A Revolution Community
NBC (ended 2014)

Revolution S02E10: "The Three Amigos"

Well that was quite another episode of As the World Turns in Revolutions, wasn't it? Forget the power outages, pyrokinesis, militias with poor aim, and Charlie's luscious caterpillar lips—as a way of anchoring its sci-fi premise to the real world, Revolution has always touted itself as being about family. Miles and Ben. Rachel and Ben. Charlie and Rachel. Rachel and Miles. Charlie and Miles. Tom and Jason. Dead Danny and the rest of the Mathesons. The brotherhood between Miles and Monroe. Grandpa Gene and his extraordinarily complex but entirely bland relationship with Rachel. And now Monroe and his long-lost son, the Whitest Mexican in Mexico. These family trees are becoming a forest, but I'd rather they all get cleared for a parking lot.

After more than a year of letting Revolution's tiring family drama glide by, the dam has broken; I'm entirely sick of the infighting and arguing among family and group members that the show relies on for drama. Contrary to its title, there was nothing friendly about "The Three Amigos," an incredibly boring and suspense-free episode. Tom assaulted his wife after she chastised him for not murdering someone. Rachel went into full-on bitch mode with Monroe (and the bitchiness was returned) after Miles somehow convinced her to help him find his son. (Miles' argument: Bad things like people dying happen when it's just him and Monroe, and for some reason he still thinks the group needs Monroe.) And Monroe finally met his kid, and the two acted as though they'd just stepped on each other's brand-new Air Jordans. Why is everyone such a dick on this show?

It's exhausting! And more importantly, it's not at all fun to watch. The soap-opera approach of shoveling more and more shit onto character relationships works for soaps because soaps are garbage. Revolution links progress with an increase in obstacles and tension in relationships, and for some reason it equates obstacles and tension with longstanding anger and grudges. I understand that Rachel is still pissed at Monroe for his role in Danny's death (though to be fair, standing out in the open in front of a military helicopter kinda falls on Danny), but her endless harping on it does nothing to make Revolution any more enjoyable. Although maybe we should side with Rachel, because there's still no convincing reason that a goddamn lunatic like Monroe should be part of this group in the first place. The second he made the executive decision to kill Jim Beaver's Marshal Whatshisface should've counted as strikes one, two, and three. But in the end, it doesn't really matter because neither of these characters is likable; if they were, their squabble would be more palatable. Instead, I feel like I'm in the middle of a unending fight between two people I don't want to hang out with anyway, and I can't think of many things less interesting than that. 

I'm also tired of various group members' incessant need to ostracize themselves and strike out on their own, either for personal missions or just so they can be alone, and, you know, sigh. At various points since the beginning of the series, Rachel has gone solo, Miles has gone solo, Charlie has gone solo, Monroe has gone solo, and Aaron has gone solo (and he did so again in this episode). I can understand some of the headstrong characters needing some "me time"; Charlie's early Season 2 walkabout made a lot of sense to me. But would a pussy like Aaron really take off all by his lonesome? In a lawless world without power or modern conveniences, would anyone really want to be on their own? If Revolution is all about family, why are people always abandoning their kin (whether they're related by blood or by circumstance)? And just to make things even more confusing, family is also the reason they eventually return.

And family was the reason the so-called Three Amigos charted a course toward Mexico, as we dive into what actually happened in the episode. Making good on his promise to tell Monroe where his long-lost son was, Miles grabbed a reluctant Rachel (I guess because she's the only one who knows Spanish; also, Rachel's white-girl Spanish is el-oh-el) and they hoofed on down south of the border. And it was ridiculous. In Revolution's post-apocalyptic world, Mexico somehow kept itself together a lot better than America, and now Americans are hovering on the Tex-Mex border looking for day-labor jobs and fighting over the right to pick strawberries. 

