Rocko's Modern Life

Nickelodeon (ended 1996)

mysterytipster

Rocko's Modern Life Fan Reviews (184)

• Rocko Monder Life Rocks!

One of My favroite Nick Show got canned for no reason beacause it's werid yet CatDog is re-runing itself Why?

beacsue they want childern to watch bullies alway win well for one thing CatDog is more "Tak & the Power of Juju" than "Veggietales" slick if soul less

but Rocko will alway be Nick's verson of Veggietales beacause Ed Big Head never overdose the villian thing like Rancid Rabbit so Nick, I ask you to Bring it Back beause Link TV got an E-Mail saying that Rocko should air on May on Link TV Rock will always be loved by millions, Bring it Back.

I think it's kind of stupid that the 90's Are All That would replace this show for that dumb CatDog show. CatDog is TeenNick's version of Johnny Test. (hate CatDog now?)
  • Top Shows (of the 90s)

Various ep (96-00)
  • Good show, but I prefer spongebob.

This show was a pretty cool show. I didn't exactly grew up with it, but when I first watched it when I was 10, I really liked it. The show has really nice and fluid animation and the slapstick is pretty good too. But sometimes, the show can get reeeeeeeeealy wierd. Like in one episode, mr bighead imagined a meatball coming to life and then they went out on a date or something. And in another episode, rocko's teeth came to life, grew extra large and started acting like gozilla. Ooooookaaay? Also I can't beleive how many sexual innuendos this show got away with! If any modern cartoon was like this show, it would probably piss of a million soccermoms. But overall, really cool, but also really weird show. But I like spongebob better.
  • best show on nick

This show is amazing. Nick is really struggling now, with 'rocket monkeys' and 'hearts and farts'. Nicks glory days were obviously the 1900s. The shows like ren and stimpy, angry beavers, and rockos modern life, it was the best kids station. But with constant Spongebob, teen shows, and Nick studio 10, it sucks. Nick should bring these shows back.
  • Classic

Title says it all
  • Nickelodeon is trying to cover this show up.

They never put this show in their Nick Rewind segments, or even put it on demand. Other shows, such as Catdog, Angry Beavers, Rugrats, and even Ren and Stimpy are always on demand or on the nick rewind. This will not do. They need to reshow this gem so the next generation can know what an awesome cartoon this was, and still is.
  • Awsome Show

This show was awsome. I love Rocko's Modern Life. I wish it was never cancelled.
  • Amazing. Period.

I can't really explain the awesomeness of this show into words, all I can say is Rocko's Modern Life is one of the greatest cartoons from the 90s. Why they ended it? I have no idea. All I can say is that the show was clever and funny and it was really entertaining. Sure, it did show some elements unsuitable for children, but hey, it seems like every show did that back in the day. The creator of this went on to create what again? Camp Lazlo? Yeah...Definately didn't live up to this masterpiece.
  • why cancelled?

The series was within my top ninety, until I found out (from the wikipedia) that it had A LOT of sexual content and reference. After that, it came into my top 50. Too good for its era, I guess
  • The Golden 90s

For me, the 90s were the golden age of cartoons but maybe because that's when I grew up? I think it's more than that. This was around the time cartoons more commonly started integrating some more adult content. I'm fully aware that The Flintstones was THE first animated series directed towards adults, but at the time, it was still considered a tame show. Then my point leads to The Simpsons which was an IDEAL 90s animated series. The Simpsons catered to adults in a more vigor way, however, children might have a hard time getting into it.

However, this all might've triggered a new wave of cartoon influence that also eventually leaked into the channels directed towards children. Nickelodeon in this case, Cartoon Network... not so much. There's still one element I want to talk about still so I'll come back to this.

THE 90s Nick show according to the general is Ren & Stimpy. Ren & Stimpy combines a retrospective level of animation and physics associated with Looney Toons even and fuses with occasional adult content. I've watched a lot of cartoons back then, including Ren & Stimpy and the subject here; Rocko's Modern Life. Enjoy them both, but at the time I was also oblivious to the adult content while obviously not pushing through the PG line, yet, my attention remains captured because these shows are about appealing to children and adults alike which was an issue finally addressed. Because you have the anthropomorphic characters fashioned through animation/physics of a 40s/50s revival type of style and pairs it with occasional references that the "adults" would understand.

