Robot Chicken

Boo Cocky

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Sep 07, 2008 on Cartoon Network

7.7
  • This episode was good and probably better than some of the more lackluster episodes of season three, but it just didn't feel as special as the episodes from seasons one and two.

I really enjoyed Robot Chicken in seasons one and two, but season three has been more miss than hit lately. This episode had some glorious concepts, like "Sawed by the Bell" and "Star Trek Experience," but it seems most of the sketches from this episode and season three are lacking that quality that was there during season 1, where they seemed to "make every second count" with respect to utilizing the time for jokes. Now they tell a joke, wait five seconds while looking into the camera, and then go on. It's unnecessary for them to do this, and it really comes off as a little lazy. They could've done a lot more with the sketches had they really made every second count, especially with "Sawed by the Bell," considering they used only one scene from the movie and didn't really have any of the characters pay major consequences for their actions. The sketch reminded me of the Scooby-Doo/ Friday the 13th from season 2, but the Scooby-Doo sketch actually went on a limb, killing off all the characters besides Velma, and revealed Jason to be one of their run-of-the-mill villains.

Something happened to the writing staff between seasons two and three, and it just seems like they think they can get away with mediocre writing now. If this trend continues into the next season, I'm reconsidering whether or not I bother collecting the dvds.