Robot Chicken

Boo Cocky

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Sep 07, 2008 on Cartoon Network

7.7
  • It seems to me like they just threw this episode together at the last minute. It wasn't bad, though. It wasn't that good either but still. It was so-so.

The writers were apparently under some kind of time constraint when they made this episode. In other Robot Chicken episodes, it is obvious that there is alot of time and effort put into them. This one only has a few funny sketches (while almost all the sketches in other episodes are funny). Probably the best sketch of this episode is the Tivo sketch, and even that one wasn't too good. My second biggest issue with this episode would have to be the number of sketches. Go ahead, count them next time you see the episode; there's only 9 of them. Usually there are alot more than that (for example, the episode Nightmare Generator has 16 sketches). Let's hope that the writers pick up the pace and get back to putting effort into their episodes.
  • What is best in life? Another great new episode of "Robot Chicken!" :idea:

This show never ceases to be funny! The writers always manage to take serious things and make them funny, or present us with the unexpected which is even funnier, or do both at the same time, which is the funniest thing of all! :idea: In this case, all of the sketches presented for this episode were winners! For instance, Conan the Barbarian is at his most articulate when he decides to sing! And what does he sing about? The hilarious antics of what happens when he acts out everything that is best in his life! A giant monster carrot blows our minds, the "Saved By the Bell Kids" prove themselves to be traitors to Screech when they try to kill him in an attempt to win a car in a "Saw" parody, the "Star Trek Experience" in Las Vegas unexpectedly saves the day from real life "Star Trek: the Next Generation" Borgs, and then there's the best sketch of all. A "Red Bull" Prison sketch. Even though it has the predictable occurence of the prisoners getting out of control, what isn't expected is a whole Tivo sequence within that sketch! And this includes show title parodies! "Seth Green's Power Hour, Wheel of Cheese, Moral Orel," and, "My Gym Partner's a Vampire," an obvious title parody of "My Gym Partner's a Monkey!" It's one small step to one giant leap until "Robot Chicken" actually parodies "My Gym Partner's a Monkey!" It will be so cool when that day finally comes! And "Robot Chicken's" willingness to parody any show that's ever been or is still currently airing on T.V. is the main reason why I am dedicated to watching this show so much! :D And that's why I wrote this review! :!: Enough said, true believers! ;)
  • This episode was good and probably better than some of the more lackluster episodes of season three, but it just didn't feel as special as the episodes from seasons one and two.

I really enjoyed Robot Chicken in seasons one and two, but season three has been more miss than hit lately. This episode had some glorious concepts, like "Sawed by the Bell" and "Star Trek Experience," but it seems most of the sketches from this episode and season three are lacking that quality that was there during season 1, where they seemed to "make every second count" with respect to utilizing the time for jokes. Now they tell a joke, wait five seconds while looking into the camera, and then go on. It's unnecessary for them to do this, and it really comes off as a little lazy. They could've done a lot more with the sketches had they really made every second count, especially with "Sawed by the Bell," considering they used only one scene from the movie and didn't really have any of the characters pay major consequences for their actions. The sketch reminded me of the Scooby-Doo/ Friday the 13th from season 2, but the Scooby-Doo sketch actually went on a limb, killing off all the characters besides Velma, and revealed Jason to be one of their run-of-the-mill villains.

Something happened to the writing staff between seasons two and three, and it just seems like they think they can get away with mediocre writing now. If this trend continues into the next season, I'm reconsidering whether or not I bother collecting the dvds.