A Revolution Community
NBC (ended 2014)
Okay let me stretch my legs here for a second, it's been a while since I've thrown together one of these thanks to the winter break so I'll need a few minutes to warm back up. First off let's begin with my choice for the photo to go with the article because I feel like it encapsulated my reaction to this entire episode. Just like Charlie and Gramps were like okay this is...different when they found the oranges I was also like okay...not sure what's going on here, but it's not working. I think in the first half of the rebooted season 2 of Revolution we discovered a few things about this show that really make it work and some that are a disaster.

My primary issue with regards to this returning episode is based on the strengths and weaknesses of certain characters and certain pairings. For example, I have been onboard Team Marlie since day 1 of this season (I have proof) and no I will refuse to obey NBC and call it Charloe. David Lyons and Tracy Spiridakos have been killing it this season as frenemies with a ton of baggage between them, but also surprisingly enough some actual emotional connection as well. Naturally the immediate plan for this episode was more of this

Even beyond Team Marlie though - there have been some good chemistry moments between Miles and Rachel (especially early in the season when Rachel was off her rocker), Major Neville and Jason, and even Aaron had his moment (finally) when he went super dark at the end of the midseason finale.

Unfortunately, the pairings we had to start off this half season were all extremely creaky and uninteresting (even Major Neville and wife! - which was totally unexpected). Anyway, I'll try and get into this a little bit more as we move through the episode.

Starting off this episode we witnessed Edison and the other Patriot with a name I don't remember so I will call him Torture guy (since that's what he needed Gramps for in the flashbacks) investigating the disappearance of Dr. Horn.

All they found inside the schoolhouse were the charred remains of the victims of Aaron, Lord of the Fireflies. Eventually, the two Patriots discovered Dr. Horn's body and immediately I thought this might be where all those super useful flashback scenes of Dr. Horn's past where he learned that medicine was good might finally come in handy.

Anyway, sorry about the snark. More seriously our two Patriots were kind of like whatever,

I'm sure this plotline will continue on at a later date, but for now this was all we would get about the good Dr. Horn.

On the other side of town we had one bright shining moment of Team Marlie as they rescued Grampa.

In what would be a continuing trend throughout the episode, Gramps threw a little shade at Charlie and looked askance at her about her killing of the Patriot guards.

Back in the new hideout for our heroes Gramps came in handy to treat Miles for that little bit of blood poisoning (or something) that he was suffering from in the last few episodes.

After a good night's rest it was time to kick off the questionable decisions part of the episode. As we were only 5 minutes in at this point that's not exactly a good thing. Aaron took some time to say goodbye to Cynthia at her grave with Rachel and Gramps in tow.

Aaron sort of, a little bit, decided that maybe he should embrace his new unknown "destiny" with the fireflies like Cynthia always told him he should. New plotline relevant news was that Spring City, Oklahoma did not ring any bells for Rachel so this was a completely brand new revelation courtesy of the fireflies. Meanwhile, Gramps couldn't help but butt in.

At this point Monroe had finally had enough of waiting for Miles to tell him where his son was. After pointing out that he had saved both Aaron and Gramps thereby fulfilling his pact with Miles and then some, Miles gave in and decided to take Monroe to find his son in the hopes of retaining Monroe's services against the Patriots after they had done so.

We then very briefly got a view of Major Neville, Jason, his new boss and his wife + new husband rolling up sedately to the White House.

Then Rachel and Miles had a bit of a heart to heart about whether or not Rachel should join Miles and Monroe on their endeavor. Naturally Rachel was somewhat reluctant to help Monroe.

Rachel eventually gave in and agreed to help after Miles made an impassioned plea that he wasn't sure that he could remain the "good" version of Miles if he spent too much time around Monroe alone.

Up in Washington all the muckity mucks of the Patriot high command were glad handing it up in the White House. One man who did not appear to be having a good time was our "hero" Major Neville

His particular grievance for the night was having to watch his wife hang out with her new husband around the Chief of Staff. However, the two would soon put into motion a plan to kill the Chief of Staff in order to replace him with Julia's new husband.

Back in Texas country we started out focused on Cynthia's grave in the dead of night and all I could think was:

But, really all this served was to witness Aaron sneak away into the night leaving Charlie and Gramps behind.

The next day, Monroe thought it would be a good idea to clear the air between himself and Rachel after she appeared to be less than pleased with their current predicament. Quite succinctly,

After Aaron's "daring" escape into the night Charlie and Gramps decided to split up and go after him the next day.