¡Holy caca! I laughed a lot at all of this. I suspect the writers' did it with a wink, even though it didn't make any sense. No disrespect to the wonderful country of Mexico, but this ain't happening in this post-apocalyptic world. If Mexicans were so well-off that farmers had to find day-laborers in the U.S., then we would've seen some opulence in Mexico. But nope, it was more of the same dusty trails and dirty clothes that bogged down the rest of the world (except fashion-forward Atlanta). In a post-apocalyptic society where everyone has been blasted back a dozen decades, is there no available Mexican workforce that would take these jobs at the same rate? No one is doing well in this universe. I love the idea of an economic switcheroo between Mexico and the U.S., but Revolution should be in the business of real world-building; its setting is a big part of the show, and this felt like parody. 

ANYWAY, Rachel told the farmers she'd do anything (ANYTHING WINK WINK) to get the job even though the wagon was full, and the dude said okay, and then Rachel said btw these two men are with me, and the dude still said okay (?) and everyone made it through. Then they hijacked the wagon, beat up the Mexicans, and left a bunch of Americans stranded in the Mexican desert to "live the Mexican dream." (That line was genuinely funny.) What a bunch of jerks. And after all these dead-ends searching for Monroe's son's aunt and uncle who were looking after him, how did they find the kid? They randomly bumped into him at a bar. Then Monroe and Connor (that's his name) bumped chests and accomplished nothing. Seriously, they called each other names and at some point Connor just walked away, only for Monroe to find him later to give him a dad talk that went something like: "No son of mine is going to be a two-bit thug in Mexico, he's going to be a two-bit tyrannical leader of the giant army I'll pass to him! Oh by the way, I don't have an army."   

The other big chunk of the episode followed Tom, Jason, and Julia moving among the Patriots. Tom and Jason have been in their own story for so long, it almost feels like a separate show, and a show that doesn't seem important. What IS Tom doing? He infiltrated the Patriots to get them back for vaporizing his wife with bombs (spoiler: she's okay), and now he's slowly moving up the ranks of the Patriots to get back at them and into the old routine of power-coupling with Julia? Is he really going to try to take the Oval Office by killing everyone who's in line in front of him? Is Tom the next Frank Underwood from House of Cards? Tom's journey needs to link back up with Miles, Charlie, and the rest of the gang, or Tom's in danger of flying out of orbit and becoming the star of an entirely different program. 

Also, Aaron didn't set anything on fire. Boo.

"The Three Amigos" was a dismal effort from Revolution, especially for a return-from-break episode. We're now at the halfway point of Season 2, and the show is struggling to find direction. Though a trip down to Mexico was entertaining, it's taking Season 2 of Revolution away from focusing on a sense of identity and relying on the same old ingroup bickering that makes this series such a chore to get through. Stop fighting, people! It was bad enough when Sam and Dean did it all the time in Kripke's other show. But at least Sam and Dean had some good times together. Can't these guys sit back and have a smile for once?

POWER LINES

– The episode's big cliffhanger was Grace showing up in the town that Aaron's imaginary child friend told him to visit. Composer Michael Giacchino's strings tried their best to make it a WOW moment, but it was only worth an, "Oh, her again." Maybe Giacchino should use a slide whistle and a novelty spring that makes a big BOING! sound for his Revolution scoring instead.

– The other big last-second tease? The Patriots in Willoughby are poisoning oranges! With what, I don't know. Mind control? Roofies? Artificial flavoring? It's unclear. And because no one we care about lives in Willoughby anymore, who cares? Did I miss something?

– Pretty cool that someone had a bowl of maggots laying around for Gene's surgery on Miles. And if Gene can clear up Miles' infection that easily, should we be scared of any grievous injury in this show? People get hurt—they die, even—and then there are no repercussions.

– Monroe, upon seeing the crappy town his son was supposedly taken to: "You brought my son here, Miles? Nice, what did you do, buy him a handjob and an eight ball?" Please, Miles would at least spring for a blowjob. 

– This whole secret-society stamp thing (that Jason found on that pouch) is a really piss-poor way of staying secret.

