A Rizzoli & Isles Community
Monday 9:00 PM on TNT

UPDATE: Young's publicist has confirmed that the actor took his own life. "It is with great sadness that I announce that Lee Thompson Young tragically took his own life this morning ... Lee was more than just a brilliant young actor, he was a wonderful and gentle soul who will be truly missed."

Rizzoli & Isles actor Lee Thompson Young, who first rose to fame as the star of Disney Channel's The Famous Jett Jackson in the '90s, was found dead in his Los Angeles home Monday from a possible suicide. He was 29.

Young played Detective Barry Frost on TNT's Rizzoli & Isles, which is currently in its fourth season and was recently renewed for a fifth. When he didn't show up for work Monday morning, the show contacted Young's landlord, who found his body, according to TMZ. He was found with what's been described as a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

In addition to The Famous Jett Jackson and Rizzoli & Isles, Young also starred in the 2004 Friday Night Lights movie, and played smaller roles in South BeachFlashForward, and Smallville.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/27/2016

Season 7 : Episode 5

114 Comments
Comments (109)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So often we are face to face with our own mortality, and often we look to find the more appealing outcome. Truth is by whatever spirituality you believe in taking your own life is never the correct option. We have no idea what made him feel this was the solution, but this " Option" is never the right choice. My heart is saddened by yet another bright and promising person lost to such an unthinkable outcome. We as fathers and mothers should take this ( unfortunate ) lesson as motivation to try a lot harder to be more consistent, more understanding, more protective of our children's lives, and re assure each other that family unity and dependency is our best option when life shows no hope is left. I cant begin to describe what his family is feeling, but the pain of a loved one leaving our mortal form is a pain we all have felt. My god they are leaving too soon and for sure too young, and the issue isn't color its this epidemic that has taken more lives lately than ever before.( The Disregard and Lack Of Value for Human Life)
Flag
So Rizzoli & Isles aired last night but there was no tribute to Lee, no dedication, no RIP nothing? What was up with that? Shameful.
Flag
The episode that aired this week did have a tribute to him at the end. It had the dedication and showed a couple clips of him too.
Flag
My mistake there was a tribute right at the end, unfortunately the episode I watched had it removed :(

I've seen it now here:

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
next ePisode will have it. its such a shame
Flag
he was one of my favorite actors on TV right now. Same with his character. I can't believe this, I just want to go back in time and give him a hug and talk it out. what a shame. I hope his loved ones are doing ok.
Flag
My condolences to his friends and family, he always seemed like a fine young man.
Flag
It's so sad. I only know him from R&I but he was great in that show. He will be missed.
Flag
This breaks my heart.

I keep forgetting he was Jett Jackson... but I remember him being Cyborg on Smallville..and I religiously watch Rizzoli and Isles.
Flag
OMG!! At a loss for words, thoughts and condolences to his family & friends. RIP Lee Thompson Young.
Flag
They really ought to push "Suicide is not an option" in school.
Flag
so little is done concerning the issue. gradually ppl are understanding the issue better.
Flag
Stunned!! Just couldn't believe the news when I read it. Devastating that he felt that he had to carry his burdens all alone. Love him in Rizzoli and Isles, the show just won't be the same without him. I hope that in death you have found peace.
Flag
OMG this is shocking!!! My goodness, he was only 29. I loved him as Frost in Rizzoli & Isles. A big step up from his character in FlashForward. RIP, Lee Thompson Young. My prayers go out to you and your family.
Flag
This is very sad. I am looking at the picture and wonder WHY... Love R&I and Frost, but still is such loss to see a young person choose death over life, no matter the reason. My prayers goes to his family and friends. RIP! May you find some peace!
Flag
That sux, it sux that ppl are driven to do such things as taking their own lives i grew up watching The Famous Jett Jackson, it sux to see someone i grew up watching has died.

Never watched Rizzoli and Isles but i bet he was awesome in it.
Flag
Absolutely gutting, such a wonderful character in Rizzoli and Isles, so sad, had a great future ahead of him.
Flag
My condolences to his friends and family.

