Roots: The Next Generations

Part 4

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 21, 1979 on ABC

• A history lesson...

In a further attempt to frame the main story within historical context, this episode dives head-first into the injustices suffered by African American men in the U.S. military. From the very beginning, with a dramatic sequence showing the military gallows where convicted African American soldiers were hung in Texas, through to the segregated platoons in WW I Europe, one wonders how much more a put-upon group can take, particularly when they return to the U.S. to a frightened segment of the population who fear these battle-hardened men and their ability to use a gun. However the episode also shows what families did and still do to survive such treatment, and how life must go on. We also see how a family will strive to obtain a higher education and how this can help open the door, albeit even if just a crack, to moving up in society. And the result of what has been built up to reach this point in the miniseries, is the birth of the author of this story, Alex Haley.

An excellent episode that adds the right amount of historic context regarding little known facts about the injustices suffered during the WW I era.