Back in South Texas we soon learned that Miles had left Connor (Monroe's son) who would be 25 now in Mexico which was now the more prosperous side of the border.

Apparently border security was pretty strict so our heroes were forced to sneak into Mexico by pretending to be day laborers. At this point I really felt like this plot was dragging along and apparently I was not the only one.

Monroe's patience gave out and he easily manhandled the man with the gun and took off with the cart.

Up in DC the Nevilles were up to their old dirty tricks as they attempted to assassinate their way up the food chain.

Unfortunately all of the important people were summoned away before Major Neville could poison the Chief of Staff, much to the chagrin of Julia.

How these two EVER got married before the blackout is beyond me. There is no way this man eater Julia who craves power and such would ever fall for mild mannered insurance adjuster Mr. Neville.

While out and about looking for Aaron back in Texas, Gramps witnessed the delivery of some new goods to Willoughby and was curious what they might be. He enlisted the help of Charlie to find out. Charlie easily dispatched both wagon guards and once again Gramps gave her grief about it, whereas I on the other hand whole heartedly approved the return of the episode 201 badass Charlie Matheson.

So what was the mysterious new black magic that would be brought to Willoughby courtesy of the Patriots?

Back in Mexico Monroe was getting steamed up after discovering that the relatives Connor had been living with had been dead for 8 years. Luckily enough, however, it would be Connor who would find them as opposed to the other way around.

Also, my early season prediction is definitely back on track

Anyway, the reunion went just about as expected with Monroe not identifying Connor initially and being a bit of an ass.

Connor attempted to throw some weight around as he works for the Nunes cartel and is high enough up to manage 30 men. Naturally, Monroe was more like "boy, please" and revealed himself to be Sebastian Monroe the man who ran a country.

After this unsuccessful reunion Rachel was quick to poke at Monroe's attempt at being a momentary father figure.

Back in Washington we finally had some time alone with Jason who has disappeared from our TV screens a lot this season.

He took it upon himself to go through his new bosses papers after the man seemed upset after his meeting with the President. He seemed rather concerned with what he found.

The rest of the Neville family also had a very successful night as Tom killed the Chief of Staff.

Back in Mexico things were still not going so well.

Monroe once again tried to reconcile with his son, but to no avail. Apparently his new plan was for him and Connor to join forces and retake control of the Monroe Republic.

Instead Monroe was hauled off to meet the head of the Nunes cartel.

Back in Willoughby Edison was talking about the oranges and I was paying attention until I spotted a sign behind him that I hadn't noticed before.

Willoughby Town Rules
- Mandatory attendance for town meetings
- All citizens are required to participate in town watch
- Children under (blank) must attend school
- Stray animals will be shot
- Clean up after your horses
- Public drunkenness and rude behavior will not be tolerated
- (unsure) No spitting or swearing

Anyway, unsurprisingly the oranges turned out to be just another new part of the Patriots diabolical plot

And finally we ended the episode with Aaron doing something SMART for a change as he went to investigate Spring City, Oklahoma

Maybe, Aaron, maybe. Let's see what happens next first. We ended the scene with the reveal that a familiar face was also occupying Spring City.

I'm not too thrilled with this episode. While I did actually like Connor quite a bit I'm pretty over dealing with the Rachel - Monroe problems. Her presence also prevents the fun back and forth between Miles and Monroe. I'm not sure what the hell Charlie is still doing in Willoughby, I would have much rather seen her hang out with Monroe in Mexico while Rachel and Miles dealt with Willoughby. Also, I'm not a huge fan of this version of Julia, but I have hopes that I or she will come around.

Questions

What did you think about this week's episode?

What's up with the oranges?

What did Jason find?

Will Nunes/Monroe/Miles/Connor lead a Mexican army out to battle the Patriots towards the end of the season?

