A Revolution Community
NBC (ended 2014)
If you want to hear how atrociously bad and boring this week’s episode of Revolution was, there are plenty of places to go commiserate on that topic: take an orange, and ‘git’. I’m not recapping so if you haven’t seen the episode or read a recap, this probably won’t make much sense.

Also, I am just going to suggest you don't read this. I am obviously 13 years old in my head because I enjoy this show so please disregard all my opinions.

While I was not overwhelmed with OMG! moments, I want to dish on my favorite/not-so-favorite characters.

MAGGOTS NOT NANOBORG SAVE MILES
Yeah, yeah, glad Miles is alive. More glad that it wasn’t Aaron and the Nanoborg that saved him. Preppers take note: start stockpiling maggots. Um. Yeah. (This is where I suggest, again, that anyone watching this show who expects any sort of ‘real perspective’ on what living in a post-apocalyptic world would be like needs to find the nearest clue stick and beat themselves bloody with it.)

MILES, MONROE & RACHEL or ROADTRIP TO MEXICO
(‘Cause seriously, this whole time- since S1E01, I’ve been like, “Uh, GO TO CANADA! DUH!” but Mexico works, too.)

Miles speech to Rachel about needing her along to keep him from falling off the lets-kill-everyone wagon? I’m choosing to see this as foreshadowing and not "really-disappointing-right-now". Yeah, I like it when Miles and Monroe get all “Butch & Sundance”. I'm okay with getting rid of Rachel if that is what it takes for Miles and Monroe to get back their groove. (Okay, I'm okay with getting rid of Rachel, period.)

What I HOPE: Rachel gets killed, Miles goes off the deep-end with Monroe and Connor(Terminator reference? Wha?) and they hack and slash their way back and forth across the continent for a few more seasons. Okay, not going to happen. (Well, who knows, cause this show is the embodiment of absolute chaos- which I love.)

More likely? Needed to separate our three amigos from Charlie and Aaron so we can get back to what Revolution does best- fighting-while-road-tripping. This is totally a post-apocalyptic buddy show.

Monroe looks awfully pleased about the guy leering at Rachel... Maybe ‘cause it pisses Miles off? Maybe because Monroe would be happy about anything that put a wedge between Miles and Rachel? Rachel was certainly ready to get rid of Monroe. Sounded a little jealous of the idea of Miles taking off with Monroe, too.

CONNOR or THE APPLE DOESN’T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE
Monroe finds his son in less than 5,000 episodes! WOOT! Seriously, enough said. It was predictable but I still liked it.

Now this makes sense to me: Monroe getting all fired up to take the Republic back for his son (for which he will, of course, need Miles(and Charlie)). (I wasn’t totally buying that Monroe would be willing to take on the Patriots just to get revenge for Philly- especially when flashbacks have shown from the get-go he was always in it for Miles.)

Anyone who has been wondering: WTH? Monroe doesn’t have anything to offer a kid, why is he even trying to find him? Ta-da! Asked, and ANSWERED. Why serve in Mexico when you can rule in the Monroe Republic?

(One little problem… uh, no Republic…)

MILES & MONROE
Now Monroe doesn’t have to fixate on Miles- but he will need Miles to get his Republic back. Monroe is, also, clearly pissed off at Miles- so now Miles is going to have to redeem himself to Monroe.

I think Miles 'doth protest too much', with regards to Monroe. Clearly, he says that they 'need' him, but really, he just *wants* him. They really do put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

CHARLIE & GRANDPA TRAITOR

Charlie has gotten above average at killing people. Gene’s horror/disbelief is a little bizarre. After all, he’s sorta the definition of morally-ambiguous-to-protect-his-ass-ets. Hypocritical there much, Grandpa?

Remember that whole “You’re a sociopath. You say what you need to get what you want…” campfire scene? LIKE YOU COULD FORGET! (I know you watched that scene back like 10 times. (Crap, did I just out myself?)) Charlie has swung on the hinge from being the opposite of Monroe/Miles to being an awful lot like them. After all, Monroe and Miles have shown consistently that they can compromise pretty much any-which-way to get crap done: Miles working with the Rebels to get to Danny/Monroe, Miles working with Texas-Ranger-Bobby, Monroe working with Miles in the Tower, Monroe *not* killing Charlie to get back to Miles… Charlie explanation to Gene about why she is not upset is pretty straight-up, “Stopped yelling at old people cause it doesn’t help get the job done.”

But is Charlie REALLY morally-ambiguous? I don’t think so. Someone has to stay a little decent, right? Okay, I totally don’t care, as long as there are ‘bad’ people for her to get her kill on with Miles and Monroe, I’m happy.

CHARLIE & CONNOR?

HELL. TO. THE. NO.

Don’t even try it! I know they are going to. I can see the stage being set already:

Connor: Abandoned by father
Charlie: Abandoned by mother

Connor: Really pissed off at father
Charlie: Really pissed off at mother

Connor: Father is a sociopath
Charlie: Mother is a sociopath

Connor: Weird triangulation with Miles and father
Charlie: Weird triangulation with Miles and mother

Connor: dead mother
Charlie: dead father (sorta, we think)

Connor: his father got Charlie’s dad killed
Charlie: her father?/surrogate father/soon-to-be-step-father-uncle/Miles got Connor’s mother killed

Connor has that all-pissed-off thing going on like Charlie had(please no more whining. can’t. take. it.) until she turned into a zen-Patriot-killing-machine. Clearly, Connor just needs some Patriots to whack on and somebody to say “I Love You” to him and all will be well.

