Rocko's Modern Life

Nickelodeon (ended 1996)

mysterytipster

Rocko's Modern Life Fan Reviews (184)

• You had to be there...

In the early/mid 90s, More than shows like Animaniacs or The Simpsons,RMLproved to me that adults were back into toons again -like it had been in the 40's with Tex Avery, or the 20's with Felix the Cat. It was surreal, mental,edgy but at the same time cute and endearing, thanks to the hapless but loveable wallaby main character (though it was akinda odd Australian accent). Nothing else was quite like this show, and sadly Joe Murray never reached such heights again (e.g. his pretty dreary 'Camp Lazlo' from the 00's).

Though I hadn't realised it, I had been waiting all my life to see mad experimental giraffes on afternoon tv. With this before dinner and X-Files, Babylon 5 or DS9 after, I was a happy camper.

The show was was wonderfully adult, but unlike contempories like Ren and Stimpy, still cool for kids. An animated 90's Gem which time has forgot, along with the like of Road Rovers, or The Critic.

When I first visited the USA in 1997 a Weiner-mobile pulled up outside the hotel I was staying in Albany NY. I never knew such things really existed. Maybe Rocko was an accurate portrayal of mid 90's America after all!

Rod