Rock Star

Chris Doesn't Cut It

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 12, 2006 on CBS

7.9
  • Jill and Zayra get another chance.

6.9
    Jill and Zyra, who would be excellent picks for overall winner, if this were a karaoke contest, were in the bottom three and sang again. Supernova liked the songs they did, even though Zayra did the same song they didn't like the night before, she ignored their advice, did it the same, and it was good enough to keep her around.

They didn't like Chris, who really never had a strong performance. No shock that he was kicked out, but it was surprising that Zayra wasn't shown the door first, as she is clearly the weakest link in the chain.
  • Chris showed the most improvement… so they eliminated him.

Jill does another in her series of impersonations of female artists by performing Evanescence’s “Bring Me To Life”.

Zayra follows up by ding the same song that she destroyed the night before. It was bad on Tuesday and surprisingly, it was still bad on Wednesday. Ironically they started the show by telling the contestants how important it was to pay attention to the criticism and advice of the judges. Instead of improving, Zayra responded by being just as clueless.

On the other hand, Chris showed the most improvement of the three, and was the only one of the three to have followed up on the advice given by Supernova… so they eliminated him.
  • Much better than last week's show.

Let me first start out with a negative to what was an otherwise great elimination episode. I did not like how the producers spent the last 8 minutes of the show. Rather than let the guy that got kicked off one more time (for the second time), they carried out the goodbyes and gave the guy a chance to plug his band and their new album.

Back to the positive--I loved how the band members were all relatively positive. I feel as though constructive criticism really helps the singers improve their weekly performances.

While I know that most people loved Toby's encore performance of "Somebody Told Me," I was not nearly as impressed. It seemed to me to be a straight cover without any artistic license on his part.

I did, however, love the acoustic version of the Tonic song that the guy that got kicked off sang. Although I felt as though he got the short end of the straw this week, I have no problem with who still remains. As a side note, I was hoping Zadya got booted.
  • I better elimination show than the last...

This one was very interesting and I liked more than the week 1 elimination show.

Toby did a great job, again, and we got to see a very interesting side of him trying to make everybody look at the critics as they are... just like the band said, they are looking for a leader and I think it was good for him.

The thing that I din´t like was who ultimately get eliminated and it´s that I just don´t think that Zayra after the things she had done (it was very impolite what she told the band yesterday, after all she is supposed to be trying to get along with them!!) and above it, why singing the same song that got you in trouble????? Well, apparently it was what they wanted... I don´t know, I´m just not with the band on that.

Finally, how others have said, its getting there, are the first shows and its good already.

PS: thanxs for the band not trying to be "simon", it´s better when you are kind to people too, also because they are not trying to just copy another show as some try to do.