Roc

FOX (ended 1994)

Roc Fan Reviews (5)

7.6
  • Should have continued

I never saw this when it was first on, but have been watching it regularly on Bounce TV. I think the characters and storyline are great, with great acting. My question is: would anyone happen to know why this series was discontinued after the third season? IMO, there could have been many more storylines, such as, Andre Thompson going straight and becoming a good guy against drugs, Joey getting a real job and becoming successful, and possibly settling down with one of his gorgeous lady friends (like Kim), Roc continuing to try and be a leader in the community, etc. If anyone knows, it would be nice to hear. Thanks.
  • Even tho Roc's head looked like a ROC, this show was pretty good.

7.8
    Roc played a Baltimore trash collector, not a junk man like Sanford & Son, who lives with his wise-cracking elderly father and playboy/musician brother Joey. Although Roc did tend to overact in some scenes, that was often part of the appeal and humor of the show. Think Frazier on the flip side. I don't think this show got the credit it deserved.
  • way better than the cosby show

6.9
    this show probably got the green light because of the sucess of the cosby show. that and the fact fox needed to put something on the air. i thought it was a great show. it touched on a lot of real issues affecting urban youth. a whole lot more than you ever saw on the cosby show.
  • Hailed as a modern day "The Honeymooners", theater actors make this a must see. Charles S. Dutton and company show all that come after how to put on a well written and very entertaining sitcom that doesn't insult and doesn't rely on buffoon type antics.

Between "Roc" and "King of Queens", the movie remake of the classic sitcom, "The Honeymooners" was totally unecessary.

Charles S. Dutton caputes the spirit of a modern day "Ralph Kramden" with his thrifty qualities; holding on tight to his money, constant arguements with his family ... Though the love between "Roc" and "Eleanor" is displayed more often and in depth than "Ralph & Alice".

Like with Bill Cosby's sitcoms, "Roc" manages to take issues like homelessness, drugs, unemployment and wrapped them up in a package that allows you to get lost in the episode. Also, we get see "fogotten" personalities like Kim Fields, Richard Roundtree and Oscar Brown Jr. in delightful guest starring roles.

This show goes in the same category as: Frank's Place, The Cosby Show, Cosby, A Different World, Linc's and South Central.
  • Roc was a true classic.

Roc was on my favorites and I was very sorry to see that FOX dropped the show only after a few years. The actors in the show were talented and could deliver their lines and make you believe you were right there with them.
    When FOX took the chance and took ROC Live it was a bold move and a risky gamble but yet the actors held up and showed what their stage talents could do.
    Rocky Carrol and Carl Gordon were the perfect additions to the show has they added that true element of family life which is missing from many shows.