Rocko's Modern Life

Nickelodeon (ended 1996)

mysterytipster

Rocko's Modern Life Fan Reviews (187)

• This was not only "trademarked" 90's show, it was probably one of the greatest television programs ever made. (Click here for an interesting review, researched facts and trivia, and critiques)

Ah, Rocko's Modern Life. Even the name is music to my ears...

Rocko's Modern life was based on the adventures of an Australian wallaby who lived in the hectic town of O-Town, and he often got into adventures with his pals, Heffer (an obese steer), and Filbert (a somewhat nerdy and seasick turtle), along with his tiny dog named Spunky.

This, along with shows like Dexter's Laboratory, SpongeBob Squarepants, Johnny Bravo, etc. was one of the shows that defined my childhood. I remember sitting upstairs in my room with my brother around 6:30 PM in the evenings watching this hilarious cartoon. I always loved it's bizarre jokes and surreal humor. The characters were all so colorful and humorous and they each had a distinct personality that gave the show a certain type of vibe that couldn't be matched by any other show (unless you count SpongeBob Squarepants, and coincidentally, it was made by the same people).

The music in the show was always so mellow and relaxed and added to the atmosphere of the program. If the atmosphere was supposed to be relaxing, the music was relaxing, if the atmosphere was supposed to be scary, the music was a little scary, and so forth.

One comment I have to make is that the show is highly-notorious for having some adult-oriented humor as well as jokes little kids could laugh at. For one thing, the show was notable for referencing homosexuality and dirty innuendos. The restaurant that the trio liked to hang out was named "Chokey Chicken" and was renamed "Chewey Chicken" for...various reasons. Also, this show sometimes went a little over the limit, and had a few episodes remove some scenes because it was "too mature" for kids. An example would be in a camping episode when Rocko was eating some berries at a bush. He grabs for one of the berries, only to reveal a bear screaming in pain and holding it's "private area".

The reason why the show had some adult-oriented humor was because Mr. Joe Murray, the creator of the show, stated that he didn't understand children's humor yet. He knew only how to amuse adults. Either way, I, being a kid when this show was on the air, loved it nonetheless.

I'm not so sure about anyone else, but I find this cartoon virtually flawless. It had a catchy theme song (especially the version by the B-52's) and the comedy was just gold. My research has shown that a lot of the writers, directors, and voice-actors from this show went on to work on SpongeBob Squarepants, a Nicktoon that is alive and well today. However, this show is going downhill fast, mainly due to the fact that the original writers of SB have left the series to pursue other projects.

Tom Kenny, the voice for Heffer Wolffe on Rocko's Modern Life, is the voice of SpongeBob, while Mr. Lawrence, the voice of Filbert, is the voice of Plankton, Mr. Krabs' arch nemesis and business rival.

I really didn't notice when this show was cancelled, as re-runs were shown all the time. The show was incredible, and although some of it's glory lived on in it's offspring, SpongeBob Squarepants, it was really a loss for 90's kids.

Mr. Joe Murray later on to create another show, this time for Cartoon Network, called "Camp Lazlo". Although it did have a few of the original voice-actors for Rocko, as well as some of the same directors, to me, that show seemed like a Spongebob wannabe, and it got a little stale after seeing similar storylines and personalities.

Both are always happy, have two buddies with them, similar soundtracks, a character who despises them (Squidward is to SpongeBob as Lumpus is to Lazlo), and the character "Patsy Smiles" resembles "Sandy Cheeks" in a few ways, like the fact that they both are both furry, small creatures, and have some kind of relationship with the main characters.

For the most part, Rocko's Modern Life was a great show, and I certainly hope it gets released to DVD real soon.