When these shows' respective series have ended, yes I did move on, until around mid 2000s I remember catching a Rocko's Modern Life episode late at night on a Nick channel and it was heart-warming, brought back memories. Nostalgia effect probably, but because I have aged a little more, I now understand more things about these two shows than I previously haven't.

But now the history lesson is out of the way I want to settle the score in which of those two shows I actually like more. Rocko likely derived from Ren & Stimpy which sparked a little accusation of parasitism (I don't care about this. Influence is natural and I do believe in exceeding over your peers). Animation fluency and physics from both shows are good and you'll always get an element of laugh-ability from either. Ren & Stimpy however did last longer.

But now here is why I prefer Rocko's Modern Life. It has all of the contents I've previously described, yet it still manages to be warm and homey where as Ren & Stimpy might get a little carried away. I have a far bigger connection to the characters as well. Rocko himself is a mild-mannered down to Earth wallaby, friendly, not looking for attention, but nevertheless situations that dart at him brings the most out of his character, including timidness, sadness and irritation. Rocko is probably my favorite cartoon character ever created. Heffer the steer is a mooch (in a good way) and sort of like a frat boy buddy to Rocko. Filburt is a finicky and oftentimes bi-polar turtle.

The setting is like everyday life of young adulthood (love, finance, community, etc) with realistic elements and some fantasy ones mixed together and it oftentimes parodies/satires some of the objects on the show to real life.

All together, there are so many elements in this show, elements that would even seem to contrast with each other... but it doesn't. Childish, adult, warm, punishing, friendly, aggressive. All of it is there. I just wish the show didn't stop at 4 seasons, because I can't get enough of it.

I'm not discrediting Ren & Stimpy by any means. It's still my second favorite animated series ever.
  • I like it, its actually not that bad, it's pretty appealing.

Now trust me, I am a BIG 90's fan. I like Nickelodeon's 90's cartoons, I don't know why, I used to love watching them as a kid. Even though I was 5 when it first came out, I still enjoyed t, even though I didn't understand most of it. I mean, I'm not gonna say I don't like this show, but I don't prefer it. It isn't my favorite cartoon ever, but I'm gonna have to say it's really appealing and that it's fairly but mostly awesome.
  • One of my favourites ever since I was a child!

This show has to be one of the best cartoons that have ever aired.

I remember always watching this show with my dad when I was younger, it was something that COULD NOT be missed.

The humor was so good, and the art style very appealing.

Forever a classic.
  • Loved IT!

i don't remember any memories of this show cause i was born near the end of 1995, but older brother had the whole series and i highly enjoyed it! :) this is what modern cartoons should be! this show has funny humour, and is very entertaining! my family even saw a few episodes from my brothers collection, and they enjoyed it too! i bet your family is gonna enjoy this! :)
  • I can see why everyone loves this show....

It's good i like Rocko's Modern Life it's a series about a wallabee and a steer(also known as a Cow no not the cow as in swearing a Moo cow) and a turtle together they have crazy yet funny adventures in O-Town also in the show is two toads one a grumpy toad two a nice gentle toad classic and funny show unlike some shows today like Robotboy and My Gym Partner is a Monkey period and this was actually good so i rate it a 10 please put brand new episodes on TV Joe Murray.
  • What's Not To Like About Rocko?

Rocko's Modern Life has got to be one of Nickelodeon's greatest cartoons, but for some strange reason, is also one of the shortest lived Nick programs. While programs such as "Rugrats" and "SpongeBob" seem(ed) to live on and on - there was only ever a handful of Rocko seasons ever produced...
    This cartoon starts off each episode with a great intro theme - "That was a HOOT!" (actually sung by the fantastic B52s)!
    It concerns a Wallaby (named Rocko) and his best friend Heffer (the Steer). Also featuring is Filbert (the Turtle), Mr And Mrs Big Head (a couple of Toads who are Rocko's neighbors) and Dr Hutchinson (a Cat - and Filbert's girlfriend).
    Rocko lives in the city of O-Town.
    The voice of Heffer was supplied by Tom Kenny (who also does the voice of Dog on "CatDog", and of course he also supplies the (sometimes very annoying)voice of SpongeBob SquarePants).
  • "I'm nauseous, I'm nauseous!!