– Good god the writing in this show! Let's consider the hunt for Monroe's son and the big poisoning plan to kill the chief of staff; both plots devoted a good amount of time to setting up specific entry points, finding Connor's aunt and uncle was supposed to lead the group to Connor, and Tom and Julia's big plan to kill the chief was to poison his drink at a mixer. Neither plan panned out, but both goals were still accomplished in the clunkiest of ways. Monroe randomly found Connor at a bar, and Tom just assaulted the chief in a bathroom. What was the point of the plans except to stall for time to stretch out the episode? There's way too much fat in this show.

– Apologies for not finishing a review of Revolution's mid-season finale on November 21. I was all ready to write one up and then next thing I knew I became a dad instead. As much as I wanted to pound out 500 words on #Charloe, this new little squirt took priority. She's doing great and I'm having a blast being a dad. 

– Starting with next week's review, you'll notice that these Revolution writeups will be shorter. It's a combination of the old saying, "If you can't say anything nice..." and not really having much to say about a floundering show in the first place. I hate discontinuing coverage of a series in the middle of a season, so I discussed the predicament with my lovely editor Jen and we decided that quicker, more concise reviews are the way to go moving forward. It's either that or abandon them altogether. For now, they'll still be a place on TV.com to discuss Revolution episodes if you're still into the show. 

What'd you think of "The Three Amigos"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2014

Season 2 : Episode 22

101 Comments
Comments (101)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I thought it would have been an awesome twist if Miles was so reluctant to tell Monroe about his son because his son was actually Danny who had been given to Rachel and Ben to raise!

Flag
&I; was all ready to write one up and then next thing I knew I became a dad
&instead.;

If only you were in the middle of reviewing this episode instead you could have shipped her down to Mexico for a TV.com Revolution tie-in!
Flag
The search to find Monroe son sucks, I hope this plot move on, let's return to the patriots threat. I agree with you Tim.
Flag
I'll give this episode a little credit, at least they didn't find a tunnel under the Mexican wall, lol. Hey, they could have had them hallucinate some imaginary gremlins while they were there. I kept looking for TWD's guvnor' to show up as the real leader of the Patriots in Willoughby too. It would be just like him to be poisoning the oranges.
Flag
A tunnel would have been a good idea actually!
Flag
That's what I don't get about a wall. With no electric lights, night vision goggles, motion sensors, and barely any bullets, how hard can it be to get over the wall at night?
Flag
Well in Revolution it is impossible. I mean sure in real life they tunnel under the border all the time. But in revolution using a shovel is way too complex.
Flag
I agree with those saying there's no way Bass' kid could be 25; 20 maybe - if Bass and Miles' girlfriend were 15 when they had him and they were, say, 38 now; he could be a max of 23; 25 only if they're 40. Revolution should find a way to shave a few years off the kid and take Bass' age down a bit, or make out this guy is lying and the real son arrives at the right age to be believable. Especially if the writers are genuinely trying to push a Barlie (or whatever name they're using) on us.

As for the Nevilles - KILL THEM ALREADY. In all honesty, death is too good for them as they're so boring, but I'll take it over being stuck with them. Tom Neville is just an episode away from twirling an imaginary moustache, his wife thinks she's revolution's answer to Jessica Rabbit (not even close; more like bunny boiler) and Jason is resembling the Terminator more with every passing episode. Just kill them so I don't constantly have to fight the urge to stick hot needles in my eyes every time they're on screen.

Giancarolo Esposito is a truly brilliant actor who is wasted with this monstrosity of a character. Either make the storyline better for him or KILL NEVILLE. I'm serious here; you wouldn't make a little bunny rabbit suffer like this would you?

Still, this season of Revolution is still doing okay I think; just a few plotholes that need bunging up and they're good to go.

