Robin of Sherwood Forums

ITV (ended 1986)

The Test of Time

LMH68

[1]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 57

So how does this show stand the test of time

Edited on 05/09/2009 9:32am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

speedy-Y-jive-O

[2]Mar 24, 2007
    • level: 9
    I've been watching Robin of Sherwood, at lunchtime on ITV3, recently. Now i've always thought fondly of it, but time hasn't been kind. The writing and action seem a bit clunky and the realism of the sets and costumes, i remembered, now don't seem so convicing. It must have something more than simple nostalgic pleasure for me, because i'll continue to watch.

emma5000

[3]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 33

not much going on in here ... (so i guess nobody is going to read this entry anyway ... )

i've been watching "robin hood" lately and i was really disappointed (by the weak story, the bad acting, ...) and i decided to recover from that by givng "robin of sherwood" a try (i hadn't seen it for ages, at least for ten years i guess ...). even though it seems a little antiquated by now i like it much better. for one there is some very good acting involved (especially by the alway good ray winstone and by clive mantle and both, michael praed and jason connery were way better than jonas armstrong) and after i hadn't been able to recall anymore how they replaced michael praed by jason connery and was prepared to really get angry about it, i'm surprised how well they mangaged.

i usually really like humour but when it comes to my childhood hero robin hood i'd rather have a serious approach and not some kind of a comedy like the one "robin hood" provided.

what i don't like too though is all the supernatural stuff in "robin of sherwood". of course, the middle ages seem to have been an age of superstition but "robin hood" was much more down too earth when it comes to that point.

Edited on 06/08/2007 9:57am

majken1974

[4]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 21
    i still like it, but not as much as when i was a child, my best friends children however loves it (they are 9 and 11), so i'd say it has stood the test of times

LMH68

[5]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 57

oh

Edited on 05/09/2009 9:34am
    Edited 2 total times.

rickyn2

[6]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 22
    LMH68 wrote:

So how does this show stand the test of time, particularly in light of the new Robin Hood show?

I am a huge fan of the first 2 series of Robin of Sherwood, it made my Saturdays.

But I haven't watched it in 10 years.  That's kind of been a deliberate decision.  I used to love Sapphire & Steel but when I watched it a few years back, I was disappointed (but I bet a new version in the right hands would have lots of potential). 

I don't want to be disappointed with Robin of Sherwood.

(note - I have recorded the new Robin Hood but haven't watched it as yet).

I was a big fan of this series - one of the reason's I haven't watched the new one. Didn't want to spoil it! Loved Saphire ans Steel to - though didn't like the way that series ended.

TrailofROS

[7]Sep 18, 2009
    • level: 1

We loved this show as kids and have grown up still enjoying it. I think it is far better than the rubbish version they've recently bought out. I mean what 12th Century maid would be a knife throwing expert like the Marion in the new series, for goodness sake! ROS was and still is the best version. It dealt with the social heirarchy as well as the beliefs of the common people. We love it!

In fact, call us bonkers, but we decided to visit as many of the locations they used in the show and created a website about it all. If you want a quick Robin of Sherwood fix, you can visit us for a taste of the nostalgia at www.trailofrobinofsherwood.co.uk.

Scarlett_Ohara

[8]May 12, 2010
    • level: 5

What a fantastic idea! I have always wanted to see all the locations so I will make sure I check out your website.

My response is years too late but I think it is a testament in itself that it has an enduring effect.

As for Robin of Sherwood standing up to the test of time.. in truth I don't think today's audience would give it a chance because the film used is very dated however for those fortunate enough to have watched it back in the day will be more inclined to look past it and enjoy the wonderful tales of magic and legend.

I purchased it on dvd and found the first 20 minutes a bit cheesy but I gave it a chance and by the next episode I was hooked. The combination of great acting, authentic sets, mist, forests and mood setting music by Clannad is just delightful, and I am yet to see anything that surpasses it.

As long as there is someone who continues to watch it then Nothing is forgotten.. Nothing is ever forgotten..