Ricky Gervais: Out of England

Saturday 9:00 PM on HBO Premiered Nov 15, 2008 Special

Ricky Gervais: Out of England Fan Reviews (3)

• Deliciously irreverent!

I love a comic who can make me think, "OMG, did he just say that??!!", all while I am trying not to pee my pants!

There was some really funny stuff in this special, and it must be very difficult to get up there and try to appeal to a varied audience. Though I guess at his level, you pretty much know what you're going to get, and if you don't like the offerings you stay home, or go, and shut up about it.

I also don't know how some comedians can pull off such utterly un-PC material while others get booed off the stage. But I love that Gervais can do it because I think its really very healthy to just plain laugh, but also, to laugh at our own extreme absurdities sometimes.

Great show. I'll add Ricky Gervais to my "to see" list...
  • Ricky Gervais is featured in a very funny HBO stand-up comedy special called Ricky Gervais: Out of England that fans of his will appreciate.

The creator, star and producer of the original BBC British Office and Extra TV shows, Ricky Gervais, is featured in his own HBO stand-up comedy special called Ricky Gervais: Out of England. He's funny, even hilarious at times. Some of his jokes tend to go on too long when he should really move on to the next topic. I didn't laugh at everything he said. A lot of it was amusing though. I did laugh out loud several times. On stage Ricky Gervais presents himself in a self-effacing manner using a wide range of political, social and personal subjects in his routine. He comes across as being very sharp, intelligent and witty. It's entertaining to watch him crack jokes in front of a crowd. The HBO stand-up comedy special Ricky Gervais: Out of England will appeal most to people who appreciate Ricky Gervais's dry British sense of humour. Fans of the talented comedian will likely find it worth watching.
  • Classic Ricky Gervais standup.

Ricky Gervais (The Office, Extras) is one of the most influential comedians of the 21st Century, and arguably the funniest period. He starred in, produced, and wrote two of the best sitcoms of all time and is now on his way to becoming a movie star.

It is great to see that his style of humor translates well into stand up too. And the best thing is that nothing is off limits with Gervais. If you thought Chris Rock's special was edgy last month this is just as politically incorrect. Ricky Gervais has no problem poking fun at AIDS, cancer patients, fat people all while drinking a beer throughout his performance. Too many quotes and too many memorable bits to recall, but this was just incredibly funny. When news broke a few weeks back that there might be a second Extras Christmas Special everyone got excited but it looks like Gervais will have no problem being hilarious post-Extras anyway.