I can't say that I don' only miss this show, but I absolutely love this show. It definitely deserves the term "classic." Rocko's Modern Life is basically a guilty pleasure of mine since I used to watch this show in my early childhood as well. It's so realistic on how they write about a character who has the life like any other existing person on the planet. Living on your own, paying for bills, having your own responsibility, etc... All throughout this series that has a realistic feel, the writers take advantage of their ability and make use on what ideas that are already given, to still make it seem cartoony like any typical animation series. This is overall a very cute, fun, silly and heartwarming show but the reason why I gave it a 9.1 and not a 10 is because there are of course a few flaws and episodes that aren't exactly my taste, but still very tasteful overall.
  • This show is a really great show. The adult jokes are really funny, and it's just so awesome that they can get away with it!

Rocko is definitely my favorite character. He's just so cute and sweet! He has one FUNKY Hawaiian t shirt on, he's really friendly and I lust love his voice. Also, his name is Rocko, Rocko rocks! He likes rainbows, and he's a guy. I just gotta admire that. But he's not gay just cause' he likes rainbows and has a shirt with purple triangles. I think it's adorable that he likes rainbows! But it's just so disappointing that all the bad stuff happens to him, I mean he doesn't deserve it. He never did anything wrong- this is just like how on a Futurama episode, Fry was trying to bring his dog Seymour back to life, but the dog never did come back to life. That's just annoying the audience, cause' I'm pretty sure everybody wanted the dog to come back to life, just like how all the Rocko fans probably get annoyed that bad stuff happens to him. And Melba should date him. I feel so sad when Melba rejects him. Poor thing! Anybody would be lucky to even be his acquaintance. He's a great guy.

Okay, this review about Rocko's Modern Life has turned into a review about Rocko -_-

My second favorite is Filburt, I like the fact he has glasses. I'm just a sucker for glasses.

His dog Spunky is pretty cool I guess, pretty FUNKY name!

I just wish there were more episodes than just 52, this show is just great!

• This show is perfect! Literally I can not name single flaw. The jokes are funny, cleverand said at the right time, the charachters are colorful and bright. I remember as a kid having a huge crush on Rocko lol. His personality was definitly the best!

Rocko's modern life was definitly one of the best shows of the 90s. This was a time when shows were so good on television, you could not decide which one to watch. I always chose Nick though because of mainly Dough and Rocko. The music was great, the characthers were HILARIOUS and now I notice the the show was cleverly written to hide some adult jokes in as well. The show was EXTREMELY watchable and it is defintily a show to watch if youw want to get a great laugh, or understand the meaning of friendship, people, or life in general.

I HIGHLY reccomend Rocko, Doug, and Angry Beavers! Hands down the best shows on Nickelodeon!

• A perfect 90s Nicktoon

Rocko's Modern Life is the story of a wallaby, born and raised in the sunburned land Down Under, Australia. A few years ago, he left the comfort of his native continent and came to live in the United States (because of a bully named Dingo). Since then, he's managed to pick up an assortment of oddball, but well-meaning, friends including a gluttonous Heffer Wolfe (actually a Steer who was adopted by a family of wolves), a faithful pet pooch named Spunky, and a paranoid hypochondriac turtle named Filbert with a personal philosophy. "Turn the page, wash your hands, turn the page, wash your hands." I think Rocko's Modern Times is the best show on Nick during the 90s. I think all the characters are likeable. The best characters for me are Rocko and Heffer. Most of the episodes are enjoyable. I only hate like 3 episodes in this show. I liked that there are some of the crew that used to work on this show before SpongeBob. The voice acting were great. Overall, this show is amazing and I'm glad I get to record some of the episodes that were recently aired on TeenNick. 10/10

• You had to be there...

