Rome Forums

HBO (ended 2007)

Why did they change the actor who played Octavian?

Zanshinkyo

[1]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 28
    I just watched the fourth episode, and they now have another actor playing Octavian.
    Can anyone tell me why they changed?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

entity0

[2]Feb 5, 2007
    because when octavian meets up with marc anthony, he meets him as a man and with more men backing him then ever. he will be a great maybe even the greatest leader of rome that ever was. its in history. time has passed some for hbo to wrap up the series cause they arent bringing it back for its third season.

chaosrainz

[3]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 17
    I assumed it was because it was supposed to be a few years after the beginning of the events that started the show and that original actor looks so very much like a child and now they want Caesar Octavian to be a man, fighting battles, leading Rome, etc.

t3uv

[4]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 10
    It had to be done to show a much older and mature Octavian since he's soon going to be emperor. But I wish they had done it earlier, when Octavian returned from studying abroad for example. If I am not mistaking, Julius Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC and the battle of Mutina, depicted in the latest episode, took place in 43 or 42 BC. Octavian could not have changed that much in two years.

Revolos55

[5]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 33
    I'm going to miss Max Pirkis, but I think Simon Woods did a great job of carrying over some of his mannerisms.

entity0

[6]Feb 5, 2007
    has anyone seen the trailer for the next episode?

pdh1978

[7]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 5
    Revolos55 wrote:
    I'm going to miss Max Pirkis, but I think Simon Woods did a great job of carrying over some of his mannerisms.

Yeah, he did an excellent job - I kept thinking to myself "that is a different actor, right?"

The only thing that really bugged me about the change is that Caesar Octavian has grown up, and yet Octavia hasn't aged at all...

LeeroynJenkins

[8]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 1

This was a huge mistake.

Not only does the new Octavian look nothing like his younger self but he acts and speaks unlike him as well… night and day.

They should have spent a bit more time and energy matching the two before committing.

It really took me out of the show which, despite this gaff, is still one of my faves.

Anybody notice that no one else seems to have aged so dramatically?

Even Lucius, Vorenus’s illegitimate son, seems to look exactly the same.

Not a lick of difference.

Why’s Octavian the only butterfly in the entire cast?

Clumsy casting.

Libaax

[9]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 8
    Of course Octavian acts diffrent as a General. The guy was prolly a genius cause he was the greatest emperor ever in Rome. He is smart enough to act more like a general than a book warm among his men.

I think the new actor plays the role perfectly. A general cant look like 13 years like other actor looked like, no matter how old he really is in period of time.

About Octavia: she was already full grown since she was older. How much diffrence can you look between 18-20.

oldwiseman13

[10]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 9
    Libaax wrote:
    Of course Octavian acts diffrent as a General. The guy was prolly a genius cause he was the greatest emperor ever in Rome. He is smart enough to act more like a general than a book warm among his men.

I think the new actor plays the role perfectly. A general cant look like 13 years like other actor looked like, no matter how old he really is in period of time.

About Octavia: she was already full grown since she was older. How much diffrence can you look between 18-20.
    i compleetly agree i think that the new actor was brilant they made an exelent desition

BenFarstrider

[11]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 3
    I did some mousing around on the interweb and couldn't really find much info on why they switched Octavian.  However, based on something I was told and what I read on the original  Octavian's (Max something?) imdb page, I believe he simply did not want to continue playing the role.  Possibly because it would interfere with school.  Also since this is the last season he probably didn't see it as losing out too badly.

This is why no one else looks older...though i agree that it would have made WAY more sense to have him as the new, older, Octavian when he returns from Greece, where he was training with Agrippa.

Also I am very glad that Octavia was not changed because that actress is GORGEOUS.  And since the loss of Indira Varma as Niobe the show has too few truly stunning women on it.

JalineTV

[12]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 18
    I'm pretty sure they changed him for the very fact that Octavian is getting to be extremely powerful. There needed to be some change in his age and appearance to suggest the transformation from a teenager to a man.

In my opinion, yes, there are many differences between Max (who used to play him) and Simon (who plays him now). They have different physical appearances and their hair texture is also different. However, Simon seems to be doing a good job with Max's (and Octavian's) mannerisms and his voice is quite similar too.

Libaax

[13]Feb 10, 2007
    If they had more seasons, they would make the aging part seem more realistic. Have more eps with the smart teen octavian and then changing him to the man that becomes so powerful.

Now they dont have a choice exactly....

JACKSICA

[14]Feb 10, 2007
    YOU ARE SO RIGHT. TEEN BOYS SEEM TO LOOK MORE DIFFERENT THAN GIRLS WHEN THEY ARE GOING FROM THERE TEENS.

Dezzie2

[15]Feb 11, 2007
    I think that the change was a little sudden, seeing as it was only over a period of three months (in the show), but they had to change actors. Mostly because Octavian was getting older, but also because they needed his character to do sex scenes and since Max Pirkis is underage (I believe) he wouldn't be able to do them.

I personally think, although Simon Woods does not look much like Max Pirkis, that he is a great choice. He embodies the character of Octavian from the show and especially from history. His cold, calculating demeanor is what they needed for a character who is to become the first emperor of Rome.

Ajrocks27

[16]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    Revolos55 wrote:

I couldnt agree more.

mc31

[17]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 13

Libaax wrote:
    Of course Octavian acts diffrent as a General. The guy was prolly a genius cause he was the greatest emperor ever in Rome.

You are only as great as your legacy.  Augustus paid a lot of people a lot of money to record his deeds which were largely falsified and fraudulant.  Livy makes us believe that this man actually restored the Republic?  For all we know, Augustus could have been a snivelling coward much as was Claudius depicted. 

Libaax

[18]Feb 13, 2007
    Yeah of course the winners tells the history as always.

Still i did study him and became more impressed with him when i actually knew what my teachers knew for sure about him about.

Like how he kept the north people away from Rome and how far north his empire went.

I dont care about his character but there was a reason, Rome were never as big and as strong as under him.

I dont know what you have read about him but the things he did that i know are impressing.

I did study archeology and the things i saw that was found after his empire was very interesting.

Unlike historians, we dont read stuff written by people that wanted to look better, its all about what you find after a civilasation and what that tells you
    Edited on 02/13/2007 7:27am

Scribonius

[19]Feb 14, 2007
    Well if you know your history, you will know Augustus actually wanted to restore the Republic, but the Plebians rioted when he tried to give up his powers and the senate knew he couldn't become a private citizen again. I agree History is written by the winners but knowone can dispute the Pax Romano under Augustus, and when he actually became Princeps he was actually very merciful, as with Sextus Pompey and Lepidus unlike when he was Octavian.

beowulf314159

[20]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 9
    Scribonius wrote:
    Well if you know your history, you will know Augustus actually wanted to restore the Republic, but the Plebians rioted when he tried to give up his powers and the senate knew he couldn't become a private citizen again. I agree History is written by the winners but knowone can dispute the Pax Romano under Augustus, and when he actually became Princeps he was actually very merciful, as with Sextus Pompey and Lepidus unlike when he was Octavian.

Are you referring to Octavian's attempt to "retire" as Princeps, the Senate objecting loudly, Octavian insisting that it was "all too hard" for one man to do, and the Senate "suggesting" additional powers that would make his job easier? What historians call the the "First settlement"?

I think a large portion of Historians regard that as a bit of political theater, with allies and political stooges of Octavian both objecting to his resignation and making "suggestions" for new powers for Augustus.

I certainly can't find any historical reference support for there being a Plebeian riot.