Rock Star

Matt Sings the Wrong Song

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 06, 2006 on CBS

7.8
  • A plot twist, or "that's why they call it reality"

After Dilana does the first encore of the season, we discover that the contestants will get to pick the song they want on elimination night! Sounds like a big advantage for the performers, doesn't it?

Chris comes on first, and sets the bar low with a spotty performance of "LA Woman". He could have really used the song to display some vocal gymnastics, but there were none. Phil goes next and has an equally questionable performance. By the time Matt came on stage, I was thinking if I was Tommy I'd tell Matt not to bother, and just kick Chris AND Phil out.

Matt's got a great voice, and probably shouldn't have been in the bottom three. He certainly wasn't one of the three worst performances from night #1. Then... Matt informs them he's going to do Duran Duran's "Planet Earth". I'm still okay with that, because it's a well written song and played with balls and guitars could really rock.

Instead, we were treated to the standard Duran Duran arrangement, and Phil even through in a little Simon le Bon dance step at one point.

Matt might tear up Idol or America's got Tallent, or some other show, but not here. Not when you pull that tune out to display your hard rock credibility.
  • If you don´t want to know how gets eliminated... don´t read...

In the first elimination Matt is dismissed and it was the one who had to be. He just didn´t get the Supernova thing... if you are gonna sing for them, common! Duran Duran! when he said that, he started to dig his grave...

For the rest of the episode, practically the only thing exciting was seen againg Dilana, she is so fantastic. It´s just that the idea of seen the three with the minor votes sings, for some thing they didn´t get them, they didn´t sing well!!!

But, I have to say that with the weeks it should get very interesting because also the good ones will get in some point in the bottom three, so it will be exciting to watch.

I love the idea of Supernova being the ones that at the end decides who gets to leave, because after all theyre the ones who are getting their name out there for the band... not all can be leaved to the audience.