In the early/mid 90s, More than shows like Animaniacs or The Simpsons,RMLproved to me that adults were back into toons again -like it had been in the 40's with Tex Avery, or the 20's with Felix the Cat. It was surreal, mental,edgy but at the same time cute and endearing, thanks to the hapless but loveable wallaby main character (though it was akinda odd Australian accent). Nothing else was quite like this show, and sadly Joe Murray never reached such heights again (e.g. his pretty dreary 'Camp Lazlo' from the 00's).

Though I hadn't realised it, I had been waiting all my life to see mad experimental giraffes on afternoon tv. With this before dinner and X-Files, Babylon 5 or DS9 after, I was a happy camper.

The show was was wonderfully adult, but unlike contempories like Ren and Stimpy, still cool for kids. An animated 90's Gem which time has forgot, along with the like of Road Rovers, or The Critic.

When I first visited the USA in 1997 a Weiner-mobile pulled up outside the hotel I was staying in Albany NY. I never knew such things really existed. Maybe Rocko was an accurate portrayal of mid 90's America after all!

Rod

• No Nicktoon will ever beat this one

Old Nicktoons like Rugrats and Invader Zim were great and creative,but they are nothing compared to this show. Rocko's Modern Life is about a wallaby named Rocko who goes through modern life with his friends Spunky,his pet dog,Heffer,a cow and Gilbert,a turtle. Originally,I rated this a 6,however,I never saw much of this show,and now,I love it. Rocko is the main character of the show,and is not stupid,Heffer is his friend,who I think is hilrailous,the neighbors (Forgot their names) are hilrailous,everyone is funny on this show. Also,this show does something different from every Nicktoon:hell references. I'm not kidding,this was on a Nicktoon. In the first episode I saw with a hell reference,Heffer went on a game show where he needed to get 1 point after 665 to win,and ended up in hell,or "you know what" and in another episode,Rocko was at a carnival and a game had "Hell" in the title. but sadly,this ended after 3 years,which sucks because this was their best Nicktoon. Nick,cancel iCarly,Fanboy and Chum Chum and Spongebob and bring this back. Joe Murray,bring this back. Overall,a great Nicktoon and is their best one ever created
  • This was not only "trademarked" 90's show, it was probably one of the greatest television programs ever made. (Click here for an interesting review, researched facts and trivia, and critiques)

Ah, Rocko's Modern Life. Even the name is music to my ears...

Rocko's Modern life was based on the adventures of an Australian wallaby who lived in the hectic town of O-Town, and he often got into adventures with his pals, Heffer (an obese steer), and Filbert (a somewhat nerdy and seasick turtle), along with his tiny dog named Spunky.

This, along with shows like Dexter's Laboratory, SpongeBob Squarepants, Johnny Bravo, etc. was one of the shows that defined my childhood. I remember sitting upstairs in my room with my brother around 6:30 PM in the evenings watching this hilarious cartoon. I always loved it's bizarre jokes and surreal humor. The characters were all so colorful and humorous and they each had a distinct personality that gave the show a certain type of vibe that couldn't be matched by any other show (unless you count SpongeBob Squarepants, and coincidentally, it was made by the same people).

The music in the show was always so mellow and relaxed and added to the atmosphere of the program. If the atmosphere was supposed to be relaxing, the music was relaxing, if the atmosphere was supposed to be scary, the music was a little scary, and so forth.

One comment I have to make is that the show is highly-notorious for having some adult-oriented humor as well as jokes little kids could laugh at. For one thing, the show was notable for referencing homosexuality and dirty innuendos. The restaurant that the trio liked to hang out was named "Chokey Chicken" and was renamed "Chewey Chicken" for...various reasons. Also, this show sometimes went a little over the limit, and had a few episodes remove some scenes because it was "too mature" for kids. An example would be in a camping episode when Rocko was eating some berries at a bush. He grabs for one of the berries, only to reveal a bear screaming in pain and holding it's "private area".