When will we meet the President?

n
48 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Charlie and Conner need to get together, that would make Monroe's and Conner's and Charlie's relationship so much better!
Flag
It seems that the writers rewatched season 1 during the break (Connor's mother being shot, etc.) ; but now, it appears that the earlier flashback about Monroe's wife dying while giving birth was completely off, doesn't it ?
Flag
loved the caption "Must....Kill.....Everyone....." its funny because it could also work for breaking bad. but more so here. love his character. he's so good at being bad.
Flag
This episode was great and might I say Monroe's son is hooooot. He needs to meet Charlie. Speaking of Charlie I like how much she's developed over the season but i think she's been spending to much time with miles and Bas she is getting way to good at killing people and there's no look of care, which is why gramps keeps giving her that holly shit what happen to you look.
The oranges what the hell is up with the oranges weird. More Monroe's son please that would be great and have him join miles,Charlie and Bas in defeating the patriots and not bas's stupid plan for father son bonding
Flag
Good and funny review, well done!
1. Mostly due to Monroe it had some moments but I'm a little worried where his son's story is going and how fast the Neville story is progressing. Got me some season 1 vibes.
2. If it is what it seems it's utterly pointless, but maybe they are poisoned or drugged or both.
3.Plan Oranges?
4. Could be. There will be some kind of dispute with the cartel but leading to an army fighting the patriots? Who knows with this show...
5. Soon.
Flag
Just when I thought Monroe had maybe learned his lessons and was starting to come down off the psychotic, must rule the world kick that led him into so much trouble, his big reunion plan is to offer to work together to seize control of his stolen kingdom?! What are you doing to me? This is why you need to stay with Charlie!
Flag
I loved when Monroe was trying to communicate with the Mexicans: "Excusez moi!"
Flag
But how long will Monroe keep using dated pop culture references?
"Your West-Side-Story thugs..."
"Huh... What's West Side Story?"
"It's a movie!"
"Huh... What's a movie?"
Flag
I just wanted to mention- I just read 'S', a book that was written/collaborated on by J.J. Abrams, and it was massively-chock-full of all sorts of pop(and other) cultural references. 'Lost' was pretty crammed full of them as well. To the credit of the writers, some(on all these) have been somewhat obscure-but-generally-clever. The more well-known ones can feel a little heavy handed but I don't think they are going to go away. :)
Flag
I don't know; they've kept inserting pop culture references as though the people of the day would know what the characters are talking about. In one episode, they had a "Step right up, folks!" guy inviting people to meet the last living Friends cast member; also, they keep having guys with guitars in bars playing songs like "Crazy Train." Can't remember the song from this week's episode, but there was a guy in the bar playing something from pop culture. Also, West Side Story started out as a play, so they may have seen it. Long answer to your observation, but you're also watching an Eric Kripke production written by people from Supernatural. The pop culture references are never going to go away, in short.
Flag
Yes, of course, West Side Story was a play indeed. I wonder how Broadway is doing in these post-electricity days.
Flag
OMG- that Walker, 'his-legend-is-known-far-and-wide' Texas Ranger reference was fantastic!!
Flag
Guys, you are all totally forgetting about the story of the greatest man to ever live, Walker - Texas Ranger
Flag
Probably better than television! Hee hee.
Flag
1.Not enough *sparks*, aka Charlie+Monroe.
I just realized that I watch Revolution only for them. Occassionally Miles.
2.Who cares?
Srsly, they are now in like stone age, do they really have to go for ALL this trouble to control bunch of freaked out people. They would give them oranges strait and already became heroes... Too much effort.
3.December 2000 Playboy edition with twins on the cover? At least that was what his face expressed...
4.Hmmm... No.
5,Judging by the way the plot is going on so far I'm guessing end of the season.
Oh and Monroe+Monroe Jr. was suprisingly fun.

Flag
Oh and Monroe+Monroe Jr. was suprisingly fun.

That was a very nice addition to the show.
Flag
This weeks episode?: Meh. I actually didn't think it was *HORRIBLE* but, obviously, I watch this show to begin with so my opinion is not to be trusted.

Oranges?: Clearly, psychotropic drugs! Yes! Oranges are the new television in post-apocalyptic America!

What did Jason find? Mr. Ed and Dr. Horn both alluded to some sort of 'plan'- taking over town by town. Maybe he found the plan? Clearly the guy Neville has latched onto was disturbed about something, so... I think it may be something big. Back in the day, Randall talked about 'wiping the world clean' and then there was all that stuff about only taking the young and strong from the Savannah camp- maybe this is going to be a holocaust reenactment? I would think any plan would be sort of expected. All our 'heroes' and 'anti-heroes' know the Patriots are bad news, so... uh. idk.