I'm definitely going to miss him. :(
Flag
And it's my first time after a few days being w/o Internet... I just can't .... #crying
Flag
Oh no, not another one... :( I don't understand why is this happening so often, so many young and bright people with promising future perish so absurdly. I liked him so much in Rizzoli&Isles, poor guy! Hope he rests in peace...
Flag
It's always sad when such a young man takes his own life.
Flag
OMG, this breaks my heart.
Flag
So sad that he felt like he didn't have anything to live for... and the nasty comments on here are very rude have some respect even if he took his own life its very sad, imagine what his family is going through....
He was amazing as Cyborg in Smallville, You will be sadly missed all the best to your family,konrad
Flag
This entire situation breaks my heart. Having been depressed, I know that it is a dark hole that is difficult to get out of. What really hurts, though, is knowing that he was alone, and felt alone and hopeless, at the very end. I hope he has peace wherever he is now.
Flag
I must say to those who 'know this will pass'. Now nearing 60, I have to say, no for all of us it does NOT change. Whether he suffered from some physical ill health, depression, bipolar, all common, and plenty more on the list. Everyone told me it would get better, but they were in fact, mostly wrong. And mostly, they did not care, the 'it will get better' is a remark tossed off the shoulder as they leave you to struggle alone. For many yes it does change, for others its a life time struggle even doing everything 'right'. And I feel, even as I envy those who had the money for therapy, medication, gyms, that Hollywood exerts a terrible pressure we can not understand. While its sad to see the young die, how about not judging him and simply looking at as a loss and seeing if by helping others maybe others can be helped. People don't off themselves unless they are suffering. The poor man is dead, let him rest in peace and simply mourn that he felt he had no solution to whatever cast him into hopelessness.
Flag
This is tragic!
Flag
SO SAD, I loved The Famous Jett Jackson, so many tragic young deaths lately, Cory, Gia, the girl from that 70s show, now this, I can't take anymore!!! So sad
Flag
I'm stilled stunned.. Pissed off in fact.There are so many people you want to point the finger at and say," how could you let this happen" or "how could you not see the warning signs" Are we so wrapped up in our own drama that we cant take a moment and look at those close to us and if something doesn't feel right say hey is there anything I can do.. I know this is not the world we live in. its easy to say, It shouldn't be up to us to be his or her keeper. well in some cases maybe they need a keeper. simplistic right. we will never really know the why of it, my hope is that his passing might wake up the Hollywood. get them to pay a little more attention to their talent. unfortunately this maybe be asking to much.
Flag
I wonder why people kill themselves. I love being alive. I don't ever want to stop being so.
Flag
Weird because as soon as i looked at his picture I remembered his character took his own life in Flashforward.
Flag
WTF!!! He'll be sadly missed. :(
Flag
Very sad indeed :(
Flag
So sad. It's a huge loss. My condolences for his family and friends. He will be remembered.
Flag
WTF is wrong with people, succesful people take their lives. Did he have any problems? He was 29 im 28 and I didn't achieve anything in my life yet, so should i take my own life... stupid. And stop writing may he find peace, coz according to the Bible suicide peaple won't find any (taking life -> mortal sin)
Flag
You don't know what was going on in his life. Was he battling depression? Did he have personal issues? etc.

Success isn't everything, sometimes it causes even more stress. Add on a stressful work-week of a TV show (yes, their schedules ARE insane) and you have a cocktail for trouble.

I've known people who are clinically depressed. I'm not saying this guy was, but if he was then it wouldn't be surprising. Some people think "depressed" means "he's feeling a bit sad today" but it's a whole lot more than that. When someone with clinical depression is having one of his worse days, things get quite bleak and scary.
Flag
How do you know your religion is the only real one? How can you be sure?
Flag
... and that right there is why I don't believe in organized religion. A 'benevolent' deity that would deny a troubled young person the peace in death that they couldn't find in life is not a deity that I would want to believe in.
Flag
so what are you an atheist, deist pantheist?
Flag
'officially' ... a very lapsed Catholic.

In reality, I consider myself an agnostic.

I'm a mix of believing that mankind is nowhere near sophisticated enough to be capable of defining whatever higher power exists; and believing that everyone's beliefs are different and personal and no generalized belief system can truly encompass everyone's preferences and/or all of our ways to express our faith.
Flag
wow what a lot of bs. mankind IS capable of defining whatever higher power exists which is none. You're almost out of the closet. I once considered myself agnostic too but that was more of a scientific reason because science can't prove god doesn't exist, but then I called my own bs and now my mind is finally free.

Flag
sure suicide is stupid, but your faith has noting to do with fact (that's why it's called "faith") the fact is, there no proof of what you claim. get off your high horse & let people process the news as they see fit
Flag
:( is all that comes to mind for me at the moment.
Flag
wow. really sad news. he'll always be Jett Jackson to me.

not to come off crass, but when they're on a TV show I always wonder how the show will deal with off-show death. they'll either just have him leave or it'll be some undercover job gone wrong or something. off-camera
Flag
Wow!! What a loss. WTF. This was one of the good ones. Our hearts go out to his family. Where are the people who are supposed to be looking out for him. this stuff doesn't just happen. the signs are usually there.
Flag
So young ...
RIP
My sympathies to his loved ones...
Flag
Shit.. This is just too much.. unbelievable... May he find peace and his family, friends and co-actors get through this..
Flag
I am legit crying... I loved him so much... Ever since I was a kid, had the biggest crush... Damn, what in the world is happening??

