Breaking news, Gabe Sapolksy is done with ROH

telvisnostic

[1]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 52
    10/26/2008 by Bill Behrens

I found the following with fan comments on the Ring Of Honor Message Board this morning.

I wrote Gabe Sapolsky to make sure he was alright given the news. He wrote back that he was fine.

Ring of Honor Announcement
    Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ring of Honor is announcing that Gabe Sapolsky will be leaving the company effective immediately. Everybody at ROH would like to thank him for his contributions and wish him well in all future endeavors.

Going forward Ring of Honor will be focusing on the stories and the talent in the ring. The company will have no further comments on this issue or a replacement for Mr. Sapolsky. We would like to thank all of the fans and media who have supported us over the years and look forward to bringing you more great wrestling excitement in the future.

And

Additional Information On Gabe Sapolsky Leaving ROH
    10/26/2008 by Bill Behrens

ROH is financed by Cary Silken. Several years ago the decision was made to begin PPVs. The hope was it would grow the company, add fans, and revenue. It has not.

It has been suggested ROH needs TV. They do not unless they are paid to provide their show and at least break even. ROH had TV briefly in Philadelphia on WGTW-TV, payiong for the time slot weekly, and canceled that deal after a few months. The TV was not helping them draw and was cutting nto DVD sales. They had been warned going in that they would lose money, but too many see TV as a holy grail. It usually is not. It's usually just another expense.

ROH house shows are down in attendance, and several planned shows in Florida were cancelled then rescheduled to next year.

Only NYC & Chicago have really been drawing the crowds ROH needs and expects.

After last month's Philadephia show Silkin was close to shutting down ROH altogether. Too much money was being spent, and too little was coming in.

Other ROH Management convinced Silkin to keep the company running, and to let Gabe Saposky go, and in the process make changes beyond the booking alone.

Card budgets need to be cut. Towns need to be booked to run at a profit regardless of draw even if it means reducing pay to some talent or reeducing the number of wrestlers booked p[er show, particularly fly-ins.

Whether PPV will continue is unknown. I'd recommend no. ROH needs to focus on events and DVDs, and story telling, alnost go back to the beginning in some ways. Their press release suggested that direction.

The current booking plan is to use a committee. Exactly who is on the committee has not been announced. For this group, whoever they turn out to be, to be sucessful, they first need to meet with Cary Silkin and find out exacting what he wants. It is his money after all. If they plan to repackage ROH, I'd focus on NE dates and run fewer shows, and go to the mid-west only once every two-three months. I'd cancel any new market unless indications are good for ticket sales, and regardless I'd underbook the cards. I'd try to sell ROH Shows to buildings for a guaranteed fee.

There will be no quick fix, but if the bleeding can be stopped, Cary Silkin & ROH can survive.

-www.wrestlezone.com

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thefanof

[2]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 102
    Should be interesting. I have a feeling another reason was possibly that it was time for Nigel McGuinness to drop the title, but Gabe wanted him to keep it longer. Gabe seems to shove things down our throats until the ROH board starts saying how great it is.

Tyler Black better win the belt at Final Battle.

telvisnostic

[3]Oct 26, 2008
    I guess I'm one of the few who has enjoyed his title reign. I personally think Aries should be the champ if and when Nigel loses it. This thing with Gabe is a bit odd and interesting at the same time.

thefanof

[4]Oct 26, 2008

telvisnostic wrote:
    I guess I'm one of the few who has enjoyed his title reign. I personally think Aries should be the champ if and when Nigel loses it. This thing with Gabe is a bit odd and interesting at the same time.

Oh no, it's been enjoyable and if you saw the list I made in my blog Nigel is one of my top 10 wrestlers right now, but Gabe just seems to push things too hard. The Vulture Squad, for example, is a joke and should have been disbanded months ago. Then there were guys like BJ Whitmer, Brent Albright and Adam Pearce who weren't getting over but were constantly being booked as if they were (I did like Pearce/Albright live from DBD though). The AOTF gimmick and the whole Necro Butcher thing was drawn out too long as well.

