A Revolution Community
NBC (ended 2014)
In this weeks pre-review post by Tim on Revolution, he said: "Ratings have flattened out to a series-low rating of 1.4 for four straight weeks, the comment count on my review of last week's "The Patriot Act" was the lowest of of the season to date, and no one seems to be saying much about this show on the interwebs".

I noticed the same thing last week and had started to figure out what was happening within our community. Tv.com has three figures to measure the popularity of a series: the rating, the number of people who rate and the number of comments. If you put them in a graph, you get the following:

It very clearly shows that the ratings go up slightly, the number of people rating the show is falling dramatically (from 267 to 45 last week) and the number of comments is going downhill (from 681 at the fourth episode to 45 last week). What could be the cause?

The reason probably is that people who like the show and people who really dislike the show tend to rate them. As we know, Revolution got better in the second season, thus making a lot of people not wanting to rate it anymore to show their disgust. So the people who like Revolution are still rating it and that's why rates go up. This morning (at least for me in Europe), the last episode had a rating of 9.5 with 12 votes. The first people voting really liked the episode.

I think the same happened with the comments. In season one the show made so many of us comment on its quality that the number of comments were huge. I participated in it as I like to point out illogical behaviour. And now, in season two, the show got better. Not that it is a masterpiece, but it now is in about the same league as 'Defiance' and 'Falling Skies'. This means there is so much less to comment on, but as it's still not that masterpiece, there are also no comments applauding the episodes like with 'Person Of Interest'.

This is all in line with the rating of 1.4 that Tim mention's. As the show got to be more mediocre, more people zap to other channels. There's less to enjoy, especially if you enjoyed the crappiness of the first season. It might also be the position it is on in the schedule, but as a European citizen, I do not have that information.

BTW, I assume that the low of 100 comments on 12/11/2102 is caused by the celebration of Veterans Day. Because it was on a Monday the US citizens had a long weekend.

What do you think about all of this?
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
@Vicky8675309, this is the post I mentioned that Tim linked to in his post (your name copied from below Avatar on profile page with added @)

Flag
I got this notification;-)
Flag
Yep, the reason why this one worked, but the others did not is that our usernames are case sensitive (capital V in @Vicky8675309), so you have to get the username exact. Also, any linking of the username currently disables the notification.

Finally, these notifications work only for comments, not posts. Thanks for testing guys!
Flag
see below
I got double notified on this so maybe typing it correctly and copy/pasting are two methods that work. Rolamb did the copy/paste that worked. You did a reply which generated a notification and used @Vicky8675309 which looks typed in and it worked. I think it is great that both ways seem to work;-) Aren't you supposed to be off today (offices closed on the 1st)? Admire your dedication but don't work to hard on y'll's day off;-)
Flag
I think I am feeling dense but he copy/pasted it and did not type it.
Flag
Either way works as long as the text is not linked!

And naturally, I have to keep up with your experiments on my day off.
Flag
Vicky8675309, this is the post I mentioned that Tim linked to in his post (your name copied from below Avatar on follow page)

Flag
@vicky8675309, this is the post I mentioned that Tim linked to in his post (your name linked to profile page)

Flag
@vicky8675309, this is the post I mentioned that Tim linked to in his post (your name just typed)
Flag
Sadly, your assumption regarding Veterans Day is probably unfounded. It's a long weekend, but it's not punctuated by the kind of celebration which you might have expected and which it most certainly deserves. I will be surprised if there is a massive bounce off of that number unless things really go off the rails.
Flag
I liked the first season and I still like it now in the second season and I love the show. I am following a lot of series and in reviews I always see people commenting because they don't like the path the series are taking, but they are not supposed to be the way we want them they are supposed to provide us a good story so just be thankful that they exist. If a series is always going by the path you want, you will probably get bored and stop watch them
Flag
This is one of those shows you either hate, love or simply watch beacuse...reasons... It´s violent and sexy and fun and thats why i like it. I love where the new season is taking us and I really hope other people find this as great as I do so the network doesn´t shut us down...
Flag
Sorry, accidental flag. I don't know how to undo it...
Flag
The answer is simple for me.

Last year, the show was garbage. Most viewers knew it was garbage. Tim knew it was garbage. But picking on the show for it's over the top levels of absurdity was so much fun. Tim was the voice of those who's intelligence was being insulted by what was presented on a weekly basis and those who genuinely liked the show would defend it.