More+
Flag
It's not Jessica Rabbit; I think there's a big Macbeth/Lady Macbeth thing going on.
Flag
Connor should be about 25- Let's say that Bass and Emma are 18 when they have baby Connor in 2002. This works because supposedly Bass and Miles are Iraq War vets-- so they leave high school in 2001-- Join the Corps in the summer and baby Connor is born early 2002. Now this war lasted 9 years. They are stationed in Camp Lajuene in 2012 early 2013 when the power goes out. Connor is now 10. Add 15 years to Connor's age now and he's 25 going on 26. The year is 2028. So the math works. The real problem is the age of Miles and Bass. They need to be 45 years old exactly.
Flag
I think that's the main problem - the age of Bass. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but as the writers are now keen to push a 'Barlie' romance then having him be that age with a son who is older than her by around 2 years is never going to sit well with anyone.

I think they need to find a way to ditch this 'son' and get him another, much younger one to make this whole thing believable. it'd be easy enough; they could make Connor a pretender because he wants to be the leader of the new munroe republic, even have him be an orphan wanting a family too -make him more like Bass in that way.

They could then get rid of him by having him try and kill Charlie, Bass kills him to save her (thereby leading into the 'romance') - then real son shows up......probably aged around 18/19. About Danny's age - giving Rachel ideas on how to pay Bass back with interest considering her favourite child died at his hand at about that age.

Not the best scenario admittedly, but I think it'd work better than the mess they're currently stuck with.
More +
Flag
Well why doesn't Bass have I don't know multiple kids in this contraception free era? This man should have baby-mamas all over the place. If Connor doesn't work out he should have 5-6 more real sons within the ex-Monroe Republic borders. Still, I would like it to be less Jerry Springer and more Big Red One if you ask me.
Flag
He might have - we don't know do we? there could be Bassy's running about all over the place. Plot device for the future I bet. :)
Flag
Sorry Surette but whilst, from what you're implying, your family life is like an episode of 'Leave it to Beaver', the rest of us have darker issues to deal with and this episode felt just like home. For instance I know, without a shadow of a doubt that, given the physical capabilities (she's 90) and the tools to succeed, my Mother-in-Law (ever after known as MiL) would happily, with a song in her heart and a smile on her lips, kill me in the most painful way possible. I know this with such certainty because she starts every sentence to me with the immortal words "I hate you....."

This is not just her age either, she's been doing this almost since the day we met. Likewise I don't like her much either - I don't plan on killing her.......well, not all the time; but I am not going to be heartbroken when she finally does shuffle of this mortal coil.

My Father-in-Law (now known as FiL) was the same. I told him I'd go dance on his grave in a red dress (I got that line from the movie, 'Moonlight') before he made me and his son divorce. Well, he was cremated and I have arthritis; so nothing to dance on, no ability to dance and my poor husband (caught in the middle) begged me not to wear said red dress to the FiL's funeral.

BUT I had promised the FiL - a big thing in my family - and so I had to honour that vow. So, the day before the funeral my husband returned from work to find me getting dinner in the kitchen with hair the colour of the brightest red stop light ever created - I am not kidding, it almost glowed it was so red (home dyes do work people!). In the end it raised only a few eyebrows at the funeral because everyone else knew what an old b......bugger that man was (the FiL, not my husband; who's wonderful).

So Surette, for those of us coping with such insane family dynamics, 'Three Amigos' was scarily close to the mark - good for you in your 'Leave it to Beaver' world; but for the rest of us, 'Revolution' is still good because it's on the mark with real family dynamics. Another thing to remember is as our family trees get more complicated with changing relationships - divorces, step parents, step sibilings, step other relatives and often more than one lot - then of course those dynamics (at least for the rest of us) become increasingly insanely hard to deal with. Revolution nailed it.

But I do agree with those saying there's no way Bass' kid could be 25; 20 maybe - if Bass and Miles' girlfriend were 15 when they had him and they were, say, 38 now; he could be a max of 23; 25 only if they're 40. Revolution should find a way to shave a few years off or make out this guy is lying and the real son arrives at the right age. Especially if the writers are genuinely trying to push a Barlie on us.
More+
Flag
Well, I enjoy the laid-back style of your reviews. I don't agree with all of it, but it's clear you hate it. I have long been excited for this show to reach what it could be. So, I stick around , try not to over analyze and enjoy it for what it is. Monroe has been the best part, the Bass-Miles duo is magnetic. Charlie went from super annoying to badass chick; the opening episode was just what she needed, on her own, nailing a guy at the bar, bleeding people out; grit her up a bit. Her, Miles, and Monroe could be the main cast.