ZOMG!!- maybe Connor is going to fall in love with Rachel? She needs a hug, he needs a hug… would work out so well.
…Then Miles will want to kill Connor, Rachel will (still) want to kill Monroe, Connor will want to kill Miles thus Charlie will want to kill Connor, Monroe will (still) want to kill everyone. See where this COULD go??!?

Whoa, sorry, no idea where that came from.

CHARLIE & MONROE

Yep. Pretty much nothing.

Worse than the almost complete lack of Charloe action, the writing for this episode clearly puts Charlie in the [KID] box while Rachel, Monroe & Miles are all in the [GROWN UP] box. Monroe says, “When Charlie grows up…”, Charlie is all “But Mom said to stay here!” and then Charlie’s ‘I stopped yelling at old people’ comment…

Not looking too promising, Charloe fans.

THE BIG REVEAL or AARON FINDS A NEW GIRLFRIEND
Aaron has a “Why Me, God/Nanoborg?” moment and out pops… GRACE BEAUMONT!?!?!
Oh, it’s Grace.

Yeah, whew. I about wet myself with excitement.
(That was sarcastic.)
(No. Really.)

TEAM NEVILLE or HERDING CATS IN THE WHITE HOUSE
Just do your evil stuff and get it done. PLEASE. None of the Neville clan are really moving me right now. I like Jason better when he’s got a little “gonna-kick-you-in-the-face-with-my-combat-boots” edge.

So, in the long run, if there is one, do we expect the resurrected Monroe Republic to go up against President Neville leading the Patriots? Wacky!

NO, NO SHE DIDN’T
Did Rachel really mention Danny AGAIN?

Okay, wow, this is long. Sorry. Just remember, I actually urged you not to read this.
Thoughts? Comments?
50 Comments
Comments (45)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Loved the review. I agree with most of what you said go mile and Bas reunion kill every one yehhhhhh. I kind of want to see if Conner and Charlie could work. And Rachel is a bad mum she sucks she always gets in the way of mile and Bas having there bromance I wouldn't care if something tragic happened to her not one bit. The Charlie killing people thing gramps needs to get over it and just let her go she still has her humanity and isn't a complete nutter like her mum she just gets shit done.
Flag
I think they will try Connor and Charlie. I am very interested to see how their chemistry is... who knows?

LOL. I did like it when Miles got between Rachel and Monroe when he came to Willoughby. I just want to say, also, Rachel is probably the least favorite of the gang but I do think the actress that plays her does well, given the character she has to portray. She is def. crazy. :) I'm interested to see, too, what happens when it comes down to Miles having to choose between her and Monroe.
Flag
I am a fan of Revolution,I love to sit down and watch it and forget real life and not over think the show.I can save that for when SVU comes on afterward.So I'm just along for the adventure,fun,fighting and great lines that is Revolution.I would rather have had Charlie in Mexico,as well,so much more potential for story with Monroe,Miles and Conner.I wish they would get rid of Rachel and give Miles a woman with some fire in her,which is why killing Nora was a mistake.
Flag
I know. I miss Nora. I'm not sure she and Miles had the best chemistry but it was better than how things are now. I'd like to see Miles with someone that he actually has some good chemistry with.
Flag
I would,as well.
Flag
thank you so much, I read the 1st paragraph now Im gittin.. and now because I think that is one of the dumbest things I ever read I will never read another word you write...thanks for the warning
Flag
I watched the season 2 premiere and then I stopped watching. Now I think I really need to catch up.
Flag
Has any viewer kept track of how many people Charlie has killed? Just curious.
Flag
Alot
Flag
I'd be interested in this. I remember in Season 1, Miles acted all surprised when Charlie killed someone he was fighting on the conscription ship. BUT, I remember she killed a militia soldier w/ her crossbow at the hotel in S1E01.
Flag
They may need some goodie goodies on their side, because it is fast starting to look like a gang of sociopaths where anyone who is not one either dies, leaves, or becomes a sociopath, and frankly the bad guys have a hard time keeping up. Don't get me wrong i like shows in the gray zone but their group probably has the most successful serial killers in the country.

Btw what was in that orange, is it hardcore drugs ?
Flag
Good point. If you're going to take down the 'bad guys' you might want to try not being a *worse* bad guy.

