Roman Holidays

NBC (ended 1973)

Roman Holidays Fan Reviews (3)

5.6
  • Set in 63 A.d. this cartoon featured Augustus Holiday, wife Laurie, teenaged son, Happius, yung daughter Precocia and their cowardly lion, Brutus. Their enemy is their landlord, Mr. Evictus who detests the family because of the lion.

This is a poor-quality, direct knock-off of Flintstones and Jetsons. This family has two children, like the Jetsons though set in 63 A.D. in Rome. Mr. Evictus, the "mean" landlord attemtps to evict the family too often, he sounds too friendly so the threats do not hold any weight. As is typical of families in the 1970's, the father worked long hours then expected his family to be quiet and/or dote upon him; where is the originality?Gus and Laurie's children do not have best friends so they must continuously either be with each otheror Grovia, Happy's girlfriend. Theirpet, Brutus seriously lacks humor since he is so cowardly, he would bebetter suited if he had appereaed on The Wizard of Oz though for all his cowardice, he is lovable. About the only positive thing I can state about this rubbish is the day it went off the air!

• the Flintstones Set in the Roman Empire

I recall seeing "The Roman Holiday." the title was taken after the 1953 title of the movie and the premise was taken after "The Flintstones." but the outcome is different. I happen to like the series. it was one of a few TV series to grace Saturday Morning TV in the early 1970's, especially during the 1972-73 serson on NBC. I saw an episode of the series a few yeasrs ago on the Cartoon Network and it brought me back memories. Too bad the series lasted only 14 episodes, I had fun with a few and that's is good enough for me.
  • Been there, done that.

6.4
    Hanna-Barbera's "The Roman Holidays", one of NBC's one-season wonders on Saturday morning, was pudding proof that there's nothing new under the animation table lamp, but that could be attributed to the fact that the studio was working on seven separate cartoon shows in the 1972-73 season and a batch of one-hour "movies" on ABC's "Saturday Superstar Movie."

Essentially an animated sitcom, it tries to do with Bread And Circuses what "The Flintstones" did with the Stone Age. Augustus Holiday (Gus for short, voice by "Wacky Races" announcer Dave Willock) is an architect and a family man, with a wife, Laurel; a daughter, Precocia (voice by wonderful Pamelyn Ferdin);, and a son, Happius (Happy for short. Happy Holiday. Get it?) They live in an apartment with a slap-happy pet lion, Brutus, much to the chagrin of landlord Evictus (voice by the irrepresible Dom DeLuise), whose "no pets allowed" clause is iron-clad but often broken.

It's fail-safe comedy that really just sits there, in spite of a Hanna-Barbera-created laugh track that seems to be having the time of its life.