Rome Forums

HBO (ended 2007)

Who is you favorite character from Rome and why.

JohnnyDrama8

[1]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 10

Mine is Titus Pullo because he showed the duality of man he was good and bad at the same time. Also he had some great fight scenes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sajwest

[2]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 23
    JohnnyDrama8 wrote:

Mine is Titus Pullo because he showed the duality of man he was good and bad at the same time. Also he had some great fight scenes.

i have to agree with you on that one.Titus Pullo is my fave as well.He had the sensitive side (with Eirene especially) but he also fought hard when he needed to. (Ray Stevenson is not bad to look at either! )

closly followed by Atia though.She is so devious and catty that it's funny!

SMGslayer97

[3]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 34
    sajwest wrote:
    JohnnyDrama8 wrote:

i have to agree with you on that one.Titus Pullo is my fave as well.He had the sensitive side (with Eirene especially) but he also fought hard when he needed to. (Ray Stevenson is not bad to look at either! )

closly followed by Atia though.She is so devious and catty that it's funny!

I agree with both you. He has so much more depth then meets the eye. Just looking at his relationship with Eirene, his friendship with Vorenus. He thinks with his heart which is great but sometimes leads him into trouble and makes quick decisions and takes actions that you don't always agree with but that's part of what makes him appealing because we all have that in us. We can all make rash decisions that lead us down the wrong road but the truth is that if we are good people, like Pullo, we'll find our way back. Pullo's like the every man and the fact is that the every man can be much more complex then we give him credit for, just like in real life.

nas2344

[4]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 3
    Mark Antony! such a powerful man, i love his actions!

Vyce3

[5]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 14
    I vote for Octavian. There's a reason why he is known as Rome's best and longest emperor.

But yeah Pullo was a great character too

JohnnyDrama8

[6]Aug 28, 2007

nas2344 wrote:

Yeah Marc Antony was pretty good.

SMGslayer97

[7]Aug 28, 2007
    JohnnyDrama8 wrote:

nas2344 wrote:

Yeah Marc Antony was pretty good.

He would probably be my second favorite.

LordJaguar

[8]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    Marc Antony and old Gaius Julius Ceasar himself. I was sad when Ceasar got all stabbed to death, even if it has been written in history for centuries.

comage

[9]Oct 5, 2007

My vote would go to Lucius Vorenus. His loyalty in the series is unparalleled, which makes him a respectable man.

I really was rooting for him to tell his children that he didn't kill Niobe himself (although he did have that notion at that point of time), but he didn't. Niobe jumped off the balcony herself and committed suicide; Vorenus didn't have any hand in that.

SsriTelQuessir

[10]Oct 19, 2007
    • level: 26
    comage wrote:

My vote would go to Lucius Vorenus. His loyalty in the series is unparalleled, which makes him a respectable man.

I really was rooting for him to tell his children that he didn't kill Niobe himself (although he did have that notion at that point of time), but he didn't. Niobe jumped off the balcony herself and committed suicide; Vorenus didn't have any hand in that.

Vorenus is my favorit character as well. Although, I do disaggree that he didn't have anything to do with Niobe's death. Choices are not made in a vacuum; if Vorenus was huffing and puffing holding a knife in his hand starring daggers at Niobe, does she jump? Maybe, maybe not. What if he said, 'the past is in the past'...or 'I forgive you'...or something like that, then does Niobe jump?...I don't think so.

Ssri Tel'Quessir

alp1981

[11]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 18
    I'd have to agree with the lot of you regarding Pullo. I can't really say it any better than has already been said, but Pullo is my favorite.

oldounce

[12]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 1

Can Ionly exclude who I really hate in this show? I almost faovr all of them except adult Octavian, his mother and sister were quite right, he's a real monster. Besides, his wife.

I favor Vorenus, Pullo and Anthony at a same level, also Caesar. They are all brave and attractive men, with brilliant stories;Iadmire thoseladieswho lived in that period either, no matter finally who won the battle of power, they're intelligent and skillful.

I really do not like Octavian and his wife, theywere young and smart and successful, but reasonlessly I'm sick on their behavior.

Edited on 11/03/2007 11:24am

SMGslayer97

[13]Nov 4, 2007
    In the first season and even at the very start of the second season Octavian was this very smart kid who I found very likeable. But somewhere between leaving home in season 2 and returning as a young man something changed, and I don't just mean they switched the actors who played Octavian. He became a monster, he was not the same logical boy he once was.

solgrifter

[14]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 31

Marc Anthony was just an outragious character. He was fun to watch and had the best reactions to events.

"I will not leave this bed until I've f***ed something!"

You can't say that's not gold. I also liked Pullo and even though a lot of people didin't like her, I liked Gaia too.

SMGslayer97

[15]Nov 6, 2007
    I hated Gaia, after what she did to Irene! I hated Gaia. I liked her name though.

solgrifter

[16]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 31
    True, but she was a strong female character (given, for all the wrong reasons) that was not a victim like almost everyone else. And you remember her. The actress was hot to, that helped.

harpier

[17]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 9

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    In the first season and even at the very start of the second season Octavian was this very smart kid who I found very likeable. But somewhere between leaving home in season 2 and returning as a young man something changed, and I don't just mean they switched the actors who played Octavian. He became a monster, he was not the same logical boy he once was.

Oh, I've got to disagree here. Well, let me back up, I very much agree with the choice of characterization for every character in Rome, and many of them are not the traditionally held perceptions--particularly Octavian, Brutus and Cicero. However, I think that every choice of characterization in Rome is historically defensible, though never provable; such is the nature of history. Although I'm not sure I approve of the casting change (though Simon Woods did a fine job as the adult Octavian, I'm not convinced it was necessary), I understand the producers' inclination to emphasize the time lapse and maturation of Octavian. Nevertheless, I think the writers were very careful to plant the seeds of intelligence, political shrewdness, the occasional apathy for the plight of the individual in favor of the interest of the multitude, and the willingness to do what it takes in the youthful Octavian of Season 1 to prepare the audience for the powerful political manipulator in Season 2. I see the change not as one of character but as one of situation, much like Henry V between Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part I to Henry V--same man, new situation and new responsibilities. I don't see any character from Rome as a "monster" (though Atia makes a run for the title, even she betrays her vulnerability behind her bloody machinations), but I do see a society functioning under different moral codes and principles than our own.

angrodpallanen

[18]Dec 5, 2007
    • level: 22
    In my opinion all the characters of Rome are brilliant. They are so unique, so well written it blows my mind everytime I watch an episode.
    Atia has always been my favorite, so where Octavian and so is Octavia. Octavian changed too much when they changed the actor and I really can't stand him at the end of the series. Anyway, it was a great show with great characters, from Pullo to Vorenus, from his daughters to Cleopatra, all of them where amazing!

Vincent2013

[19]Feb 28, 2008
    I liked Octavian for the simple fact that he seemed to be briiliant without even trying.

JohnnyDrama8

[20]Mar 12, 2008

I was re-watching Rome Season 1 + 2 so I thought I would check the board. I was suprised to see this was still on top discussion here. So yeah from what I read Titus and Lucius were the fan favorites for the most part glad they were the two core characters who interacted with all the others. Titus Pullo's performance just comes on so strong and on point thats why he is still my favorite. Everyone made valid points accept. Octavian not being a monster till second season he had the evilness in his eyes a couple times when he was young.

Top 5 would be

1. Titus Pullo

2. Mark Antony

3. Atia of the Julii

4. Lucius Vorenus

5. Julius Cesar (A shame he couldn't have lived a bit longer or he would have been higher)