The oranges are a question- Alot of people have suggested they are injecting them with a cocktail like the one Jason got, so they can 'reshape' society. One thing I wondered about- maybe it is some sort of virus or drug that will kill the weak and the old(or maybe I've been watching too much Helix?)? Whatever it is... don't drink the orange juice in Willoughby!
Flag
Although I do not agree with you on everything you write, I think it's great that you write a review of the episode. So many other just complain and you write about the things you like in a nice way. Thumbs up!
Flag
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback! Of course.. I also love to hear what you disagree about... :)
Flag
I do not think I should do that. I've commented enough in the reviews and it's a combination of things. I also think that season 2 is better then season 1 and I'm still watching. I wouldn't if I wouldn't think I get something out of it. That's why I tend to watch it partly as a comedy to be honest. One thing I can say is that I like series to be a bit correct in the way they either treat science or circumstances and Revolution really did not take us serious in (at least) season 1. But I will only make a bit of a joke (as I f.i. also will do with POI that is my favourite show at the moment) and I will never bash it.
Flag
I think season 2 is waaaay better than season 1. The faulty science was a little annoying until they pretty much threw it away. It is easier to get on board, imho, when you concede that this is science FICTION. I love POI, too!

I'm okay with people bashing stuff, I just get tired of hearing people say how lame and boring a show is(that they obviously watched)- and people get a little too serious/intense about it. I watch tv to relax and have fun with friends/family. For me, Revolution is a fun show! I like to watch stuff that makes me laugh and where the characters have a little chemistry or are interesting. :)
Flag
I nearly screamed when Miles and Rachel had that conversation about how Rachel needs to come on the trip, to keep Miles from his darker instincts. 1) Rachel is unstable 2) she hates Bass 3) When has Rachel EVER had influenced Miles for the better?

Gee if only there was a trained soldier, who works well with Bass, and had an excellent track record for keeping Miles on the straight and narrow...OH WAIT CHARLIE! Why the writers would choose to deny us this opportunity for Charloe is beyond me.
Flag
!!! TOTALLY !!! Right? One of my favorite moments of this episode was Miles telling Rachel, "Oh, stop making this about you!" Bingo.

So, why not capitalize on the Charloe opportunity? One thought was that this episode might have been written/shot/produced before Charloe had gained so much traction? I don't think Charloe was *intended*- and still might not be, beyond the tease/nod-to-fans- but it is undeniable that Monroe and Charlie have a really intense dynamic and lots of chemistry(romantic or not). I expect to see more in future episodes, but there is usually a lag between trends with the audience and seeing a show reflect those trends (if they ever even consider those metrics). (I might have, at one point, worked for a very large marketing company that is quite famous for actually measuring television viewing trends... ;) )
Flag
there was an interview with one of the writers after the mid season finale in which he said they never intended Charloe but were also blown away by the chemistry so they might follow up on it. I am no a fan of Charloe, because I think it's too weird, but it would have been interesting to see how Miles, Monroe and Charlie go on a roadtrip. How would Miles react to the chemistry between Monroe and Charlie. The writers seem to want us to sell the Miles/Rachel thing which makes no sense at all to me. I know there are fans who totally eat this story line up, but why would Rachel forgive Miles for keeping her away from her kids for years, but keep blaming Monroe for indirectly killing her son..oh and anybody else notice she is still wearing her wedding ring but otherwise seems to have forgotten she was ever married to Miles' brother? Sorry, I just can't stand Rachel and her weird sense of self-righteousness. To me, her one purpose on the show was her scientific background, but with Aaron going off by himself to go after the nano-bites, she really lost all purpose on the show.
Jennifer, totally agree with your point 3..she makes him weak and I feel if the writers pursue with this relationship, they will ruin Miles' interesting character.
More +
Flag
Loved your review and agree with everything, especially in regards to Rachel. Would love to see Miles become a more complex character again and turn back to his badass, anti-hero ways. I may be the only one, but I was thrilled when Monroe mentioned building up his empire again....I loved him being the bad guy
Flag
As far as I'm concerned Monroe is faking his desire to rebuild the Republic. Monroe never wanted to be a dictator. In the Season 1 finale he says as much to Miles. In 2x02 he tells the hooker getting punched in the face every night is "better than my old job." His first encounter with Conner, he tell him that the road he is on leads no where. He doesn't want to be General Monroe again, and more importantly he doesn't want that for his son. Monroe WILL "say what (he) needs to get what (he) wants," and in this case that means appealing to Conner's appetite for power. He wants to get Conner out of the thug life ASAP and into the bosom of the Matheson clan.
Flag
Hrm. Spot on. I hadn't even thought of that. Monroe is def. good at manipulating people and circumstances. He clearly wants Connor out of Mexico. Also, he pointed out the logical fallacy of Rachel saying 'there is no way Connor could have been anything BUT a thug with Monroe's blood running through him' THEN turns right around and not only seems to buy into it but sell it to Connor.

Good pick-up! One thing I've always liked about Monroe's character is that he is absolutely unpredictable from a moral standpoint, but pretty consistent at doing what is best for Monroe.
Flag
You were not the only one! I know alot of people were seriously underwhelmed with this episode but Monroe getting some real motivation (beyond his teary-eyed devotion to Miles) to rebuild the Republic seems pretty essential.

I would love to see Miles have to actually deal with his 'darker side', beyond ranting at Charlie about how he's not 'that guy' anymore(the nice one). Cause, actually, he sorta IS that guy again. He and Rachel were way more interesting as a couple when there was that love/hate dynamic.

I love villainous Monroe, too! I want him back in action!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members