Will Nunes/Monroe/Miles/Connor lead a Mexican army out to battle the Patriots towards the end of the season?: Duh! Clearly, Texas isn't going to help and honestly, probably wasn't big enough/strong enough. They've set up Mexico as being more prosperous or whatever (the whole paradox of now-who's-not-letting-people-cross-the-border thing) so maybe Miles/Monroe/Connor take over the Cartel(or enlist their aid? though this seems unlikely) and go after the Patriots? I have no idea.

the President? Eh. Do we care so much? Is it going to be someone we know? For the life of me, I can't think who it might be that would be all 'OMG!'.. Unless.. it is Zombie-Ben.
More+
Flag
I watch this show to begin with so my opinion is not to be trusted.
Oranges are the new television in post-apocalyptic America!

Well played. lol.

Clearly, Texas isn't going to help and honestly, probably wasn't big enough/strong enough.

Must....not....give in... to Texas....homerism. More seriously it is kind of weird that the Texas government was involved for 2 episodes and then completely said "oh well, whatevs we <3 the Patriots now I guess"

Unless.. it is Zombie-Ben.

Nail meet hammer.
Flag
If Mexico ends up throwing down with the Patriots, Texas isn't going to have much choice about jumping into the fray.

But seriously, on the President issue? Is there *anyone* it could be that would be interesting beyond which actor is playing him? (think it is a 'him') Racking my brain to remember the Randall flashbacks to the death of his son and I think he was in a Cabinet meeting or something?
Flag
Kripke. Kripke. Abrams, Favreau, Kripke. These names pop in my head as I TRY to watch this bile. Good cast too, for the most part. And I do see some of Kripke's knack for great dialogue. But I am so disappointed. With those involved and even a pretty original concept - this is a pile of poop. I wish it wasn't so - I had high expectations.
Flag
That being said, Juliet still has amazing eyes and an even better rack. Yes. I am pig.
Flag
1. Monroe was obviously the best part of this episode. I'm not really that interested in the Neville's storyline at this point. I still don't understand why Rachel went on the trip when it should've been Charlie. Just thinking of how much more exciting that would've been makes me mad.

2. They're probably injecting the oranges with the same thing they gave Jason. Why they want to turn everyone into killers, beats me.

3. Don't know, don't really care.

4. I think Monroe/Miles/Rachel will leave Mexico and go back to Willoughby but leave Connor behind. However, I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again towards the end of the season, when all the action gets set in motion.

5. Towards the end of the season? Look, IDEK anymore.

P.S. Future Mr. Charlie Matheson? NOOO!!!!
Flag
Charlie needed to stay behind to protect gramps and the cookie monster
Flag
I still don't understand why Rachel went on the trip when it should've been Charlie. Just thinking of how much more exciting that would've been makes me mad.

Agreed.

They're probably injecting the oranges with the same thing they gave Jason

Good call. Also a development that I'm not particularly interested in.

P.S. Future Mr. Charlie Matheson? NOOO!!!!

Just wait until it turns into a Jason-Connor-Charlie triangle. I can tell it's coming. Sigh. Can't we just let Charlie and Monroe become best friends and watch that show instead.
Flag
I wasn't bowled over by this episode, but as I discovered, my expectations for it are at absolute zero. But next week Arrow is back and this show might get relegated to Saturday morning breakfast show.

Sigh, I think I don't care what is going in the oranges? I mean, why do they need to do mind control or whatever? People in general seem okay with the Patriots. It might be interesting if, I don't know that there is some weird water powered centrifuge that they used to do something to Aaron's blood or something, but that seems technically useless since if I followed the nanoboy correctly and incorporated what Rachel has said, there were nanobots everywhere and they came alive because of what happened at the Tower and just talked to Aaron and helped him because they thought that he gave them life. Oh wait, maybe it is the drug combo that they had Jason on?

That annoyed me, the first kind of interesting thing that happened in that whole kind of boring D.C. storyline and they never return to even just a quick scene of Jason slipping into his father's quarters and saying I have found out what the plan is. But we last saw Jason at like 8:48 and then nothing.

That whole story....I presume as part of the rescue mission next week that Miles and Rachel manage to kidnap Connor as well. How they get him all the way back to Willoughby (and impressive travel time to Aaron) willingly, who knows.

I think it is a bad sign that it was about an hour ago that I finally thought, oh, maybe this is the big bad of the rest of the season.
More+
Flag
I mean, why do they need to do mind control or whatever? People in general seem okay with the Patriots

Excellent point.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members