Unlike the others, the Aaron plot does nothing for me, but remind me how this show has no idea who it is. SO much potential. I liked Three Amigos, comedy was stepped up, lots of Bass, who sparks the screen, and it falls flat when he's not in it. Yes there were holes. Connor is 25!!!!???? Come the hell on. David Lyons is 36, and looks a good 10 years younger than Miles. Hence the Charloe movement. They have major chem, something this show NEEDS, Tom and Kim Raver, what is that exactly? But the plot holes like age, (come on Charlie is a good 25) kill it. CW's Arrow and Revolution started out same level, but Arrow has nailed this season; they know who they are and we feel good about them taking us there. Krimpke seems like he needs adderall...

I'll keep watching, if anything just to see David Lyons.
More+
Flag
http://revolutiontvshow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=930#.Us9lk_bhGes
Flag
Actually the "telenovela" I'm tired of is Tim's ambivalence whether or not he should cover a show he doesn't like and all the drama that ensues. And seriously if Revolution was a Hispanic telenovela, it would deal with romantic entanglements, couples in love and someone evil trying to separate them. So, apart from the Spanish title, the comparison is a poor joke.

That being said, I don't think that was a very good episode. It was more of a transition episode in which they decided to explore the not-so-fortunate Monroe's son's story line, and used that as an excuse to move the characters to Mexico, where, I hope, something interesting will actually happen. But in network shows with long seasons (22, 23 eps), filler episodes are normal, so I don't think it's the time of making any drama out of it yet. But I admit to see Tim's reaction if Revolution gets renewed for a third season and he gets charged with reviewing it as well.
Flag
Read his 'on the night' oscars review - it's beyond bad; it's so terrible it's not even funny. Sadly if there's no fart jokes, blokes going on about how awful women are to them, vomit and drinking involved I don't think he really 'gets' it. The Grammy's review (by another writer here) was hysterical - I actually got told off by my husband because I woke him laughing at it (it was the middle of the night - my insomnia sucks). Sadly Surette's obvious attempt to copy it for the oscars failed......epicly.

To be honest I'd rather no one reviewed this show than him - his reviews annoy the hell out of me, so I usually avoid them. Where he has proven useful is if there's a new show around - if he likes it, I usually loathe it; if he loathes it, then I usually love it. So on that score he's useful I suppose......I just remain shocked he gets PAID for these 'reviews' (and I use that term loosely).
Flag
I think it's setting up lots of things. Tom going from wanting to destroy the Patriots to becoming their new leader. Monroe also reverting true to form and wanting to build a new army to take back his Republic. Then there's the newly-sentient nanites as an unpredictable third party. Of course, there's still our heroes in the middle of everything, constantly faced with insurmountable odds. I still think there's a lot of potential for some good stories here.
Flag
I agree this pseudo-drama of "why, oh , why do I review these episodes any more" is about is well crafted as the story itself. I think it is irrelevant to the fact that Tim's reviews are little more than book-reports with profanity. The fact is these reviews need more depth and insight in them be it praising the show or admonishing it for being duller than a day with a retarded monkey...
Flag
&I; agree this pseudo-drama of "why, oh , why do I review these episodes any
&more;" is about is well crafted as the story itself.

