TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Robotech Forums

(ended 1988)

How did you get into this series?

Ripplin

[1]Jul 2, 2005
    • level: 12
    For a long time, I enjoyed anime, but hadn't really gotten into a big series. I watched plenty of Astro Boy when I was younger, but Robotech is the first "epic" series, you might say, that I've watched.

Due to a lack of cable for many years, or just being in school when it was on, I never saw it during its original North American run. Around a year ago, I saw some of the DVDs in a store for around $8 each and thought "wow, a great bargain for a show I've always wanted to see!" I was not disappointed. Soon after, I bought the entire 21-disc set and am currently building a collection for a friend, too.

Needless to say, I found the series very impressive. I had actually seen many elements of it around 10 years ago because a friend had the RPG books. I liked the designs so much that I actually photocopied a ton of pages from those books and still have them today. I had no idea how deep and interesting the storyline was, though.

Now I'm into an anime called Dai Guard and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a laugh! Hilarious tongue-in-cheek humor and lots of poking fun at bureaucracy and the headaches it involves. One of my favorite lines comes from the pilot of Dai Guard (a giant robot) after he makes it fall three times. He's sitting there, frustrated, and says "didn't they say that bipedal mecha were stable even on rough terrain in those old animes?"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KinomiyaMichiru

[2]Jul 10, 2005
    • level: 18
    My father's a big mecha fan.It's a well-known mecha series.

Parsec54

[3]Jul 26, 2005
    • level: 20
    I havent't been able to see it for a lonnnnng time, and I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing, unfortunately. I HAVE read the novels though which helped me a great deal in catching up with things and keeping it all straight. I had been hoping to get the series some day on DVD, but if there actually are 21 of them I sincerely doubt that will ever happen, due to a very limited budget.

Ripplin

[4]Jul 29, 2005
    • level: 12
    I'd suggest checking eBay from time to time. You can find really good deals, even on complete sets. There seems to be no shortage of them for sale, either, so when the time is right, you'll be likely to find something in your price range.

marvelfan89

[5]Aug 6, 2005
    • level: 39
    I got into it because Fox, here in LA actually
    did market the show pretty well in the
    afternoons, this was the boom of the 80's
    cartoon. You had to be blind not to notice
    it.

The 80's truly were in a genre of its own
    when it comes to toons.

oberst2

[6]Aug 10, 2005
    • level: 4
    to meny war movies and game and a lot of transformers tatt give a basic ander standig of the robotech basic line if you take a wey the love and not tink about transfomers robots and robotech mech you get the the same basic story line in the start transfomers orginal the atobots lanje ark from the HQ the robotech its lanje sdf 1. the atobots have the desepecons on the tail and get borde and krace on a alien planet (ehart) the sdf 1 must get a emersensy lanje but must yous the fold opareijon put get wit it the marcoss island wit it to the back of the moon you get the point

dstorres

[7]Sep 9, 2005
    • level: 5
    I was one of those lucky few that caught it (bits and pieces) during its initial run. It took me about 2 or 3 times to see the whole series but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

To this day I credit it for getting me into Japanese anime.

It is an excellent series (with mistakes, no ones perfect) and much better than some of the series that are brought over these days and dubbed.

Stitch888486

[8]Sep 20, 2005
    • level: 14
    I'm not exactly sure but i think i saw this for the first time on cartoon network. Since then its been an intresting series.

Angus_Mac

[9]Oct 5, 2005
    • level: 71
    Local broadcast TV weekday afternoons.

VMF-214

[10]Oct 16, 2005
    • level: 55
    When I was stationed in Japan. Great Series.

uurmek

[11]Nov 7, 2005
    • level: 5
    I got into it when it started airing on Cartoon Network's Toonami. I was into the whole giant robot thing from watching Gigantor, but Robotech just blew my mind with how completely and utterly awesome it was. It's still my favorite anime, if not my favorite show of all time.

skyvolt2000

[12]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 27
    You should give the original version of the series a try. Especially the Southern Cross version. The Bowie and Rolf Emerson relationship is the same except Bowie's mention him as his father.

MajehKing

[13]Nov 21, 2005
    • level: 16
    Funny story. I started reading the novels when I was in grade school. Then I saw the tv series on CN back in 98. I loved it ever since.

DarkApoca

[14]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 9
    Got 2 video casettes one christmas from my big sister of the beginning. so when a friend told me about a great site for anime and manga I bought the whole series from there.

edmorita

[15]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 22
    I grew up with this series. It was on every morning, and again in the afternoons after school in Hawaii.

Historygrad2005

[16]Jan 6, 2006
    • level: 10
    I grew up with it partly and then watched it over on pbs when they did showed it a lot on saturday evenings sometimes.

CAPNDEL

[17]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 14
    wpix 11 dallas texas summer 1985

SailorCallie

[18]May 18, 2006
    • level: 11

Ripplin wrote:
    For a long time, I enjoyed anime, but hadn't really gotten into a big series. I watched plenty of Astro Boy when I was younger, but Robotech is the first "epic" series, you might say, that I've watched.

Due to a lack of cable for many years, or just being in school when it was on, I never saw it during its original North American run. Around a year ago, I saw some of the DVDs in a store for around $8 each and thought "wow, a great bargain for a show I've always wanted to see!" I was not disappointed. Soon after, I bought the entire 21-disc set and am currently building a collection for a friend, too.

Needless to say, I found the series very impressive. I had actually seen many elements of it around 10 years ago because a friend had the RPG books. I liked the designs so much that I actually photocopied a ton of pages from those books and still have them today. I had no idea how deep and interesting the storyline was, though.

Now I'm into an anime called Dai Guard and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a laugh! Hilarious tongue-in-cheek humor and lots of poking fun at bureaucracy and the headaches it involves. One of my favorite lines comes from the pilot of Dai Guard (a giant robot) after he makes it fall three times. He's sitting there, frustrated, and says "didn't they say that bipedal mecha were stable even on rough terrain in those old animes?"

To Tell the Truth: I got into Robotech out of curiosity. It
    started when I first got the Sci-Fi Channel back in 1994, and back then they
    aired cartoons in the mornings and Robotech was among them?

It wasn't until 1998 when Cartoon network aired Robotech, and that includes
    deliberately omitting the New Generation arc, that got me hooked big time. I
    even bought all 21 novels by Jack McKinney so that I would read them during my
    spare time.

I've finally got around to getting the Robotech RPG books via eBay earlier this decade, and I haven't
    looked back since.

devwells

[19]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 2

When it was showing on Cartoon Network, I'd caught just a couple of episodes here and there from the Macross and Southern Cross sagas. Since I was just getting into anime, this prompted me to rent Macross II, the only Macross movie available at my local Blockbuster. I actually liked it, so when I found the second of the McKinney Robotech novels in my high school's library, I picked that up, read it, and liked it.

Sometime after that, I caught the first episode when CN moved it to the midnight Toonami. By this time, I'd decided to start the book series from the beginning, and I absolutely loved it. And, in between reading that and watching (and recording) the weekly Toonami showings, I became something of a Robotech fan.

Strangely enough, I've never managed to see all of Robotech, since CN took it off the air. I've seen the whole the Macross Saga, and about half of the Southern Cross, and no more than two of the New Generation. However, I read the entire book series, and the story is definitely one of my favorites.

sandrock86

[20]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    I got into it when my cousin bought the game, Robotech: Battlecry, which came with the first episode. So he bought a box set of the first 12 episodes. I watched it. Then I bought the whole series off of ebay. lol