Rocket Power

Nickelodeon (ended 2004)

CyberCartoon

Rocket Power Fan Reviews (76)

• Not a good show, strong contender for "the worst"

3.5
    I was born at the tail end of 1990 when things were rosy and before all of the awful things we were subjected to beginning in 2001. You know you've got to take the good with the bad though. One of those bad things was Rocket Power.

It holds the distinction of being created literally months before the end of the 90's. The 90's were extreme and they were awesome, but Rocket Power represents the gross misuse and inept interpretation of these concepts. I mean Rocket Power is an awful name. The show is kind of like a self parody and that is always how I viewed it. i remember viewing the premiere and watching the show in it's infancy, always knowing the show would be awful.

Believe me, I gave it a chance and I watched almost every episode, until I could take no more and my family got more cable channels. I guess it's noble that the show promoted sports and I was and am a fan of the EXTREME SPORTS. At the same time though, the characters that participated in these sports were consistenly portrayed as douche nozzles.

Let me be more specific. Pretty much every single character in the show is a tool, atleast half the time, if not most of the time. Maybe some people view this show with rose colored glasses, but honestly the characters try way too hard. Like others have pointed out they are bratty, arrogant, egotistical, shallow, shameless, and posers. It seems like when they try to be themselves, they are total jerks. The adults in the show seem to be slightly moronic. Now that I think about it they seem to be pretty aimless and shallow, which explains why some of the kids act like they do. The adults are far more likeable and respectable than the four main kids though.

Of special mention is Squid. I actually am from Kansas and he is a pretty realistic character. It's not unusual for someone from Kansas or someone like us to hang out with tool bags or jerks. We are easy going, but we don't let them tell us what to do, we don't let them put us down all the time, and we don't call them friends. We are open and we try everything, excepting that which is obviously overly dangerous with no reward and we aren't going to snowboard or surf all the time! Squid is spineless and pathetic and it seems to be the whole point of his existence, which is just depressing.

This show is ok or mildly entertaining at best. I have never enjoyed it and never called myself a fan, despite frequently watching it, even the reruns. As a child, or young teenager even, I watched it with contempt laughing only at each character's failures.

It taught me to not TRY to be cool, it taught me not to give in to peer pressure without due thought, it taught me how empty an existence the cool kids can live. So maybe the show is good in that sense. Like I said, ironic and a self parody right? If you truly enjoyed this show, and I hate to be judgemental here, but I think that says something about YOU.