But nobody's getting punched in the face in these reviews. :-(
Flag
You call that dull?!
Flag
I have little Patience for Wild Life...
Flag
I like the "book reports with profanity." Anyway, the fact is the show, good or bad, will exist without the reviews. I just wonder how much impact these reviews really have considering the show's audience is measured in millions.
Flag
I don't know if the reviews have an impact at all, my point was at least try to get some deeper insight into the show. I mean why is it that this show cannot handle racial, ethnic or even sexual based orientation violence but it repeatedly has male-violence on female characters as an acceptable norm. It is sort of like why is it okay for prime time tv to promote sexual harassment of women as comedy e.g. House, but if a person says a racial slur people will be up in arms about it and say how bad it is. That to me is an interesting value we hold in our culture.
Flag
As for Aaron's solo trip, come one, apocalypse or no apocalypse, wouldn't you do just about anything to go see the second largest ball of string in the world? I know I would!
Flag
I would, it's just gone on my bucket list. :)
Flag
Right after I go and see the biggest frying pan and of course the world's largest free standing car tower.
Flag
Oh my GOD! There's a free standing tower of cars?! Where?! I demand to know - Lord but my bucket list is suddenly growing. ;) What about chocolate? Anything in the chocolate arena?
Flag
Dull episode and the only lasting image I took from it was Rachel's seemingly constant smirk.
The irony of the wall was not lost on me though.
More episodes like this and the chances of a third season will probably be low - and no amount of shipping a man in his 40's with a girl who is supposed to be younger than his son will save it.
Flag
Uh, he's 36.
Flag
I thought his character was older as he has a son who is 25 in the show
Flag
BUt with that said, that is why people may like the Charloe duo, both young and attractive and roughly 10 years a part. But, most shows are, Arrow's popular Olicity is, Miles' girlfriend he had last year, who he had zero chem with, she was in her 20's. They've mucked it up.
Flag
Yea that is one of the MAJOR plot holes. MAJOR. They have made him 10+ years older than he really is. It doesn't work. He looks younger than Miles, cause he is. THey've made Charlie like 23, which is fine, cause Rachel and Miles are in mid-40's. SHe looks mid 20's. THey are driving me nuts with this inattention to the obvious.
Flag
I don't care how stupid this show gets, so long as Gus Fring keeps on Fringing!
Flag
Was anyone else thinking, "Join me an we can rule the galaxy as father and son."
Flag
Good point! I think we could see a dichotomy here... Miles and Connor team up to rebuild the Monroe Republic while Jason seeks to stop the Patriots that his father now wants to lead. Eventually those two will clash. Where our heroes and our nanites will be I have no idea.
Flag
Kinda got hit over the head with that one!
Flag
Calling this a review is calling a 3rd grade book report insightful. Actually this review missed to important things: 1) Why is it the show up to this point has been running with the idea that Monroe of the present is a product four basic factors: a jealous personality, a fear of losing people close to him, PTSD, and a need to compete with Miles in just about everything. 2) That some over arching important mystery exists that defines and is driving the entire scenario we see before us-- a mystery I might ad they sort of answered already in season one , but now have resurrected only to drag it out so interminably long that it is nearly impossible to care about it any more. In the last 10 episodes they've not even given us a hint as to what the ultimate reason for this Coup D'etate was in the first place. Instead they pack on and on more needless and moronically conceived mystery factors; 3) The writers have no concocted this idea that "FATE AND DESTINY" are the key factors in human development--Miles' daughter ( we all Know CHARLIE IS MILES' OFFSPRING) is a killer because of Miles and Sebastian's son Connor Monroe is a two-bit dictator because of his Daddy's bad genes. This is well both idiotic since we all know environment plays so much in a child's development and not to mention male's only contribute 50% of their DNA material to the offspring meaning that a female provides the other 50% of the DNA material for an offspring's genome-- so why would the clear implication be that any child should have only the traits of one parent? People tend to see the traits in their offsprings they dislike in themselves or their spouse-- but usually an offspring will show habits and traits of both parents! 4) how is it that Charlie has gone from not wanting to kill needless people to slicing and dicing with the best of them? And 5) why would Miles only take Connor away? Why wouldn't he take the mother and the child so that both the town and child would be safe from any Monroe reprisal??? This part makes no sense, Monroe would just find some person in the town that is important to Emma and use that person or those persons to force Emma to tell him the location of his son!