The reason why the show had some adult-oriented humor was because Mr. Joe Murray, the creator of the show, stated that he didn't understand children's humor yet. He knew only how to amuse adults. Either way, I, being a kid when this show was on the air, loved it nonetheless.

I'm not so sure about anyone else, but I find this cartoon virtually flawless. It had a catchy theme song (especially the version by the B-52's) and the comedy was just gold. My research has shown that a lot of the writers, directors, and voice-actors from this show went on to work on SpongeBob Squarepants, a Nicktoon that is alive and well today. However, this show is going downhill fast, mainly due to the fact that the original writers of SB have left the series to pursue other projects.

Tom Kenny, the voice for Heffer Wolffe on Rocko's Modern Life, is the voice of SpongeBob, while Mr. Lawrence, the voice of Filbert, is the voice of Plankton, Mr. Krabs' arch nemesis and business rival.

I really didn't notice when this show was cancelled, as re-runs were shown all the time. The show was incredible, and although some of it's glory lived on in it's offspring, SpongeBob Squarepants, it was really a loss for 90's kids.

Mr. Joe Murray later on to create another show, this time for Cartoon Network, called "Camp Lazlo". Although it did have a few of the original voice-actors for Rocko, as well as some of the same directors, to me, that show seemed like a Spongebob wannabe, and it got a little stale after seeing similar storylines and personalities.

Both are always happy, have two buddies with them, similar soundtracks, a character who despises them (Squidward is to SpongeBob as Lumpus is to Lazlo), and the character "Patsy Smiles" resembles "Sandy Cheeks" in a few ways, like the fact that they both are both furry, small creatures, and have some kind of relationship with the main characters.

For the most part, Rocko's Modern Life was a great show, and I certainly hope it gets released to DVD real soon.
  • Such a great cartoon

This along with Hey Arnold! Rugrats Invader Zim and The Angry Beavers are my favorite Nicktoons. This show is about A Wallaby named Rocko who moved from Australlia to the United States. He Lives in the O-Town. He makes some friends like Heffer and Filbert. Rocko has a Kangaroo Tail. He Also Has A dog called Spunky. People usally call Heffer a Big fat Cow. I'm glad this still comes on Nicktoons But 1. It's on too early in the Morning. It's Also Only on Wednesdays. My Favorite Character is Rocko. Characters 10/10 Perfect Characters

Humor 10/10 Amazing Funny Humor

StoryLine 9/10 Awesome Story

Overall This Is A Great Cartoon
  • Rockos Modern Life!

I remember when I first saw this show. It wasn't on Nick, but it was on Nicktoons. It was a great show, really funny and it kinda seemed like Looney Tunes. they have great characters(Rocko the wallaby, Heffer the Steer, Fillburt the Turtle, Mr. and Mrs. Bighead) I think this show was Steve Hillenburg's inspiration for Spongebob. He was in charge for the whole 4th season once Joe Murray left. Just like the way Paul Tibbit took over Spongebob when Steve Hillenburg left. Rockos modern Life is a great show with great episodes(Road Rash, Canned, Zanzibar, Trash O Matic, Fortune cookie, Wacky delly) I highly reccomend this show to Spongebob fans and Ren and Stimpy fans, but nobody under 7, because there's mild gross humor.
  • I do not like this show. Sorry.

3.3
    I seriously don't know why people like this show. It's just another show about an animal and his life. Well, Spongebob's that too but that's sea creatures. I'm talking about land creatures acting like humans who just try to live their normal life. Other examples of this are the Angry Beavers, the Ren and Stimpy Show, and others. Anyway, I just don't enjoy the characters except for Rocko, which I actually feel sorry for because he's constantly trying to do something but one of his friends just always messes it up for him. And the plots for the show are just wierd and random, and I don't know, it's just not entertaining to me. So that's all I have to say.
  • This was one of my favorite shows growing up. It was funny, creative and entertaining as well.

