Rhoda

CBS (ended 1978)

anglemark10

Rhoda Fan Reviews (3)

• Hysterically funny show about a woman trying to make it in New York on her own.

This was one of the first shows I remember watching. It was a spinoff from 'Mary Tyler Moore.'

Valerie Harper starred in the title role, Nancy Walker was her loving but crazy mother Ida, Lorenzo Music was the voice of Carlton the Doorman, whom we never saw on camera, David Groh her love interest Joe, and Julie Kavner played Rhoda's sister and best friend Brenda.

Together the ensemble made their way through the ups and downs of life with a feisty wit, but no bitterness. Rhoda was trying to reestablish a foothold in her hometown of New York after having worked for a number of years in Minneapolis. Life kept getting in the way: she grappled with the hassles of work, relationships, Mom, what to do when the heat doesn't run, and Mom. She also saw the flip side of all these things: if you try hard enough, you can wring some joy out of the toughest challenges in life.

'Rhoda' was a show about a unique personality and all the people around her. She seemed like somebody I would really like to get to know. I wish it had been around for a lot more years, but as it is, I'm very grateful for what we have.

'Rhoda' to this day is an intelligent show loaded with laughs, great writing and terrific performances.