This show has gone from absolutely stupid to PASS BONG BOYS I'M GETTING MY WEED ON!
More+
Flag
You decided that quicker, more concise reviews are the way to go? Why the hell do you think we come here?
Flag
Did Aaron just walk from Texas to Oklahoma in a week?
Flag
You must've missed the episode where they stumbled upon the relocated Large Hadron Collider and Aaron, with the help of the Nanoborg, got it up and running and figured out how to open a wormhole from Willoughby to out Grace Beaumont's butt. I think there were monkeys, too, flying ones. It was cool. ;)
Flag
He wanted to lose some weight, so he jogged a fair bit of it. ;)
Flag
He ran some, so he actually did it in 2 days!
Flag
I know the states border but they sure move fast
Flag
Well Aaron has been doing a lot of cardio lately so you know he is way better shape than last season!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Grantes, this is the only review I've read, but this is damn accurate. After its best episode in 2.09, they follow it up with that? I quit this show after 2.01, and somehow got myself back into it. Another piece of crap like that, and I quit for go
Flag
I love this show...but this episode sucked. I don't care about Bass unless he's being funny or sword fighting with Miles. I don't care about Tom and find that storyline annoy either get rid of them or put them back together. Really don't care about the patriots.
Go back to nanites or saving Danny -At least season 1 had a vision!

Also....what is going on with Miles and Rachel?! Would it kill the show to add a tiny bit of romance or something?
Flag
So it takes 10 episodes for you to come around that Revolution is still garbage and should be mocked and NOW we get shorter reviews? Booo :(

Making fun of the Revolution's lunacy is half the fun...okay, it's all of the fun
Flag
No, the fun is watching it implode and listening to Kripke and his gang of producers give interviews in the trade mags about it.

Remember this season is the season of Mystery!
Flag
Implosion would required expansion and the 1 or 2 decent episodes (by comparison only) to start the season weren't enough for me to buy into the idea the show was gaining momentum. This series, from the get go, has been crap. It's been fun crap, but completely unintentional.

I'd almost want it to get renewed for a third and fourth season just to see how absurd it can get. But networks being what they are, they'd probably take that as a sign of what the viewer wants and green light other like shows. Aside from all of the decent shows that never got a shot...there's only so much room for stupid in any given TV schedule.
Flag
Well, actually I think the show's premise is an interesting one. I agree that this series has never handled the idea well at all. However, I think if we go from the fact that it had roughly 11 million viewers its first episode to about 4.9 to 6.3 million now the idea is collapsing in on itself from its original debut. Its inflationary period occurred in the first two weeks. After that it is been a slow and agonizing death from needless mysteries, poor direction, pointless subplots, and bad science.

