Roar

FOX (ended 1997)

Roar Fan Reviews (11)

7.9
  • Fantastic show.

If Heath would ever consider doing this show again.. Lets have it 10 years into where the show left off. Maybe he has a son now? hmmmm.. Either way, it would be really cool to see this on the Air again. :) I've only been able to watch it on DVD. Had I known that the show was on TV at the time I would have made time to watch it. Even if I had to skip an episode of Buffy TVS to do it. Fantastic writing, Fantastic stories, Fantastic Acting. I think I need a new word then Fantastic though.. Outstanding just about covers it.
  • Decent show, incredible music

While I enjoyed the plot behind this show, what really drew me in was the lovely celtic music that was so artfully played. That said I could find celtic music, but not another show like this one, it took a few episodes to get started (tho the primere was incredibly well done), and died far to early. Many of the relationships were just getting to the point were real romance might have sproated. Now I have to wonder whether Katlyne and Connor ever figure it all out.

I started this show in hopes that the plot would be similar to some of the druid myths, and continued watching not because it was (it wasn't really) but because I enjoyed the situations that Connor and the others had to get out of, some of which were their fault and others... Well they certainly had their share aof bad luck. Still without the music I probably wouldn't miss it nearly as much. A second season could help to finish so many of the random plot bunnies that were left to hang.
  • Great cast, great scripts, great music.

It was a summer replacement but I never even knew what it replaced. I found it by chance and scheduled my entire summer around it. It was charming and inventive. I could not believe this was television. Fantastic show. I sought out things with Ledger after this because he was so good in it. I saw every show and taped them so I could watch them again. Now I'd like to see a DVD of the series so I could own them. I'm a big fan of fantasy (Buffy was my joy back then). I just think the summer weather that year must have been fabulous or it wouldn't have failed.
  • I love it so much!

Roar was the best show I had seen in a long time, I have the complete series on it's way to my house complete with four episodes never aired! I can not wait, I can't believe they ever took Roar off, I do believe I cried. Roar rocks! I mean come on, the cast was awesome, the plot flawless, everything about it was just great! Who doesn't want to see Heath with an accent. Yes, he originally has an accent, but it's great to actually hear it. I loved teh whole story behind Longaness, the Roman soldier who stabbed Jesus in the side, that was a great back story! Overall the show just rocks!
  • A decent show!

7.3
    It's really sad when you think of how much potentially great television has been canceled by Fox TV.

It's easy to just think of Roar as some Dungeons and Dragons clone, but it was really so much more. Regardless of the genre of any television show, it's the characters that make or break a show, and Roar had some great characters. My two favorites where John Saint Ryan's Fergus and Sebastian Roche's Longinus. These are two really good actors who just don't get enough real work.

Had Roar been able to stay true to its epic story roots, with Conor trying to reunite Ireland, then this could have been a great show.
  • I really like this show.

man seeing 19 year old Heath Ledger in tight leather pants? I mean, he and Hayden Christianson are pretty much the only men in the world who can pull of a rat tail. It's amazing. I completely encourage anyone to watch this show, even if you aren't a teenage girl with an enormous chush on Heath Ledger. There are definately other positive things, such as the amazing specail effects and believeable story lines. Although TiVo is pretty much a necessity for this show (it airs at four in the morning), it is not something to be missed and everyone should definately tune in.
  • heath ledger on tv

i never saw this show during it's first run. when i caught it on the sci fi channel after it had been cancelled, i thought it was a pretty good show. i am sure heath ledger is glad to be out of tv, now that he has a good film career going for him. who would have thought he would go from playing a young scottsman on a sci fi tv show to playing a gay cowboy?
  • The most amazing show I have ever seen in my life!

May I just say that I want to marry whomever decided to put 19 year old Heath Ledger in tight leather pants? Not to mention Heath himself. I mean, he and Hayden Christianson are pretty much the only men in the world who can pull of a rat tail. It's amazing. I completely encourage anyone to watch this show, even if you aren't a teenage girl with an enormous chush on Heath Ledger. There are definately other positive things, such as the amazing specail effects and believeable story lines. Although TiVo is pretty much a necessity for this show (it airs at four in the morning), it is not something to be missed and everyone should definately tune in.
  • Conor

Gives me hope, adventure and the way of life. I love the episodes, I feel like I'm right by there side through all the tough times they have and they never give up hope. I'm the same way and some fans might feel the same way!! Rate this for me so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way!!
  • Now this is a good show for the pagans, wiccians, cletic, etc... For us to learn about our background...

This show is a teaching guide on how our elders use to be and how they tought the craft or magick. It also shows us how to do our alters,or how the christians took over our holidays. I believe it to be a good learning tool of a show. Yes there is a lot of fighting but then on the other hand it shows us how we had to do with what we do...come pair to how we teach and live today in our world...
  • Hear the roar...

I'd never heard of "Roar" until I saw a preview for it on the Sci Fi Channel, and even then I thought it was a movie. It seemed interesting so I read up on it. I finally tuned in to see it on the Sci Fi Channel but it was nearly over, and then I was never able to find it again. However, I did not easily forget the show, and when I discovered there were two out of print books for it, I asked for them for Christmas. I loved them and then finally saw that Sci Fi would be having a day-long marathon. I bought some tapes from Wal-Mart, faked sick from school that day, and set back to watch.

"Roar" is an EXCELLENT dark action-fantasy series that aired on FOX during the summer. It's by Shaun Cassidy, the man who brought us classics such as "American Gothic" and the ABC sci-fi thriller "Invasion". It stars Heath Ledger as an Irish prince who must lead the ancient Celts together to fight against the Roman empire, who is invading their land. "Roar" has everything: fantasy, action and adventure, romance, drama, suspense, and has great acting and directing.

One thing that attracts me to the show is its mix of both Celtic mythology and Christian mythology. I am a Christian and I love to read about the Celtic myths and legends, so this show was perfect to me.

It seems that "Roar" was initially very successful in its original timeslot, but FOX moved it to - you guessed it, Friday, where it died a quick death.

With "American Gothic" being released on DVD, I can only hope that "Roar" will also be released. It's a fantastic show and is one of the ones that really stand out for its uniqueness.