Rock Star Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

SuperNova vs House Band? Better not to win?

guidryp

[1]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 8
    I think if the runner up prize was touring with the house band, that would be preferable. I think there is much more talent in the house band than in SN. I can't imagine SN lasting past the first album, one shot support tour.

If the top four are Magni, Storm, Lukas, Dilana(as many expect). Who needs SN and who does SN need? Would it be better to finish second and go solo for most of these folks?

I really think Storm stands easily on her own and doesn't need SN and also doesn't really fit SN. Not sure about the others. Magni is very talented but a bit bland, he doesn't seem an ideal fit, but I don't know where he goes on his own. Lukas and Dilana strike me as the best fits.

I can't say I am very excited about SN whoever they finish with. More interested to see what some of these folks do that they have been given more exposure.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

timberjake

[2]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    I'm new to watching Rockstar. So, I don't know if winners are really taken very seriously as a permanent member.

It seems like a low risk publicity stunt for bands and get a disposable singer on the cheap. If they are great and a good fit fine, but the format only limits the selection to a limited starting pool of talent. Ordinarily they could add others for consideration as they go in real life. Ordinarily they would probably foot the cost of advertising and auditioning candidates on their own, but here it's "live TV" and in your face and a gimmick to hopefully gain a built in audience and showcase some of their songs.

However, last night's original Supernova song didn't really impress me as much as the performance and presentation by Dilana. So I hope they come up with some better songs.

Whoever wins will get a contract, but for how long and under what conditions? It would seem if it doesn't work out they'll dump him or her quickly and just find someone else.

Could you imagine if they started with a bunch of Patrices and Zayra's? Some of the marginal singers were probably chosen for tv than the band.

RJ-viewer

[3]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 51
    timberjake wrote:
    I'm new to watching Rockstar. So, I don't know if winners are really taken very seriously as a permanent member.

It seems like a low risk publicity stunt for bands and get a disposable singer on the cheap. If they are great and a good fit fine, but the format only limits the selection to a limited starting pool of talent. Ordinarily they could add others for consideration as they go in real life. Ordinarily they would probably foot the cost of advertising and auditioning candidates on their own, but here it's "live TV" and in your face and a gimmick to hopefully gain a built in audience and showcase some of their songs.

However, last night's original Supernova song didn't really impress me as much as the performance and presentation by Dilana. So I hope they come up with some better songs.

Whoever wins will get a contract, but for how long and under what conditions? It would seem if it doesn't work out they'll dump him or her quickly and just find someone else.

Could you imagine if they started with a bunch of Patrices and Zayra's? Some of the marginal singers were probably chosen for tv than the band.

Not neccessarily. They supposedly have auditions and try-outs and pick from over 1,000 auditions. So they probably actually audition way MORE people than they would have if they were doing it on the private. Of course they have people that shouldn't be in the "final 15" on the show, but I think they probably have it narrowed down to 4 or 5 before the show ever starts, that would explain the randomness of the early eliminations, because they weren't paying attention to the "elimination night" performances, just kicking out people that weren't on the final list.

I don't think the "live tv" thing is a drawback, because there have been mistakes and bad performances that they have praised to the hills, making it appear that they have decided in advance who's going to get good or bad comments each week.

Last season was different in that INXS had been flailing away in obscurity without a lead singer. Whether they realize it or not, JD (last year's winner) is a bigger star than anyone else in the band. The "winner" (there is evidence to suggest that JD was pre-selected) also had to go to a pre-existing band and most of the concert will be INXS songs from back when they were famous. OTOH, Supernova, while maybe only having a limited stage life, are not a rehash of an old band. They are doing original material. INXS required the contestants to do old INXS songs.

So, it's a bit different.

I ramble.

guywiththeeye

[4]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 4
    well if you watch the unedited part when Phil gets elminated, Phil basically got kicked off for saying in the paper that he didn't really like supernova and he was just trying to get attention on his band Lennex.  That makes me wonder how serious the singers take this contest, I mean I can't image supernova lasting. 

RagDolly

[5]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 21

guidryp wrote:
    If the top four are Magni, Storm, Lukas, Dilana(as many expect). Who needs SN and who does SN need? Would it be better to finish second and go solo for most of these folks?
    Lucass needs them the most Magni, Storm, Dilana can do just fine without supernova

RJ-viewer

[6]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 51
    RagDolly wrote:

guidryp wrote:
    Lucass needs them the most Magni, Storm, Dilana can do just fine without supernova

That's a really good point. I can't imagine wanting to hear a Lukass solo cd. But the others are quality entertainers who's performances could be entertaining, even without Tommy Lee backing them up.

MetalSmasher86

[7]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 18
    The thing that peeves me the most about Supernova is that their members used to be in hard rock/metal bands (Gilby from Guns N Roses, Tommy from Motley Crue, and Jason from Metallica), but their new music with Supernova has gone soft! Where's the hard, headbanging stuff these guys used to belt out?

noahcrash

[8]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 19
    MetalSmasher86 wrote:
    The thing that peeves me the most about Supernova is that their members used to be in hard rock/metal bands (Gilby from Guns N Roses, Tommy from Motley Crue, and Jason from Metallica), but their new music with Supernova has gone soft! Where's the hard, headbanging stuff these guys used to belt out?

I agree! It seems they want to play the "If you can't beat em join em" routine! I hope they reconsider.