Revolution

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 17, 2012 on NBC

7.7
  • Does this highly anticipated show live up to the hype? Or is it anover Terra Nova?

Sadly, in short, it's another Terra Nova.

The people behind this have a pretty serious track record of awesome shows. The creator of Lost J. J. Abrams being the most obvious. He also created Alias, Fringe, among the failure show Terra Nova. We also have Breaking Bad's awesome, awesome, awesome Giancarlo Esposito as the militia bad guy (he seems to love playing villans) and Juliet from Lost playing Charlie's mother.

So let's get this out of the way. The Pilot...it kind of sucked. It wasn't HORRIBLE, but it wasn't as great as the trailers made it look. This Pilot brings up a large number of mysteries, mostly in the science department. How the hell could something like this even happen? I kind of get the feeling, like I got with Lost, that none of these questions will be answered. Provided the series even gets renewed, which is unlikely if this kind of quality is kept.

The characters are all extremely boring. Boring as hell. Even Giancarlo Esposito, who is amazing actor, was given a role that made him seem bland and not stand out at all. None of these characters have any depth, they're just there to look pretty. The main actors (especially Danny, who annoys the F*CK out of me and should win the award for worst developed character) are all extraordinarily uninteresting.

This show has the same problems that Lost did. We, as viewers, do not care about the families of these annoying characters who somehow wear skinny jeans and makeup in the world without power where militias rule. We care about how the government fell, what happened to start it.

The militia spy made no sense either. If he wanted to save the girl, why did he call his troops on her? For the sake of a flashy sword fight scene? Why is the uncle such a dull character that really the only thing Charlie herself knows about him is that "he's good at killing things." What?

I'm sorry, but that's just bad writing. Don't make a "family drama" and then have every member of that family be a complete idiot that makes you want to throw rocks at the TV. Not cool, Abrams. Better luck next time, because it looks like you failed again at making a show.

I will stick with Revolution for a couple more episodes and unless it gets better I will not continue. It was just too bad this wasted potential. Too bad.

FINAL BREAKDOWN:

+Interesting concept

+Good production values

+Great fight scene

-Uninteresting characters

-Insane plot holes (the airplane, anybody?)

-Stupid, annoying characters