Room 101

Ricky Gervais

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Apr 22, 2002 on BBC

• It could be because it is an early episode; it could be because of the guest; it could be because of Paul's suit: either way this episode is awful!

Usually I enjoy Room 101 despite what guest is on: generally Paul Merton can make a show good despite having a lacklustre guest. However, nothing seemed to work on tonight's episode! Firstly, the guest was Ricky Gervais: usually I think this guy is very funny (David Brent of "The Office) but he didn't seem to be on top form tonight. This either means he was just having an off-night or he is terrible at improvising!

Secondly, Gervais' choices seemed truly inane and unoriginal: come on, lateness? Yes it is something that bugs us all but please choose something more funny and original for a TV chat show!

Thirdly, Paul Merton didn't seem to be able to rile Gervais up enough: usually he can make the guests feel comfortable and relaxed but he himself seemed very tense this time around.

Finally, the audience didn't seem to want to be here. The laughter felt very hollow and put on, not at all like it sounds on the later episodes. Speaking of laughter, did anyone else think Gervais' laugh was extremely annoying? He looked like his mouth was caught on a fish hook and someone in the rafters was hoisting him up!

All in all this is certainly not Room 101's greatest effort. I'm not going to give it a 1.0 score as nobody pays any attention to those reviews. The biggest laugh I managed to get from this show was an old clip from Children In Need of a belly dancer. And because of that clip alone I grant this episode a low rating of only 3.0. Sorry!