This year, Tim's been jock sniffing Kripke and waxing poetic about how much better season 2 it. Many of those for whom he used to speak don't comment because what fun is it to pick on a show by yourself? Those who like the show don't comment because there's nothing to defend.

What's the biggest difference between this season and last season...? It's not Kripke because this show is every bit the garbage it was last year. It's Tim's 180 turn with how he reviews. Get back to that and let the fun and frolicking commence...that is until this show is put out of it's misery once and for all. And unlike Monroe, there will be no easily telegraphed coming back to life.
More+
Flag
I got tired of having to fight with haters of the show and explain why I like it,so I quit commenting.
Flag
That is a reason I hadn't heard before, but I understand. Why not just say the positive things in your comment and do not defend anything? Being positive is kind of a defense in itself.
Flag
I will consider that in the future.
Flag
why is everyone hating on this show? i love it, sure the first season had holes, but the 2nd season is even better. to the haters, please leave the show alone, dont ruin it for people like me who actually enjoy it.

Flag
I don't share the opinion, articles like Rolamb's prove that, even though fewer vieweres comment episode after episode, those comments have been positive which means they do like the show they are watching.

The way I see it, this means Revolution may not be as engaging to motivate more comments, but its not the kind of show its viewers hate either.
Flag
I can't answer you that, everybody got their own opinion. As far as I can see, I didn't show any hate for the show in my post, I tried to just show the facts and give possible explanations.
Flag
This makes sense becasue I mainly post for 3 reasons: an episode is so bad that I just have to mock it, an episode is so great I have to compliment it, or Tim says something so outrageous I have to call him on it. Revolution falls squarely in the mediocre category and there is not much to coment on.
Flag
I completely agree with you, I do the same with one addition. Ik also like to make some jokes on the great episodes (like woth POI), it's in my genes.
Flag
People who, like me, hated the first season after having been duped by the hype surrounding the show, have long since given up on Revolution and so have not watched any episodes from season 2. No point in commenting or continuing to poke ridicule on the show.
I managed to watch 6 episodes and still can't believe I lasted that long, you don't get to come back from that.
Enjoy the end of season 2, my guess is that that's gonna be it.
Flag
And I didn't even know you could rate an episode... Go figure.
Flag
Always happy to help you sir.
Flag
great post! I think Revolution is a show that has been reviewed/commented at this site most basically by people that liked Tim's reviews and photo recaps. He treated the show as ridiculous the whole last season and commenters were happily joining the big party of punching Charlie. Plus, some upset people that actually liked the show and dared to comment, helped getting even more punches to Charlie.

Now that the show is more serious and Charlie doesn't deserve as many punches as before, well, number of comments goes down because it's not fun anymore.
Flag
I feel this is where the communities come in handy; in the ratings system anyone can rate a show, even of its only to give it a 2 to an episode that deserves a 9.5 or a 10 just so it would lower its score.

In a community, on the other hand, you can only comment if you have watched the show, and the discussions, links and polls reflect that, as well as the number of members within the community, of the number of comments in any given article.
Flag
*or instead of "of".
Flag
Here's my working theory:
- The better the show, the more likely you are to comment just once to mention a few favorite moments and move on.
- The more flawed a show, the more likely you are to debate the show's merits / disappointments. We're a hopeful bunch of TV viewers, always ready to encourage either to keep watching.

Love the approach to this post. The graph is great!
Flag
Thanks. You ackknowledge what I wrote: it's mediocre now so no need to comment.
Flag
Oh, I was actually trying to say the opposite! While the TV ratings are going down (which rarely has anything to do with a show's quality), the TV.com episode ratings are going up. As a result, I think there's less to argue about as the show gets better.
Flag
We are trying to say the same, but you say it much better then I did :-)
Flag
I mentioned this in another post I wrote but I think that its position on the schedule has definitely lent to lower viewership - though I have no clue about DVR numbers etc. I wanted to give up last season, but the second season 180 has me excited. I think the fact that it got better might have something to do with the comments and number of ratings going down - you hit the nail on the head. I know last season I would comment about how ridiculous it was but now that it's not as ridiculous others probably aren't as into it. I remember reading a lot of comments on Tim's reviews last season saying they don't watch it but read his reviews just to see how awful it was. Apathy has kicked into high gear because people used to talk about it out of disgust or because they wanted to hate on the people who hated it - which is the internet norm.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members