Robin Hood Forums

BBC (ended 2009)

Robin Hood to air in United States of America

dramafreezone

[21]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 16
    I enjoy this show, no matter how silly it can get. As for the original poster of this thread....well, sounds like the lowest level of ignorance if you're watching a show and going out of your way to dis it on websites if you dislike it so much. And passing that ignorance on to a 7 year old? I guess anyone can make children and then methodically ruin them before they get a chance to form opinions of their own. Poor kid. The poster should stay away from the TV and internet and work on getting a vasectomy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mazdem8090

[22]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 2

I think this show is amazing

Fun to watch

And very entertaining

One of my favorites

osdawaya16

[23]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 28
    I'm from America. And I love this show. Sure, it isn't one of the shows where you really have to concentrate hard to figure out what's going on, but it is very enjoyable for the whole family.

headphonez05

[24]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 11

It looks pretty good.

I'm gonna check it out anyway.

Alot of people give their opinion on shows they think are bad, but i usually turn out to like them.

RustyBattleship

[25]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 7

I personally like the show but their twists on the original legend and the goof ups of the prop department make it laughable as well as exciting.

Legend goof ups: In the legends, Robin Hood had to help the poor people because they were being overtaxed by the Sheriff of Nottingham to RAISE HOSTAGE MONEY for the release of King Richard from AUSTRIA.

The goof up is King Richard is still in the Holy Land so there would have been no reason for high taxation.

In the legends, Robin and his band use a long bow that supposedly had longer range and more accuracy.

In the show, Robin uses a RECURVE model of the long bow. Actually this makes sense. The legends do not say Robin was a Crusader, but if he was he would have copied the engineering improvement of the Muslim recurve bow (shorter than a long bow however) and applied it to the long bow. His bow maker must have thought he was crazy to put the grip on the "wrong" side of the bow.

In the legends, Robin and Marion eventually marry.

The season finally of season 2 has Marion being killed by Sir guy by impaling her on his broadsword. Unless her death is faked (the sword stayed in long enough for the blood vessels to congeal) or by some miracle she is dug up and still found alive, this ruins the legend altogether. According to the Sean Connery movie, he and Marion commit suicide together at an old age.

Prop master goof ups:

In Childhood and Walkabout, one of the children is using a slingshot with rubber bands. Elastic rubber was not invented in the 12th century yet. It still had another 700 years to go before vulcanization of rubber was discovered and another half century before neoprene rubber (with better and longer lasting) elasicity was designed for spear guns --- and slingshots.

At the beginning of another episode, Robin and his band are very well camoflaged with natural leaves, twigs and grass while observing a potential "customer" for robbing the rich to give to the poor. But Djaq's camo was attached to late 20th century hexagonal cammo netting used in Desert Storm. Several centuries too early for that.

Script goof ups:

In "A Good Day to Die", Robin semi-brags about his archery ability and he could kill a man at a thousand yards. NO hand drawn bow of ANY design (including modern compound bows) can shoot that far. A hundred yards would have been more believable.

Yet it's still a good adventure show, Keith Allen (a former comedian) playing the Sheriff is absolutely PERFECT for the part, Some of the tricks used by the band are a bit outlandish BUT entertaining. Robin looks like what he should look like. Guy needs a shave once in a while. I love Much as I used to have three men just like that worked for me (but I could always count on them finishing the job on time and correctly --- hmmm, maybe that's why they were always assigned to me because I could get the work out of them. My secret though was because I am as eccentric as they were but was a better actor in covering it up).

I am very dissappointed that ONLY Direct TV carries the BBCA channel. I feel sorry for the rest of my American adventure show lovers that use a different cable or satellite system.

I am heartbroken over the death of Mariaon (The Night Watchman - her stunt double was fantastic) and hope that is resolved in the 3rd season. But in any event, I will watch the show anyway.

Why? Because I watch TV for the following reasons:

1: Get the weather update.

1a: Get the latest Richter scale reading of the last Earthquake (I live in California).

2: Learn why the police cordoned off my street the other night.

3: For educational value (Military Channel, National Geographic, Discovery, etc.).

4: For combination education and entertainment (Dirty Jobs and Myth Busters -- okay, I'm infatuated by Kari Byron that gorgeous redhead on that show even though they screw up on some of the ways they analyze the myths they are busting).

5: For entertainment only -- which is Robin Hood.

Hmmm, I wonder if Ivanhoe (Roger Moore aka The Saint, aka Beau Maverick, aka James Bond) will make a guest appearance on the show.

Edited on 08/03/2008 10:37pm

RustyBattleship

[26]Nov 5, 2008

What happened to Robin Hood here in America? I have my recorder set to record all first run episodes and not a one has shown up.

Why did BBCA cancel the third season? It really ticks me off as I enjoyed the show very much (as well as catching historical goof-ups).

buffyangel4evr_

[27]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 20
    i agree that everyone has the right to their own opinion, so here's mine. i love bbc's robin hood. i'm wishing like crazy that bbc will air s3 here in the states. if i wanted a history lesson, i would watch the history channel. i want entertainment, and robin hood fits the bill perfectly. i love how the writers throw in a modern phrase/joke here and there. makes for a good chuckle. family friendly too, i don't have to send my kids out of the room when i watch. this show is a real winner in my humble opinion. thanks for reading!

The_MOW

[28]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    RustyBattleship wrote:

What happened to Robin Hood here in America? I have my recorder set to record all first run episodes and not a one has shown up.

Why did BBCA cancel the third season? It really ticks me off as I enjoyed the show very much (as well as catching historical goof-ups).

The show has NOT been cancelled. The show is currently off the air because Season 2 ended.

Season 3 begins this Spring.

tjaman

[29]Aug 30, 2009
    • level: 32
    I can't wait for it to return -- it's starting Saturday after next on BBC America, but there are a few S2 episode encores scheduled in anticipation. More extensive review in my podcast here. Enjoy!

buffyangel4evr_

[30]Sep 5, 2009
    • level: 20

Hmmm. I happened to be watching The Man With The Golden Gun on BBCAmerica and low and behold. In the corner of the screen i spot a lil tiny Robin Hood Series 3 promo. Yipee. Finally! DDCAmerica smartened up and decided to air Robin Hood S3.

tjaman

[31]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 32
    I'm not sure I'm enjoying this third and final season as much as I loved the first two, but mercurial as she is, I do kind of enjoy Isabella. You never know what she's going to do next.

Kalara

[32]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 5

I like this show very much. It's not Shakespeare, nor should it be. It's a fun show for older kids, and very enjoyable through almost the end of season 2.

No child should watch the end of season 2 or any of season 3. That's when it turns very dark. Season 3 is far better than I expected, but very much for adults.

I think the best thing about the program is Robin's nemisis Guy of Gisborne. Guy evolves episode by episode, and is always fascinating. The other actors all "reset" at the beginning of each episode, no matter what happens to them. Guy, though, is reason enough to watch the show.

Yaspaa

[33]Dec 8, 2009
    • level: 79
    Guy is my favourite as well. It is always shown around 6pm in the UK, I would think all seasons would be suitable for kids.

bkto

[34]Jul 29, 2011
    it is a little slow, and how he never hits anybody with the arrows is lame.. you can hit him in the shoulder or leg without killing him and then you can actually make it seem like he'd be able to win any of the fights.

i was hoping for another merlin, but it isn't as good i don't think, but its certainly no waste of time.

and Smallville is the most realistic show on television. i don't know he has to hate.