Still I agree with you I want to see a third, fourth, and fifth season. I want a Charlie/Bass Love Child in season 3!
Flag
so I guess there are no urban areas in the revolution world? They roll into Washington DC and it looks like a plantation. If the visuals were better this show could get by with the so so storytelling.
Flag
Most originally urban areas died off; they mentioned this in the pilot. Urban areas depend on an efficient supply chain and transportation of goods. No trucks, no boats, no planes... no cargo in or out. No open land to grow food. As they mentioned in the pilot, the only change for survival was getting out to open/wilderness areas.
Flag
I'm still watching this show because of what it could have been. Thanks for sticking with us, Tim! And congrats on the baby.
Flag
Something I didn't understand, although it is Revolution logic, is why they would choose a spot with armed guards and a barrier to cross over to Mexico. Now that societies have collapsed, there must be enough paces to cross without any problem.
Flag
Because those wiley Mexicans built a bigger and better wall with no power than any wall or fence we've built so far! I want to know why they just didn't wait until night and climb the Wall with grappling hook and rope???
Flag
Although I still do not care for the most of the characters, I've developed a little place in my heart for Charlie. Last season I just wanted to smack her in the face, this year I have other things in mind.
Flag
I feel the same about munroe - not least because, being completely bats**t crazy this season, he has a LOT of very good lines and he's very nice to look at! Oh yeah...... ;)
Flag
There also is the possibility that Julia just uses Tom to get her present husband to become president. at least that gives some things to think about. Loved the Gus moment Tom had: 'Just so you know, once we get what we want,I am going to take a knife, and I am going to gut that Chief of Staff husband of yours.' But, that's not a good reason to watch.
Flag
I agree. And Jason might not go along with either of them and will probably want to take down the Patriots. At the end of the last season I believe Aaron was speculating about some kind of back door into the nanite code; maybe these Patriots plotted the nanite collapse of civilization? Will Monroe rebuild in Mexico and ultimately clash with a Tom-led Patriots? Which side would our heroes be on? What will the nanites choose to do? There's still a great deal of potential in this show.
Flag
All good idaes! We're five episodes further by now (but you probably haven't seen them yet) and lot's of your questions have been answered.
Flag
Thanks for the heads up - and the lack of spoilers! :-) Yes I'm a few episodes behind.
Flag
Well, you finally convinced Jen to let you off the Revolution hook, Tim - congratulation, man.
Flag
CONGRATS!
Flag
Well, sorry to say, but as I started reading this post I couldn't get through the whole thing, much like this season's episodes. I think I stopped after episode 4 and have the rest collected in my dvr. And after this review, as I had the feeling, this season isn't going in the direction I was hoping. So I think I'm going to cut my losses now and not waste my time. I have a feeling this show will not make it to a season 3. And congrats on your new arrival Tim!
Flag
Revolution still has a lot of kinks but it is definitely an improvement on season one. Having said that there are still too many plot holes. Not only did they find a mess of maggots, Miles was nearly at death's door with sepsis and Dock Gene cuts into his blue lined arm and no pus just dark blood. Special maggots can be used to treat festering wounds but what they do is debride wounds of dead tissue and where did he get the magical antibiotics. Even if he did have some hidden away, sepsis can't be cured that easily. Miles certainly should not have been able to ride off to Mexico so soon.

Texas must have gotten smaller. Aaron walked to Oklahoma and Miles, Monroe, and Rachel headed out on horseback and said they would be back in a week. It didn't seem like all that much time had passed when Gene and Charlie searched for Aaron.

As for the plot. The most interesting arc has been Aaron and the nanites. My least favorite story is the patriots, I wish Aaron had just told the nanites to just burn every patriot on the planet and then at least it would be over.
More+
Flag
It shrunk from global cooling-- you know like a bridge in winter! It is now 500 miles smaller than today's Globally Warmed Bloated Form!
Flag
Terrible episode, but on the up side, CONTRATULATIONS, TIM!
Flag
Must join the patriots... Must join the patriots... Revolution is the best show of the year... Sorry, I just ate an orange and feel strange.
Flag
It is very interesting reading this review, thanks Tim.
I'm happy I quit watching this show after episode 3 this season. I even wonder how I went through all season one with all the garbage: perhaps because I thought there was hope for a great show. In any case, Tim, congrats for your baby !
Flag
This show is just bad. Let it die already.
Flag
The D.C. stuff is pretty crappy, but I like Mexico because of the scenes between Monroe and Myles, and I'm really interested in Aaron now. Feels a lot like the scene in The Stand where Gary Sinise met the blond guy from Coach. I believe that small deserted town was in Oklahoma too. I just hope Grace dies early next episode. Not a fan of hers.
Flag
Tim, Congratulations!!
"There's way too much fat in this show" you write, but with a new born child, I think There's way too much fat in your review. You may have more important and exciting things to do now than watch or write about crapy Revolution.
(let´s face it, this show is NEVER going to get better).
Flag
My big thought during it was...geez this is a long episode. Now I was partially watching it live because I can't get my act together to put dinner together sooner. But then in the last ten minutes Jason found that envelope and was freaked out and I was like oh....my interest...is that piquing? Then nothing. I assume he is reading about what is in the syringes. And Gene being all shocked at Charlie? Um how do you imagine she and Miles saved Rachel?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members