Nigel's reign has been fine, but the fans clearly want Bryan Danielson, Tyler Black or just somebody else to stop it. The fact that there's only been 3 World Champions in over 3 years is insane.

telvisnostic

[5]Oct 27, 2008
    10/27/2008 by Nick Paglino

F4Wonline.com is reporting that Adam Pearce has been named the new head booker of Ring of Honor and has replaced Gabe Sapolsky effective immediately. Sapolsky is officially gone from the company and reports are indicating that ROH will be going for a more 1970's **** of in-ring wrestling.

telvisnostic

[6]Oct 27, 2008
    thefanof wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    Oh no, it's been enjoyable and if you saw the list I made in my blog Nigel is one of my top 10 wrestlers right now, but Gabe just seems to push things too hard. The Vulture Squad, for example, is a joke and should have been disbanded months ago. Then there were guys like BJ Whitmer, Brent Albright and Adam Pearce who weren't getting over but were constantly being booked as if they were (I did like Pearce/Albright live from DBD though). The AOTF gimmick and the whole Necro Butcher thing was drawn out too long as well.

Nigel's reign has been fine, but the fans clearly want Bryan Danielson, Tyler Black or just somebody else to stop it. The fact that there's only been 3 World Champions in over 3 years is insane.

I actually did cowment on that blog you wrote. I obviously misunderstood you. I apologize for that.

Here is something I've noticed though, on other message-boards, more people are saying Nigel has gotten stale. But here's my question, weren't some parts of Punk's, Joe's and Danielson's reigns a bit stale? I like the fact that the champs have been only 3 within the past 3 years. Long title reigns make for a good story, and when the person who wins it from the title holder, it will mean all the much more. Nigel's wins have been good, but I think he needs that one feud that has to stick out in everyone's mind that will make his reign better than the others.

Tyler Black...really? The dude that used to be in AotF? I'd take Steen over him and Danielson had his turn.

Edited on 10/27/2008 1:11pm

thefanof

[7]Oct 27, 2008
    Have you seen any of Black's matches with Nigel? Just great, non-stop action. The final 5 minutes of the 4 way from NYC was incredible.

telvisnostic

[8]Oct 27, 2008
    I actually haven't. I'll look it up.

telvisnostic

[9]Oct 27, 2008

BIG Update here:

by Mike Johnson @ 2008-10-27 09:08:35

As Dave reported yesterday on PWInsider.com, ROH owner Cary Silkin made the decision to let Gabe Sapolsky go as the company's booker.

Sapolsky was informed after the ROH event in Edison, NJ and was said to have been completely shocked and stunned when he was told. None of the talent was told before Sapolsky was dismissed, although other members of the ROH management's inner circle had to have been aware.

The actual meeting between Silkin and Sapolsky was said to have been professional with no tense, explosive outcome. After he was informed, Sapolsky remained at the building for some time talking to other ROH executives before exiting. Everything was left on good terms personally.

Regarding rumors Sapolsky quit, that didn't happen as he considered the gig his dream job.

Silkin made the call for a number of factors from a business side of things. There was a belief that the company needed a change and that having all the great wrestling in the world could only take them so far as they struggle to grow. While there was no denying what Sapolsky had done for the company, Silkin felt it was time for a new direction.

I want to note that there were some personality conflicts with Gabe and others at times, so that may have added to the decision, but I can't say for sure how greatly that weighed in. I can say that while Sapolsky could drive people nuts with his fits at times, he was still extremely liked among the boys as they were just considered one of his quirks. Most of the wrestlers I spoke to were shocked.

The bottom line was that to all but the most die-hard ROH fans, the company wasn't hitting on all cylinders anymore and while I wouldn't say the blame fell on Sapolsky completely, Silkin felt the best next move to make was to remove him and move forward.

When I spoke to Silkin yesterday, he confirmed it was his decision, would not comment on who the new booker(s) may be and said that Sapolsky did great things for ROH.

Those who have contacted Sapolsky were told he wasn't going to talk about the company as he was gone but wanted to thank everyone who supported ROH and himself the last several years.

For those who are wondering what this means for Sapolsky's role as the booker for Florida's Full Impact Pro, I don't believe Sapolsky has made a decision on whether he wants to remain working in the wrestling business. He's been in the business his entire adult life after college but there are only so many places one can work full-time and make a living and he has a family to support.

Obviously, this will usher in a major new chapter for ROH as a promotion. For the first time since its formation, ROH starts truly a new creatively. We'll have to see where that takes us.

-pwisinder.com

I'm eager as to see where this goes as well.

thefanof

[10]Oct 30, 2008

Yeah, Gabe is officially gone from FIP too. Not really that big of a deal. Instead of being used as a developmental territory it was pretty much just ROH-lite.

I think Kenny King, Erick Stevens, Sal Rinauro, The Heartbreak Express and Jay Fury are really the only guys to get to ROH from there and none of them really had that much success.

telvisnostic

[11]Jan 7, 2009
    Gabe Sapolsky latest blog entry www.myspace.com/rohgabe.