Rocko's Modern Life to say the least had a very interesting cast of characters, from the mild mannered wallaby Rocko, the gluttonous steer Heffer, to the egotistical turtle Filbert. The thing I loved most about these 3 is when Heffer and Filburt would argue and fight. There's just something downright hilarious about them getting each other's faces and brawling. XD. Another thing I loved about this show was the Bigheads, especially Ed. He was just such a loudmouth jerk that you loved to see him getting his just comeuppance. Bev was another I kinda liked, although I thought she was too flirtatious with other men while married.

I even enjoyed the character Dr. Hutchison. Although, I do wonder why she married Filburt. Kinda of a bizarre pairing I have to admit.

Anyway, this show was one of the better ones from the 90's.
  • One of the best Nicktoons ever made in my mind. Should be on Nickelodeon not on Nicktoons Network.

I really liked this show. This is definetely one of the best Nicktoons ever made. This show is about Rocko, a kind, smart wallabee who lives with his dog, Spunky in O-Town. Rocko, along with his best friends Heffer, and Filbert have many adventures in every day life. The humor in this show is good. Most of the jokes are really funny. My favorite episode was the one when Rocko was teaching Mrs. Wollfe how to drive. I thought that episode was really hilarious! Isn't it coool how you can have a trainee driver compete in a demolission derby and win. That's really cool. The dialog in this show is awesome!! The funny moments with Rocko, and Heffer will keep you hooked on the series. The lines, and actions are child friendly, which is good. Overall, awesome show, great humor, awesome dialog, solid music, lovable characters. I just wish that this show is on Nickelodeon instead of Nicktoons Network. They rarely show it on NN. Rocko's Mern Life in my mind, should replace horrible shows like The Naked Brother's Band, and Tak. I miss this show alot!
  • This show was just simply AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

When this show was a show,I thought it was gonna be horrible,and one of those shows where Nick just tries to make extra money,but one day there was nothing on so I decided to give Rocko a try,and after I watched it I simply fell in love with it. Pros Good Humor nice story line nice plot a talking wallaby how original The lessons in each episode Cons Animation Why does everything move? This show was a real childhood classic.I really recommend watching this show
  • One of the funniest cartoons ever

This show was about a wallaby named Rocko, who emigrates to America from Austrailia, and has adventures with his friends Heffer the steer, and Filburt Turtle. Rocko also had neighbors named the Bigheads who didn't really like him at all (well, maybe just Ed, but still) and they're important to the show too. One of the things I really like about this show is all the adult jokes they were able to hide in it, like for example they're restaurant was called "Chokey Chicken" for most of the show's run (not going to explain the joke, go on wiki or something.) Overall, a very inventive, classic, and funny show, and a favorite of mine. 10/10 A+
  • I have never seen a cartoon better than this one.

Rocko's Modern Life is the fourth Nicktoon. It premiered in 1993, and it sadly ended in 1996. The show follows an Austrailian wallaby named Rocko as he moved to the a strange American town, O-Town. There he meets his new best friends Heffer, and Filburt. This show contains some off-the-wall craziness, similar to the previous Nicktoon "The Ren & Stimpy Show", but the difference is "Rocko's Modern Life" is EVEN CRAZIER! And that's a good thing, because if it weren't for that this show wouldn't be near as funny as it is. I love Rocko's dog Spunky. He's just so stupid that he's cute. A lot of people who worked on this show later worked on the popular 1999 Nicktoon "SpongeBob SquarePants". A show that is good, but near as good as this one! The only cartoons that even come close to being as good as Rocko are "Ren & Stimpy", "The Tick", "Freakazoid!", "Animaniacs", "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy" and "The Angry Beavers". All of wich came out in the 90's! Man, I really miss those great cartoons. RML really, really, REALLY needs to be released on DVD. If it was I'd buy it in a second! Another thing this show was notable for was it's adult innuendos. Some people say the innuendo makes this show innapropriate for children. I disagree. I don't think any kid would pick up on any of those. I didn't even notice them until recently on YouTube. Overall, everyone should give this show a chance. It is hilarious, and one of the most enjoyable cartoons of all time. It shares the #1 Best Nicktoon spot with "The Ren & Stimpy Show".

My Rating: 10 out of 10.