Rizzoli & Isles

Money for Nothing

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Aug 09, 2010 on TNT

7.7
  • A good conflict between the leads adds to the fun of the show.

As we get more into the series, it's a good idea to introduce a bit of tension between the two main characters. We've seen the class difference between Rizzoli & Isles before but this really brought it in how different they are. Isles' wanting to show the rich aren't that bad was fun as she honestly doesn't get how vastly different that life is from Rizzoli's harder upbringing. I enjoyed the lawyer saying he grew up poor himself and owes the family, gave his character more dimension and the arguements between the leads were well done (although the "tell her I said..." bit was too childish for two supposed professionals). I also liked Isles link to that former flame although we all knew it wouldn't end well. But glad that, despite her worries, Isles was still able to face the truth as that's what matters to her. The killer was sort of obvious but liked the comedown for him being told point blank how he disgraced the family with his act. As usual, the chemistry between Harmon and Alexander is what makes the series work as the dinner scene was funny with Rizzoli downing champagne and liked the end of Isles trying out beer. This show is improving and introducing a bit of tension between the leads only helps.

After a good pilot, Rizzoli and Isles has another disappointing episode. Outside of the scene with Maura trying to teach Jane how to properly eat the dish, I do not think there was anything even resembling a good scene in this episode. You had a senseless subliminal guest spot with Mark Paul Gosselar, who will star in yet another lawyer show for TNT, and you had a very boring case of the week to go along with it.

Is it just me or does Angie Harmon always look like she is in pain on this show? Are they showing her episodes of Rizzoli and Isles while she is filming it? That's the only rational explanation for the wry grimace that plagues her face for 42 minutes.

It is a shame that this show is now more watched than Burn Notice.