag
Fireflies (nanites?) under Aaron's unconcious control. Is Aaron the nanites God? Think what Aaron could do if he had concious control. Miles and Rachel did heal very fast. Miles with his smashed hand scaling a fence, well it must've been the adrenaline rush. And Rachel up and about and managing to overpower a strong man with an injured hand. Then there is the uneasy partnership of Charlie and Monroe and the machinations of Neville. The patriots must know who Miles and Rachelreally are, they have wanted posters out for them, what is there agenda?
Flag
I have a feeling with the firefly thing that Aaron is able to control the nanites because he had something to do with their programming. Granted the slate has been wiped clean from the first season for the most part, they are keeping some of the minor details, and that is one that we can't overlook. When we found out that he was in those journal entries and in the news paper for having some break through scientific thing, having something to do with the blackout, it was probably the basis for the nanites. Therefore, I can only assume that he has some kind of fail safe programmed into them so that nothing can happen to him or that he can control them. That, or possibly when they brought him back to life he is now connected with them in a weird way that allows them to be controlled. Aaron also did mention how animals are acting strangely and it probably has something to do with that too.
Flag
I'm glad we had some self actualization by Rachel...who has been driving me nuts. Hopefully she'll listen when Miles tries and stop her...and that she stops randomly yelling his real name out where anyone can hear it.

How do you think they explained Aaron's role this year..we need something wtf to go on. That is all you this year.

I thought the Adam guy was a new cast member? Did Monroe stick him in the paddy wagon? Unless Willoughby is his checkpoint I don't understand.
Flag
Rachel is such a problem for me as a character. I just see her as a bad guy and a dumb one at that (Yes, stop yelling out Miles' name). And I think the writers want us to see her as fierce and good intentioned, but all her intentions lead to mass murder. Then the other characters go, "It wasn't your fault. I've always found you hot." It's partially your fault, pretty much everything.

I was kinda digging Ben's failsafe in Aaron at first. But you can't have a guy with superpowers because you're gonna continuous wonder, why not use your superpowers? I wish they hadn't killed Ben, I really like the actor.
Flag
I know, I keep wondering if they had this idea of the character of Rachel and just stumbled into the casting and have been scrambling since. You kind of hoped with the rehab they did of Charlie, her mother might have accomplished some of the same stuff, but I guess we weren't bitching about Rachel as much last year.

I also wish they hadn't killed Ben (which was clearly Danny's fault), heck, they likely still want to create the issue that maybe Miles is actually Charlie's father and that would be so much more interesting if Ben was around since she seemed to get along well with Ben.
Flag
No matter who Charlie's biological father turns out to be. I hope Charlie declares that Ben was her father and gives the sperm donor and her mother the finger. I want at least one character to have loved and respected Ben, aside from Aaron!
Flag
if she listened when Miles tried to stop her she wouldn't have taken the first opportunity to go running in EXACLY the opposite direction of the few requests she made. Apparently the writers think she is sooooooo special that no one will care if she jusacts stupid. (note, that was stupid... not insane, she was just acting stupid)
Flag
I honestly wasn't sure what to make of this season at first. I mean, sure, the first season wasn't that great, but it could be kind of fun in its own way. Though, in this season, they reworked pretty much everything: the overall storyline, the setting, the character motivation, the tone, etc. And granted, the writing wasn't as shaky as it was in the first season, but I needed time to see where they were going with this season to say if I cared for this new direction. But during these last couple of episodes, and especially this one, I think I can finally say I'm happy with what they're doing.

I'm loving the new character dynamics this season. A mentally unstable Rachel, who went into a depression and tried to kill herself because of her role in the nukes going off? Neville and Monroe on the same side as Charlie and the others, without it feeling forced? Not to mention Monroe and Charlie specifically teaming eventually. Really, the only character I'm still uncertain of is Aaron, but him using the fireflies to light those people on fire actually has me very excited to see what they have in store for him.

And I'm also liking the use of the US government in this season. I can't help being reminded of the second season of Jericho while watching this story unfold, especially now that they're actually moving into the town, trying to "help" them.

Hopefully the series continues going strong as the stories continue to evolve.
More+
Flag
How has this show gone from me wishing everyone affiliated with it to be taken out back and shot repeatedly or at least UNEMPLOYED to my favorite (new) show of the season?

I was intrigued all the way through. The only thud moment was Rachel's former Young Alcoholics Club BFF dropping, "I always had a thing for you," just before getting ready to kill her. Rachel (Elizabeth) is pretty, but she ain't all that. Neither is over 40 Miles. Yet, the show insists their collective Milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard...and drives them to insanity. Stop already.

Sure the Patriots are bad, but at least they're organized! What do our "heroes" have as an alternative. The good ol' pre-black-out United States had a bloody, sinister, origin story...I'm not seeing the problem.

Aww, Bas comes to Willoughby. Now Miles gets to stand between his two favorite loosely hinged blondes. Good times!

Other nagging issue. Why Texas? Other than stereotypes (Hello, Georgia and Plains Nation) and secessionist wackadoodles, I can't imagine it being ideal. I'm a Texas transplant. The last place I would want to stay if the power went out is Texas. What with its LACK OF WATER (we steal that ish from Oklahoma) and its 100 plus degree extended summer temps.
More+
Flag
It is on the coast, in a world without cars or airplanes coastal cities were huge.
Flag
Hmm. I wonder how many people know how to desalinate sea water or locate fresh water. I believe East Texas has the most accessible fresh water. There's fresh water here and there throughout, but not enough to support the huge population. It's my understanding that Texas was pretty sparsely populated before the advent of air conditioning and siphoning water from other states. Texas could probably support a couple hundred thousand people post black-out. Generous. Even if they could locate water, could people even get through the shale down here without equipment to reach it?

I'm thinking too much about this! There's ample booze. Nothing to worry about.
Flag
Loved this episode my only complaint is I wish there were more/longer charlie/monroe scenes. Glad to have everyone back together soon. Love the group interactions.
Flag
and that was your ONLY complaint with this show/episode?
Flag
Yes, I loved this episode not as action packed as last weeks but still a great episode.
Flag
I thought this was one of the sword slashiest, forced drug overdosing, close quarter stabbing, gang raping, Holocaust reminiscent murdering, human emollient episodes to date.

I don't know how much more action they can pack in at this family TV hour before they get banished to online airings.
Flag
It looks like next week there will be a lot more of that
Flag
Follow this Show
Members