Roots: The Next Generations

Part 5

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 22, 1979 on ABC

• Jumping hurdles...

In yet another informative episode, we find that the hard times of the Great Depression doesn't discriminate by class. And so now with a double burden, Simon Haley is left scraping for a professorial job somewhere and everyone suffers. But as millions of families did in real life, they came together and pooled resources, and this was shown dramatically with Simon working for his father-in-law at the lumber yard, and in a way, was lucky to have that. However his drive to get his plum job is strong and he does finally get it. However we are now treated to still more injustices that take place within the historic context of Roosevelt's "New Deal" and the creation of subsidies in the farm sector, as the country moves further and further away from agricultural pursuits and is going full force into the industrial age. And being involved in a school specializing in A & T, Simon is smack dab in the middle of it. With this as a backdrop, we are shown more injustices within the society, as some within the African American community rise up into the lettered society while others are trapped as share-croppers and even bilked out of their share of subsidies. And even within the colleges, we find that it often made no difference, as "shuckin' and jivin'" was still expected, whether you were an illiterate farmer or a PHD.

Sadly, as we segue back into the family story, we find young Alex trying to deal with his mother's illness but throughout it all, the legacy of his family and oral history of its members, continue to be passed onto him.

A good episode, although a bit too-focused on the farm sub-plot.