Riptide

Four-Eyes

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 1984 on NBC

• The guys reluctantly take a job through shady attorney Myron Bell, working for the obnoxious Roger Ramsdale to prove his kindly wife is cheating on him. But they find two female PIs working for the wife, and soon after, Roger is murdered. Great fun...

I've never quite been able to decide if 'Four-Eyes' is a very good episode, or an excellent episode. It probably falls somewhere in the middle.

When I first saw this episode, broadcast by Channel 5 in 1998, they had not shown the Pilot (for reasons that I never did fathom), so I wondered / presumed Myron Bell, the shady attorney who employs the Riptide trio in this episode, was a recurring character that we were supposed to know from the Pilot (we are introduced to him here as if we are already supposed to be familiar with him). As I found out when I finally saw the Pilot a couple of years later, he wasn't, and only went on to appear in one other episode, the show's penultimate story, 'If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em'.

There is rumour that this episode was a backdoor pilot for a series revolving around the two female PIs, played by Stephanie Kramer and D.D. Howard. I'm not sure if this is actually true or not; but even if it isn't, it is maybe odd that they never appear again in the show's three season run, as they are introduced with such prominence here.

Anyway, the story itself is a decent one. As it starts off, with the Riptide gang working for obnoxious used car salesman Roger Ramsdale, and the female PIs employed by his wife, it is watchable though slightly 'flat' in places. But as Roger is murdered, and things hot up, the story really takes off.

The strongest thing about this episode is the many humorous moments it produces. After a decent Pilot, the first few episodes of the series felt slightly awkward, but by this time of this episode, the main cast work together really well, and – although their performances are slightly hammy in places – Kramer and Howard integrate well with them. I didn't like Kramer's horribly forced catchphrase, "Get outta town!", though (Which no doubt would have been one of the trademarks of the proposed spin-off series).

Would this make my Top 10 favourite episodes list? I'm not sure. It is very good indeed, but there are so many other quality episodes that maybe pip it to the post. Although a couple of corny moments, even by the show's standards, maybe mark this one down a notch from a perfect 10, I still really like 'Four-Eyes', and give it a high scoring 9.5.