Rocket Power

Race Across New Zealand

Aired Weekdays 4:30 AM Feb 16, 2002 on Nickelodeon

• The Rocket Gang travel to New Zealand to compete in the Junior Waikikamukau Extreme Sports competition. A hardly amusing and broadly ignorant overview of New Zealand ensues.

As a New Zealander, I found this episode offensive and under-researched. I did not find it humorous, and we New Zealanders are usually the first people to make fun of ourselves. The accents were utterly terrible - not only were they Australian accents, but poorly performed Australian accents. Not just an insult to New Zealand, but to Australia as well. The Maori culture (of the people indigenous to the country) was grossly misrepresented. I am Maori and did not enjoy seeing the way in which my people were portrayed. While there are some similarities between Hawaiian and Maori cultures, do not presume that because you know one, you know the other. Maoris are not Hawaiians! The pronunciation of Maori words was shocking and stripped these usually beautiful words of all discernable meaning. Also, the kiwi is a nocturnal bird and would never be seen in daylight. A bit more careful research would have avoided all these errors. The writers of this show have only succeeded in showing their ignorance of anything outside their own world. There, now I've had my rant. Thank you for reading.