Road to Avonlea

CBC (ended 1996)

Road to Avonlea Fan Reviews (7)

• This show was awsome! I wish they could bring it back!

This is about an girl name who comes to Avonlea,to live with her aunts and there is adventure in Avonlea,even to watch them grow up.What can I say about this show? Its awsome! When I was an little girl,I used to watch this show an lot.This show was an instant classic,for me.I couldn't stopped watching this show.This show,had been my favorite since than.I got really disappointed when Disney,tooked it off their line up with new shows.It was on another channel,but that channel is no longer there.I have the dvd set.I wish that Disney could bring it back and put it on tv again.Disney create another channel,just Disney Classic,where they show Disney classic shows on that channel.I really do miss the show.
  • This is a fun family show, with something for just about everyone.

This is a very fun and addicting show for me. I haven't seen all the episodes, yet, but I hope to! It's mostly very clean, with humor, adventure, and romance. My favorite male characters are Gus Pike and Felix King. Favorite female characters include Sarah, Hetty, and Rachel Lynde. The show is very character-driven. They seem like real, imperfect characters, with numerous quirks and charms, in a small town environment. There are often new characters and places to peak your interest, sometimes even a little mystery. The people grow up and have romance in their lives, but there still remains a bit of innocence that we who know Avonlea have come to love.
  • Great family show, especially for those who love shows that are set in the golgen age

I loved the Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea movies from the start and was so excited to learn a TV show sequeled. I have a passion for anything Victorian and Edwardian, and this is one of the best shows set during this time. Even the costumers knew what they were doing, as I tend to be a critic when it comes to historical costuming. The costumes were accurate down to the very year. I was quite impressed. How they show every day life back then is also very accurate. Loved it! Over the years, you watch the kids grow up, and share in turmoils and celebrations. It's hillarious at times, and other times very touching and sweet. When Gus and Felicity first kissed I just wanted to fly! The only downside really is that it can get kind of corny and painfully predictable, especially since Sara always seems to be the one to fix all the problems, and is alwyas the peace maker. She's the main character, but sometimes I found they played her a little too much. I really miss this show, and hope to one day own all the seasons on DVD.
  • Hooray to Anne!

Kevin Sullivan did a miraculous job in producing "Anne of Green Gables" and "The Sequel." He picked out a wonderful cast for each character, and definitely three cheers to him for bringing Lucy Maud Montgomery's novels to life. And he was very brilliant for making a television series out of Lucy's novels. "Road to Avonlea" take you back to a time when life was calm, neighbors were friendly and looked out for each other. The cast was perfectly picked out for this show, and more seasons should have been filmed. It was wonderful when the cast returned about a year later to produce a Christmas movie. This series should have more movie specials like "Little House" and "The Waltons." The show and Kevin Sullivan deserve a emmy. But most of all, thanks to Lucy Maud Montgomery. Without her, we would never have the pleasure of meeting the townfolks of Avonlea.
  • a good and descent show

i have seen almost all the seasons of road to avonlea it was a really good show though it has been many years since it has ended i still miss it i liked the story of how a rich girl goes to live with her cousins in a small town the show had many plots and ups and downs some episode were very sad and some were really funny my favorite episode was the one in which everyone is planning to through a suprise party for hetty king iit was funny and a bit sad when she thinks eveyone has forgoten her birthday it was truly a memorable show.
  • A "great escape" with a little something for everyone.

Three years after the second 'Anne of Green Gables' miniseries, Kevin Sullivan decided to create 'Road to Avonlea'. He found a gold mine of sorts.

Rather than continue to focus on the lives of Anne and Gilbert, he decided to give life to the characters found in Lucy Maud Montgomery's novels 'The Story Girl' and 'The Golden Road'. In the beginning, much of the focus is on Montreal-bred Sara Stanley and her trying to fit in with her Prince Edward Island relatives. A few seasons after that, focus began to shift toward other characters--namely Sara's cousin, Felicity King, and Felicity's relationship with the sea-fairing Gus Pike.

'Road to Avonlea' is an escape of sorts. It's an escape from the tumultuous reality of the present day into what could be considered to be a much simpler time. But just because it is considered to be a "family show" doesn't mean it lacks in drama. No. There is a little something for everyone. There's some comedy in there (the season one episode "Proof of the Pudding" is among the funniest in the series), there's some drama ("Thursday's Child" from season five, "The Return of Gus Pike" which kicked off the sixth season in Canada), there's romance (Gus and Felicity, Felix and Izzy, Olivia and Jasper, Alec and Janet, etc.), and the list goes on.

Do check it out if you get a chance. You may surprise yourself.
  • A rich girl goes to live with her cousins in a small town in Canada. Learns about values of family, friends and the heart of life in the 1800s. While living in a small town, she overcomes small talk, trouble, and death. She has adventures with her cousins

Truly a great series. If you are looking for adventure, family values, and good hearted storylines; then this is the show for you. A great series of the early 1990s and truly never out of date. I would recommend this show to anyone looking for those good old fashions shows and who are sick of 7th Heaven crap. Forget that boring drama about family, beacause that\'s not good at heart. Road to Avonlea is all about family and friends and the hardships of life in the 1800s Canada.