RIP, Lee. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Flag
WTF? Holy Crap? What is happening to actors in Holywood these days? I loved the man and am curious why such a wonderful soul would want to end his days at 29. RIP and I am genuinely very sad.
Flag
Why does it feel like we're always hearing about celebrity deaths recently? It feels like we can't go a week without hearing about someone dying.
Flag
it's a weird pattern, but celebrity deaths tend to happen in clumps of 3's in a very short period. (usually a week, give or take a few days)
Probably nothing to it in reality as celebrities of all stripes & popularity levels die every day of the year, but the pattern of reporting them in threes has remained consistent enough over the years that my friends & I will often make bets & speculate on who might next take a header into the dead pool before the end of any given cycle.

I think of it akin to the pattern of reports of shark attacks in the media. Although the number of annual shark attacks remain pretty much consistent worldwide, the number of shark attacks that get media coverage rise about the same time every year giving the impression that they happen more often than they actually do.
Flag
With all the recent deaths, this is the one that shocks me the most
Flag
If he killed himself, I don't feel sorry for him! he's stupid!!!!
if he didn't then RIP
Flag
You just don´t know real suffering.., maybe it will come to you one day, then you will deeply regret your own words.
Flag
Sweetie I've been through enough in life and had more than fair share of death around me to know that you don't just kill yourself, there are people who depend on you or love you and you don't just let them down... you can never take this thing back!
Flag
How dare you to talk about being selfish?! Who are you to judge someone if you don´t know his life, how he suffered or how it feels to wake up every morning and curse God that he didn´t let you die.. fuck you!
Flag
wow you weirdo chill! he's not your family to swear and get so defensive! Its my opinion that Im entitled to.

I can judge people from experience and no matter how bad things are, there's always light at the end of the tunnel so yes he was selfish and people around him don't deserve this.

And being an actor and in the public eye makes him somewhat a role model and he shouldn't have encouraged a behavior other people might copy.
Flag
while i understand on the surface it appears selfish, but if you've never been on that level, you truly can't judge. The pain, isolation(whether real or imagined), and the absolute belief that it'll never end can be all-consuming. WE know it was stupid, WE knew he wasn't alone, WE knew it would get better. unfortunately, he didn't. He has my sympathy, love, and hope that the after-life is kind to him.
Flag
I hope so, but it I still blame him for getting to this level without seeking help at earlier stages.
I mean once we hit depression, its kind of levels and there's a point before the suicide is where you seek help.
Flag
You're a good soul, DarylsBookworm.
Flag
His family though I feel for. As selfish as the act of suicide is the ones left behind are the ones that suffer.
Flag
They do, but when you're at that level of depression, you think you're doing your loved ones a favor by relieving them of the "burden" that is you. You assume they'll miss you a little for a while, then move on to a better life without you. I know. I've been at that edge a few times myself.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It seems like once a week that I'm lost for words. This is a tragic loss. He was a great actor and he seemed like a genuinely nice young man. My condolences to his family and friends. I hope that some kind of support system is introduced for actors because there is obviously a need for it. I want to say more but I'm lost for words. I hope all of you are OK and if anyone needs help please talk to some one, preferably a qualified stranger (trust me, it's easier to talk to a stranger). Watch some 'Community; and stay happy.
Good night.
Flag
So sad...he always seemed like one of the more well-adjusted Disney products.
Flag
My prayers are with his family and friends as they attempt to make sense of this tragic loss.
Flag
Oh nooo...I really loved him...He will be missed. R.I.P
Flag
I really enjoyed his part on R & I. I will miss his contribution as well as his smile. My prayers to his loved ones.
Flag
I'm still reeling from this news. I can't really wrap my head around it because it feels like it just can't be right, that someone with a similar name got confused for him. With what everyone has said about him I keep asking why.

Truly sad and upsetting to hear that he is gone. May he be at peace now and free from what troubled him.
Flag
I love this show, the character and the actor. I'm really sad. :(
Flag
This really sucks hadn't watched his new show but knew he was on it and was happy for him. Have been a huge fan sense Jett Jackson and Johnny Tsunami and always was excited to see him get quality work. He will be missed
Flag
:( I loved The Famous Jett Jackson. He will be missed. Such sad news lately...
Flag
This makes me so sad. RIP young man, you will be missed. R & I will not be the same without you :-(
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members